Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

From RTE:
    France will allow cafes, bars and restaurants to reopen with restrictions from next week and will also end limits on travel within the country as the coronavirus crisis eases, the prime minister has confirmed.

Cue UK public demanding bars and restaurants open immediately "cos the Europeans are getting back to normal" even though they have worst excess death rate in world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭uli84

Good God, im so terrified what nonsense they will come up with when it comes to schools re-opening

When i hear the word “roadmap” I know it’ll be no good, making decisions so much ahead will probably result in similar crap like Leaving Certs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

From RTE:
    France will allow cafes, bars and restaurants to reopen with restrictions from next week and will also end limits on travel within the country as the coronavirus crisis eases, the prime minister has confirmed.

Edouard Philippe said France was making progress in its fight against the Covid-19 outbreak as he unveiled steps to further relax restrictions.

On 2 June, France's beaches will reopen, the ban on anyone travelling more than 100 km from their homes, except in special cases, is to be lifted while cafes, bars and restaurants are to reopen with customers kept at least one metre apart.

Other restrictions include a maximum of 10 diners per table. Staff will wear masks and customers must wear them too except when seated at their table.

In areas of the country designated as higher-risk "orange zones", only the outdoor areas of cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to reopen (this includes Paris).

Parks and public gardens in Paris, until now deemed to be in a Covid-19 "red zone", will also reopen on 2 June.

Leo: "Heh, *chuckle*, heh, well, we're not for experimenting here, heh, we will just see how this goes and then, heh, we will see... Ehhh, who's next, ehhh, CMO"

Tony H: "Well, it's the opinion of the CMO, that *takes drink of water*, this is against our own guidelines and that I cannot speak for anyone else here, the Vintners will have to see, and in no certain terms, what, and this includes cafes, pubs, bar the guidance is and work around that and I see, and this is for everywhere, no change to the 2m guideline, in fact, at 99% safe, we still have a risk there, that may impact the public health services, and to be honest, we could be looking at 2.5m to remove that risk in phase 2. *LOOKS LEFT/RIGHT/LEFT* Ehhh, minister..."

Simon H: "WOULD YOU EVER COP ON. COP ON. BARS? COP ON."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

From RTE:

Edouard Philippe said France was making progress in its fight against the Covid-19 outbreak as he unveiled steps to further relax restrictions.

On 2 June, France's beaches will reopen, the ban on anyone travelling more than 100 km from their homes, except in special cases, is to be lifted while cafes, bars and restaurants are to reopen with customers kept at least one metre apart.

Other restrictions include a maximum of 10 diners per table. Staff will wear masks and customers must wear them too except when seated at their table.

In areas of the country designated as higher-risk "orange zones", only the outdoor areas of cafes, bars and restaurants will be allowed to reopen (this includes Paris).

Parks and public gardens in Paris, until now deemed to be in a Covid-19 "red zone", will also reopen on 2 June.

How I yearn for the continent. Always light years ahead of this place. We can’t even do a lockdown and reopening without it being turned into a fiasco that will bankrupt us. We are stuck here as well. At least if you were in Austria or Italy etc you’d have half a dozen other countries to just get away to on the excellent rapid train services they all have. Part of our problem is the isolated nature of our island- we didn’t use it at all it our advantage when we should have but now it’s being used as a stick to beat us with. Still very much small country syndrome going on sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If pubs and cafes in Ireland had as much outdoor terraced space as France, Spain and Italy we'd be flying!

As it is you cannot even walk down a street (in Dublin anyway) because the pavements are so narrow. If outdoor drinking/eating was possible that sector would open much sooner.

And before you start on about the weather here, I've been to many places in Europe in deepest Autumn/Winter and outdoor drinking/eating was rampant. That's because A. they had the space, and B. it was heated and blankets were provided. Always great to sit outside and people watch/watch the world go by.

We haven't embraced it much in cities here because it is nigh on impossible, or the Council would look for millions to place a few tables outside or something.

Time has come to think it out again!

• Advertisement

Leo: "Heh, *chuckle*, heh, well, we're not for experimenting here, heh, we will just see how this goes and then, heh, we will see... Ehhh, who's next, ehhh, CMO"

Tony H: "Well, it's the opinion of the CMO, that *takes drink of water*, this is against our own guidelines and that I cannot speak for anyone else here, the Vintners will have to see, and in no certain terms, what, and this includes cafes, pubs, bar the guidance is and work around that and I see, and this is for everywhere, no change to the 2m guideline, in fact, at 99% safe, we still have a risk there, that may impact the public health services, and to be honest, we could be looking at 2.5m to remove that risk in phase 2. *LOOKS LEFT/RIGHT/LEFT* Ehhh, minister..."

Simon H: "WOULD YOU EVER COP ON. COP ON. BARS? COP ON."

Can just hear Harris with his fake posh accent saying that. I believe that chap came from nothing (Nothing wrong with that btw) but acts as if there’s a silver spoon rammed up his rear end
    “Social distancing “ is fav phrase

If pubs and cafes in Ireland had as much outdoor terraced space as France, Spain and Italy we'd be flying!

As it is you cannot even walk down a street (in Dublin anyway) because the pavements are so narrow. If outdoor drinking/eating was possible that sector would open much sooner.

And before you start on about the weather here, I've been to many places in Europe in deepest Autumn/Winter and outdoor drinking/eating was rampant. That's because A. they had the space, and B. it was heated and blankets were provided. Always great to sit outside and people watch/watch the world go by.

We haven't embraced it much in cities here because it is nigh on impossible, or the Council would look for millions to place a few tables outside or something.

Time has come to think it out again!

The weather is horrendous here for outdoor dining most of the time that’s why

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

uli84 wrote: »
    Good God, im so scarred what nonsense they will come up with when it comes to schools re-opening

When i hear the word “roadmap” I know it’ll be no good, making decisions so much ahead will probably result in similar crap like Leaving Certs

And September is 3 months away anyway . So much can change in 3 months
    By then kids will be playing with cousins and friends and mixing freely

road_high wrote: »
    The weather is horrendous here for outdoor dining most of the time that’s why

Read my post again, I addressed this.

Incredible that countries hit much harder than us are going to be fully reopen and a huge number of Irish are not even allowed to see family for another 2 months almost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

News
    I cant give exact location - lets go with Dublin North, my local Aldi has stopped doing queues and social distancing at the door.

People were queuing by themselves for about 3 - 4 minutes before penny dropped for the first person who realised theres no security guard, walked in. Everybody followed through.

Absolutely brilliant. Security guard was inside the shop wearing a mask and just standing, looking around. Basically instead of being a doorman he became a security guard. Funny enough Aldi staff arent wearing masks, they must know something we dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

All the countries in Europe can announce that they are opening bars, cafes, restaurants and lifting travel restrictions with a weeks notice, but apparently we have to stick rigidly to a 3 month farce. It’s utterly embarrassing why we are treated so differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Allowing the DIY stores to open up has been a good idea, for anyone willing to get into a long queue. Then I thought, sure I'll order online and get it sent out to me. Went onto woodies.ie and they have a daily allowance of online orders, tried each day and still got the message saying they have reached their daily limit. Even tried just after midnight, still the same thing.

So I tried other online stores in Ireland and the garden power tool and related accessories I'm after was almost double the price in some other shops as it was in woodies, or not available at all.
    Then, of course went to amazon.co.uk and placed the order with a UK supplier, will have my items next week plus saved on shipping and overall cost

Irish businesses looking to open up again are not making it easy for themselves even when they do open up. My money, for the second time over the last couple of weeks went to a UK supplier rather than one based here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

It's incredible to think we still have 10 more days to go until a person can go beyond 5km for anything other than an essential trip. You'll have the Gardai swarming the roads and beaches over the BH weekend, you'd almost think we had 500 cases and 100 deaths per day.

Go to phase 2 on Tuesday FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

JL555 wrote: »
    Allowing the DIY stores to open up has been a good idea, for anyone willing to get into a long queue. Then I thought, sure I'll order online and get it sent out to me. Went onto woodies.ie and they have a daily allowance of online orders, tried each day and still got the message saying they have reached their daily limit. Even tried just after midnight, still the same thing.

So I tried other online stores in Ireland and the garden power tool and related accessories I'm after was almost double the price in some other shops as it was in woodies, or not available at all.
    Then, of course went to amazon.co.uk and placed the order with a UK supplier, will have my items next week plus saved on shipping and overall cost

Irish businesses looking to open up again are not making it easy for themselves even when they do open up. My money, for the second time over the last couple of weeks went to a UK supplier rather than one based here in Ireland.

Thing is they know they’re days are numbered regardless of the lockdown business hit. Everything like DIY , clothes , electronics etc are going to be online 2-3 years from now. Physical static shops will be a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lundstram wrote: »
    It's incredible to think we still have 10 more days to go until a person can go beyond 5km for anything other than an essential trip. You'll have the Gardai swarming the roads and beaches over the BH weekend, you'd almost think we had 500 cases and 100 deaths per day.

Bad news is that the forecast is really good as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

dalyboy wrote: »
    Physical static shops will be a thing of the past.

Dunnes sell online yet Cornelscourts Drapery section is up on sales from previous years, people will always want to browse in shops, even on days like today when i couldn't think of anywhere worse to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm just home after spending the evening at the lake in Loughrea, lots of people out enjoying themselves while at the same time giving each other enough space and it was great to see it with this nice weather we are having.

Folks have decided themselves enough is enough and want to enjoy the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I couldn’t care less at this point regarding the 5km absurdity. I had my kids down at the packed beach for the last 4 days in a row. Great to see people out living again. Ice cream van selling his wears to beat the band and happy faces on everyone. Fantastic for the economy reboot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Updates:

Dr Tony Holohan says they are advising against indoor gatherings, and they will be giving consideration to when they think it is the right time to reopen churches, after it emerged a church in Dublin opened its doors for mass

Professor Philip Nolan, the Chair of the NPHET Irish Epidemiological Modelling Advisory Group, has said all indicators of Covid-19 are either "stable or declining"

Professor Philip Nolan says that almost everything he is seeing is "astonishingly stable"

Prof Philip Nolan said the level of disease in the community remains "very low" with about 50 cases per day

The Minister for Education, Joe McHugh, said it is hard to see all students being back at school in September

Dr Tony Holohan says they are advising against indoor gatherings

Good luck with that one Tony. The weather is going to fantastic for the next few days and people are going to visit friends and family and that's the end of the story.

Most people are now travelling beyond the 5km and we are already starting to break the 5km nonsense before it even ends in June.

People aren't going to be locked away when the weather is going to be 25-26° in some areas of the country.

Holohan knows in his head the game is up.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Dr Tony Holohan says they are advising against indoor gatherings

Good luck with that one Tony. The weather is going to fantastic for the next few days and people are going to visit friends and family and that's the end of the story.

Most people are now travelling beyond the 5km and we are already starting to break the 5km nonsense before it even ends in June.

People aren't going to be locked away when the weather is going to be 25-26° in some areas of the country.

Holohan knows in his head the game is up.

Why would you be inside if visiting family and the weather is glorious? He said Indoor gatherings not outside. But you might need to clean the jax after every visit by the masses gathering in the family lol.

Why would you be inside if visiting family and the weather is glorious? He said Indoor gatherings not outside. But you might need to clean the jax after every visit by the masses gathering in the family lol.

Some people might enter the house at night time perhaps when it starts getting chillier outside. There will be a good amount of parties happening this weekend for sure.

Some people might enter the house at night time perhaps when it starts getting chillier outside. There will be a good amount of parties happening this weekend for sure.

Ah look it, I know this. But please for your family's sake observe the basic rules of hand washing and all that. Enjoy.

Ryanair are not holding back they are still posting the routes online for people to view and book

https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1265686287396331520
    https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1265985267690807296

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It's like kids waiting for Christmas this is. Is not dying not a good enough reason to WAIT? Enjoy the rest of 2020. There will be more sunny days. There will be more bank holidays. I shudder to think how the west would do in a war these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I would have loved to go to the beach today and go for a swim, it would have definitely improved my mood and mental health but I just couldn’t face the Gardaí checkpoint I would definitely encounter. I was really grilled at one and now I’ve got pretty bad anxiety thinking about being in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What are you basing that on?

The latest opinion poll shows that only 41% of adults are breaking the 5km limit and 79% of those that did break the limit did so for work or shopping.

• Advertisement

VonLuck wrote: »
    What are you basing that on?

The latest opinion poll shows that only 41% of adults are breaking the 5km limit and 79% of those that did break the limit did so for work or shopping.

Well i live near a large coastal town and the Gardai have pretty much given up trying to stop people from entering.

The weather is just too nice and people are willing to take a chance at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement