Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

fin12 wrote: »
    I would have loved to go to the beach today and go for a swim, it would have definitely improved my mood and mental health but I just couldn’t face the Gardaí checkpoint I would definitely encounter. I was really grilled at one and now I’ve got pretty bad anxiety thinking about being in one.

Don't worry anymore about it :) this Saturday there is going to be great mass of people breaking the 5km limit, heading down to the beaches to enjoy the great weather.

I hope you manage to go out for a swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

RobitTV wrote: »
    Well i live near a large coastal town and the Gardai have pretty much given up trying to stop people from entering.

The weather is just too nice and people are willing to take a chance at this stage.

Well that's all the proof I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Incredible that countries hit much harder than us are going to be fully reopen and a huge number of Irish are not even allowed to see family for another 2 months almost.

Do it. Visit family. This situation is insanity. Ignore them , there are five million of us. What will they do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Lundstram wrote: »
    It's incredible to think we still have 10 more days to go until a person can go beyond 5km for anything other than an essential trip. You'll have the Gardai swarming the roads and beaches over the BH weekend, you'd almost think we had 500 cases and 100 deaths per day.

Go to phase 2 on Tuesday FFS.

It's ridiculous and I belive we are the only European country with this limit.

But at the end of the day the worst the Guards can do is advise you to go home if you get caught going to the beach or whatever, so if you want to go then go becasue it's better for everyones mental health

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

fin12 wrote: »
    I would have loved to go to the beach today and go for a swim, it would have definitely improved my mood and mental health but I just couldn’t face the Gardaí checkpoint I would definitely encounter. I was really grilled at one and now I’ve got pretty bad anxiety thinking about being in one.

You cant walk or cycle to beach I take it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ryanair are not holding back they are still posting the routes online for people to view and book

https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1265686287396331520
    https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1265985267690807296

Love Ryanair. When Oleary sees something like this he’ll use it for maximum publicity. They smell blood in the water and now it’s safe to do so will make a mockery of our supposed betters and powers that be. Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Idbatterim wrote: »
    You cant walk or cycle to beach I take it...

No the nearest beach to me is like 45 mins drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

I think I read somewhere that Aviation contributes 9 -12% of all governments tax income for the year. Something like 4/5 billion euros per year.

If Ryanair doesnt fly we ll be 10% poorer on top of all the lost tax revenue from fall in retail, hospitality etc.

Seriously concerning. Aerlingus is 2nd biggest contributor but obviously much smaller than Ryanair as passengers carried per year is like 20 m vs 150m.

That figure probably includes all of the aircraft leasing companies that are based in Ireland.
    • Over 50 aircraft leasing companies are based in Ireland, including 14 of the world's top 15 lessors
    • Over 60% of all leased aircraft worldwide are managed by Irish-based leasing companies
    • Ireland has a 65% share of the global leasing market
    • Almost 80% of Ireland's double tax treaties deliver a favourable result for aviation finance companies

https://www.pwc.ie/industries/aviation-finance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

VonLuck wrote: »
    What are you basing that on?

The latest opinion poll shows that only 41% of adults are breaking the 5km limit and 79% of those that did break the limit did so for work or shopping.

And I'm sure everyone tells the truth in an opinion poll....
    Only have to take a look at the local garda Facebook page to know people are breaking the 5k rule today. It's as plain as day its not being stuck to. Fair enough if your own close group aren't breaking it but most I know have all travelled over 5k in the last week for non essential reasons.

In my local district Gardaí today turned back more than 100 cars with people having travelled from places like Clonee, Dundalk and all parts of Dublin. More than 40 fixed charge notices were issued for illegal parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭prunudo

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    It's redicuoult and I belive we are the only European country with this limit.

But at the end of the day the worst the Guards can do is advise you to go home if you get caught going to the beach or whatever, so if you want to go then go becasue it's better for everyones mental health

Heard today that France had a 100km restriction in place but bar the initial tight restrictions that Spain and Italy had , afaik we were the only ones that had a staged 2, 5, 20km limits

• Advertisement

Ryanair are not holding back they are still posting the routes online for people to view and book

https://twitter.com/RyanairPress/status/1265686287396331520
    https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1265985267690807296

I'll be flying to either Italy or Cyprus next month, they can get my money.

I can even get my haircut while over there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You happy to be quarantined when you come back?

fr336 wrote: »

There is no quarantine, we only need to fill in a form which has our adress but they can't make us quarantine

That only lasts till June 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Brilliant :)

Brilliant :)

I hope more follow suit

I hope more follow suit

Yup hoping to take a week somewhere in July or August, just trying to see what week suits with work.

And I'm sure everyone tells the truth in an opinion poll....
    Only have to take a look at the local garda Facebook page to know people are breaking the 5k rule today. It's as plain as day its not being stuck to.

In my local district Gardaí today turned back more than 100 cars with people having travelled from places like Clonee, Dundalk and all parts of Dublin. More than 40 fixed charge notices were issued for illegal parking.

Opinion polls are widely used and are a very good indicator of the public's attitudes. Look at election opinion polls for instance.

You're exhibiting a clear case of confirmation bias. You've seen a large number of people in your area, therefore everyone must be behaving like this. For every 1 person you see there, there could be another 10, 50 or 100 sitting in their home not travelling anywhere. You don't see these people so you choose to ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I hope more follow suit

I m going end of August to Spain.

I wouldve liked to go to Berlin in July but tickets were pricey, I ll need to check out Munich etc.

All in all very hungry to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

This patrolling access to beaches is nonsense in and of itself as well.

If anything, social distancing has been subliminally a custom on them long before social distancing became part of the lexicon. I mean, who goes to a beach and plonks themselves in the middle of people? You always look for a secluded spot if you are wanting to stay a while, and if you are walking the shore or whatever, you (and whoever else) are keeping to yourself anyway.

I suppose though, I live close to the coast so maybe I am more "street-wise" than the bleedin' Dubs coming down :D

• Advertisement

Opinion polls are widely used and are a very good indicator of the public's attitudes. Look at election opinion polls for instance.

You're exhibiting a clear case of confirmation bias. You've seen a large number of people in your area, therefore everyone must be behaving like this. For every 1 person you see there, there could be another 10, 50 or 100 sitting in their home not travelling anywhere. You don't see these people so you choose to ignore them.

Ok so I was also in various parts of Dublin today I wasn't in my area so I'll take what the Gardai say at face value, it's not hard to argue with having seen the crowds at the beach the last 2 weeks, anyway on my travels through Dublin today I saw the same thing, people in large groups everywhere, beaches packed, do I need to go on and theres not a hope in hell they were all within 5k, people asking people for directions to the nearest shops for ice cream, if your within your 5k you know where the shops are. So no that's not confirmation bias, I see what I see, what you see is what you see. I could say the same thing, you might decide to ignore the fact that people are moving more than 5k, that's grand.

Its extremely wishful thinking to think the vast majority are still obeying this, take a look all around you. The 5k travel rule is long gone. More and more people I know have travelled down the country this weekend too, to go see family, these are people who up till a week ago wouldn't have left the local area. When the most obeying of people start to move outside you know its done

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Breezin

This patrolling access to beaches is nonsense in and of itself as well.

If anything, social distancing has been subliminally a custom on them long before social distancing became part of the lexicon. I mean, who goes to a beach and plonks themselves in the middle of people? You always look for a secluded spot if you are wanting to stay a while, and if you are walking the shore or whatever, you (and whoever else) are keeping to yourself anyway.

I suppose though, I live close to the coast so maybe I am more "street-wise" than the bleedin' Dubs coming down :D
    ffs... Dublin isn't in the Midlands. Get a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It's like kids waiting for Christmas this is. Is not dying not a good enough reason to WAIT? Enjoy the rest of 2020. There will be more sunny days. There will be more bank holidays. I shudder to think how the west would do in a war these days.

We did wait, the numbers are now low enough for people to get out and about despite the negative spin of RTE which tries to hit us with as much doom and gloom as possible on a daily basis.

By all means lock yourself away if you want but don't expect everyone else to do the same.

Ok so I was also in various parts of Dublin today and saw the same thing, people in large groups everywhere, beaches packed, do I need to go on and theres not a hope in hell they were all within 5k. So no that's not confirmation bias, I see what I see, what you see is what you see.

So no I'm not ignoring them but its extremely wishful thinking to think the vast majority are still obeying this, take a look all around you. The 5k travel rule is long gone.

Just because you keep saying it, that doesn't make it true. You're basing everything on your own anecdotal evidence and is not a true reflection on the reality.

If a poll was done next week showing what you're claiming is true, then I would fully accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I never had much respect for authority government etc

But all this bravado on this issue is not sitting well with me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Think i might go to Zante / Zakynthos in Greece in July. Would be a really great break way from here.

For the first time in months i'll be able to feel normal again and actually interact with other people on holiday.

Just because you keep saying it, that doesn't make it true. You're basing everything on your own anecdotal evidence and is not a true reflection on the reality.

If a poll was done next week showing what you're claiming is true, then I would fully accept that.

Likewise your also basing everything off your own belief and thats fine but its plain as day, if people are breaking the rules they're going to be less inclined to tell an opinion poll, if your telling them your voting preference your not making an admission of guilt. People are afraid to tell others they're over the 5k, the lynch mobs do be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There is a smack of total immaturity coming off some of the posts. But I suspect there are a lot of bored Leaving Cert students knocking around now, no exams, no work and all that.

If there are adults here and I suspect there are. Consider the message you are giving to your children. It's OK to do this, feck the Government and the scientists/health advisers, I know best laddie and lovie, down to the beach we go.

Honestly have to say that this spot of the internet is FULL of impatient people who have not thought it through at all. The majority of people do not agree with you chomping at the bit or breaking the rules either. Join your own club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You are clearly not affected by any of these screening programmes being called.

Good for you.

Whether someone is affected or not doesn't take away from the fact that your, "mass murder" statement, is hysterical nonsense.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

There is a smack of total immaturity coming off some of the posts. But I suspect there are a lot of bored Leaving Cert students knocking around now, no exams, no work and all that.

If there are adults here and I suspect there are. Consider the message you are giving to your children. It's OK to do this, feck the Government and the scientists/health advisers, I know best laddie and lovie, down to the beach we go.

Honestly have to say that this spot of the internet is FULL of impatient people who have not thought it through at all. The majority of people do not agree with you chomping at the bit or breaking the rules either. Join your own club.

Far from it, I think this thread should be admired. It shows that some people aren't afraid of critical thinking. They can look for alternative points of view, see how other countries are behaving rather than blindly following and believing everything we are being told here from a care taker government, a hapless media or career civil servants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement