Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Not a different strain, but a different set of circumstances. Comparison with any other country is futile. The only real comparison is with our own figures and data from before the lifting early this month versus after the lifting. We're not there yet. Give it until after the weekend and we will be. I'm not sure how many other ways this can be said.

What a load of horse sh1te. Absolutely we should be communicating with other countries and getting their feedback on what has worked and not worked for them. Not winging it on our own.
    Early on it this Germany helped us out when our testing was crap. They led the way. Im sure they would give us some advice and tips if anyone could be bothered to give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Hurrache wrote: »
    What sort of cognitive dissonance must a person have to completely blow up their own argument that someone is lying?

You posted that American news outlets were posting articles about loads of deaths amongst grocers. There was an article about 30 deaths a month ago and nothing since. You made the argument, back it up I'm not here to form your argument for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

snowcat wrote: »
    What a load of horse sh1te. Absolutely we should be communicating with other countries and getting their feedback on what has worked and not worked for them. Not winging it on our own.

But apparently only countries that feed into the narrative of the stance the poster is taking. If a country is doing something the poster doesn't like, they'll find a reason that it should be discounted.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You posted that American news outlets were posting articles about loads of deaths amongst grocers. There was an article about 30 deaths a month ago and nothing since. You made the argument, back it up I'm not here to form your argument for you.

It's all here (or should I say, none of what you said is here), but continue to join the imaginary dots.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113564470&postcount=8379

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The argument you'll be given is that sure we didn't even have a first wave, there was never a need for a lock down.

It's like giving out to someone for packing a rain jacket when it turned out that it didn't rain much.

Edit; Actually it's more like criticising someone for going to the effort of putting measurements and protections in place after they worked.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Covid denier with all the hallmarks of a Trump fanboy. Has Gemma Doherty and John Waters taken over Boards.ie now that their idiotic waste of time court case failed?

The only people mentioning John waters and Gemma odoherty are the likes of you who can't form a coherent argument if their lives depend on it so you throw a tantrum and call everyone else an idiot. It's pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Spoken like a true Covid denier with all the hallmarks of a Trump fanboy. Has Gemma Doherty and John Waters taken over Boards.ie now that their idiotic waste of time court case failed?

I think Trump is great yes. Less war occurred with him in charge then both Bush and Obama. He drives the economy in great fashion and is someone I have done and do admire. As for your second part drivel of a post all I can say is it’s an affirming the consequent and a formal logic fallacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...-is-the-media/

The CDC estimates the death rate from COVID-19 for those under 50 is 1 in 5,000 for those with symptoms, which would be 1 in 6,725 overall, but again, almost all those who die have specific comorbidities or underlying conditions. Those without them are more likely to die in a car accident. And schoolchildren, whose lives, mental health, and education we are destroying, are more likely to get struck by lightning.

Emphasis on the schoolchildren.

Words fail me. PS other part in bold, read closely. And I do recommend reading the article.

Words fail me , indeed !
    You are quoting from Ron Paul Institute, one of the most right wing , antisemite , anti Muslim, anti everything normal , and you expect yo be taken seriously?

But apparently only countries that feed into the narrative of the stance the poster is taking. If a country is doing something the poster doesn't like, they'll find a reason that it should be discounted.

Will you give up trolling. Your posts are tiresome.

It's all here (or should I say, none of what you said is here), but continue to join the imaginary dots.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113564470&postcount=8379

But again what you said happened didnt happen. I dont understand what your point was, I'm not accountable for understanding your actions.

• Advertisement

You will find probably 1 post per page doing exactly what I said.

You can't say I'm trollng when all I'm doing is reposting arguments made here over and over.

If you think that's trolling, maybe it's time to have a rethink of the arguments you support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The constant posts calling people fearful wasters who just want to watch netflix and don't give a feck about the economy are fairly tiresome as well.

Funny people don't seem to complain about those as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What was the outcome of the meeting around the 2m rule?

But again what you said happened didnt happen. I dont understand what your point was, I'm not accountable for understanding your actions.

Take a step back and look at your logic.

Poster asked to look at media outside of Ireland.
    I did, and mentioned stories published by the media outside of Ireland on the topic the poster was talking about.
    You acknowledged the stories exist.
    You then said I'm lying.
    You're now saying it didn't happen.
    So the media outside of Ireland, with the stories that both you and I are now aware of, actually didn't happen.

Is it you or I that are confused?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Arghus wrote: »
    The lockdown curbed the spread of the disease.

I'm prepared to change my mind if you show me absolutely reliable rock solid evidence to the contrary.

Unfortunately all you'll get it is skewed figures from unreliable sources as in the Nazi propaganda machine he quoted a couple of pages back .

The only people mentioning John waters and Gemma odoherty are the likes of you who can't form a coherent argument if their lives depend on it so you throw a tantrum and call everyone else an idiot. It's pathetic really.

Well I don't think their fans on here are going to admit to supporting them, although one of the posters that thanked you there admits to being a Trump fan :pac:, so you never know I guess.

It's like giving out to someone for packing a rain jacket when it turned out that it didn't rain much.

Edit; Actually it's more like criticising someone for going to the effort of putting measurements and protections in place after they worked.

No one is complaining about the rain jacket. What most are complaining about is it is now 30 degrees and Sunny and we are melting in our rain jacket while waiting for the next rain shower.

Gael23 wrote: »
    What was the outcome of the meeting around the 2m rule?

Just going to jump in here before someone completely misrepresents what happened at the meeting and goes on a rant. No recommendation to reduce the 2m, but bere's a bit from an article on the Independent:

Earlier this week, Mr Holohan said the 2m social distancing restriction was not a rule but rather “guidance” offered by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet).

“It is guidance and like any guidance it has to be interpreted by people at an individual level and then by organisations,” he added.

In other words, people should use some cop on and make their own decisions.

If I didn't know any better I'd think you were telling him to commit self harm. Do you think that's called for?

No mate, I was referring to what his hero Trump advised or suggested to him and others to do.

dalyboy wrote: »
    That’s right. Oh yeah your referencing what he said to that crazy snowflake CNN reporter and was then purposely taken out of context by that same “news” organisation. It emboldened my support of him actually

Ah yes. Poor Donald didn't say anything stupid, he's just been misrepresented by the snowflakes at CNN. Again.

Did that excuse not get worn out after the 500th time?

• Advertisement

I did, and mentioned stories published by the media outside of Ireland on the topic the poster was talking about.
    You then said I'm lying.
    So the media outside of Ireland, with the stories that both you and I are now aware of, actually didn't happen.

You Cherry picked a story from one month ago. A lot has changed in a month. Are you going to give us the latest on the death rate amongst cabbage farmers in Cote dI'vore next?

No one is complaining about the rain jacket. What most are complaining about is it is now 30 degrees and Sunny and we are melting in our rain jacket while waiting for the next rain shower.

The rain jacket analogy didn't really work, the second analogy in that post you quoted was more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

You then said I'm lying.

So cut to the chase, what are the figures for grocery worker deaths in the U.S.?

You then said I'm lying.

I think you have confused everyone. Are you drinking?

You Cherry picked a story from one month ago. A lot has changed in a month. Are you going to give us the latest on the death rate amongst cabbage farmers in Cote dI'vore next?

So remind me again, who's lying, what didn't happen? There may be a wall near you so don't back pedal too furiously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just going to jump in here before someone completely misrepresents what happened at the meeting and goes on a rant. No recommendation to reduce the 2m, but bere's a bit from an article on the Independent:

Earlier this week, Mr Holohan said the 2m social distancing restriction was not a rule but rather “guidance” offered by the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet).

“It is guidance and like any guidance it has to be interpreted by people at an individual level and then by organisations,” he added.

In other words, people should use some cop on and make their own decisions.
    The problem with that is a businesses insurance company will look for proof of 2m before paying out on a claim

I think you have confused everyone. Are you drinking?

It's not me that question should be directed at, it's an accurate representation of LiquidZeb.

dalyboy wrote: »
    That’s right. Oh yeah your referencing what he said to that crazy snowflake CNN reporter and was then purposely taken out of context by that same “news” organisation. It emboldened my support of him actually

OMG, you actually believe him don't you:pac:

Not a different strain, but a different set of circumstances. Comparison with any other country is futile. The only real comparison is with our own figures and data from before the lifting early this month versus after the lifting. We're not there yet. Give it until after the weekend and we will be. I'm not sure how many other ways this can be said.

To put it like this, R0 in march was about 3. Each infected person infected 3 people, from, for example, 30 opportunities.
    Lockdown reduced R0 to 0.5. Eg. Opportunities for infection reduced from 30 to 5. The disease did not become less infectious therefore the only way this happens is through reduced opportunities for infection.
    If we then remove some restrictions, such that the opportunities for infection increase up to 15, R0 goes to 1.5. I think it is reasonable to assume that significant easing of restrictions would not do anymore than this, as large gatherings are still restricted, many people are working from home, and significant social distancing is in place, even if a small minority are flouting it.

The difference in an R0 of 1.5 and 3 is the difference between 1 case becoming 60 and 1 case becoming 20,000 over the course of 8 weeks. That's why easing restrictions now is relatively low risk. Even if what has happened in mainland Europe is off by a factor of 50%, we still have time to react, and all the evidence is that it will be 1 or lower in which case we will remain stable. The only data from Ireland that could change that analysis is new clusters, not connected to previous cases, and, well that could happen at any time

• Advertisement

Jackman25 wrote: »
    So cut to the chase, what are the figures for grocery worker deaths in the U.S.?

Why are you trying to change the narrative?

It's apropos of nothing relevant to what the poster asked, and what was to read media from outside of Ireland on the topic, which I did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement