Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Surveys?? I mentioned nothing about surveys.

Your getting confused fighting the pro lockdown battle on your own.

Sigh. You said the tide had turned, you either ignored or didn't see the latest survey contradicting that. That's simply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    The Ron Paul institute quoted the CDC that's what he's saying

Attack the messenger when you don't like the message. And the same poster then gives out about the state of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I am close to giving up.

Nah, not even close, these posters want our phase 5 plan to continue to 10th of August, citing 2nd wave worries. Reminds me of someone

“All of efforts must be to keep the reproduction number below one. The temptation might be to think the battle is won, that would be a dangerous position to adopt,” he said.

Harris said the government is concerned about a second wave."

https://www.thejournal.ie/reproductive-number-5109249-May2020/

Gerry Killeen comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

There isn't another country in the EU planning at this moment to implement restrictions to the level of the UK seeing as you used them as an example. Every country is reducing or completely getting rid of restrictions, whereas we aren't.

But we're reducing restrictions too. It's not quick enough in the eyes of some people, but they are easing.

To say we aren't reducing them isn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Arghus wrote: »
    But we're reducing restrictions too. It's not quick enough in the eyes of some people, but they are easing.

Travel restrictions is what I'm talking about not restrictions in general. It's quite clear restrictions are being relaxed and if during phase 2 there is still no negative implications then they should be reduced quicker, merge phase 3&4 and bring 5 forward three weeks.

Theres no relaxation of travel out of the country at moment nor any guidance as to when that'll be relaxed. That's the point here, therefore adversely affecting jobs in companies such as Aerlingus along with earlier in the week the DAA. Other business at least have the roadmap to work off. The ones I've mentioned dont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Yeah but the problem is oxbow lakes form quicker than we relax restrictions.

Officially in a dictatorship.

"The chief medical officer Tony Holohan has told ministers that there will be no immediate change to the current two-metre rule for physical distancing.

Dr Holohan held a meeting with the Cabinet on Wednesday afternoon where the issue was raised by a number of ministers."

He just told no change. He doesnt want to change it. Thats it.

What is this I dont even...

You don't know what a dictatorship is. His word isn't final.

He gave a recommendation. The decision about whether to act or not on that recommendation is still up to the government. They have the final say, as Vardkar said in the Dail today:
    Mr Varadkar continued: “It has to be seen in its overall context, however, namely, how prevalent the virus is in the community.”

He added that “we need to bear in mind that, while there is no such thing as zero risk from this virus, as the risk reduces, then rules can be relaxed. That is what the plan is all about in many ways.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's actually quite exciting after all this time!

Exciting to see traffic jams back? There's nothing exciting about a traffic jam. When this is over (completely over i mean with a vaccine or effective treatments or the virus burnt out) we've got to find ways of getting rid of traffic jams for good. Instead of cocooning in the house you're cocooning in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-5km-limit-5109093-May2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Even the LOCKDOWN FFS! crowd on the Journal are turning, I'm sure RTE will hit us with a survey
    showing 99% of people are happy the way it is....

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Hurrache wrote: »
    Sigh. You said the tide had turned, you either ignored or didn't see the latest survey contradicting that. That's simply it.

Tide being number of daily cases and deaths which are clear for all to see.

Not that an uprising against these ridiculous restrictions is going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

"The chief medical officer Tony Holohan has told ministers that there will be no immediate change to the current two-metre rule for physical distancing.

Dr Holohan held a meeting with the Cabinet on Wednesday afternoon where the issue was raised by a number of ministers."

It's already been outlined 1 to 2 metres is the advice. So 1 is fine. Why shops etc. are insisting on 2 metres is really their call.

You don't know what a dictatorship is. His word isn't final.

He gave a recommendation. The decision about whether to act or not on that recommendation is still up to the government. They have the final say, as Vardkar said in the Dail today:

I would love for him to be "giving recommendations" but if the past 3 months are anything to go by - where he told vinters to get shafted etc. his recommendations seem to be taken as a command.

But you are right, hopefully M Martin will dispute this nonsense recommendation

SNNUS wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-5km-limit-5109093-May2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Even the LOCKDOWN FFS! crowd on the Journal are turning, I'm sure RTE will hit us with a survey
    showing 99% of people are happy the way it is....

Man could be political genius.

"Micheál Martin says there is 'no serious justification' for the 5km and 20km limit"

The tide is clearly turning

Actually, good comment from the journal article

"Countries that were hit far worse than us are reopening and over the next month allowing foreign travel. What we’re doing is what to slow and will cost jobs and lives.

Keep social distancing, follow the hygiene guidelines, wear masks in crowded areas and open the country up.

The infection rates haven’t rocketed in other countries where you can already get a drink or a hair cut. Something we won’t be able to do for another 2 months. It’s bloody ridiculous."

I am proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Not all homeware shops are the size of Ikea.
    They wrote off the revenue that would be earned by smaller homeware shops as collateral damage in order to keep Ikea closed for another few weeks, which doesn’t even make sense because with these stores now closed over 2 months, the demand will be massive when they reopen.
    Delaying reopening for another 3 weeks will just increase the demand further.

Yes. Any homeware store with a more easily contolled environment and ideally opening to outside should have been allowed open up.
    IKEA was caught up with the whole distance restriction limit as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Breezin

Man could be political genius.

"Micheál Martin says there is 'no serious justification' for the 5km and 20km limit"

The tide is clearly turning

At last, some hope we may see sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,672 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

At this stage I'm sick of Dr. Tony telling us how to live , he did a good job up to a few weeks ago, but just wants to Nanny state the majority of people in this country - I have lost all my work as have many of my close relatives, while Tony is still on good pay, unworried about how to pay his rent.The curve is flattened, the hospitals are not over run , we are still paying 115 million a month for unused private hospitas, and still implementing nanny state orders on the majority that are suffering financially and mentally - the virus could well have died out.

He reads articles from the RonPaul Institute.
    That..is what I am saying !

That posted CDC study.

Do you know CDC?

Lol, of course, but I don't get my info from Neo Nazi publications !

Travel restrictions is what I'm talking about not restrictions in general. It's quite clear restrictions are being relaxed and if during phase 2 there is still no negative implications then they should be reduced quicker, merge phase 3&4 and bring 5 forward three weeks.

Theres no relaxation of travel out of the country at moment nor any guidance as to when that'll be relaxed. That's the point here, therefore adversely affecting jobs in companies such as Aerlingus along with earlier in the week the DAA. Other business at least have the roadmap to work off. The ones I've mentioned dont

You can still travel from Ireland, it hasn't been stopped. But you might have a tough time getting in to where you want to go

Spain still has a two week quarantine - that they put in place on the 15th of May - in place until July 1st.

Greece will only resume international flights from certain countries on June 15th and maybe for other countries from July 1st.

Italy is allowing foreign travel from June 15th.

France has no set date to open it's borders to international travel.

Goldengirl wrote: »

Okay. Get some info from CDC website, you clearly seem to think there is a deadly 2nd wave pending that will wipe out our population if we allow barbers to open on 8th of June. Reading scientific studies will alleviate your fears, or should anyways.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Disgraceful attitude by Dr Tony Holohan this evening. Time for someone to clip his wings for him now.

Notions way above his station at this stage.

Very ignorant delivery of his answers

Disgraceful attitude by Dr Tony Holohan this evening. Time for someone to clip his wings for him now.

Soul draining. The numbers as well, 2nd week in a row double digits? This horrible fear creeps in actually starting to believe these "experts" want to eradicate the damn thing at all costs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Got to love those calling for quicker lockdown easing because the WHO back it. The WHO's performance in this crisis leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

He just outright stated "No" to any movement of restrictions in phases or the duration of the phases.

We've no hope unless the government do a complete 180 on following what he says to the letter.

We keep being told in this thread that it's a given they'll move, I still hope it will but there is nothing to indicate there is any hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

True, but in fairness the quality of the journalists questions were terrible, it was fumbled at best, it's a farce. The same guy who advised against a review of the cervical check is the same guy paraded out on a daily basis stroking his own ego.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Goldengirl wrote: »

Ron Paul isn't a Neo-Nazi. He's a libertarian-conservative who was a Senator for many years.

Its like people saying they think Donald Trump is a white supremacist.

He just outright stated "No" to any movement of restrictions in phases or the duration of the phases.

We've no hope unless the government do a complete 180 on following what he says to the letter.

We keep being told in this thread that it's a given they'll move, I still hope it will but there is nothing to indicate there is any hope.

He also said things are under constant review. It all depends what happens in the future.

17 deaths and 73 new cases today. He couldn't lift restrictions today with those numbers.

If the Government are choosing to subordinate the governance of the country to a medical-advisory committee then that is on them. They can overrule NPHET at any moment or even disband NPHET tomorrow if they wish to.

He also said things are under constant review. It all depends what happens in the future.

17 deaths and 73 new cases today. He couldn't lift restrictions today with those numbers.

Did he say what numbers would allow him to lift restrictions?

• Advertisement

He couldn't lift restrictions today with those numbers.

Yes he can. He can lift restrictions with any numbers, in fact.

Even though, as I've said, it isn't his decision to make anyway.

'The Coronavirus is forcing us to do x, y, z' is the most dishonest formulation of all. Especially with the unstated shift from flattening the curve to seeming eradication, assuming that is the policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement