Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I think it’s possible for a 7 day extension from May 18th to current restrictions if we still have double figures a day in deaths with treble figures a day of new cases.

I would be in favour of it too.

Make it 21 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Sure why not 100?

Just to be safe like lol

More and more people will switch off if there's another extension

We need to get ours down to 0, so everything should be locked down until then - bring in the army if needed. And this exercise lark needs to stop.

Why do you think it needs to get to 0?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Not to be alarmist, but it was a response to the extreme scenario I was replying to.

This scenario won't come true with the roadmap. Ireland is a great position to weather this compared to a lot of countries due to the nature of our Fintech and Pharma industries. The wheels of economy are still churning away in the background.

I think you will find, when we come out of this, the recovery will be fairly quick.

I really hope you are right. We have been building some seriously good economy over the last 5 years, I think 2 or 3 of those 5 had 8% GDP growth highest in Europe.

Asian countries re opening see some of their sector activity go to 70% of pre Covid levels. Hence why i advocate to open up sooner, currently we are just encouraging young people to have house parties. (which could be causing triple digits in new cases probably)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I hope it’s single figures a day in deaths with double figures a day of new cases, would show that we’re taking the right actions in lifting restrictions. I would rather spend another week or fortnight with the current restrictions now than have to restart it all over again in a couple weeks/months time.

I am unsure our government will have money to restart lockdown. Leo & Paschal already admitted that covid payments arent sustainable. (they announce this 6-7 weeks before original covid payments were due to run until end of June)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Quite possibly but if there is another extension I think it would be for 2 weeks.

Yep coz that will stop the gangs of young people meeting up drinking/having parties. Extend it until there's no cases worldwide sure.
    We aren't using the private hospitals that were taken over at all at the moment and that won't have them forever. Surely it's time to start trying to get back to existing while there's capacity to treat people and at a time when people are most aware of how the thing spreads so might do their best to help stop the spread

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think it’s possible for a 7 day extension from May 18th to current restrictions if we still have double figures a day in deaths with treble figures a day of new cases.

I would be in favour of it too.
    I think they'll open on May 18, but may add flexibility to later dates. Deaths, unfortunately, will happen and it's hospital admissions and ICU to keep an eye on. ICU is now down to 72 and I think Harris said there were two admissions one of the recent days. On new cases it's hard to say, most of what we've been seeing recently is the widescale testing of nursing homes, which has now finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The other big part of figures is clusters in meat factories

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

I am unsure our government will have money to restart lockdown. Leo & Paschal already admitted that covid payments arent sustainable. (they announce this 6-7 weeks before original covid payments were due to run until end of June)

Oh I think it’s a given if we get a second wave or if they tighten restrictions once again after June the covid payment will be scrapped. It was a welcome gesture but with hindsight maybe they should of left it run a bit before introducing it.

I don’t feel like many would of been up in arms on the basic social welfare at the very start when thinking it was for 2-4weeks initially when every where first closed.

Make it 21 days.
    Let's pick a random data in 2021 just to be sure! We are getting to the point where that cure becomes worse than the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

batman_oh wrote: »
    Yep coz that will stop the gangs of young people meeting up drinking/having parties. Extend it until there's no cases worldwide sure.
    We aren't using the private hospitals that were taken over at all at the moment and that won't have them forever. Surely it's time to start trying to get back to existing while there's capacity to treat people and at a time when people are most aware of how the thing spreads so might do their best to help stop the spread

The Gardai have the power to break up such parties if they are reported to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

is_that_so wrote: »
    Let's pick a random data in 2021 just to be sure! We are getting to the point where that cure becomes worse than the disease.

Better yet, let's kill everyone in the country and we can stop the spread of Coronavirus dead in it's tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Novelty wearing off now Tony. Open the gates Leo. We are fckued beyond our reach otherwise with the economy.

The nursing homes crisis is a completely separate issue. We can lockdown until Christmas and it won’t have much impact at all on the care homes.

It’s criminal that people with Covid were sent in but now they have lots of clusters and that needs to play out. It’s hard to keep the death rate low when dealing with the care homes. Most of the residents are already fairly close to death.

Covid 19 in Ireland is basically a nursing home crisis now. And Tony didn’t want visiting restricted.

The nursing homes crisis is a completely separate issue. We can lockdown until Christmas and it won’t have much impact at all on the care homes.

It’s criminal that people with Covid were sent in but now they have lots of clusters and that needs to play out. It’s hard to keep the death rate low when dealing with the care homes. Most of the residents are already fairly close to death.

Covid 19 in Ireland is basically a nursing home crisis now. And Tony didn’t want visiting restricted.
    Just for chronological reference.
    On March 10th, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan said the blanket restrictions should be lifted because they were premature and impacted on residents’ social interactions.

The ban was imposed/re-imposed on 13 March.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The other big part of figures is clusters in meat factories

And direct provision centres

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

nj27 wrote: »
    Might be opened on May 18th. You could argue they fit some of these criteria.

"Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open."

Of all shops it should be easy for Argos to comply with social distancing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Novelty wearing off now Tony. Open the gates Leo. We are fckued beyond our reach otherwise with the economy.

Won`t be happening. Simple as that.

The thing is, we’ve had situations like this before were a really bad flu season wipes out a lot of elderly people.

We just didn’t go into lockdown. And there wasn’t all the constant scaremongering in the media/social media.

There was probably even a strain of Covid here since last year. We just carried on through it.

This whole thing is just people getting hysterical over a mild illness.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1259406660109549568?s=21

Don’t know if already posted. Interesting to see the development from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Won`t be happening. Simple as that.

Meanwhile a neighbour was in tears. He is stressing as he has to sack a lot of staff from his company & doesn't think the business can last much longer.

The thing is, we’ve had situations like this before were a really bad flu season wipes out a lot of elderly people.

We just didn’t go into lockdown. And there wasn’t all the constant scaremongering in the media/social media.

There was probably even a strain of Covid here since last year. We just carried on through it.

We didn’t have nurses and doctors dying from a mild illness before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Discodog wrote: »
    Meanwhile a neighbour was in tears. He is stressing as he has to sack a lot of staff from his company & doesn't think the business can last much longer.

Terrible but they'll find it hard to find a job if they are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Every life didn’t matter back then apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,632 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Oh dear lord. Catch yourself on shoehorning the images from Italy into something because I dared state something else sounds grim. I should have given an asterisk to clarify *not as grim as the images from Italy, for people like yourself who struggle to separate one context from another.

Maybe you dont know what the phrase 'the epitome' actually means.

And stop trying to say it is 'people like myself' when you are such an active participant in a conversation about the severity of the pandemic and what is important right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

It is not a mild illness. The lockdown was needed - the question now is the timing of the easing of this martial
    Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

It seems like some here have lost sight of the reason for the lockdown and the ongoing restrictions. It was never with the goal of getting us to 0 cases. Because of the CMO and the government's reticence to provide meaningful figures (e.g. the numbers need to be "as low as possible" instead of something concrete) its impossible for the public to know exactly what figures we're working toward. But 0 is not possible for Ireland in a practical sense due to open borders with the North and our reliance on international trade and travel.

The goal for us, and every other country referenced in all of the arguments in this thread, is to keep the ICUs from being overrun and the health system from failing. Even the death rate is totally irrelevant unless the death rate is rising because of an insufficient supply of medical care! Whether we are talking about Ireland, New Zealand, or Sweden they have all been successful by this metric. Frankly, in the absence of a cure the metric we should be judging success by is how much of society can be open as normal while not overwhelming the health system. By this metric Ireland is not doing as well as some other countries and some of this is practical (a less robust health system) and some of it is ideological (the government appears to be heavily erring on the side of caution).

There is no reason for a further delay in lifting restrictions here unless there is a solid argument that our hospitals will not be able to handle new cases. All of the people out and about in the sun, all of the anecdotal parties, all of the people drinking in groups, all of the flaunting of the restrictions are totally irrelevant to whether the process proceeds *unless* we see such a spike in numbers that there is a legitimate concern the hospitals can't handle it.

Thankfully that does not look to be the case. I personally don't believe they should have extended they lockdown to the 18th because there was no indication or attempted justification that our health system couldn't handle the current level of cases. If testing is the issue it would be nice if the government would just admit that is the reason and not try to create a false narrative of "the numbers not looking good enough", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It is not a mild illness. The lockdown was needed - the question now is the timing of the easing of this martial
    Law.

Not sure if you are just trolling now...martial law lol

We didn’t have nurses and doctors dying from a mild illness before.

How many nurses and doctors do you think died? It’s only a tiny number. You think no nurse or doctor ever died of flu?

Covid has been ridiculously hyped.

Most have already massively backtracked on their early predictions. We had a HSE consultant on boards who thought 250000 Irish could die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Terrible but they'll find it hard to find a job if they are dead.

What sort of business employs primarily people over 80 years of age with underlying health conditions?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement