Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭alentejo

Good God! I think the post lock down is looking grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

easypazz wrote: »
    Bewleys rent is €28500 per week.

It is. But then I dont think that place next door on Grafton street has a rent of 5 quid per week.

Businesses operate with tight margins and rent does tend to be biggest expense. But its unwise to say that "they closed because of rent". They closed because government has cut off their entire business for 5 months. 5 months. and solution offered was "take some of our interest free loans, payback 2 years from now though".

If restrictions arent lifted ahead of schedule we will go back to city centre and it will genuinely be half empty as so many businesses will close. You can already see pictures of grafton street, looks like your typical street in Arklow after financial crisis. (monsoon shop has cardboard instead of windows etc)

Well this didnt take long

"
    Pub bosses seek urgent meeting with Government after Dr Tony Holohan dashes hopes of bars reopening early"

Chief Executive of the Licensed Vintners Association, Donal O’Keeffe, told the Irish Mirror: “We were disappointed to hear the Chief Medical Officer’s comments this morning

“This further emphasises the need for an urgent meeting with the Government to discuss the future of pubs in Ireland and the 50,000 people employed in the sector.”

https://www.corkbeo.ie/culture/food-drink/pub-bosses-seek-urgent-meeting-18221416

Our friend Tony told pubs "no chance" of opening in June. They arent exactly the sort of crowd you can push over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

It is. But then I dont think that place next door on Grafton street has a rent of 5 quid per week.

Businesses operate with tight margins and rent does tend to be biggest expense. But its unwise to say that "they closed because of rent". They closed because government has cut off their entire business for 5 months. 5 months. and solution offered was "take some of our interest free loans, payback 2 years from now though".

If restrictions arent lifted ahead of schedule we will go back to city centre and it will genuinely be half empty as so many businesses will close. You can already see pictures of grafton street, looks like your typical street in Arklow after financial crisis. (monsoon shop has cardboard instead of windows etc)

Unlikely that restrictions will be lifted ahead of schedule...Your posts remind me of PSG who were winning against Barcelona, I remember 5-3 on aggregate until the 88th minute, and ended up loosing 6-5 on aggregate with goals conceded on the 88th, 90+1 and 90+5...we are ahead now but we shouldn't think that we won...you lack a lot of common sense.

alwald wrote: »
    Unlikely that restrictions will be lifted ahead of schedule...Your posts remind me of PSG who were winning against Barcelona, I remember 5-3 on aggregate until the 88th minute, and ended up loosing 6-5 on aggregate with goals conceded on the 88th, 90+1 and 90+5...we are ahead now but we shouldn't think that we won...you lack a lot of common sense.

You may be spot on. Your friend Tony isnt actually happy to even START phase 1, we couldnt possibly get ahead of something that we dont start.

"Holohan said the number of people in intensive care units is continuing to drop so they are “seeing trends moving in the right direction”. However he said he could not say today that we will be in a position on 18 May to begin Phase 1 of the roadmap.

“If the conditions were today, I think we still aren’t at that point. But I’m hopeful.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/younger-people-covid19-5093093-May2020/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

You may be spot on. Your friend Tony isnt actually happy to even START phase 1, we couldnt possibly get ahead of something that we dont start.

"Holohan said the number of people in intensive care units is continuing to drop so they are “seeing trends moving in the right direction”. However he said he could not say today that we will be in a position on 18 May to begin Phase 1 of the roadmap.

“If the conditions were today, I think we still aren’t at that point. But I’m hopeful.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/younger-people-covid19-5093093-May2020/

At this stage we defo need to move to phase 1 on the 18th, but we shouldn't skip a phase just to be on the safe side.

Edit: He isn't my friend :D I can guarantee you this as I do enjoy my pints and would love to see the pubs open again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I understand not skipping phases, and I can understand not implementing phases earlier. I don't know if I totally agree with that, but I can understand.

But if Holohan is giving off the same vibe he did a week before May 5th, with the 'right now we're not in that position to start phase one' stuff, is it possible they'll try to extend our current restrictions yet again?

If they do, so be it, but if they do, I'd expect a lot more people to stop abiding by the restrictions. All of my friends and family abided by it initially, to the letter, but almost all of them have decided to start meeting friends outdoors already, or visit relatives. I can't see how it's sustainable for much longer if more and more people are refusing to adhere to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

“We are seeing a persistent number of infections coming from the community, if I’m honest about it, particularly from younger people in the community, it’s a number that isn’t falling as much as we would like and we’re keeping an eye on that.”

So sort out the teenagers that aren't adhering to distancing and let everyone else get back to work. Extending the lockdown again isn't going to stop young people from acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

We really are a whinging generation.

Can you imagine say when London was getting bombed during the Blitz that people would complain about having to go to shelters, children getting evacuated and men having to go off to war to fight the evils of nazism. Nah, they had a fecking backbone and did what was needed.

Here some of our population are whining and moaning endlessly about having to sit home and watch TV. Which is all we have to do to stop the biggest crisis facing our generation.

Really sad!

I'm calling bullsh!t on this one. Recently read Pale Rider, a book about the Spanish flu and there was plenty of dissent about social distancing back in 1918 too.

If there were bombs dropping from the sky there would be a clear and obvious danger and people today would react accordingly.

Also, Irish people invoking the blitz spirit... ewwwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.twitter.com/saifedean/status/1258407909383381000

How many studies do you need to counter the fear-mongering? Will the fiftieth make the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There'll be plenty of grown men whinging when they get laid off and the letters from the bank start coming? Will they invoke the blitz spirit? Go off to the daily mail comments section to flog that ****e.

Nope. Incorrect. My comment was simply a reply to an existing comment on that topic ie replying to "that ****e" as you most eloquently put it. But hey dont let facts stop you ...

Evidently some whingers who clearly have not got laid off etc in this thread whinging all the same.

At least the dead dont whinge eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

gozunda wrote: »
    Nope. Incorrect. My comment was simply a reply to an existing comment on that topic ie replying to "that ****e" as you most eloquently put it. But hey dont let facts stop you ...

Evidently some whingers who clearly have not got laid off etc in this thread whinging all the same.

At least the dead dont whinge eh?

So what about the people who will lose their jobs? Are they whingers? Go away with your internet tough lad routine.

growleaves wrote: »
    Yeah but gozunda if people had hid in shelters throughout the 39-45 war they would have saved more lives without a doubt. Yet they chose not to do that. That generation of brave and stoic people did not think that "saving lives" was paramount. They thought it was more important to keep going. Life went on, just as it went on during serious pandemics like the 1968-69 pandemic (2 million dead).

Would they? How? Surely a huge number would have been dispatched to death camps once the country was overrun by the Germans

Anyway none of your points are even relevant and certainly dont make sense. But no matter. My comment was simply countering the ****e that there were no restrictions during ww2. There were plenty.
    growleaves wrote:
    Biological life span and extending it was not the bottom line.

That's your personal take is it?

Strange though we have a society predicated on looking after citizens health and welfare.

And importantly Government are charged with looking after everyone not just the ones who whinge the most.

Well if we consider that covid knows no borders and that it has been out there for 4 months (potentially 5 months), given that under 4 million have been infected and under 300k died, numbers show that as a planet rate of infections is 0.05% , mortality rate is 0.0038%.

4 months. Not 4 days or 4 weeks... 4 months.

You know what they say - 98% of all stats are made up by people who dont know what they are talking about. I'd agree with that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Our friend Tony told pubs "no chance" of opening in June. They arent exactly the sort of crowd you can push over.

I don't know if you can remember as far back as March, but the pubs closed then with barely a whimper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

I got notified of being laid off today! I finish for good in 2 weeks, so I would like for some semblance of an economy to exist by then so I can 'bounce back'.
    That's your personal take is it?

No it isn't my personal take. Attitudes to death were different before the invention of penicillin and the decline of Christianity. If you're bringing historical perspectives into it then you have to keep in mind how people of the past thought (i.e. differently from you). An Englishman born in 1860 (i.e. 80 years old in 1940) would not be talking about extending his life-span and calling people selfish.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    So what about the people who will lose their jobs? Are they whingers? Go away with your internet tough lad routine.

Well that was you who just brought it up. It certainly wasnt included in the comment to which I replied.

But are you are implying they are whingers? Why would you ask such a stupid question or is it like the posters using people with cancer to score internet points?

Seriously go away with that ****e and and name calling craic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

We really are a whinging generation.

Can you imagine say when London was getting bombed during the Blitz that people would complain about having to go to shelters, children getting evacuated and men having to go off to war to fight the evils of nazism. Nah, they had a fecking backbone and did what was needed.

Here some of our population are whining and moaning endlessly about having to sit home and watch TV. Which is all we have to do to stop the biggest crisis facing our generation.

Really sad!

Are you being Sarcastic or do you Live in a parallel world
    Where a nations war time spirit given that nation ruled our nation with brutality is to envied
    Where the brave stay home and watch TV
    Is Nero a hero to you?

I hope you are being sarcastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Where I am is starting phase 1 of the reopening tomorrow, earlier than the original date of May 15. Shops, restaurants, salons etc can operate at 50% capacity. Even bars can open if they also serve food but the actual bar can't be used for seating.. I wonder if they'll be busy?

I noticed yesterday way more people out and about and the supermarket and hardware shop was pretty busy. Massive queue of cars for Starbucks drive thru. People are sick of the lockdown the world over it seems.

And also people realise from the data that the crisis is over, as a result of their own efforts at staying put for the lockdown. It's great to see businesses taking their own intelligent approach to start opening and not wait for the painfully inefficient guidance to come from an unelected and unaccountable body. Also, not having a government means people are to a certain extent permitted to take their own decisions. I have a few places in the city centre I will be going tomorrow, of course following social distancing and hygiene guidance but starting to resume a form of normality.

growleaves wrote: »
    I got notified of being laid off today! I finish for good in 2 weeks, so I would like for some semblance of an economy to exist by then so I can 'bounce back'.

No it isn't my personal take. Attitudes to death were different before the invention of penicillin and the decline of Christianity. If you're bringing historical perspectives into it then you have to keep in mind how people of the past thought (i.e. differently from you). An Englishman born in 1860 (i.e. 80 years old in 1940) would not be talking about extending his life-span and calling people selfish.

Why the personalising of this thread? No one has called you out personally. Yes i know many people have lost their jobs. That has been acknowledged. And dispite the few crazy conspiracy theorists on here - no it's not something which was wanted. Btw best of luck in getting back on track with employment. I have no doubt you will.

No it's not historical perspectives. As explained the rely was to an existing topic that claimed there were no restrictions during WW2. The fact is there were plenty

But nope historical perspectives are not relevant to how society looks after the health and welfare of all its citizens today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Btw best of luck in getting back on track with employment. I have no doubt you will.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't know if you can remember as far back as March, but the pubs closed then with barely a whimper.

Yes the pubs took it on the chin and complied with advice at the time.

Now the curve has been flattened and the virus has been suppressed but much wants more and an unelected individual goes on national radio and instead of thanking the pubs he goes and tries to kick them in balls when they are down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Where I am is starting phase 1 of the reopening tomorrow, earlier than the original date of May 15. Shops, restaurants, salons etc can operate at 50% capacity. Even bars can open if they also serve food but the actual bar can't be used for seating.. I wonder if they'll be busy?

I noticed yesterday way more people out and about and the supermarket and hardware shop was pretty busy. Massive queue of cars for Starbucks drive thru. People are sick of the lockdown the world over it seems.

Where are you living?

Yes the pubs took it on the chin and complied with advice at the time. Now the curve has been flattened and the virus has been suppressed but much wants more and an unelected individual goes on national radio and instead of thanking the pubs he goes and tries to kick them in balls when they are down.

What are you on about? Looks like more pot stirting shenanigans tbh. It is the rate of infection which has been suppressed due to ongoing restrictions. It remains we have high numbers of new cases. Keeping the infection rate down and reducing that is a priority atm. But no most of the sane people do not 'much wants more' other than to get deaths and new cases reduced.

So I see you reckon pubs are the number one priority? Funnily enough even the UK does not have a set date for when they will open their pubs. In Ireland we do have a date. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes the pubs took it on the chin and complied with advice at the time.

Now the curve has been flattened and the virus has been suppressed but much wants more and an unelected individual goes on national radio and instead of thanking the pubs he goes and tries to kick them in balls when they are down.

Tried to kick them in the balls.

Hyperbolic nonsense.

He said that pubs themselves had expressed doubt back in March about their ability to adhere to guidelines re social distancing and they closed before it was actually a mandatory requirement. The pubs knew it was impossible before anyone had to tell them.

He was expressing an honest opinion that it's still going to be difficult for pubs to open and operate as before while there's a requirement for social distancing. C'mon, lets be honest here, of all places pubs are the hardest and most least likely to get this right.

The DOH have been stressing all week that they are willing to listen to proposals from businesses about how they can make changes to their work practices to try to get back in business earlier - it isn't a closed book, there's going to be efforts made to find some agreement if possible. This Tony the tyrant crap is pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

gozunda wrote: »
    The poster did not poster say otherwise. The fact is that massive restrictions were placed on the entire population during WW2. Curfews were common. People were killed by bombs even in bomb shelters. ARP and police were given enhanced powers. Travel was restricted. Food was rationed. Children were packed up and dispatched away from their families to live with strangers in rural areas. Thd reason that some public facilities remained open was to keep morale up and to cater for those in the army and those in the war effort. The primary difference was there was no major contagion so that wasnt a risk which had to be considered.

The hyperbole in this thread is truely at historic levels tbh.

Restrictions have been put in place in many countries around the world. So no it's not only a "grown man". And no one wishes to "confine people in shelters indefinitely".

In Ireland people have been under stay at home restictions for 6 weeks. Italy had 2 months. And yet we have 'grown men" whinging like babies - that they can't go the pub. The same individuals would most likely have been incarcerated in the 1940s ...

We are more enlightened now. The same get to moan and whinge instead on social media ...

At no stage did Britain deliberately destroy their own economy during WW2 despite facing an enemy far more dangerous to the general population than covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Arghus wrote: »
    This Tony the tyrant crap is pure fantasy.

It would be if he was remotely transparent. The "as low as possible" quote showed him for what he is

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

And also people realise from the data that the crisis is over, as a result of their own efforts at staying put for the lockdown. It's great to see businesses taking their own intelligent approach to start opening and not wait for the painfully inefficient guidance to come from an unelected and unaccountable body. Also, not having a government means people are to a certain extent permitted to take their own decisions. I have a few places in the city centre I will be going tomorrow, of course following social distancing and hygiene guidance but starting to resume a form of normality.

Eh the poster is based in the US afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Last week I would have said reopening should be based 50% on health reasons and 50% on economic reasons.

This week I reckon it should be based 99% on economic reasons.

Its obvious this illness largely affects those who were already on deaths door. Mainly elderly with chronic underlying conditions.

Destroying our economy on that basis is insanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Can I ask people here defending NPHET and Tony Holohan - why are they given absolute power over us? They are unelected, unanswerable to us as voters and don’t care about anything other than covering themselves, I’ve lost respect for the people in charge.
    Data shows we should be re-opening yesterday not in August.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement