Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Likewise your also basing everything off your own belief and thats fine but its plain as day, if people are breaking the rules they're going to be less inclined to tell an opinion poll, if your telling them your voting preference your not making an admission of guilt. People are afraid to tell others they're over the 5k, the lynch mobs do be out.

I have no beliefs one way or the other, neither pro nor anti-lockdown. I rather accept the facts when presented as opposed to making up my own interpretations of what I see.

You claim that people wouldn't be truthful in a poll, but on the other hand you're saying they're openly flouting the law. I mean if the latter is true, surely there's no greater way of showing you don't care about breaking the law by doing it very publicly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

There is a smack of total immaturity coming off some of the posts. But I suspect there are a lot of bored Leaving Cert students knocking around now, no exams, no work and all that.

If there are adults here and I suspect there are. Consider the message you are giving to your children. It's OK to do this, feck the Government and the scientists/health advisers, I know best laddie and lovie, down to the beach we go.

Honestly have to say that this spot of the internet is FULL of impatient people who have not thought it through at all. The majority of people do not agree with you chomping at the bit or breaking the rules either. Join your own club.

So following these rules for two and a half months is a sign of immaturity? while the cases decline and the rest of Europe is slowly getting back to some sort of normality.

What else should we do at this rate? the public have done what they were told. The curve has been flattened and we avoided overwhelming the health system.

We have done our job. People wan't to get back to work and to live normal lives again while also acting safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    Germany, like the Czech republic made wearing masks mandatory. There is a staggering amount of people here though that want the economy to reopen but will fight tooth and nail against wearing mask to help stop the spread and protect others. Wearing mask indoors should have been made mandatory a long time ago and still should once retail reopens.its a tiny concession to help people keep safer and feel safer

Sure someone on this very thread was calling mask wearers 'shamers' at one stage.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

RobitTV wrote: »
    So following these rules for two and a half months is a sign of immaturity? while the cases decline and the rest of Europe is slowly getting back to some sort of normality.

What else should we do at this rate? the public have done what they were told. The curve has been flattened and we avoided overwhelming the health system.

We have done our job. People wan't to get back to work and to live normal lives again while also acting safely.

Europe is actually getting back to normality rather quickly, posted this earlier but

"BELGIAN SCHOOLS OPEN FURTHER

Belgium will move to the next stage of reopening schools at the beginning of June, Prime Minister Sophie Wilmès announced late on Wednesday after coordinating with the regional governments, which are responsible for education.

Classes resumed on May 18 for certain grades at both primary and secondary schools. As of June 2, nursery schools will fully reopen, Wilmès announced. Social distancing will not be required. Children of all grades at primary schools will resume classes as of June 8. Further opening of secondary schools will be discussed at a later date."

We are falling behind dramatically as a nation. Getting silly how far behind we are... Our minister for education cant even promise schools re opening in September.

What else should we do at this rate? the public have done what they were told.

You have done what you were told and now you don't want to do what you've been told.

What if the public had wanted to stop following the lockdown restrictions 4 or 5 weeks into it? Would you still be saying the public have done what they were told, albeit for a month instead of 2.5 months?

You've kind of drawn your own line on what constitutes sufficient compliance.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »
    I said: "I suspect it was because we have such an appalling health service and any other response would have led to it being quickly overwhelmed."

You said: "You suspect? There was no secret made of the fact that that was the reason."

Yeah. I was referring to everything you typed after the 'and'.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

VonLuck wrote: »
    Opinion polls are widely used and are a very good indicator of the public's attitudes. Look at election opinion polls for instance.

You're exhibiting a clear case of confirmation bias. You've seen a large number of people in your area, therefore everyone must be behaving like this. For every 1 person you see there, there could be another 10, 50 or 100 sitting in their home not travelling anywhere. You don't see these people so you choose to ignore them.

As with all things like this, the time when people stop conforming vs the time they admit publically that they aren't conforming won't match up. Walk through your local town today, that'll tell you more than a poll.

You have done what you were told and now you don't want to do what you've been told.

What if the public had wanted to stop following the lockdown restrictions 4 or 5 weeks into it? Would you still be saying the public have done what they were told, albeit for a month instead of 2.5 months?

You've kind of drawn your own line on what constitutes sufficient compliance.

The curve has been flattened and we avoided overwhelming the health system. That was the goal and the entire reason behind the lockdown.

We have achieved the objective. The public have came together and completed the task and they have done what was asked of them.

I don't want to open up everything tomorrow morning, but the phased plan needs to be accelerated in a safe manner and in a way that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

You only have to look out the window to see people don't really care anymore. Children having a 5 a side soccer match here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bush wrote: »
    You only have to look out the window to see people don't really care anymore. Children having a 5 a side soccer match here.
    Shocking to see people outside, in a low risk scenario.

• Advertisement

JL555 wrote: »
    Allowing the DIY stores to open up has been a good idea, for anyone willing to get into a long queue. Then I thought, sure I'll order online and get it sent out to me. Went onto woodies.ie and they have a daily allowance of online orders, tried each day and still got the message saying they have reached their daily limit. Even tried just after midnight, still the same thing.

So I tried other online stores in Ireland and the garden power tool and related accessories I'm after was almost double the price in some other shops as it was in woodies, or not available at all.
    Then, of course went to amazon.co.uk and placed the order with a UK supplier, will have my items next week plus saved on shipping and overall cost

Irish businesses looking to open up again are not making it easy for themselves even when they do open up. My money, for the second time over the last couple of weeks went to a UK supplier rather than one based here in Ireland.

Yeah...but lockdown will be blamed for companies failing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Good to hear the kids are getting back to normality like the rest of us. The ball is in the governments court now to make the speed of the phases catch up with the public, because the roadmap is dead in the water as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ElvenAl

Search for the following "80s aids advert videos" and see the hysterical scaremongering lies which were promoted. Why do you think this is any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

To those who replied to me earlier, I know it's frustrating.

Let's see how opening things up in other countries works regarding spikes and so on. THEN go for it. We are fortunate to be in a position to see how it works out elsewhere.

I'm no killjoy. At all.

What is it with this thread's determination to present anecdotal evidence as fact?

Do you think that the more you say "the lockdown is over", the more likely it'll become true?

Dr Tony Holohan says they are advising against indoor gatherings

Good luck with that one Tony. The weather is going to fantastic for the next few days and people are going to visit friends and family and that's the end of the story.

Most people are now travelling beyond the 5km and we are already starting to break the 5km nonsense before it even ends in June.

People aren't going to be locked away when the weather is going to be 25-26° in some areas of the country.

Holohan knows in his head the game is up.

Surely, with the fantastic weather, people will be meeting outdoors rather than indoors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

What is it with this thread's determination to present anecdotal evidence as fact?

Do you think that the more you say "the lockdown is over", the more likely it'll become true?

Ah right ill go off what polls say instead of what I see with my own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

uli84 wrote: »
    Good God, im so scarred what nonsense they will come up with when it comes to schools re-opening

When i hear the word “roadmap” I know it’ll be no good, making decisions so much ahead will probably result in similar crap like Leaving Certs

As someone stated already when asked.

What’s the best way to get kids back to school in September ?

The answer that was given was - It’s simple open the doors and let them in.

Maybe if that logic was applied to more things we would be better served than creating obstacles around everything.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Surely, with the fantastic weather, people will be meeting outdoors rather than indoors?

I said earlier that some people might enter the house at night perhaps when it starts getting chillier outside. There will be a good amount of parties happening this weekend for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

To those who replied to me earlier, I know it's frustrating.

Let's see how opening things up in other countries works regarding spikes and so on. THEN go for it. We are fortunate to be in a position to see how it works out elsewhere.

I'm no killjoy. At all.

I can understand where the frustration is coming from. Harris said at the start of this that they were "mindful" people would only tolerate these severe restrictions for a short period of time. That was 2.5 months ago and all we hear on the daily briefings are "the numbers are not where we would like them to be". That is not good enough anymore.

We need to get back to a level of normality now for the simple reason that it's not healthy to live under this type of system for long periods of time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

My thoughts exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

JRant wrote: »
    I can understand where the frustration is coming from. Harris said at the start of this that they were "mindful" people would only tolerate these severe restrictions for a short period of time. That was 2.5 months ago and all we hear on the daily briefings are "the numbers are not where we would like them to be". That is not good enough anymore.

We need to get back to a level of normality now for the simple reason that it's not healthy to live under this type of system for long periods of time.

It isnt. Thankfully FF are getting active now and are disputing these nonsense restrictions like 5km 20km and 2 metre social distancing rule.

It would be very surprising if theres no pro activeness in our plan by end of 5th of June. Serious political pressure is mounting

fin12 wrote: »
    No the nearest beach to me is like 45 mins drive.

Stay within your 5km like you are supposed to.

Ah right ill go off what polls say instead of what I see with my own eyes.

You do realise how ridiculous that statement is, right?

Do you really think a sample of people at a local amenity is representative of the whole of Ireland? If anyone was to break the restrictions that's exactly where they'd be!

How many housing estates and apartment blocks have you peered into only to see people sitting at home or in the garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Sad to see another local (to me) business announcing closure.
    I know the topic of hairdressers is ever sensitive around these parts, but this salon owner said she had an engineer assess their premises to see how they could operate with social distancing in place after July 20th.

In order to abide by government guidelines, they would have to reduce their amount of chairs from 10 to 2, meaning they could only ever have 2 staff working at any one time and letting the remainder of the staff go.

In order to break even on her running costs she would have to work an 84 hour week, which isn’t sustainable or practical for her as a single mother.

Very sad to see and probably the first of many. Buildings weren’t designed & business plans weren’t made with social distancing in mind, and quite a lot of them simply won’t be able to operate with these new rules in place. It won’t be worth their while.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    I'll be flying to either Italy or Cyprus next month, they can get my money.

I can even get my haircut while over there

So you're going to spend your money elsewhere to spite the Irish economy? ...or were you going on holiday this year anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JRant wrote: »

Yes I know this. Tail wagging dog comes to mind. Holohan is in charge really because there is no REAL Government anymore, just a collection of Ministers and a lame duck Taoiseach. I get it.

Still, things are opening up re visiting people and places whether they like it or not.

Kinda hard to keep people down forever. I get that. But still... a bit of caution might be warranted to see how things go elsewhere. Just me, and I hope you all enjoy the BH weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cracks starting to appear now

A consultant doctor on the State's Covid-19 Expert Advisory Group (EAG) has said that the two-metre distancing guideline is "paralysing the country" and that students are being "unfairly compromised" by the continued closure of schools.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2020/0528/1143259-two-metre-rule-paralysing-country-expert-group-member/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭prunudo

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Sad to see another local (to me) business announcing closure.
    I know the topic of hairdressers is ever sensitive around these parts, but this salon owner said she had an engineer assess their premises to see how they could operate with social distancing in place after July 20th.

In order to abide by government guidelines, they would have to reduce their amount of chairs from 10 to 2, meaning they could only ever have 2 staff working at any one time and letting the remainder of the staff go.

In order to break even on her running costs she would have to work an 84 hour week, which isn’t sustainable or practical for her as a single mother.

Very sad to see and probably the first of many. Buildings weren’t designed & business plans weren’t made with social distancing in mind, and quite a lot of them simply won’t be able to operate with these new rules in place. It won’t be worth their while.

If you know her, tell her to hold firm. Don't pull the plug yet because the restrictions will be very different in 3 or 4 months time. The engineer can only go off current guidelines.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement