Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Good stuff, few of us planning a BBQ for next weekend when everyone is off work. Probably be 6 of us in one of the lads back gardens all going well

Lovely! Hope the weather keeps up. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Varadkar has reverted to type I think after some initial solid leadership. Aloof and seems to have semi disappeared again. Hiding behind Nphet and deeply flawed roadmaps is poor leadership. Struggle to see what exactly he has done or contributed in the past month when the real dilemmas and hard decisions have appeared? Apart from poetic words on Twitter that I’m not interested in

road_high wrote: »
    Yes he gets extremely dismissive and combative at the hint of anyone with the audacity to question his tack and advice.
    Varadkar and Harris are still relatively young and reckon they’re just not able for this lad. It may take a Michael Oleary or other seasoned business men and politicians to get him brushed aside, they’ve no fear of anyone.
    Major national mistake appointing someone like this to this role- it’s not as if the efforts to control virus he’s overseen are anything to crow about.
    Now is the time for some pragmatic flexibility. Holohan is just stuck in school principal mode, a role no one ever appointed him to be

The fact that Leo Varadkar is also a doctor (and his partner) makes this worse as the ONLY lens this has been viewed through is Health . That was fine at the beginning , it’s not fine now. Strong debate is needed fast, the more industry leaders like Michael O Leary who challenge these slow release restrictions the better ! Also Alan Kelly is getting more vocal and Michael Martin , this is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,626 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Michael O'Leary for President, Taoiseach and CMO!

We shouldn't have medical experts deciding health policies.

pjohnson wrote: »

And we shouldn’t have non democratically people deciding national policy on issues of grave national importance...but here we are

• Advertisement

And we shouldn’t have non democratically people deciding national policy on issues of grave national importance...but here we are

Exactly. We should be electing the CMO and Doctors. Education be damned, it should be election based.

Common issue through all three threads, that there was no election for the job of CMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Nermal

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Look you really don't seem to understand that it is impossble for their view to be correct in this instance. That is what I take issue with, not who they are, but rather that you won't accept that this intelligent person had an incorrect opinion that has literally been discredited by real world proof.

Do you think that qualified people are never wrong on any issue, ever?

Dying with vs. dying of. Mortality displacement.

https://twitter.com/BitcoinNegan/status/1254614264167440385

The fact that Leo Varadkar is also a doctor (and his partner) makes this worse as the ONLY lens this has been viewed through is Health . That was fine at the beginning , it’s not fine now. Strong debate is needed fast, the more industry leaders like Michael O Leary who challenge these slow release restrictions the better ! Also Alan Kelly is getting more vocal and Michael Martin , this is good.

Indeed. Harris also with no formal third level education likes to think he’s one of the lads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

TH is only doing what he is paid to do. What's lacking is any visibility of the government or sense that they are taking other factors into account, as Jim O'Callaghan just pointed out on RTE.

Like when Holohan announced yesterday that he wasn't recommending a change from 2 metres to 1, the media just took that as the decision made because there doesn't appear to be anyone in government making decisions, rather than just rubberstamping what the CMO is saying. We need a new government asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

A journalist from Denmark was on Newstalk this morning .
    Their schools / bars / restaurants are open .
    Some for over 6 weeks .
    No spike in their numbers .
    They haven't allowed large gatherings as in stadiums etc .
    We need to get Ireland open .
    If we aren't open as the Danes are by the 29th June .... The month of July is so important for so many businesses .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Why are we still persisting with giving daily deaths when the data is actually incorrect?

Take yesterday for instance 17 additional deaths reported at the briefing. This is the number people see flashed across the screen along with the total number of cases.

The reality is 7 of those deaths are from March and only being reported now for some strange reason and 3 from Monday and 4 from Tuesday. The 24 thousand odd cases are a total since the beginning with most fully recovered.

If we could report the proper way it might alleviate some of the unnecessary fear factor that’s been created around this thing.

If it read as

3 deaths yesterday and additional 73 cases with x amount of cases currently active whatever that is roughly 4 thousand.

Why do these people and the media insist on sensationalist reporting.

With regards Dr Tony someone definitely questioned his opinion and he came across badly yesterday evening with his ignorant bully boy tactics

“How dare you plebs question me “

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Yes he gets extremely dismissive and combative at the hint of anyone with the audacity to question his tack and advice.
    Varadkar and Harris are still relatively young and reckon they’re just not able for this lad. It may take a Michael Oleary or other seasoned business men and politicians to get him brushed aside, they’ve no fear of anyone.
    Major national mistake appointing someone like this to this role- it’s not as if the efforts to control virus he’s overseen are anything to crow about.
    Now is the time for some pragmatic flexibility. Holohan is just stuck in school principal mode, a role no one ever appointed him to be

I mentioned this in a rant I had (prob a 100 page back at this stage) I get it Harris and Leo are inexperienced and lack the life experience to handle this but is there no wise elder in FG that can take them aside and say "hold up , this Dr Tony is Fc8k1n Dr. Evil. FG need to come out of this looking good"

somebody like Enda or Noonan or even some behind the scenes fella we don't know exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tony Holohan is Doctor Evil. I love the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A journalist from Denmark was on Newstalk this morning .
    Their schools / bars / restaurants are open .
    Some for over 6 weeks .
    No spike in their numbers .
    They haven't allowed large gatherings as in stadiums etc .
    We need to get Ireland open .
    If we aren't open as the Danes are by the 29th June .... The month of July is so important for so many businesses .
    While it is a good public interest story in "How are countries doing it?" it fast becomes "Why aren't we doing that?". I think this very antsy phase was also anticipated but it's likely to be at least next week or some time into phase 2 before we see any real shifting in position. Our incoming government may give things a new focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Indeed. Disgraceful answering at this stage in the game, ranks of dismissive arrogance. “I know best so I don’t need to justify myself”. I’d love to see him taken down now

thats pretty much holohans public career in a nutshell isnt it ? i have no idea what he has done apart from being assistant CMO and CMO as his CV seems very sparse.

we shouldnt forget his part in the cervical smear scandal.

Oh god.....Luke O’Neill coming up on pat kenny again. More fearmongering coming up....

It's the equivalent of a six-year-old blaming you for their unfair life because you won't buy them an ice cream!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's the equivalent of a six-year-old blaming you for their unfair life because you won't buy them an ice cream!

you've hurt my feelings :pac:

Oh god.....Luke O’Neill coming up on pat kenny again. More fearmongering coming up....
    He's a mix of the grim and the cheerful. Tries to be positive and tends to give opinions that the CMO wouldn't be seen near!

These threads just keep giving :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Ryanair cheap Dublin-North Italy routes in early 2020 are why it spread so quickly in Dublin. I live in NW Dublin and the few I know who had it in early days had all been skiing in N Italy . We locked down at same time as Denmark for example but it got much deeper hold here. I am really hope life gets back to normal soon, all shops, businesses open, schools start with full classes in September..... But cheap travel witb no kind of quarentine is what ll jeopordise this. If we get hit by Covid as hard as London or new York, that ll wreck economy just as much as lockdown.

Also much as I loved weekends to Barcelona n Lisbon I don't think that kind of travel is sustainable long term given how bad airplanes are for climate change .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

While it is a good public interest story in "How are countries doing it?" fast becomes "Why aren't we doing that?". I think this very antsy phase was also anticipated but it's likely to be at least next week or some time into phase 2 before we see any real shifting in position. Our incoming government may give things a new focus.

Honestly, it's difficult to believe that anything has been 'anticipated'. It seems much more of a case of make it up as you go along, plus react and deflect.

Sadly, we're a nation without a government at a critical time in our history.

He's a mix of the grim and the cheerful. Tries to be positive and tends to give opinions that the CMO wouldn't be seen near!

Maybe I’m getting confused with that UCD professor who wants to lock down forever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Idbatterim wrote: »
    The initial lockdown was to be expected in a hyper cautious conservative country. That good and fortunate initial circumstance, is now our Achilles heel

Hyper cautious conservative country? You don't get marriage equality and abortion in one of those countries.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Maybe I’m getting confused with that UCD professor who wants to lock down forever
    You mean Gerry Killeen from UCC? Think O'Neill is TCD.

polesheep wrote: »
    Honestly, it's difficult to believe that anything has been 'anticipated'. It seems much more of a case of make it up as you go along, plus react and deflect.

Sadly, we're a nation without a government at a critical time in our history.
    I think some of the behavioural stuff like this was easier to forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Michael O'Leary was slow to come out and criticise the government but I'm glad he did, I wish others would take a stand against them and NPHET also. He has highlighted that our 'leaders' are completely at odds with international recommendations on a number of fronts, the ECDC and others.

Michael O'Leary is a fine businessman who is out to maximise the profits of RyanAir for its shareholders. He has no training in epidemiology or medicine (to the best of my knowledge). In his radio interview he was stating things, about facemasks, that have no evidence to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

pjohnson wrote: »

Well we have a Minister for Health who a few weeks ago spoke about not finding a vaccine for the 18 other corona virus that came before Covid 19 so in that respect anything goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Headline in the Irish times "2m, summer camps and golf discussed by ministers" - the country facing collapse and these lads are worried about ****ing golf!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The numbers are under a 100 a day now, they need to move into phase 2 this weekend.

Need to relax two meters to 1 meter.

I was all for lockdown and did what it meant to do, but now time to move on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement