Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Poland allowing for Weddings up to 150 people with no masks and social distancing from 6 of June

Guess what? They had 443 new cases yesterday, idiots ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

road_high wrote: »
    It followed the same pattern of everything else with Covid. Reactionary hysteria rather than calm well thought out actions.
    Said it at the time cancelling it was nuts. I’ll be proved right, the fallout will drag on for years.
    FG are led by social media group think these days. Leo and Harris live their lives around it.

To be fair they were under awful pressure to make a call and I think at the time they felt it was better to err on the side of caution.

I'm not saying i agree with the decision but hindsight is a great thing

With all the movement around my area I actually think it would be better to get more places open and back to work. There is too much rambling and "holiday vibes" about at the minute so it's probably a better option to have more work places open

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

uli84 wrote: »
    Poland allowing for Weddings up to 150 people with no masks and social distancing from 6 of June

Social distancing at a Polish wedding ! Now that should be great craic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Hundreds of jobs versus potentially hundreds of lives.

No brainer.

Yeah you see the problem is, DEFINITELY losing hundreds of jobs versus "potentially" hundreds of lives.

But yeah, if you arent affected it will always be a no brainer to you.

I just find it fascinating its "ok" with you for Ireland to lift restrictions last in entire Europe.

PS to alleviate your fears

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featured-articles/2020/may/24/the-cdc-confirms-remarkably-low-coronavirus-death-rate-where-is-the-media/

The CDC estimates the death rate from COVID-19 for those under 50 is 1 in 5,000 for those with symptoms, which would be 1 in 6,725 overall, but again, almost all those who die have specific comorbidities or underlying conditions. Those without them are more likely to die in a car accident. And schoolchildren, whose lives, mental health, and education we are destroying, are more likely to get struck by lightning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

So a pro rata equivalent of 50 new cases in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Damian F wrote: »
    What's all this bullshít about a "second wave"??? There hasn't been a F**king first wave in this country.

Yes there was. Have we now reached the point on the thread when people just flat out deny what happened just a few weeks ago?

Over a thousand confirmed cases on April 14th and April 16th, with over 900 on the 15th.

We peaked at 77 deaths on the twentieth of April.

That's what our peak was.

And a big long line of thanks under that post? Ah, stop it lads. Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Of the 443 , 274 were identified in the Silesia mining region in southern Poland which, so far, has showed the highest number of coronavirus infections, as coal companies are still receiving the results of large-scale coronavirus tests conducted on mine.

Similar to us and meat plants

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’m doing my bit by booking flight to Spain mid July. I’ll be busy sipping cocktails in the guaranteed sun for 2 weeks. Thousands of miles from the lockdown zealots , Harris and Holohan et al.

Doing same mid August, though who knows by that time some sort of entertainment might be allowed in here too :D maybe i can even go 50 km to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Arghus wrote: »
    Yes there was. Have we now reached the point on the thread when people just flat out deny what happened just a few weeks ago?

Over a thousand confirmed cases on April 14th and April 16th, with over 900 on the 15th.

Okay we get it you're so much smarter and logical than us and you're exasperated by it all. Kindly go somewhere else if you're going to post the same thing over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Doing same mid August, though who knows by that time some stuff might be allowed in here too :D

Are aer Lingus taking bookings from July on ?

• Advertisement

A sensible post. The Irish data hasn't suggested anything yet because we have not yet seen the effects of the Irish approach

The European data suggests opening more does not add any appreciable risk

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Okay we get it you're so much smarter and logical than us and you're exasperated by it all. Kindly go somewhere else if you're going to post the same thing over and over.

So it can fully become an echo chamber, as opposed to a thread on a discussion forum?

But yeah, if you arent affected it will always be a no brainer to you.

I just find it fascinating its "ok" with you for Ireland to lift restrictions last in entire Europe.

PS to alleviate your fears

If you were affected by a death due to the virus, it would change your tune drastically as well, I'd imagine. It is OK for us to be last, as long as we do it correctly. What's the rush in being first out the gate?

Also, for the record, being struck by lightning isn't contagious. How many people have died from being struck by lightning in Ireland in the history of the state? And how many have been killed by this virus in the last 3 months? Your comparison is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Damian F wrote: »
    What's all this bullshít about a "second wave"??? There hasn't been a F**king first wave in this country.

Oooooft. Listen to Mr Angry keyboard warrior here Grrrrrrrrrr:pac:

So it can fully become an echo chamber, as opposed to a thread on a discussion forum?

I don't have a problem with your opinion, I have a problem with the patronising, exasperated attitude you have.

If you were affected by a death due to the virus, it would change your tune drastically as well, I'd imagine. It is OK for us to be last, as long as we do it correctly. What's the rush in being first out the gate?

Also, for the record, being struck by lightning isn't contagious. How many people have died from being struck by lightning in Ireland in the history of the state? And how many have been killed by this virus in the last 3 months? Your comparison is ridiculous.

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...-is-the-media/

The CDC estimates the death rate from COVID-19 for those under 50 is 1 in 5,000 for those with symptoms, which would be 1 in 6,725 overall, but again, almost all those who die have specific comorbidities or underlying conditions. Those without them are more likely to die in a car accident. And schoolchildren, whose lives, mental health, and education we are destroying, are more likely to get struck by lightning.

Emphasis on the schoolchildren.

Words fail me. PS other part in bold, read closely. And I do recommend reading the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Hurrache wrote: »
    LOL, get out of the bubble of this thread, the tide is not turning.

Your right it’s not turning it’s actually been turned.

Shows pretty much over. No more Netflix and post office

Time to move on and get back to business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah they are

I don't have a problem with your opinion, I have a problem with the patronising, exasperated attitude you have.

And complete denial to attempt to realise that lockdowns arent as effective as Mr Tony says.

I think to deny we had a first wave of the disease in the country is pretty silly.

• Advertisement

The panic merchants are reinventing history already on this thread, they're like a bunch of Trump fanboy climate change deniers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I think to deny we had a first wave of the disease in the country is pretty silly.

Expressing an opinion against the group think on here? Ah you're nothing more than a curtain-twitching Covid freak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Yes. With free changes allowed until end September. I think there is a question mark on whether the planes will fly if the restrictions (14 day quarantine) remain. But I see business taking the Government to court at some stage if policies remain.

Groupthink I described it earlier, the Covid denier panic merchants have taken over the show on here. Like Trump's core fans they make a lot of noise for the numbers they actually amount to.

And complete denial to attempt to realise that lockdowns arent as effective as Mr Tony says.

The lockdown curbed the spread of the disease.

I'm prepared to change my mind if you show me absolutely reliable rock solid evidence to the contrary.

Not sure actually, i have ryanair booked for Aug since Feb, praying they don’t cancel...

I think the general point of contention with people is the lack of acknowledgement by the taoiseach, holohan and Harris that we as a country have done fantastically, but it's time to speed things up. Every other country in Europe has gotten the ball rolling while we seem dead set on being late to the party.

The European data suggests opening more does not add and appreciable risk

It does indeed, but we're comparing Apples and oranges. It is more prudent to see if our approach has had the same effect on our population given our specific set of circumstances. It's not rocket science, lads. We started to lift the restrictions, let's wait and see if it has impacted us negatively before we take the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

And did you know this before the lockdown? Why didn't you let Mr Tony into the secret ?

Back in March there was uproar because the lockdown wasnt strict enough and we should close ports/airports etc.

Then we had uproar because the fruit pickers were let in

Do you honestly think if we didnt have some sort of lockdown we would be no worse off than we are now ?

And before I get attacked I do think some business need to be let re open but let's not slate the experts. They are doing what they feel is the right thing and if anyone thinks they are happy that the economy is suffering it's pathetic

Mary lou and Micheal Martin sicken me coming out of the wood work now.
    Waiting to stab in the back, nit picking at things but no where to be seen when the hard decisions were being made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The panic merchants are reinventing history already on this thread, they're like a bunch of Trump fanboy climate change deniers.

This comment makes me so proud to be a pro-economic, strong leadership admiring , pseudoscience denier.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement