Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

the kelt wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is one aspect thats likely to get worse.

As more and more people go back to work, because of our 2m social distancing rules and the utter fear without any optimism still coming from our official sources people are not going to be using public transport.

Therefore the car becomes the transport method of choice.

I see a lot of people bemoaning extra traffic on the roads as signs that people arent abiding restrictions etc when in reality what theyve done is made the car the only safe mode of travelling for a huge majority.

In many ways we have been lucky with the weather, wait till we have a few rainy days!
    I'm talking long term. Yes in the short term public transport will be underused more than normal. Common sense will have to prevail though.

It will be impossible to social distance by 1 metre let alone two but everyone wearing masks etc and adhering to handwashing will make it as workable as possible. Again there are other examples from other countries ahead of us re what's happening in public transport busses trains and trams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Jackman25 wrote: »
    We will be have a fair idea via other European countries which eased restrictions much earlier than we did, whether we were right to take it glacially slowly, if those countries see a second wave or if we unnecessarily added 10s of billions to our national debt.
    Another 8 weeks for us to be able to travel outside 20KM. In a years time we will know if this was a complete load of bollocks, which at the moment it looks like being. This should be dropped immediately - if only for the sake of the timid who are the only ones obeying it anyway.

Lol to see whos right we only need to wait till December next year latest. If we have excess cancer deaths in thousands then it will be very obvious that govt and HSE suspending cervical check and breast cancer check/ non covid treatment services to facilitate lockdown and empty covid hospital capacity was a very bad idea.

Lockdown is only good if it saved lives. If it caused more cancer deaths in 2021 in Ireland then lockdown strategy was clearly shi*e. Youd have to be high to argue otherwise

PS may not be December btw, cancer deaths could spike in April May June next year in epic proportions, unfortunately. Will be interesting to see what Leo says in the Dail then.

snowcat wrote: »
    Yes. We will never know when exactly the peak was but ICU occupation for all European countries was on the decline from around week 2 April. I had it mapped at one stage. Ill dig it out for you if you like.

Would be interesting to see

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

This thread is ridiculous. People just wanting to have a go at FG, Harris etc just because............well, because.

I'd put good money that the same goons would be calling for Leo's head if we came out of lockdown early and there was a spike in cases.

Plenty of people pointing to the lowering of deaths and confirmed cases saying we should be opening back up with zero awareness of correlation/causation. Has it ever dawned on anybody that the whole reason they're tumbling is BECAUSE of the restrictions?

Why are we not seeing second waves in the European countries which are lifting restrictions then?

South Korea reports highest one day total of new cases for 6 weeks. It's always going to be lurking until there's a vaccine.

https://twitter.com/koryodynasty/status/1265452399881097217

and the knock on effect

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1265479443088203777

That's a good news story - clusters getting caught, traced and eliminated with enhanced targeted measures as appropriate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Plenty of people pointing to the lowering of deaths and confirmed cases saying we should be opening back up with zero awareness of correlation/causation. Has it ever dawned on anybody that the whole reason they're tumbling is BECAUSE of the restrictions?

But what was the point of the restrictions only to be in a position to open up again?

Thats what a lot of people dont seem to be able to grasp, the mantra was and always has been to "flatten the curve" to lower the numbers, thats whast been done yet some think, ok well keep going, keep going until when? Has the policy changed from flatten the curve?

Its like people dont look past lockdown when it comes to correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

manniot2 wrote: »
    Haha the IKEA thing was hilarious. They knew the place would be mobbed so they shafted every homeware shop in the country. They are a clown act.

Idiocy of the highest order and typical of the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach of the Government. Couldn't figure out a way to regulate queues for IKEA so close it down for another 3 weeks and lose all of the economic benefits it provides.
    Surely they could have taken some of the guards that are f**king about turning people around on the roads, to do something useful with a bit of traffic work around IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Idiocy of the highest order and typical of the sledgehammer to crack a nut approach of the Government. Couldn't figure out a way to regulate queues for IKEA so close it down for another 3 weeks and lose all of the economic benefits it provides.
    Surely they could have taken some of the guards that are f**king about turning people around on the roads, to do something useful with a bit of traffic work around IKEA.

100%.

They were quick to dispense guards to McDonalds drive thru...

PS probably 1000+ employed in homeware stores throughout the country. Not just IKEA.

The whole 5 phase plan and shafting homestores as "typo" 2 days before they are due to re open is as shambles as it could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

What's all this bullshít about a "second wave"??? There hasn't been a F**king first wave in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭sporina

thelad95 wrote: »
    I notice Easons are re opening tomorrow I don't see how this fits into the phased road map???

yes June 1st apparently? Thought book shops could not open till June 29th? Can't wait for my local book store to open..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

thelad95 wrote: »
    I notice Easons are re opening tomorrow I don't see how this fits into the phased road map???

I read June 10th in one of the articles that did the rounds yesterday (also mentioning employees made redundant), so straight after the implementation of phase 2.

Edit: this is the article I referred to:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eason-to-lay-off-150-staff-as-it-prepares-for-june-reopening-1.4262251

Damian F wrote: »
    What's all this bullshít about a "second wave"??? There hasn't been a F**king first wave in this country.

Ah, so the 25,000 confirmed cases and likely 150,000+ actual cases have not happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

This thread is ridiculous. People just wanting to have a go at FG, Harris etc just because............well, because.

I'd put good money that the same goons would be calling for Leo's head if we came out of lockdown early and there was a spike in cases.

I gave some specific examples of people going about their business in essential services and zero infection on the sites,among their staff or their clients

Sites like pharmaceutical manufacturing where upwards of 700 staff work shifts.

Home Help organisation visiting hundreds of homes all day and all night

Defense forces whose duties necessitate practically living on top of each other.

All of these people , tens of thousands throughout this island, have continued their work throughout this crisis.
    They go home from work and interact with multiples of that tens of thousands

According to the lockdown live in fear brigade the people involved in these practises should be dead and gone long ago.

... and I repeat. No infections .

Why?
    Simply good hygiene and discipline and situationsl awareness.

Cop on, get a grip on your fears and get back to life. Or dont. Just dont expect everyone else to crawl into a corner and wait til kimgdom come before going to do a days work or enjoying the sunshine whilst taking every reasonsble and responsible precautiom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

100%.

PS probably 1000+ employed in homeware stores throughout the country. Not just IKEA.

The whole 5 phase plan and shafting homestores as "typo" 2 days before they are due to re open is as shambles as it could get.

The reality is that people are probably bored so whatever opens it'd likely see a surge in business initially. I expect the same when phase 2 kicks in and I think shop owners should have already prepared on how to deal with it from a social distancing perspective.
    On that note my local barber did a refurb the last few weeks. The first obvious thing is they got rid of the sitting/waiting area, so people will have to wait outside - the good thing is that they are in a small type (1 floor) of shopping center (with entrance on road levels only) so people can wait outside without getting affected too much by the weather. But hopefully they will operate with appointments.

Also I don't expect anything to change for phase 2. I'd think there is zero chance of "changing the message" on the build-up to the last long weekend for 2 1/2 months. Probably that's why Simon Harris continues sounding like a broken record. I think phase 2 will remain as is and any changes will be in phase 3 - either as a speedier reopening of 2 weeks instead of 3 weeks between phases or by merging the last 3 phases into 2.

Week 3 of this phase will be interesting as any surge in cases would be there, but I would be surprised if they don't stick to phase 2 without any more "typos" - otherwise they will risk losing some more cooperation from people - they have lost some already at least based on my observation of my local area with people gathering and not necessarily maintaining the 2 meters social distancing - especially teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

100%.

Agreed the plans a joke with moving goalposts and what happened with IKEA and the typo 2 days beforehand and then a big laugh and a joke by our elected ministers when questioned about it at the briefing

Would make your blood boil.

We won’t even go into the almighty crock of sh1t they made of the leaving cert.

It’s looking ever more likely that in 8 weeks time when the exams were actually due to begin that we may actually have zero cases with the current rate of decline

And all the pro lockdown brigade will say how can you know there’ll be zero cases by end of July?

Well the answer is I don’t but it’s the very same as Simon Harris and Dr Tony saying that this very dangerous second wave is coming

How can they be so sure either?? They can’t and it’s no good waiting for something that may never happen.

The only wave I want to see is goodbye to each of them before they continue to destroy our country and society any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Agreed the plans a joke with moving goalposts and what happened with IKEA and the typo 2 days beforehand and then a big laugh and a joke by our elected ministers when questioned about it at the briefing

Would make your blood boil.

We won’t even go into the almighty crock of sh1t they made of the leaving cert.

It’s looking ever more likely that in 8 weeks time when the exams were actually due to begin that we may actually have zero cases with the current rate of decline

And all the pro lockdown brigade will say how can you know there’ll be zero cases by end of July?

Well the answer is I don’t but it’s the very same as Simon Harris and Dr Tony saying that this very dangerous second wave is coming

How can they be so sure either?? They can’t and it’s no good waiting for something that may never happen.

The only wave I want to see is goodbye to each of them before they continue to destroy our country and society any further.

In fairness when the pressure was on for a solution to leaving cert they had no way of knowing and as you said "current rate of decline" not rate of decline when answers were needed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

likely 150,000+ actual cases have not happened?
    made up number !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1265092589931229185

This might be why South Korea can lift restrictions a bit quicker. The carrot of more freedom comes with a very large stick.

Imagine the outrage (from the same people who want to open up quicker) if this happened in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

You can absolutely guarantee the same posters would be asking for his head.

Anything for a go at "Ta Gubbermint"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Ah yes the gubbermint, did you get sick of going on about Gemma? The majority of people aren't disputing the need for lockdown, they're disputing the ordeal of relaxing them, but I guess it's easier to cast people as idiots for your little strawman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

SAMTALK wrote: »
    In fairness when the pressure was on for a solution to leaving cert they had no way of knowing and as you said "current rate of decline" not rate of decline when answers were needed

That’s true but to call it off 11 weeks out was a complete over reaction to say the least.

And now look at the mess it’s created.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That’s true but to call it off 11 weeks out was a complete over reaction to say the least.

And now look at the mess it’s created.

It followed the same pattern of everything else with Covid. Reactionary hysteria rather than calm well thought out actions.
    Said it at the time cancelling it was nuts. I’ll be proved right, the fallout will drag on for years.
    FG are led by social media group think these days. Leo and Harris live their lives around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It’s the gloomists and doomsters running out of fuel because the virus is dwindling. So the 2nd wave is now the new thing to refuel the fetish. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

****ing hell.

Benimar wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/vicjkim/status/1265092589931229185

This might be why South Korea can lift restrictions a bit quicker. The carrot of more freedom comes with a very large stick.

Imagine the outrage (from the same people who want to open up quicker) if this happened in Ireland.

"But but but why aren't we following the lead of other countries, their number are low, why aren't we following their lead?".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

11 weeks ago there was nothing on the media other than complaints about the impacts of the leaving cert uncertainty on the mental health of those who were doing it, and would the government make a decision.

So they did, and now we have an outbreak of hindsightedness amongst certain posters.

Are we supposed to wait forever until we have absolute certainty?

All you have to do is cast you mind back to the weekend when clowns were trying to make a thing of Varadkar being in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Hurrache wrote: »
    "But but but why aren't we following the lead of other countries, their number are low, why aren't we following their lead?".

Will people stop talking about a country on the far side of the world that we have nothing politically culturally or economically in common. Compare us to our closest neighbours in our Union. We are the slowest in the eurozone to react to the recovery. As others have pointed out we will be bottom of the queue when we go begging for money to pay for this farce as we will have been seen to make a bad situation from a health and economic view immeasurably worse by this ridiculous pathway of lifting restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Hurrache wrote: »
    All you have to do is cast you mind back to the weekend when clowns were trying to make a thing of Varadkar being in the Phoenix Park.

The Park he said 2 weeks ago he was only working beside and not actually staying over in?

• Advertisement

Honest question, what are you suggesting then?
    We either look to get society back to normal, or we are saying we need to stay in this lockdown state indefinitely?

If we can't talk about things lifting when new cases are less than 50, when can we?

The shift of the narrative to remaining like this until 0 cases everywhere is crazy. How long do people think it's reasonable to do that?

Nobody is suggesting anything of the sort, you're railing against a policy that doesn't exist. I'm suggesting that we give the plan a chance. It hasn't been two weeks since the 1st restrictions were lifted. We've been told that this thing has an incubation period of two weeks, so how about we hold fire on the "let's take back our economy" talk until we see what effect the 1st lifting had?......
    Y'know, like the plan says?

I don't get what people think the government are trying to do, here? Do you honestly think that they want to keep the economy down because of some control over the populace or something? Do you not think they'd prefer to have everything ticking over again so they can pat themselves on the back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement