Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

snowcat wrote: »
    Will people stop talking about a country on the far side of the world that we have nothing politically culturally or economically in common. Compare us to our closest neighbours in our Union. We are the slowest in the eurozone to react to the recovery. As others have pointed out we will be bottom of the queue when we go begging for money to pay for this farce as we will have been seen to make a bad situation from a health and economic view immeasurably worse by this ridiculous pathway of lifting restrictions.

Ah, so selective outrage it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Micheal Martin very much questioning the lockdown policies in the Dail. Calling for a removal of any travel distance and suggesting a change from 2m to 1m. Also questioning the abitrary differences in having some shops open and other closed. Referencing the lack of spikes in countries across Europe after they've opened. Finally some sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

AdamD wrote: »
    Micheal Martin very much questioning the lockdown policies in the Dail. Calling for a removal of any travel distance and suggesting a change from 2m to 1m. Also questioning the abitrary differences in having some shops open and other closed. Referencing the lack of spikes in countries across Europe after they've opened. Finally some sense?

Ah yes, him and Larry Moo hiding for weeks on end and now crawling out of the woodwork with populist ideology to try get public opinion on their side while a government formation is on-going in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

The tide is turning.

He isnt the best now but tbh even a pencil would do better than Leo & co.

God help him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah, so selective outrage it is then.

No just general outrage. Maybe you will talk to Ursula in a few weeks when we run out of money and explain why we should get lent more money that our neighbours. Explain to her why we did not change course when it was obvious that our easing policy was too slow. Why should we get any support when other countries made the brave decisions? The fact that they paved the way for us and we decided we would go cross country instead is unforgivable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is no doubt in my mind that our snail
    paced road map is because Tony Holohan is terrified that any tiny surge will expose our grossly inadequate Health services

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

hmmm wrote: »
    11 weeks ago there was nothing on the media other than complaints about the impacts of the leaving cert uncertainty on the mental health of those who were doing it, and would the government make a decision.

So they did, and now we have an outbreak of hindsightedness amongst certain posters.

Are we supposed to wait forever until we have absolute certainty?

Should never ever have been called off 11 weeks before due date.

It was and is one of the easiest things to implement social distancing for.

Baffling decision and as another poster said mass hysteria and panic decision making.

11 weeks ago or whenever the original date was moved to end of July and that should have been that

How they panicked within two weeks and decided to not have any exams I’ll never know or see the logic in that decision with months to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Has he woken up? I doubt it. He’s as consumed my mania as the rest of them

cajonlardo wrote: »

... and I repeat. No infections .

Why?
    Simply good hygiene and discipline and situationsl awareness.

Cop on, get a grip on your fears and get back to life. Or dont. Just dont expect everyone else to crawl into a corner and wait til kimgdom come before going to do a days work or enjoying the sunshine whilst taking every reasonsble and responsible precautiom.

1. You cannot say there has been zero infections with any degree of certainty, its just not possible

2. Good hand and respiratory hygiene amongst front line staff is one thing, however there is a minority of Irish people who flatly couldn't give a fiddler's fart about anybody, not even themselves or their kids, and leaving the fate of a couple of hundred lives in their hands is not okay with me.

3. Saying anyone opposed to the lifting of restrictions is gripped by fear, is akin to me saying everyone trying to lift them just wants to go for a pint and a haircut. It's divisive and not at all representative of what others are trying to say.

4. Nobody is prevented from enjoying the sunshine, you're talking bollocks there I'm afraid

5. Stick with the plan, see what the figures are like on the weekend and progress from there. Truth of the matter is the government have, for the most part, played a blinder. People won't give them the credit they're due because of party affiliation or woke anti-gubbermint nonsense or whatever, but they should be commended.

Question to those wanting to lift the restrictions:

If on Saturday it turns out that the first lifting of restrictions led to a trebling of new cases and deaths, would that change your opinion? If not, how many deaths would it take for you to be uncomfortable enough that you'd want it to back to full lockdown?

Also, very interesting that hes doing it now in light of below news coming out. Now its a salvage job for him

"Coronavirus: New government faces financial hole of €11bn
    Irish Fiscal and Advisory Council says worst-case scenario could be €15bn"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/coronavirus-new-government-faces-financial-hole-of-11bn-1.4263320?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Feconomy%2Fcoronavirus-new-government-faces-financial-hole-of-11bn-1.4263320

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Why are we not seeing second waves in the European countries which are lifting restrictions then?
    It has always been suggested that any second wave is unlikely to hit until the autumn/winter

Having said that we clearly do not know enough about this virus to properly understand infection patterns

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Getting ready to make his grand entrance into power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

sporina wrote: »
    yes June 1st apparently? Thought book shops could not open till June 29th? Can't wait for my local book store to open..

It's good to see places take their own action and not follow strictly the phased reopening plan. Regardless, a book shop should also have been essential. I've been horsing through them the last two months when I haven't read books propey for years.

made up number !

No its not - if we assume the death rate in Ireland is broadly in line with that in other countries which have conducted serology testing, there is likely to have been somewhere between 150,000(worst case) and 600,000(best case) people infected with SARS-CoV2 in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Nobody is suggesting anything of the sort, you're railing against a policy that doesn't exist. I'm suggesting that we give the plan a chance. It hasn't been two weeks since the 1st restrictions were lifted. We've been told that this thing has an incubation period of two weeks, so how about we hold fire on the "let's take back our economy" talk until we see what effect the 1st lifting had?......
    Y'know, like the plan says?

I don't get what people think the government are trying to do, here? Do you honestly think that they want to keep the economy down because of some control over the populace or something? Do you not think they'd prefer to have everything ticking over again so they can pat themselves on the back?

Of course not.

The problem I have and anyone who isn't on a wind-up, is with the plan's timescale. It's bizarre and unnecessary and miles out of touch with everyone else. With no explanation. That's all.

First time I've heard from / about him in weeks. Populist nonsense. If he really opposed the Govt policies he'd have done a deal with the other parties, ousted the current lot, and implemented his own policies.

Spineless, snivelling slieveen is what he is.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There is no doubt in my mind that our snail
    paced road map is because Tony Holohan is terrified that any tiny surge will expose our grossly inadequate Health services

It’s been well exposed already with the handling of the testing

Cancelling tests,changing test criteria to suit what they could handle, up to 3 weeks for results and some no results at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

1. You cannot say there has been zero infections with any degree of certainty, its just not possible

2. Good hand and respiratory hygiene amongst front line staff is one thing, however there is a minority of Irish people who flatly couldn't give a fiddler's fart about anybody, not even themselves or their kids, and leaving the fate of a couple of hundred lives in their hands is not okay with me.

3. Saying anyone opposed to the lifting of restrictions is gripped by fear, is akin to me saying everyone trying to lift them just wants to go for a pint and a haircut. It's divisive and not at all representative of what others are trying to say.

4. Nobody is prevented from enjoying the sunshine, you're talking bollocks there I'm afraid

5. Stick with the plan, see what the figures are like on the weekend and progress from there. Truth of the matter is the government have, for the most part, played a blinder. People won't give them the credit they're due because of party affiliation or woke anti-gubbermint nonsense or whatever, but they should be commended.

If on Saturday it turns out that the first lifting of restrictions led to a trebling of new cases and deaths, would that change your opinion? If not, how many deaths would it take for you to be uncomfortable enough that you'd want it to back to full lockdown?

Excellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,601 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I am calling for everyone to boycott Ryanair after this campaign by Michael o sneery to try and get flights back up as normal and Fcuk the passengers health

Of course not.

The problem I have and anyone who isn't on a wind-up, is with the plan's timescale. It's bizarre and unnecessary and miles out of touch with everyone else. With no explanation. That's all.

Its definitely not normal that Switzerland will allow up to 1,000 football fans in their football stadiums 8th of June onwards, while we here cant get a haircut until 20th of July or go to a cinema or gym till 10th of August.

Both countries have 80% + free capacity for hospital & ICU beds as of today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Here is piece as the main headline in the Irish Independent today of where you might 'catch' the virus, with a picture of a supermarket shopper to boot. Have they forgotten that only 10 out of 4000 thousand Aldi staff tested positive with zero deaths? Our case numbers now are very low.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/as-the-number-of-deaths-and-new-cases-continue-to-fall-where-are-people-now-picking-up-coronavirus-39237078.html

I really hope people start to look at news sources from outside of Ireland, delighted to hear Míchael Martin speak up in the Dáil today. Maybe I'll be driven back to support FF after all by FG's absolute incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I am calling for everyone to boycott Ryanair after this campaign by Michael o sneery to try and get flights back up as normal and Fcuk the passengers health

Nah.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Damian F wrote: »
    What's all this bullshít about a "second wave"??? There hasn't been a F**king first wave in this country.

And why do you think that? Presumably that's because we've done a decent job in "avoiding" it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’ll more likely support them now. Shove this rubbish , the hypochondriacs can stay at home. Be a lot less ditherers for us to be stuck behind in queues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I'm calling on everyone to support jobs, employment and travel at affordable prices to and from Ireland, and help O'Leary try and get Ireland out of the dark ages while the rest of Europe reopens to travel and tourism. I haven't heard the full interview, but from what I read on RTE news, I agree with everything he said today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,622 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have they? I suppose we won't really know for a year or two but comparison by any metric to similar sized countries don't exactly show us to have played a blinder at all

And the last bit of your post is nonsense, I'd bet anything it won't happen. Suggesting its even likely is exactly what's annoying people, driving policy through fear that isn't rational

Question to you - if on Saturday we have less than 10 deaths and less than 50 new cases will you change yours?

If you want 0 new cases and 0 deaths you can say that. We wont brand you as Gerry Killeen.

First time I've heard from / about him in weeks. Populist nonsense. If he really opposed the Govt policies he'd have done a deal with the other parties, ousted the current lot, and implemented his own policies.

Spineless, snivelling slieveen is what he is.

Easy see the way Martin is thinking. When the tide is turning he voices his opinion against current restrictions regulations etc just to try and gain some popularity.

All in his own cause. He’d sell this country down the river just to be Taoiseach he doesn’t give a dam about anything else.

Where’s he been for the last couple of months.

Like a lad that turns up when all the work is done and proclaims to everyone how hard he worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

No thanks, you quite clearly have no idea how aircraft filtration systems work and the policy of masks on board along with other measures.

Where are the clusters relating to aircraft??

You can stay at home if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

On Saturday if all the restrictions were lifted, no you would not have a trebling. Thats unless all the nursing home residents and over 70's have a mass rave in croke park.
    No one is asking for mass gatherings to be reinstated. Just do what our neighbours have been doing since the end of April.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement