Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's crazy how many countries, some who were hell on earth in terms of daily cases and deaths compared to us, can get back to normality quicker than ourselves. The irony is, if the EU made it mandatory to re-open economies and abolish social distancing, we'd be our usual lap dog self kowtowing to the boss.

We will be the laughing stock of Europe by the time this madness ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

One FG minister is unhappy with proceedings

“I am baffled as to why we should be going against the WHO on this, considering that the Irish NPHET have found a 'lack of evidence' in differentiating between the benefit of a one versus two-metre distance.

"This small change to policy could and would have a massive impact on the ability of our SME’s and restaurants to trade, for our healthcare staff to treat patients, and for students to return education,” Mr Halligan said.

The minister, who has decided to retire from politics and did not stand at the last election, said he has been contacted by a litany of SME’s, not-for-profits and charitable organisations facing an existential threat as result of the lockdown.

It was recently reported that Ireland could see as many as 1,800 hundred cancer deaths as a result of the people’s inability to obtain a GP’s referral.

“Is this a reasonable price to pay? Presumably, there will also be an increase in those dying from other treatable illnesses,” Mr Halligan asked.

"Indeed, someone very close to me has been left in perpetual agony due to the cancellation of an elective operation on his back,” he said."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/minister-breaks-ranks-and-calls-for-social-distancing-rules-to-be-relaxed-1002090.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

paw patrol wrote: »
    Who isn't upset with the current measures?
    Everyone is upset with the current measures.

Everyone would rather we weren't in this situation.

It says a lot when windbags imagine that there's some massive cohort of people raking in the cash and partying through this and never want it to end.

There's a difference between being happy with the situation, and supporting the measures that have been taken so far.

You need some mad level of seige mentality to claim that you're part of a special minority who are suffering through this, and everyone else is having a grand old laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

seamus wrote: »

It says a lot when windbags imagine that there's some massive cohort of people raking in the cash and partying through this and never want it to end.

There's a difference between being happy with the situation, and supporting the measures that have been taken so far.

You need some mad level of seige mentality to claim that you're part of a special minority who are suffering through this, and everyone else is having a grand old laugh.

jaysis wept:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

polesheep wrote: »
    Correction, 71% of The Journal readers are happy.

There was an ERSI survey, mentioned several times, that had the majority of those surveyed agreeing with the current speed of rolling back restrictions, 20% or so, can't remember exactly, saying it was too fast, and then a minority saying it wasn't fast enough.

• Advertisement

It's crazy how many countries, some who were hell on earth in terms of daily cases and deaths compared to us, can get back to normality quicker than ourselves. The irony is, if the EU made it mandatory to re-open economies and abolish social distancing, we'd be our usual lap dog self kowtowing to the boss.

We will be the laughing stock of Europe by the time this madness ends.

Make your minds up and come to a consensus, seems to change with every post.

Are we comparing ourselves to other countries, or not, or just when it suits? It tends to be overwhelmingly the latter

paw patrol wrote: »
    jaysis wept:rolleyes:

He hit the nail on the head though, as much as your inability for form a cohesive argument against his point. This thread alone has all the evidence.

Case in point...
    bush wrote: »
    71% of people delighted to be sitting on their holes with lovely weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

seamus wrote: »

200,000 who get more money from sitting at home with 350 euro a week are having a grand old laugh. There will be hysteria of laughs if/when this is extended for them.

The stupidity of our government to allow this in the first place is, laughable, in fairness.

And to be honest I think that majority of people who are complaining about these measures are taxpayers who get very little to no respect for being taxpayers and supporting this whole luxury of 350 euro a week for every Tom Dick and Harry (we have plenty of foreign students claiming 350 euro a week, do we laugh or cry about that given that those students wanted to depart anyways but stayed for the 350 euro weekly gift)

Or, parents of 20, 25 year olds who will be unemployed now for years to come and live with those parents for years. And that is, to be honest, extremely sad whether you are pro or anti lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Hurrache wrote: »
    He hit the nail on the head though, as much as your inability for form a cohesive argument against his point. This thread alone has all the evidence.

nah, he (probably on purpose) misrepresented what I wrote
    no point engaging with that raiméis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well that's decent as they are a hard audience to please, ever! In real life you'd expect to see similar. They were calm and did well enough in the sense that we never saw the worst of it seen elsewhere. They'll still get brownie points for the cautious approach out of it. Many people are not itching to be in "normality".

On the other hand, many people are returning to normality and couldn't be arsed reading or voting in the Journal. They're out enjoying the sunshine or trying to get their lives back on track. The real evidence is on the street for all to see.

• Advertisement

bush wrote: »
    71% of people delighted to be sitting on their holes with lovely weather.

Wait, you think all those are unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Funny how any poll showing the majority of people asked are happy with how things are being handled are instantly dismissed, but anecdotes from people on Boards are taken as gospel.

i think thats the problem all along without huge testing figures any analysis is almost guess work.

i dont think anyone has a handle on transmission vectors and what real world solutions will slow/stop thgis, the only thing we do seem to know that its hit certain parts of the community very hard

When all of this kicked off I got advice from an immunologist (family member). No models or other bullsh8t. Just plain science. One of the things that he told me was that, although it was not a flu, it would strike like a flu and hit those usually vulnerable to a flu and that I was at virtually no risk whatsoever. I based my personal reaction to Covid-19 on his advice. One interesting thing he said about models was that by the time you have sufficient data for an accurate model, you already know how the virus is acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

polesheep wrote: »
    When all of this kicked off I got advice from an immunologist (family member). No models or other bullsh8t. Just plain science. One of the things that he told me was that, although it was not a flu, it would strike like a flu and hit those usually vulnerable to a flu and that I was at virtually no risk whatsoever. I based my personal reaction to Covid-19 on his advice. One interesting thing he said about models was that by the time you have sufficient data for an accurate model, you already know how the virus is acting.

The government advice from the start of all this has also been that those usually at risk from the flu are also most at risk from Covid-19. The point about models is just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

the kelt wrote: »
    Well we have a Minister for Health who a few weeks ago spoke about not finding a vaccine for the 18 other corona virus that came before Covid 19 so in that respect anything goes!

And then people want to elect CMOs and other experts, because of the quality and accountability you would get.

i think thats the problem all along without huge testing figures any analysis is almost guess work.

i dont think anyone has a handle on transmission vectors and what real world solutions will slow/stop thgis, the only thing we do seem to know that its hit certain parts of the community very hard
    The government advice from the start of all this has also been that those usually at risk from the flu are also most at risk from Covid-19. The point about models is just bizarre.

Then why the full lockdown and scaremongering? I suspect it was because we have such an appalling health service and any other response would have led to it being quickly overwhelmed. If so, I believe that the extra capacity we extracted from the health service to deal with Covid-19 will be paid for through the neglect of other health care requirements.

The bit about the models I may be confused on. I have no experience of them. The gist, if I recall correctly, was that they wouldn't have much validity and that two opposing models was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Gael23 wrote: »
    Joe McHugh has come out and said schools can’t reopen while the 2m rule stands

I suppose we will be able to organise summer camps going by media talk to ease the burden on children but we won’t be able to get them back to school in September. :rolleyes:

Tis a great auld country all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Was anything said in the Dail today about speeding up the lifting of restrictions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Funny how any poll showing the majority of people asked are happy with how things are being handled are instantly dismissed, but anecdotes from people on Boards are taken as gospel.

Pay people €350 of borrowed money to sit on their holes watching Netflix and ask if they're happy with how things are going.

Sure, let's base the policy decisions off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Safe to say more people will be calling for things to open so they can get back to work. Payment break comes to an end in September, most people would need to be working through August at least to be on track to meet a mortgage payment in September

https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/1265983932048252930?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Safe to say more people will be calling for things to open so they can get back to work. Payment break comes to an end in September.

Should be end of June

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Safe to say more people will be calling for things to open so they can get back to work. Payment break comes to an end in September.

Just hear that on Rte radio 1- Hayes predictably towing the EU line on repayments but pretty stark listening for anyone severely effected. If that isn’t an alarm bell
    to get back to work I don’t know what is?

road_high wrote: »
    Just hear that on Rte radio 1- Hayes predictably towing the EU line on repayments but pretty stark listening for anyone severely effected. If that isn’t an alarm bell
    to get back to work I don’t know what is?

Yeah realistically with other bills etc its inevitable that people have been using any savings they had so realistically you'd have to have a wage coming in during August so that your not stuck come September.

I'm sure banks will engage with people who are in difficulty but it's an alarm bell for people to get back to work. Anyone that is on the €350 with a mortgage break should be now actively hoping restrictions are eased sooner so they can get back to work and dont have the banks hanging over them.

It'll change the tune of alot of people who were happy to just keep going seeing as they had no bills

What’s going to be magically different on June 8th, 29th or 10th August?

If we’re afraid to open or concerned every time somebody is admitted to ICU than we need to start looking at a plan to fund the country while leaving restrictions in place until a vaccine is available.

We’ll bankrupt generations but sure if we save one life it was well worth it. Right?

Better testing and tracing with every day that passes. Allows us to keep outbreaks localised. Really easy to find this information. South Korea are the model.

mikekerry wrote: »
    By what actual good does this daily bombardment of bad news do to people only to put more fear into people ( and maybe to prompt them to stay indoors)?
    Couldn't they just do a weekly report of figures?

It’s adds to the drama and makes Tony appear relevant and hands on. Despite the fact that thanks to the way these things are reported we get all kinds of ups and downs in the data. A weekly total would be far more useful and relevant

All being paid for with borrowed money.

Will be fascinating to see the satisfaction levels when the bill arrives.

I'm sure all the lockdown-fanboys will be delighted with massive increased taxes and cuts to spending.

Indeed. Come back to us after the next budget- that’s when the real “satisfaction “ will be evident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/norway-health-chief-lockdown-was-not-needed-to-tame-covid

"Our assessment now, and I find that there is a broad consensus in relation to the reopening, was that one could probably achieve the same effect – and avoid part of the unfortunate repercussions – by not closing. But, instead, staying open with precautions to stop the spread."

Can we get this to a journo and ensure Dr. T is asked about it!!!!!

ElTel wrote: »
    Can we get this to a journo and ensure Dr. T is asked about it!!!!!

You’d get more response by showing it to the nearest brick wall as him to be honest.

Wonder how long Tony’s muriel will last?

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement