Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

After the behaviour yesterday of people going to the beach and queuing up for ice cream, the easing of restrictions cannot happen on the 18th as planned, there will be 3 week delay for phase 1 and 6 weeks between the stages. There will be advice to Government next week on whether to cancel Christmas or not.

That's some source you have there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

the kelt wrote: »

Yep which is going to happen everywhere. No matter what happens there will be a spike in every country that eases restrictions.

The thing is Korea have in place a rapid turnaround when it comes to testing of people combined with a sophisticated track and trace system which means they will quickly track trace and isolate.

Unfortunately we are in the dark ages when it comes both of those aspects and they are every bit as important as lock down, restrictions etc etc but a lot of people think lock down etc is the only game in town because all the other aspects don’t get discussed.

Maybe because to discuss this would be to admit the failings at those levels?

But did they Irish government not say they going follow the S.Korea model?
    'We're following South Korean model in coronavirus fight' - Varadkar plays down talk of lockdown in Ireland

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/were-following-south-korean-model-in-coronavirus-fight-varadkar-plays-down-talk-of-lockdown-in-ireland-39067488.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

mandrake04 wrote: »

I think we're closer to emulating the north Korean model at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

frillyleaf wrote: »
    They surely can’t extend it again for another three weeks. The case figures are too low to warrant this.

The Blueshirts failed in the 1930’s but the legacy of O’Duffy has risen again in the 2020’s.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can we please keep this thread to the topic in the title. I've just moved a load of posts to the main Covid 19 thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

R number in Germany back up to 1.1. We will see over the coming week what this means.

Maybe our slow reopening approach might prove the most sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's some source you have there lol

They probably were on Facebook or WhatsApp plenty of photos from the UK yesterday been protrade as been from Ireland especially on some Facebook feeds last night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

The lock down for individuals is over now
    People can choose to isolate at whatever level they decide
    There is not enough guards and army to police west Dublin never mind the country

It’s just a case of waiting for businesses lock down to finish
    I know of one pub where publican is living above and having ‘private’ parties
    Has been raided but he is not doing anything illegal so guards cannot do anything
    Rightly or wrongly You will see more of this

The most important thing the government can do now is come up with a plan for getting primary secondary and further education back to normality by September
    There are no excuses here, they have four months to crush any union resistance

Being honest the reason I want the schools open are selfish reasons.
    I believe the majority of teachers are useless and the rest are dangerous ideologues But it’s a free crèche

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

As of 8pm last night there are 72 patients in ICU with confirmed covid.
    Likewise as of 8pm there are 543 confirmed cases in acute hospitals in Ireland.

Compare this to last Sunday morning when there were 93 in ICU and 665 in acute hospitals.

Safe to say it's all heading in the right direction for Monday 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    R number in Germany back up to 1.1. We will see over the coming week what this means.

What will be interesting to see is if their R number keeps going up to 1.5 etc but their deaths are very very low as they are properly protecting at risk group, what will they do (if anything)?

• Advertisement

What will be interesting to see is if their R number keeps going up to 1.5 etc but their deaths are very very low as they are properly protecting at risk group, what will they do (if anything)?

We need to get ours down to 0, so everything should be locked down until then - bring in the army if needed. And this exercise lark needs to stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

rob316 wrote: »
    They were late going into lockdown but they went in the same time as us and have the same measures. More in common than you care to admit. Hopefully they are a bit quicker reopening and that pressures our lot to review the timeline.

Why should it? Anyway with the UK`s dreadful death rate due to the virus they aren`t exactly role models for any other country to follow.

Somewhat lockdown related although I dont think we do fines in Ireland? yet? Or is the fine determined in court once someone who breaches lockdown rules is brought forward?

"
    TOP ROMANIAN COURT SAYS LOCKDOWN FINES UNCONSTITUTIONAL

The Romanian Constitutional Court ruled today that fines handed down to people found not respecting lockdown measures were unconstitutional.

The court said the decree setting out the penalties was imprecise and there was no clear criteria for the level of fines, Universul reported.

The authorities have collected some €120 million in fines since March, which the government said would be used to finance the health care system.

Romanian Prime Minister Ludovic Orban said he was shocked by the decision, which he called political. He warned that authorities may be unable to fine people for not respecting lockdown rules, which are expected to start being relaxed in mid-May."

We need to get ours down to 0, so everything should be locked down until then - bring in the army if needed. And this exercise lark needs to stop.

At some point over the next 6 to 9 months that may become necessary.

None of that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know, based on the new timetable, when Argos will open ? I need something that they won't deliver.

That's going to be impossible whilst maintaining a somewhat functioning economy. Consistently Below .8 should be the goal for now with increased testing and implementing lessons learned from other countries in areas they have been successful.

If we went with what you propose, there will be average Joe's and their families eating out of bins this time next year.

The benefits of exercise outweigh the negatives.

Discodog wrote: »
    Does anyone know, based on the new timetable, when Argos will open ? I need something that they won't deliver.

From 8th June I believe.

That's going to be impossible whilst maintaining a somewhat functioning economy. Consistently Below .8 should be the goal for now with increased testing.

If we went with what you propose, there will be average Joe's and their families eating out of bins this time next year.

Damn thats the harshest way anyone in this thread put down economic consequences of the lockdown. Lets hope it wont come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Thankfully that will never happen.

• Advertisement

This time next month if we do not ease soon with a Risk based approach. I am not being serious but I really worry that the medics will ask the impossible of society based on a mantra. The goal posts keep shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Discodog wrote: »

Might be opened on May 18th. You could argue they fit some of these criteria.

"Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open."

nj27 wrote: »
    Might be opened on May 18th. You could argue they fit some of these criteria.

"Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open."

But depends on whether it is a stand alone Argos or one in a shopping centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

I think it’s possible for a 7 day extension from May 18th to current restrictions if we still have double figures a day in deaths with treble figures a day of new cases.

I would be in favour of it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

That's part of the strategy

slow play it and see what happens elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I think it’s possible for a 7 day extension from May 18th to current restrictions if we still have double figures a day in deaths with treble figures a day of new cases.

I hope you are wrong.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Damn thats the harshest way anyone in this thread put down economic consequences of the lockdown. Lets hope it wont come true.

Not to be alarmist, but it was a response to the extreme scenario I was replying to.

This scenario won't come true with the roadmap. Ireland is a great position to weather this compared to a lot of countries due to the nature of our Fintech and Pharma industries. The wheels of economy are still churning away in the background.

I think you will find, when we come out of this, the recovery will be fairly quick.

They already got two free weeks before stage 1 as testing and tracing wasn't up to scratch

It's going to be an impossible sell for them not to go ahead this time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

Penfailed wrote: »
    I hope you are wrong.

I hope it’s single figures a day in deaths with double figures a day of new cases, would show that we’re taking the right actions in lifting restrictions. I would rather spend another week or fortnight with the current restrictions now than have to restart it all over again in a couple weeks/months time.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly but if there is another extension I think it would be for 2 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement