Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

That's a sad reflection on the others if Simon '18 other coroviruses' Harris is a stronger voice at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is this open to review in June do you know? Surely the EU will step in?

Legislation lapses 18th June so will have to be reviewed before then.

I'd be surprised if Leo or whoever is in charge in June didn't have contact from the commission in advance seeing as most european countries will be lifting restrictions on travel through June and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's a sad reflection on the others if Simon '18 other coroviruses' Harris is a stronger voice at this stage

Its an even sadder reflection our government cant provide Cervical, Breast, Bowel & Diabetic Retinopathy screening programmes to its citizens - HSE says it can not give any date for resumption.

If i had a daughter who needed such test I would be out there in front of government buildings making some serious noise day and night. This is getting to mass murder stage that will only be identified next year.

As other poster said heads really should roll for this

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Harris cant lose - he wont be blamed for the economy collapsing and wont have to pick up the pieces.

manniot2 wrote: »
    Thanks. Is the mandatory to fill in the form bit in legislation anywhere or how does that work?

Yeah was signed in last week under Harris using his emergency powers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Its an even sadder reflection our government cant provide Cervical, Breast, Bowel & Diabetic Retinopathy screening programmes to its citizens - HSE says it can not give any date for resumption.

If i had a daughter who needed such test I would be out there in front of government buildings making some serious noise day and night. This is getting to mass murder stage that will only be identified next year.

Hysterical nonsense. Mass murder is an insane statement. Your hypothetical daughter doesn't count as a murder victim.

fr336 wrote: »
    Ryanair are perfectly within their rights to get going again. They have put in place measures such as compulsory face coverings. Other businesses rushing to open up can earn their right to when they have adequate measures in place which are policed properly.

I think I read somewhere that Aviation contributes 9 -12% of all governments tax income for the year. Something like 4/5 billion euros per year.

If Ryanair doesnt fly we ll be 10% poorer on top of all the lost tax revenue from fall in retail, hospitality etc.

Seriously concerning. Aerlingus is 2nd biggest contributor but obviously much smaller than Ryanair as passengers carried per year is like 20 m vs 150m.

D.Q wrote: »
    Hysterical nonsense. Mass murder is an insane statement. Your hypothetical daughter doesn't count as a murder victim.

You are clearly not affected by any of these screening programmes being called.

Good for you.

Lets revisit your post 18 months from now.

PS below is an insane statement. Been like that for 11 weeks now. 11 weeks.

Breast screening - BreastCheck
    Breast screening is paused due to the coronavirus outbreak. If you are worried about symptoms, please phone your GP. Never ignore symptoms. For other queries, phone Freephone 1800 45 45 55.

https://www2.hse.ie/breast-screening/

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Fair play to Germany showing us the way forward. They really are the only competent nation in the EU.

Germany, like the Czech republic made wearing masks mandatory. There is a staggering amount of people here though that want the economy to reopen but will fight tooth and nail against wearing mask to help stop the spread and protect others. Wearing mask indoors should have been made mandatory a long time ago and still should once retail reopens.its a tiny concession to help people keep safer and feel safer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'm no fan of Ryanair but they directly or indirectly support hundreds of thousands if not more than a million jobs across Europe. Its vital to see airlines back at almost full capacity, transferring people safely around the continent. 14 day qurantines were needed back in March and April when we were getting a grip on this.
    Going forward we need to look at fast turnaround testing at airports.

The government have been behind the curve on everything else so I don't expect them to be any better at this. But fast turnaround testing would make a big difference to improving our economic outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

France are reopening, bars, restaurants and cafes from next week in their green zones. All staff must wear masks.Customers must wear masks too when moving through the premises ie when entering, exiting the premises or going to the bathroom.All customers must be seated. 1m between tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Germany, like the Czech republic made wearing masks mandatory. There is a staggering amount of people here though that want the economy to reopen but will fight tooth and nail against wearing mask to help stop the spread and protect others. Wearing mask indoors should have been made mandatory a long time ago and still should once retail reopens.its a tiny concession to help people keep safer and feel safer

This this this. They want all the luxuries back they consider rights without even going through the "ordeal" of wearing a mask. It's just not socially acceptable to them. Well until they cop on maybe they'll have to keep dealing with half the economy being shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Seen this there

https://nltimes.nl/2020/05/28/thousands-dutch-covid-19-patients-likely-permanent-lung-damage-doctor-says

Permanent lung damage for people who get it even in younger age groups

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

totally agree (even though im unaffected) i cant believe that this wasnt planned in from day one of the lockdown as in how to resume treatments and screening absolutely crazy that people arent getting treatment after diagnosis.

titan18 wrote: »
    Seen this there

https://nltimes.nl/2020/05/28/thousands-dutch-covid-19-patients-likely-permanent-lung-damage-doctor-says

The key word in the first sentence "may". Its a complete unknown at this stage. Can only say this months down the line whenever or if they review patients that had it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Legislation lapses 18th June so will have to be reviewed before then.

I'd be surprised if Leo or whoever is in charge in June didn't have contact from the commission in advance seeing as most european countries will be lifting restrictions on travel through June and July.
    Thanks for that appreciated.

Seen this there

Thats very misleading?

Even the doctor himself says "likely"

THOUSANDS OF DUTCH COVID-19 PATIENTS LIKELY HAVE PERMANENT LUNG DAMAGE, DOCTOR SAYS

This is not a scientific study, its an opinion of a doctor.

Van den Toorn expects that "there may be thousands of people in the Netherlands who suffered permanent injury to the lungs from corona"

This is basically Dutch Gerry Killeen. Please ensure you post words like "likely" and "may be" if that is what the article is about.

"So far 45,500 people in the Netherlands tested positive for the coronavirus. Many did not get sick enough to need hospital care. In this group, Van den Toorn expects that permanent problems will be less serious, but still possible."

Lol he said "may be" "likely" "possible" in 1 interview. when you get 3 of these in an article you know its Gerry Killeen.

The key word in the first sentence "may". Its a complete unknown at this stage. Can only say this months down the line whenever or if they review patients that had it

Those advocating a rushed relaxation of lockdown work on maybe's all the time. Possible permanent lung damage for young people, but they still have their jobs I suppose.

totally agree (even though im unaffected) i cant believe that this wasnt planned in from day one of the lockdown as in how to resume treatments and screening absolutely crazy that people arent getting treatment after diagnosis.

The most infuriating and scary thing is, deep inside we know this is the only country to do this to non covid services.

This is something i am still not able to get to grips with even though Ive known the issue for over 2 weeks, in an Irish examiner article a 22 year old was ringing every GP she could to avail of these services yet no resolution. Simon Harris later on admitted that 1 person per hour in this country dies of cancer and some of these deaths are preventable if identified early. I actually feel worse and worse typing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Seen this there

You do know that chest infections and pneumonia can cause scarring on the lungs too?
    I’m asthmatic, it doesn’t give me much trouble but my lungs do have some scarring from it.

It’s a lot more common and easier to get than you would think, but not just from coronavirus. Many run of the mill illnesses can cause it too.

• Advertisement

Those advocating a rushed relaxation of lockdown work on maybe's all the time. Possible permanent lung damage for young people, but they still have their jobs I suppose.

No the people advocating for a quicker easing are basing their opinion off the experience of other European countries which is backed up by their stats and experience of the virus.

The article contains no fact, your post is trying to create an argument when there isn't one by the needless last line.

Chest infections, asthma etc all cause scaring on the lungs, but sure that doesn't get mentioned at any other time. It's not exactly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭nickkinneg

Reported in UK that 54000 infected this week slightly down from 61000 last week - guess that’s a positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

polesheep wrote: »
    You said that there was no secret made of the fact that we have an appalling health service. That's not true. The government continually defends the health service and has never conceded that it is appalling.

I never mentioned that the health service is appalling. That was you. It's not secret that the reason for the lockdown was that the health service couldn't cope, hence flattening the curve.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

No the people advocating for a quicker easing are basing their opinion off the experience of other European countries which is backed up by their stats and experience of the virus.

The article contains no fact, your post is trying to create an argument when there isn't one by the needless last line.

Chest infections, asthma etc all cause scaring on the lungs, but sure that doesn't get mentioned at any other time. It's not exactly rare.

You are too nice. The article & post are both crazy, basically says below

"there may be thousands of people, of all ages, getting permanent lung damage if they've contracted covid19"

0 proof, 0 scientific research, 0 facts. Kind of feel like "medics" and "professors" are treating this as a popularity contest, whoever says most wildest prediction wins. Real shame on the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A large majority of people out there in the real world (not here in a bubble of resentment and impatience!) actually support a softly softly cautious approach to reopening things.

I doubt the rants here are representative of the general population at all.

In time things will get back to some normality. I'm happy enough with the cautious approach for now anyway, and I doubt I am alone either.

If flights are operational off you go, no one is stopping you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Penfailed wrote: »
    I never mentioned that the health service is appalling. That was you. It's not secret that the reason for the lockdown was that the health service couldn't cope, hence flattening the curve.

I said: "I suspect it was because we have such an appalling health service and any other response would have led to it being quickly overwhelmed."

You said: "You suspect? There was no secret made of the fact that that was the reason."

A large majority of people out there in the real world (not here in a bubble of resentment and impatience!) actually support a softly softly cautious approach to reopening things.

I doubt the rants here are representative of the general population at all.

In time things will get back to some normality. I'm happy enough with the cautious approach for now anyway, and I doubt I am alone either.

If flights are operational off you go, no one is stopping you.

Thankfully, minority and Michael Martin in particular thinks that the softly softly cautious approach has a lot of nonsense elements. But feel free to continue to support it.

He told the Dail: “There is no remaining serious justification for the 5km limit. The public health concern is how people behave around others — not how far they are from their home.

“In fact, the research shows that this limit may be forcing people in urban areas into more crowded situations. I think this also applies to the 20km rule which is envisaged to replace the 5km rule.

“I don’t see a logic to it and I don’t see any scientific basis to it and I think we need to deal with that more expeditiously is my view and I am saying it here in the House.

“Equally the current distinctions between different types of shop are at best arbitrary. Supermarkets have been open throughout the pandemic while implementing measures about distancing and hygiene. The figures on community spread suggest the supermarkets have not played a role in spreading the virus, where the overwhelming issue is clustering in health facilities, nursing homes and some workplaces like meat factories.

He added: “In relation to the 2m guidance, which it has been acknowledged is not required by the science, it has been helpful but it cannot be allowed to block Ireland restarting activity which is already underway elsewhere without a negative impact.

“If it is true our capacity to rapidly test, trace and isolate is now in place, then we need to see this reflected in the loosening of policies put in place in part because we lacked this capacity.”

https://www.thesun.ie/news/5476595/sun-seekers-stay-home-micheal-martin-travelling-no-sense/

Man speaks sense. Every bold part you just cant say "oh well thats a lie". You cant. But feel free to comment.

You are too nice. The article & post are both crazy, basically says below

"there may be thousands of people, of all ages, getting permanent lung damage if they've contracted covid19"

0 proof, 0 scientific research, 0 facts. Kind of feel like "medics" and "professors" are treating this as a popularity contest, whoever says most wildest prediction wins. Real shame on the profession.

Should all the doctors and scientists advocating quick route out of lockdown shut up too? Leave it to the politicians etc?

Should all the doctors and scientists advocating quick route out of lockdown shut up too? Leave it to the politicians etc?

Quick?

When you have a 5 month lockdown announced, exiting such after 3 months or 3.5 can be called quick.

Unfortunately.

(it doesnt mean its quick in reality though, when you consider other European nations)

• Advertisement

From RTE:
    France will allow cafes, bars and restaurants to reopen with restrictions from next week and will also end limits on travel within the country as the coronavirus crisis eases, the prime minister has confirmed.

Edouard Philippe said France was making progress in its fight against the Covid-19 outbreak as he unveiled steps to further relax restrictions.

On 2 June, France's beaches will reopen, the ban on anyone travelling more than 100 km from their homes, except in special cases, is to be lifted while cafes, bars and restaurants are to reopen with customers kept at least one metre apart.

Other restrictions include a maximum of 10 diners per table. Staff will wear masks and customers must wear them too except when seated at their table.

In areas of the country designated as higher-risk "orange zones", only the outdoor areas of cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to reopen (this includes Paris).

Parks and public gardens in Paris, until now deemed to be in a Covid-19 "red zone", will also reopen on 2 June.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement