Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

It is not a mild illness. The lockdown was needed - the question now is the timing of the easing of this martial
    Law

Martial Law? Do you even know what that is? Because at no point has this country been even close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It is not a mild illness. The lockdown was needed - the question now is the timing of the easing of this martial
    Law.

I wish people would stop with this, 'martial law', 'police state' rubbish.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Terrible but they'll find it hard to find a job if they are dead.

And if he does not need to travel to his business he does not have to fear dying in a car accident. Maybe he should also consider wrapping himself in bubble wrap in case he falls out of bed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

How many nurses and doctors do you think died? It’s only a tiny number. You think no nurse or doctor ever died of flu?

Covid has been ridiculously hyped.

Most have already massively backtracked on their early predictions. We had a HSE consultant on boards who thought 250000 Irish could die.

And the media, in the uk at least, has exaggerated the numbers of nurses killed by this. Many times if you read the full article it turns out that the person worked as a nurse 10 years ago, it’s being reported as a nurse dying of covid

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah but the dead don't care about providing for their families and employers have do empathy with the employees. Empathy is a good social skill, you should work on it!

• Advertisement

Multipass wrote: »
    Every life didn’t matter back then apparently.

It would be naive to think it ever did or ever will.

Lots of underfunded illnesses out there.
    But the media is not watching those closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I would quite safely think that if most of his staff arent over the age of 80 or already have underlying conditions then they wont die.

If this person employs say a 20 year old who's fit and healthy I think they should be allowed to work. Why should they lose their job ??

Saying they could die is a bit over the top borderline scaremongering. Think you need some empathy based off your posting records. It's not quite as clear cut as well you've lost your job but your not dead. I could die in a crash on my way to work tomorrow morning, should I give up work ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Stephen A Smith

How many nurses and doctors do you think died? It’s only a tiny number. You think no nurse or doctor ever died of flu?

Most have already massively backtracked on their early predictions. We had a HSE consultant on boards who thought 250000 Irish could die.

Maybe a tiny number in our country but it’s a significant number worldwide. It’s totally unjust to say it’s a mild illness and scaremongering which was my reply to the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Penfailed wrote: »
    I wish people would stop with this, 'martial law', 'police state' rubbish.

Absolutely, I'd love to see some people actually live in a police state if they think this is one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

nj27 wrote: »
    Might be opened on May 18th. You could argue they fit some of these criteria.

"Shops that were previously open in Tier 2 (for example: homeware, opticians, motor, bicycle and repair, office products, electrical, IT, phone sales and repair) can open."

Oh does that mean that ‘Homestore and more’ will open on 18th of May?

• Advertisement

I never read that the HSE consultant claimed a figure of 250000 deaths. I did read him stating a figure of 80000 to 90000 deaths over the next 12 months in his pessimistic case scenario. This would have been if no restrictions whatsoever had been implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I would quite safely think that if most of his staff arent over the age of 80 or already have underlying conditions then they wont die.

If this person employs say a 20 year old who's fit and healthy I think they should be allowed to work. Why should they lose their job ??

Saying they could die is a bit over the top borderline scaremongering. Think you need some empathy based off your posting records. It's not quite as clear cut as well you've lost your job but your not dead. I could die in a crash on my way to work tomorrow morning, should I give up work ?

That’s the thing. But it’s hard to reason when people just think that only for the fact we locked down we were all going to die!

I wonder how our testing turnaround times etc are coming along, sure what difference does the likes of that make, it’s all about the lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

The thing is, we’ve had situations like this before were a really bad flu season wipes out a lot of elderly people.

We just didn’t go into lockdown. And there wasn’t all the constant scaremongering in the media/social media.

There was probably even a strain of Covid here since last year. We just carried on through it.

This whole thing is just people getting hysterical over a mild illness.

Not people

It's elected leaders and media driving the hysteria for selfish reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Quite possibly but if there is another extension I think it would be for 2 weeks.

Your a miserable person every post from you is about extending restrictions.

I never read that the HSE consultant claimed a figure of 250000 deaths. I did read him stating a figure of 80000 to 90000 deaths over the next 12 months in his pessimistic case scenario. This would have been if no restrictions whatsoever had been implemented.

He had even crazier figures early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

So in 8 days time what do our numbers need to be at to ease restrictions?

Anyone? Or are we still dealing with the vagueness of as low as possible as a reference point.

Actually what are we measuring, did we get any official guidance on that even?

rob316 wrote: »

Wow. Just because he has a different opinion to you? Everybody wants to see restrictions lifted but not if they feel it’s unsafe to do so or will see us go backwards.

Nothing wrong with someone wanting to be safe than sorry for the sake of a week or fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: ShineOn7 - threadbanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wow. Just because he has a different opinion to you? Everybody wants to see restrictions lifted but not if they feel it’s unsafe to do so or will see us go backwards.

Nothing wrong with someone wanting to be safe than sorry for the sake of a week or fortnight.

There is a nasty undertone to some of the messages here which is hard to understand really.

But each to their own.

Everyone wants the same thing in the end and for the country to come out of this in as good a shape as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I'm utterly convinced you're taking the piss and this whole thing is a wind up.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »

Maybe read the comments of the poster I was replying to. BTW I would rather be miserable than being infected with and passing on the virus to someone which results in them fighting for their life in an ICU ward or lying in a cemetery plot or being cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

the kelt wrote: »
    So in 8 days time what do our numbers need to be at to ease restrictions?

Anyone? Or are we still dealing with the vagueness of as low as possible as a reference point.

Actually what are we measuring, did we get any official guidance on that even?
    I think they are going with it anyway but slowly over the three weeks. Low hospital admissions and ICU beds occupied for sure. On cases I'd guess well south of 100, maybe 50 or below.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I'm utterly convinced you're taking the piss and this whole thing is a wind up.

I think the username should clear up any confusion .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    R number in Germany back up to 1.1. We will see over the coming week what this means.

Maybe our slow reopening approach might prove the most sensible.

There was a really good explainer I saw of the difference between 1.0 and 1.1 on Ireland's figures that was really stark.

It has a huge impact on spread and ultimately hospital rates. I'll see if I can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Well this is interesting. Do you think Germany's R number went to 1.1 because they are lifting restrictions

OR because they havent been lifting them quick enough?

"Over 3,000 people rallied in Munich and thousands more gathered in Stuttgart and across Germany on Saturday to demand the lifting of restrictions ordered by the German authorities. Many of the protesters defied the guidelines which call for a limited number of participants and for social distancing to be maintained during such events."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-thousands-of-protesters-slam-isolation-measures/a-53382891

This was yesterday.

He's an insult to the honourable tradition of rent boys based in Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a nasty undertone to some of the messages here which is hard to understand really.

But each to their own.

Everyone wants the same thing in the end and for the country to come out of this in as good a shape as possible.

It's how you define shape & how you take into account long term consequences. Lives saved from Covid have to be balanced against lives lost due to no health screening etc. A lot of doctors appear to be more concerned about the latter.

LiquidZeb wrote: »

A sector hit hardest in the UK I’d lead to believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was just in town (Cork city) and it was like a normal Sunday. There was people everywhere, walking about drinking coffee and sat on benches and in the park eating takeaway food from the local cafes and restaurants.

I go to Dunnes in there weekly to do my shopping, usually the clothing/homeware section is completely sectioned off and you can only access the grocery section.
    Not today, all 3 floors open. I went into Boots and previously you couldn’t access the makeup/perfume or baby clothing sections, only the necessities & pharmacy was available but not any more.
    All sections were open to the public.

There is going to be uproar if Dunnes & Boots are allowed to trade from their clothing/homeware departments and other retail stores are being forced to wait months to open.
    If the government won’t accommodate them I can see them opening up of their own accord.
    Other businesses are already finding ways around the restrictions as it is, and more will do the same when they see the unfairness of some stores being allowed to trade when they’re expected to stay closed.

It’s over lads, I didn’t believe it till today but it’s clear now. The amount of people around proves it.
    The fear & terror that was keeping people cooped up in their homes is gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement