Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

I am calling for everyone to boycott Ryanair after this campaign by Michael o sneery to try and get flights back up as normal and Fcuk the passengers health

If someone chooses to take a flight knowing the potential risks it is their own choice. No one will be forced to fly against their will. O'Leary would not want flights to restart if there was no one on them as they would all lose money. And if you take precautions, and given the number of cases, the risk is currently quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

I am calling for everyone to boycott Ryanair after this campaign by Michael o sneery to try and get flights back up as normal and Fcuk the passengers health

3000 jobs on the line in Ryanair, 1000 in the DAA, hundreds in Aer Lingus, thousands in ancillary industries. The rest of the world is opening up, lets see how far your boycott gets us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Do you want me to help you make up some of those picket boards with “ Down with that sort of thing” wrote on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

manniot2 wrote: »
    3000 jobs on the line in Ryanair, 1000 in the DAA, hundreds in Aer Lingus, thousands in ancillary industries. The rest of the world is opening up, lets see how far your boycott gets us.

Just to note and i dont want to be the bearer of bad news - but those 3000 Ryanair jobs are dependant on staff & unions taking a paycut. If they refuse paycut more than 3,000 jobs will go. Unfortunately

If on Saturday it turns out that the first lifting of restrictions led to a trebling of new cases and deaths, would that change your opinion? If not, how many deaths would it take for you to be uncomfortable enough that you'd want it to back to full lockdown?

You lost your argument right there. Anyone can see from all over Europe that if lifting restrictions causes a rise it will be a slow rise. Most people still have minimal contact with others, therefore the virus is limited in where it can go. It cannot spread at the same rate now or in phase 2,3 or 4 that it did in early March. What they are looking for is flat or falling trend over the two weeks from first lifting, and all evidence suggests this will be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Here is piece as the main headline in the Irish Independent today of where you might 'catch' the virus, with a picture of a supermarket shopper to boot. Have they forgotten that only 10 out of 4000 thousand Aldi staff tested positive with zero deaths? Our case numbers now are very low.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/as-the-number-of-deaths-and-new-cases-continue-to-fall-where-are-people-now-picking-up-coronavirus-39237078.html

I really hope people start to look at news sources from outside of Ireland

Ok so. USA Today, Washingpost and several others have all ran stories about the number of grocery workers who have died from Coronavirus.

But why aren't we following the US lead? Oh wait, I guess it's selectivity again, not the right 'media', not the right country, and other such bull****.

When the tide is turning he voices his opinion against current restrictions regulations etc just to try and gain some popularity.

LOL, get out of the bubble of this thread, the tide is not turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ok so. USA Today, Washingpost and several others have all ran stories about the number of grocery workers who have died from Coronavirus.

But why aren't we following the US lead? Oh wait, I guess it's selectivity again, not the right 'media', not the right country, and other such bull****.

Ok. So how many died? Give us a ratio of deaths to workers? Or maybe a link to the article. Its bull**** scare mongering like this that has our country ruined

snowcat wrote: »
    Ok. So how many died? Give us a ratio of deaths to workers? Or maybe a link to the article. Its bull**** scare mongering like this that has our country ruined

You must be pretty strong with the amount of goal posts you move.

"This country ruined", eh, I was asked for stories from outside Ireland, which I gave. You must mean "Its[sic] bull**** scare mongering like this that has their country ruined".

I wouldnt listen to any of that rubbish lol. Scientists are struggling to find covid infected patients in UK, the "worst hit country in Europe".... what does that tell us a bout covid

"Leading UK scientists racing to develop a Covid-19 vaccine are concerned that as the virus diminishes in Britain their tests may not be effective.

Researchers at the University of Oxford's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group are warning that their initial hope of an 80 per cent success rate for the vaccine has now dropped to 50 per cent.

It is a race, yes. But it's not a race against the other guys. It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time,” Professor Adrian Hill told the Telegraph newspaper."

https://www.thenational.ae/world/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-trial-running-out-of-uk-virus-exposure-to-complete-tests-1.1024564

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

LOL, get out of the bubble of this thread, the tide is not turning.

Just after listening to Ciara Kelly on Newstalk...all the talk reflected here- speed up the re-opening and reduce social distancing to save the economy. Allow the vulnerable protect themselves. Very similar debate to here and obvious which way Kelly is leaning i.e. opening up.
    So not sure what bubble you're in, it's cetainly not the same as the rest of us. The talk has moved onto re-opening and economy now. You better get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I found one article by USA today from April 18th that said 30 have died. Across all of America. A country of 330 million people.

AdamD wrote: »
    Have they? I suppose we won't really know for a year or two but comparison by any metric to similar sized countries don't exactly show us to have played a blinder at all

And the last bit of your post is nonsense, I'd bet anything it won't happen. Suggesting its even likely is exactly what's annoying people, driving policy through fear that isn't rational

Comparison to/with other countries is pretty pointless. There are too many variables, the most glaring of which is recording criteria.

I'd also bet anything it won't happen, as that's the most likely scenario. But, there's a chance it might happen. I'm asking people to put a figure on what it would take for them to agree with a lockdown? Because that's what it boils down to.....personal liberties versus casualties.

I wouldnt listen to any of that rubbish lol. Scientists are struggling to find covid infected patients in UK, the "worst hit country in Europe".... what does that tell us a bout covid

"Leading UK scientists racing to develop a Covid-19 vaccine are concerned that as the virus diminishes in Britain their tests may not be effective.

Researchers at the University of Oxford's Jenner Institute and the Oxford Vaccine Group are warning that their initial hope of an 80 per cent success rate for the vaccine has now dropped to 50 per cent.

It is a race, yes. But it's not a race against the other guys. It's a race against the virus disappearing, and against time,” Professor Adrian Hill told the Telegraph newspaper."

https://www.thenational.ae/world/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-trial-running-out-of-uk-virus-exposure-to-complete-tests-1.1024564

This thread just continues to be weighed down with the amount of sheer crap people regurgitate, perpetuate and misunderstand.

It really has no right to be in a Current Affairs forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

You must be pretty strong with the amount of goal posts you move.

"This country ruined", eh, you asked for stories from outside Ireland, which I gave. You must been "Its[sic] bull**** scare mongering like this that has their country ruined2.

You are not contributing anything to this debate. At least do some research and use google before you attack people. Please use links if you are quoting articles.
    I guess its this one
    https://www.businessinsider.com/grocery-store-worker-deaths-from-coronavirus-at-least-30-nationwide-2020-4?r=US&IR=T
    If you read the article you will see 30 out of 1300000 workers. Think about that for a minute...I'd hazard a guess more died from falling off ladders in those stores.

Question to you - if on Saturday we have less than 10 deaths and less than 50 new cases will you change yours?

If you want 0 new cases and 0 deaths you can say that. We wont brand you as Gerry Killeen.

No, I won't because my opinion is to do just that........ Wait until the weekend and reassess the situation. I'm not asking for anything like 0 cases before we do anything. I'm asking for people to be patient and see if there are any negative consequences from easing restrictions, which is what the plan is for, no?

This thread just continues to be weighed down with the amount of sheer crap people regurgitate, perpetuate and misunderstand.

It really has no right to be in a Current Affairs forum.

Yeah you put that Oxford professor in his place. Btw your line about grocery workers in the US was absolute guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Benimar

road_high wrote: »
    Just after listening to Ciara Kelly on Newstalk...all the talk reflected here- speed up the re-opening and reduce social distancing to save the economy. Allow the vulnerable protect themselves. Very similar debate to here and obvious which way Kelly is leaning i.e. opening up.
    So not sure what bubble you're in, it's cetainly not the same as the rest of us. The talk has moved onto re-opening and economy now. You better get used to it.

Would that be Ciara ' call off the Leaving Cert in July, but send the kids back to school in June' Kelly?

I wouldn't be using her as a barometer of 'best practice':rolleyes:

You lost your argument right there. Anyone can see from all over Europe that if lifting restrictions causes a rise it will be a slow rise. Most people still have minimal contact with others, therefore the virus is limited in where it can go. It cannot spread at the same rate now or in phase 2,3 or 4 that it did in early March. What they are looking for is flat or falling trend over the two weeks from first lifting, and all evidence suggests this will be the case.

We don't know that. Yes it is likely, but nobody can see the future. A phased, gradual approach is, imo, the right call.

road_high wrote: »

You're deluded, or just chose to be ignorant, to the recent figures published by the ERSI on their recent survey as to people's attitudes to the governments unrolling plan.

I mean there was discussion only yesterday, and posters told you the figures.

Ignoring them doesn't make your bubble any more real, it's fantasist territory.

• Advertisement

We don't know that. Yes it is likely, but nobody can see the future. A phased, gradual approach is, imo, the right call.

Right call to lose hundreds of jobs, thousands of jobs? Any medical justification btw, other than "we dont know that" ?

"Eason to lay off 150 staff as it prepares for June reopening"

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eason-to-lay-off-150-staff-as-it-prepares-for-june-reopening-1.4262251?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fbusiness%2Fretail-and-services%2Feason-to-lay-off-150-staff-as-it-prepares-for-june-reopening-1.4262251

I take it you dont work in Eason, good for you. But remember, our waiting around will cause 10 + of these articles over the coming weeks. our GRADUAL approach. GRADUALLY putting us into I wont even say it lol

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I found one article by USA today from April 18th that said 30 have died. Across all of America. A country of 330 million people.

Well done, you'll get brownie posters from those who want you to read media from outside of Ireland.

Well done, you'll get brownie posters from those who want you to read media from outside of Ireland.

Yeah I have an allergy to guff and your post set me off. You can't criticise other people for posting nonsense and then go off about a supposed glut of deaths amongst American grocery workers that hasn't happened

You are not contributing anything to this debate. At least do some research and use google before you attack people. Please use links if you are quoting articles.
    I guess its this one
    https://www.businessinsider.com/grocery-store-worker-deaths-from-coronavirus-at-least-30-nationwide-2020-4?r=US&IR=T
    If you read the article you will see 30 out of 1300000 workers. Think about that for a minute...I'd hazard a guess more died from falling off ladders in those stores.

No, I never mentioned the Business Insider, you literally read the post in which I mentioned the publications.

It's a trend that people are claiming to feeling attacked when their rubbish is called out, it's almost like they don't want to be disagreed with.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Yeah I have an allergy to guff and your post set me off. You can't criticise other people for posting nonsense and then go off about a supposed glut of deaths amongst American grocery workers that hasn't happened

I never mentioned, or went off on, a glut of deaths at all.

A phased approach is the right call, I have argued for it. And the 3 weeks is there to allow a review and assessment of the impact. But that review can go in two directions, and the Irish and European data are both suggesting and accelerated opening can be implemented with minimal risk and sufficient buffer to react should numbers slip back

Right call to lose hundreds of jobs, thousands of jobs? Any medical justification btw, other than "we dont know that" ?

Hundreds of jobs versus potentially hundreds of lives.

No brainer.

A phased approach is the right call, I have argued for it. And the 3 weeks is there to allow a review and assessment of the impact. But that review can go in two directions, and the Irish and European data are both suggesting and accelerated opening can be implemented with minimal risk and sufficient buffer to react should numbers slip back

A sensible post. The Irish data hasn't suggested anything yet because we have not yet seen the effects of the Irish approach

I never mentioned, or went off on, a glut of deaths at all.

You posted this about an alleged number of grocery workers who died. All articles are a month old. You either lied or were ill informed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I'm calling on everyone to support jobs, employment and travel at affordable prices to and from Ireland, and help O'Leary try and get Ireland out of the dark ages while the rest of Europe reopens to travel and tourism. I haven't heard the full interview, but from what I read on RTE news, I agree with everything he said today.

I’m doing my bit by booking flight to Spain mid July. I’ll be busy sipping cocktails in the guaranteed sun for 2 weeks. Thousands of miles from the lockdown zealots , Harris and Holohan et al.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement