Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Arghus wrote: »

17 deaths and 73 new cases today. He couldn't lift restrictions today with those numbers.

I think it is time to roll back! All the people on the building sites should be back on the dole immediately! The distance of 5km should be reduced to 2km straight away ! The second wave of virus surge is amongst us now !

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RobitTV wrote: »
    Time to make a stand right now. Holohan is now officially acting like some sort of dictator.

What’s more: Holohan reminds us that non-essential journeys aren’t actually permitted right now, under law, and seems to suggest that might still be the case by July 1 when Ryanair scale back up their Irish routes

This is the final straw. People need to get outside and ignore this idiot.

If we get a spike then they'll have to go back to listening to the "idiot". Seriously, some of posts on this are like the child's "Are we there yet?" or "Why aren't we there yet?"!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

is_that_so wrote: »
    If we get a spike then they'll have to go back to listening to the "idiot". Seriously, some of posts on this are like the child's "Are we there yet?" or "Why aren't we there yet?"!

If we get a spike those people who are infected go to our empty hospitals and maybe utilise our 80% free ICU capacity.

Are you seriously thinking that a "spike" will be 50,000 ?

This is absolute madness.

We have empty bloody hospitals, tons of ICU beds completely empty, and we are mulling over 73 new cases as if we are about go to extinct.

Is this for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Don't tell me! the #SecondWave is here! :eek:

Honestly go outside and enjoy the fresh air.

If we get a spike those people who are infected go to our empty hospitals and maybe utilise our 80% free ICU capacity.

Are you seriously thinking that a "spike" will be 50,000 ?

This is absolute madness.

We have empty bloody hospitals, tons of ICU beds completely empty, and we are mulling over 73 new cases as if we are about go to extinct.

Is this for real?
    Drama queen! Did I mention 50,000?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Anyone fancy a holiday in Cyprus,their government have just announced any visitor diagnosed with Covid 19 they will pay all accommodation, medical,food,for the patient and his family.

Cyprus eh. Can foresee the Joe Duffy special now. They promised me money back Joe .......but then they said I had it before I got there....cowboys Joe....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,281 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cause and effect does not seem to be determined by lockdowns or reversing them

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1265563344053899265

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Time to make a stand right now. Holohan is now officially acting like some sort of dictator.

What’s more: Holohan reminds us that non-essential journeys aren’t actually permitted right now, under law, and seems to suggest that might still be the case by July 1 when Ryanair scale back up their Irish routes

This is the final straw. People need to get outside and ignore this idiot.

Let me guess.
    OK Michael.
    I mean Mr O’Leary
    Or do I mean bord failte ?
    Maybe Mr Vitners

I know now. It’s GemmaJohn isn’t it.

Don't tell me! the #SecondWave is here! :eek:
    Do people even read posts anymore? How on earth did you get that from my post?

Drama queen! Did I mention 50,000?

You mentioned a spike.

A spike of up to 5,000 people getting infected and 5% of these going to ICU is something we can handle.

We currently get 73 people infected per day.

You are welcome.

• Advertisement

Do people even read posts anymore? How on earth did you get that from my post?

You people keep on mentioning "Spike" there is no evidence to back this up.

The virus is on the decline across Europe. Why the misery?

The 350 euro a week is going to run out at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Well I had a fabulous day today :D and I’ll be having a fabulous weekend too. Great to see people out and about soaking up the good weather, relaxed and enjoying themselves. Not a pearl clutcher in sight. For most of the people in my circle we are over all of this shlte now. Just waiting on the rest of the country to wake up so we can actually access the services we need again.

I will be holding an emergency rosary service tonight at 9pm, the public are not listening to Holohan anymore and they are murdering grannies on a daily basis by going up mountains and sitting on the beach.

This calls for direct prayer action tonight.

R1024pf-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Because their deaths are the only ones being treated as a national tragedy.
    Their deaths are being used as justification to continue the insanely drawn out roadmap to easing of restrictions, while the others are never referenced or given any thought, or their families for that matter.

Why are the 73 with coronavirus more important than the 73+ who are suffering one way or another today under current restrictions?

I don't agree with your opinion that it's been treated as a national tragedy and no regard is given to anyone else.

There's coverage everyday in the media about lack of access to cancer screening, surgeries, the toll on mental health. It's clearly an issue, a massive issue.

We had 73 confirmed cases today, 60% of those were attributed to community transmission. So the virus is still not fully contained in the community - a lot has been achieved, but it's still out there.

And considering that hospitals are already known for being hot-spots in transmission and infection and the virus has a much more dangerous impact on those already ill or requiring treatment, then you have to be sure that hospitals are safe places to be for patients. If the virus is spreading in the community, it's going to spread in hospitals. You can't just throw open the gates immediately at let all these potentially immunocompromised people into a situation where they can pick up a potentially lethal infection.

So you have to do all you can to suppress the virus. And that means in practice that procedures don't take place, that wards are closed. If covid is spreading freely these people won't be getting treated in hospital, or they'll be picking up the infection in hospital and being put at greater risk.

And, yes, there will be suffering and there will be people who die on account of procedures and screening etc being mothballed - and that is truly horrible, but there's no good outcomes to our approach here: there's just options that are less worse than the others. You have to think about what approach ultimately saves more lives.

EUROMOMO are a pan-European organisation who look at data relevant to rates of excess mortality across Europe. They use good quality data.

https://euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

I urge you to look at this. It clearly shows the massive increase across Europe in 2020 of excess mortality, compared to other years, that can be directly attributed to Covid. This disease has killed so many people - the graphs speak for themselves - and most of these people are the ones that already sick or requiring treatment. It cuts through these people like butter. People will die as a result of a lack of access to treatment, but so many more will eventually die if you don't suppress the disease as much as you possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure if anyone watched the "Tonight Show" on VM1 yesterday, where they had Dr. Tomas Ryan, who stated that Ireland needs a wider range expert committee with medical professionals who are working at the leading edge of medical science and not made up of HSE staff who aren't leading experts in dealing with this health emergency?

What it clear is that with no government here over 100+ days after the election, a sunbathing GP "in charge" that there's a real vacuum of strong leadership in this country with expert groups from employers and workers from all industries in this country missing from the decision making group made up of civil servants....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

silverharp wrote: »
    cause and effect does not seem to be determined by lockdowns or reversing them

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1265563344053899265

And to give more weight to the contents of that twee, Switzerland today announced further lifting of restrictions next week. They didn't even have as severe restrictions as Ireland, no limit on travel distances, etc. The second wave seems to be a mainly Irish concern, most other countries are ploughing on ahead and they will be far better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I've been outside all day today enjoying the amazing weather. People are out again and the roads are busy and people are enjoying themselves.

It's really positive to see people out.

Absolutely. Myself and the missus cycled to the beach and it was lovely. Anyone who sits in during this kind of weather is off their heads.

You people keep on mentioning "Spike" there is no evidence to back this up.

The virus is on the decline across Europe. Why the misery?

The 350 euro a week is going to run out at some point.
    So if we propose something outside your mindset it's something something. I've been relentlessly positive throughout this, and infinitely more patient than some. Your own whingeing about the lockdown would try the best of parents.

Well I had a fabulous day today :D and I’ll be having a fabulous weekend too. Great to see people out and about soaking up the good weather, relaxed and enjoying themselves. Not a pearl clutcher in sight. For most of the people in my circle we are over all of this shlte now. Just waiting on the rest of the country to wake up so we can actually access the services we need again.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic when I ask you this, but when you say "we are all over all of this sh1te now" what do you mean exactly?

You're tired of hearing about the whole situation? You aren't too concerned about the virus anymore? A mixture of both?

You mentioned a spike.

A spike of up to 5,000 people getting infected and 5% of these going to ICU is something we can handle.

We currently get 73 people infected per day.

You are welcome.
    Again with wildly random made-up numbers.

• Advertisement

So if we propose something outside your mindset it's something something. I've been relentlessly positive throughout this, and infinitely more patient than some. Your own whingeing about the lockdown would try the best of parents.

Whingeing? :pac: tell that to everyone else on here too.

Maybe some of us want to get back to work and live a life again? the utter horror of that.

Instead of sitting here twiddling our fingers until August.

But you are entitled to a opinion. So i respect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

We had 73 confirmed cases today, 60% of those were attributed to community transmission. So the virus is still not fully contained in the community - a lot has been achieved, but it's still out there.

How do you contain a virus, with a net? The virus is still out everywhere but most countries know and accept that. There are many countries ahead of us in easing restrictions but are not experiencing growth in cases. Containing the virus doesn't actually mean anything, it's just an unachievable, undefined goal used to push out the point where someone actually makes a decision nobody is willing to make.

Doombreak: Watch the Ibiza sunset later on tonight it was incredible last night.

People in Spain back on the beaches without fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭growleaves

Prof Francois Balloux says life in Switzerland is back to the old normal :eek:

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY NEW NORMAL?!!!?*£%"£

Again with wildly random made-up numbers.

It’s the modern way, if you can’t argue the point someone is making, make up an exaggerated version or even completely different argument, refute that and claim victory

the kelt wrote: »
    The cmo said this eve that 90% of infected people have recovered but we should wait until we have daily cases below 10!

Ok then!

The proportion of infected people who have recovered people isn't a relevant figure, if you are looking at your future plans for easing of restrictions. It just tells you that x percentage of people who have had it have recovered - it doesn't tell you anything about how many people it could infect in the future, which is really your main concern.

The proportion of infected people who have recovered people isn't a relevant figure, if you are looking at your future plans for easing of restrictions. It just tells you that x percentage of people who have had it have recovered - it doesn't tell you anything about how many people it could infect in the future, which is really your main concern.

You mean our healthcare system is our main concern along with ICU beds, thats why we flattened the curve in the first place, as to not overwhelm it?

But now you are saying our main concern is how many infections there could be in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Okay. Get some info from CDC website, you clearly seem to think there is a deadly 2nd wave pending that will wipe out our population if we allow barbers to open on 8th of June. Reading scientific studies will alleviate your fears, or should anyways.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

No I don't need any of your links or information, I am quite capable of getting my own from reputable sources! Not sites like Ron Paul institute.
    As you well know I have never said anything about 2nd deadly waves or barbers or any of that in my post.
    I questioned that you were giving information from a NEO NAZI WEBSITE in case anyone missed that .
    Stop trying to deflect from that .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone watched the "Tonight Show" on VM1 yesterday, where they had Dr. Tomas Ryan, who stated that Ireland needs a wider range expert committee with medical professionals who are working at the leading edge of medical science and not made up of HSE staff who aren't leading experts in dealing with this health emergency?

What it clear is that with no government here over 100+ days after the election, a sunbathing GP "in charge" that there's a real vacuum of strong leadership in this country with expert groups from employers and workers from all industries in this country missing from the decision making group made up of civil servants....

Saw it.

The government wheeled out Richmond who really crashed and burned trying to answer the questions Cooper was firing at him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement