Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

uli84 wrote: »
    Whom is it best to hassle regarding the restart of the National screening programme? I am overdue 2 of those and I’m really anxious and annoyed, their helplines are useless.

Send a tweet to Ivan Yates. And send a message to all your TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Celebrations. Dont you think that after 2.5 months of misery we deserve a holiday? You know there are people on German forums saying the same thing planning their trip to Dublin, Temple bar... no point in going to Spain or Greece in December you know.

But this is all wishful thinking. Last time I checked only thing govt did in relation to the "great plan" is to bring forward horse racing. And shaft IKEA for 3 weeks.

Celebrations you say? I think not.

Sure the country will be broke cos of the lockdown:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hard to guage real public opinion but was talking to a client this morning, she's the first person outside my family or friends that has said we are too slow to open up.
    But here's the thing, she's French, so presumably has to foresight to make her opinion from watching various news sources not just those from our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So we've gone from saying our government and health officials are eejits, to now piling on to the public when as a majority they don't agree with those shouting the most on this thread? Full of empty vessels and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I loved that aspect of lockdown too, and feel myself nostalgic for it already. But say yourself that this is just a return to normality, and what you describe is an Irish cultural problem rather than a COVID / relaxation of restrictions one.

Yes I would agree. I think the lockdown just highlighted it.

I loved that aspect of lockdown too, and feel myself nostalgic for it already. But say yourself that this is just a return to normality, and what you describe is an Irish cultural problem rather than a COVID / relaxation of restrictions one.

The lack of gridlock traffic was another bonus at a time of gloom with social events all shut down. When this is over we have to find ways of preventing the return to tailbacks and gridlock which causes untold misery on people as they're stuck cocooned in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Forecast of mid to high 20s for the coming days and weekend, it's going to be interesting to watch the reaction on social media to busy beaches

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The lack of gridlock traffic was another bonus at a time of gloom with social events all shut down. When this is over we have to find ways of preventing the return to tailbacks and gridlock which causes untold misery on people as they're stuck cocooned in their cars.

Hopefully employers will be more open to people working from home or some kind of alternative locations after this. Before all this my employer was hesitant to even let people work at different branches let alone working from home. That kind of attitude needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Hopefully employers will be more open to people working from home or some kind of alternative locations after this. Before all this my employer was hesitant to even let people work at different branches let alone working from home. That kind of attitude needs to change.

Absolutely. These are the things we need to bank from this. People have demonstrated it can work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

South Korea reports highest one day total of new cases for 6 weeks. It's always going to be lurking until there's a vaccine.

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1265452399881097217

and the knock on effect

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1265479443088203777

South Korea reports highest one day total of new cases for 6 weeks. It's always going to be lurking until there's a vaccine.

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1265452399881097217

and the knock on effect

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1265479443088203777

40 out of a population of 51 million...

And most are related to the previous cluster identified in a nightclub last week.

It's not really that big or unexpected, new cases will still be found in low numbers as we're seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

40 out of a population of 51 million...

And most are related to the previous cluster identified in a nightclub last week.

It's not really that big or unexpected

I dont even know why are we being told about this?

Even if 500 new cases appeared in South Korea all time high - so what? not a single person died.

At this stage reporting on flu numbers from Fiji might be as relevant. Or irrelevant I should say.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Hurrache wrote: »
    So we've gone from saying our government and health officials are eejits, to now piling on to the public when as a majority they don't agree with those shouting the most on this thread? Full of empty vessels and all that.

In a years time, we will see who was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭PixieValentine

He’s made himself look like a bit of an idiot here, but to be fair, reading that article, that actually sounds to me like it bears out the “he’s been staying in Farmleigh for work purposes” thing. I haven’t listened to whatever radio interview this article references, but the piece says he talks about having the use of a place in Farmleigh that’s equipped in a way his own home isn’t, then when he’s teased about it by the hosts for it being “salubrious” (according to Ryan in the article anyway) he says he’s still in Carpenterstown or something. Which sounds, to me reading it anyway, like he was saying “but the fancy place isn’t mine, I still live in my normal flat”- as in, he still lives there normally, so don't accuse him of being lord of the manor type thing. Doesn't actually seem to me like it's any big reveal. Or, well, maybe I’m being overly generous but that’s what I got from reading it. That’s obviously not the angle the press are pushing though. (You know you live in weird times when a politician having a picnic is a huge deal! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Ah here now I called it yesterday, just wrong country

"SWITZERLAND TO FURTHER RELAX RESTRICTIONS

The Swiss government will today decide on further steps to ease coronavirus restrictions, Switzerland’s Neue Zürcher Zeitung reported.

According to the paper, the current upper limit of four people per table at a restaurant will be lifted, although larger groups would still be required to leave contact details so they could be informed of potential infection if necessary.

Meanwhile, Swiss Health Minister Alain Berset is planning on reopening zoos, theaters, cinemas, mountain railways and public swimming pools when the next reopening phase starts on June 8. Up to 1,000 people could then be allowed to gather in football stadiums or theaters.

There are also plans to reopen discos and night clubs from June 8, although doubts remain over how safety precautions could work there."

Also, I believe Swiss were on similar timelines as us.

What the hell is going on here

Real question is, when will Bundesliga and La Liga stadiums start to fill up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jackman25 wrote: »
    In a years time, we will see who was right.
    That's hopelessly optimistic of you. In a years time, everyone will still believe they were right.

Some people will point at billions in public debt and a relatively low number of deaths as proof that the response was a drastic and costly overreaction.

Others will point to relatively low deaths and an improving economy as proof that the actions taken were justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

Probably most touching thing I read here. So true. But it does get infuriating when breast cancer check and cervical check services been cancelled for the last 11 weeks. So empathy is one thing, but government seems to think that non covid hospital treatments and procedures are non essential, which is the biggest proof of how incompetent they are and have been.

I wont ofc go into "lets give 200,000 people more money to keep them at home than what they'd earn working"

History books will not overlook what happened in this country in 2020. And will, rightfully so, remind me us of this tragedy for years and decades to come.

Its terribly sad and probably the way forward for many countries now

Stop reporting covid figures

Report the covid deaths with other deaths and move on, Germany are starting this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Hurrache wrote: »

This thread is just the same people over and over saying the restrictions are over, we'll open up the economy ourselves etc. yet they are still here every single day telling us this. Not a reflection of reality offline.

Like the guy who kept saying someone needs to organise a protest like they had in Spain. If it means that much to you why not organise it yourself rather than bleating on about it here?

The Swiss government will today decide on further steps to ease coronavirus restrictions, Switzerland’s Neue Zürcher Zeitung reported.

According to the paper, the current upper limit of four people per table at a restaurant will be lifted, although larger groups would still be required to leave contact details so they could be informed of potential infection if necessary.

Meanwhile, Swiss Health Minister Alain Berset is planning on reopening zoos, theaters, cinemas, mountain railways and public swimming pools when the next reopening phase starts on June 8. Up to 1,000 people could then be allowed to gather in football stadiums or theaters.

There are also plans to reopen discos and night clubs from June 8, although doubts remain over how safety precautions could work there."

Good to see. Are they at the exact same juncture in Switzerland re this evolving situation as we are? Are their testing facilities ahead of ours? Have they a better health system than us? The last one there is a rhetorical question.

• Advertisement

A decent read if you've spare time. Theres a few different scenarios put down and into graphs as to how it could all play out. In general most scenarios imply it will take 2-3.5 years for the economy to return to pre crisis levels but along rests on interest rates and the ability to borrow.

https://twitter.com/Orla_Hegarty/status/1265574716401729537?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

I dont even know why are we being told about this?

Even if 500 new cases appeared in South Korea all time high - so what? not a single person died.

At this stage reporting on flu numbers from Fiji might be as relevant. Or irrelevant I should say.

South Korea have had 5 people under 50 die from Covid 19 in the 6 months its been around

5 young people out of 55 million population

Surprised it makes news in SK

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

seamus wrote: »
    That's hopelessly optimistic of you. In a years time, everyone will still believe they were right.

Some people will point at billions in public debt and a relatively low number of deaths as proof that the response was a drastic and costly overreaction.

Others will point to relatively low deaths and an improving economy as proof that the actions taken were justified.

We will be have a fair idea via other European countries which eased restrictions much earlier than we did, whether we were right to take it glacially slowly, if those countries see a second wave or if we unnecessarily added 10s of billions to our national debt.
    Another 8 weeks for us to be able to travel outside 20KM. In a years time we will know if this was a complete load of bollocks, which at the moment it looks like being. This should be dropped immediately - if only for the sake of the timid who are the only ones obeying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Unfortunately this is one aspect thats likely to get worse.

As more and more people go back to work, because of our 2m social distancing rules and the utter fear without any optimism still coming from our official sources people are not going to be using public transport.

Therefore the car becomes the transport method of choice.

I see a lot of people bemoaning extra traffic on the roads as signs that people arent abiding restrictions etc when in reality what theyve done is made the car the only safe mode of travelling for a huge majority.

In many ways we have been lucky with the weather, wait till we have a few rainy days!

Good to see. Are they at the exact same juncture in Switzerland re this evolving situation as we are? Are their testing facilities ahead of ours? Have they a better health system than us? The last one there is a rhetorical question.

In terms of cases they reported 15 new cases and 2 deaths yesterday.

They've had low levels (under 50 per day) of new cases reported now for nearly 2 weeks.

This thread is ridiculous. People just wanting to have a go at FG, Harris etc just because............well, because.

I'd put good money that the same goons would be calling for Leo's head if we came out of lockdown early and there was a spike in cases.
    RobitTV wrote: »
    Why on earth are we only moving to phase two!? when the bloody cases are tumbling!

Plenty of people pointing to the lowering of deaths and confirmed cases saying we should be opening back up with zero awareness of correlation/causation. Has it ever dawned on anybody that the whole reason they're tumbling is BECAUSE of the restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Yes Switzerland had the same trajectory as us. Similar population. One of the worst affected in Europe like us. Peaked in week 2 April. Started easing on April 27th.
    Can we learn from them. YES
    Have we learned from them. NO
    Will we learn from them. Not looking good with our shower in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Jackman25 wrote: »
    We will be have a fair idea via other European countries which eased restrictions much earlier than we did, whether we were right to take it glacially slowly, if those countries see a second wave or if we unnecessarily added 10s of billions to our national debt.
    Another 8 weeks for us to be able to travel outside 20KM. In a years time we will know if this was a complete load of bollocks, which at the moment it looks like being. This should be dropped immediately - if only for the sake of the timid who are the only ones obeying it anyway.

I read an article over the weekend (i must dig it out) that was talking about the funding we will get from Europe to help the country get back to its feet etc.

The article was referring to the fact that many countries will not look kindly on the situation in Ireland in regards to the monies being handed out with a really long drawn out restriction plan.

Essentially the gist of the article was will other European countries who will be all back to work be comfortable with handing over money to Ireland who have decided no, we arent going back to work yet but give us the money anyway and we may or may not, ye work away though paying taxes and contributing though.

It referenced the headline from last week with 40k being better off sitting at home on covid payments and if your in another european country how do you feel about funding being given to pay that whilst you go back to work.

It may be something to keep an eye on, already Holland were a bit wary of handing out monies to the likes of Italy on the basis that they contributed to a lot of their own problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I notice Easons are re opening tomorrow I don't see how this fits into the phased road map???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Plenty of people pointing to the lowering of deaths and confirmed cases saying we should be opening back up with zero awareness of correlation/causation. Has it ever dawned on anybody that the whole reason they're tumbling is BECAUSE of the restrictions?

Honest question, what are you suggesting then?
    We either look to get society back to normal, or we are saying we need to stay in this lockdown state indefinitely?

If we can't talk about things lifting when new cases are less than 50, when can we?

The shift of the narrative to remaining like this until 0 cases everywhere is crazy. How long do people think it's reasonable to do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement