Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Edgar Morgenroth Prof of Economics was actually laughing at Peter Burke FG for insisting on staying within these restrictions ! Morgenroth stated NO other country is as slow as us ! While everyone is in recession now, all other EU countries have been quicker out of the traps than us ........and most of those countries were hit worse by Covid. They will all recover much more quickly . We need to export , that’s what our economy is based on . We can do nothing while these restrictions are in place !

Yup he couldn't contain himself, and burke saying it was better to have the likes of dunnes selling clothes rather than have the clothes shops open so that people wouldn't move around, quickly pointed out to him if theres only 1 choice that's where people will go and surely that's worse and somehow he said it's not. So he'd rather higher numbers congregated in Dunnes than lower numbers spread out across more shops

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

:pac::pac::pac:
    highway-sign.jpg.php?p=&l1=IGNORE+HOLOHAN&l2=ENJOY+THE+WEATHER&l3=IGNORE+THE+FEAR&l4=HAVE+A+GREAT+DAY

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

2. Following this train of thought, then how do we get back to normal? Keep a form of lockdown until the virus dies or a vaccine is announced? The virus won't be eradicated without a very extreme worldwide lockdown for months which won't happen. Also there may not be enough people to test a vaccine on.

It’s such a joke that people even keep harping on about a vaccine for it. 500 people die of the flu every year here and Irish people still don’t get the flu shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Edgar Morgenroth Prof of Economics was actually laughing at Peter Burke FG for insisting on staying within these restrictions ! Morgenroth stated NO other country is as slow as us ! While everyone is in recession now, all other EU countries have been quicker out of the traps than us ........and most of those countries were hit worse by Covid. They will all recover much more quickly . We need to export , that’s what our economy is based on . We can do nothing while these restrictions are in place !

This is why there should be experts like Prof. Morgenroth in the expert group helping to shape decisions on reopening the country out of this Lockdown.

Instead we have the sunbathing Doctor and sleepy Simon at the helm... Who in 12 months time when those of us lucky enough to have a job will be paying higher income tax, USC etc. will still be getting the €100k a year TDs wage and a gold plated pension for life...

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I think the government were confused on what the delay stage meant, groundhog day will be the next stage.

• Advertisement

Yup he couldn't contain himself, and burke saying it was better to have the likes of dunnes selling clothes rather than have the clothes shops open so that people wouldn't move around, quickly pointed out to him if theres only 1 choice that's where people will go and surely that's worse and somehow he said it's not. So he'd rather higher numbers congregated in Dunnes than lower numbers spread out across more shops

Yep I’ve said this all along. I don’t believe Woodies , Homebase or garden centres should have closed. They only created a huge surge when they opened......as will IKEA when it opens , it’s inevitable . Plus all along those stores were easily able to create distance .

Peter Burke is a joke , saying it’s better to have everyone shopping Dunnes as that way they’re not moving about ? That makes so much sense , if only I’d known ! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Penfailed wrote: »
    So you're going to spend your money elsewhere to spite the Irish economy? ...or were you going on holiday this year anyway?

Ah Karen, you're just so fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    This two meter bull****. I'll give people as wide a birth as reasonably possible. If its down to one meter officially, I'll still give as wide a birth as reasonably possible! Its just common sense! Do the public here want the government to sing them to sleep and wipe their arse too? Wtf! This uber nanny state from government and a lot of our fellow sheep obviously want it, is disgusting!

Sure a lot of our comrades think the government should house them, give them money and basically babysit them form cradle to death.

All egged on by our representatives.

Nothing surprises me anymore in this country.

Take take, selfish, blame the government for how their lives turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Phase 2 is just phase 1 with a few twinkly lights thrown around it. Phases 3, 4 and 5 are what we need to be discussing and moving towards right now. That’s when things actually get moving in the country again. Ridiculous to say we aren’t ready to move to stage 2. We’re pretty much already in stage 2 and have been for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Curious, was reading in BBC today that 49% of Germans didn't want the Bundesliga to restart so soon ....
    All players and staff are being tested and there is no fans at the matches... I don't see the problem starting it slowly like this.

Separately a colleague told me today it's too soon to see people back out on the streets - my question is to people like this - when should football leagues restart ? when should people go out ?

Because if they think now is too soon, then they aren't going to think August is OK, or September ..... in fact no day till there is vaccine and widely distributed one at that - and that could be 2/3 years away, perhaps longer.

So do these people really think that there should be a lockdown for the next 2 years ? what do they think of the economy, mental health ... etc ?

Don't they see there is other strategies out of this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

You remember how head wrecking the last recession was. I dont think I am alone in thinking that voluntarily destroying the economy and destroying businesses, jobs, relationships, mental health for many, is depraved?!!!!

All for this mickey mouse virus. If it wasnt for their incompetence with nursing homes and closing borders , we would be in a far better position if hey hadn't ballsed up the start. Slow to react at the start and now slow to react now that it's proven to be a storm in a teacup!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yep I’ve said this all along. I don’t believe Woodies , Homebase or garden centres should have closed. They only created a huge surge when they opened......as will IKEA when it opens , it’s inevitable . Plus all along those stores were easily able to create distance .
    Peter Burke is a joke , saying it’s better to have everyone shopping Dunnes as that way they’re not moving about ? That makes so much sense , if only I’d known ! :D:D:D

FG must of had no one else to send, Burke just towed the political line and the Professor just sat there trying to contain his amusement at the fact that the caretaker government isn't making any progress on reopening the economy... We've everyone packed into what little retail there is open instead of opening everything and trying to make the recession shorter...

Plenty of multinationals can't avail of the 85% wage top up, and many small businesses can't get the start up grant...

Time to open up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You remember how head wrecking the lady recession was. I dont thi k I am alone in thinking that voluntarily destroying the economy and destroying businesses, jobs, relationships, mental health for many, is depraved?!!!!

All for this mickey mouse virus. If it wasnt fir their incompetence with nursing homes and closing borders , we would be in a far better of they hadn't balled up the start. Slow to react at the start and now slow to react now that it's proven to be a storm in a teacup!

Have you set this memo to all the countries in the world who went into lockdown over this mickey mouse virus?

I wish the masses of businesses closed, would just open their doors and implement whatever measures they deem necessary. .

• Registered Users Posts: 38,355 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Phase 2 is just phase 1 with a few twinkly lights thrown around it. Phases 3, 4 and 5 are what we need to be discussing and moving towards right now. That’s when things actually get moving in the country again. Ridiculous to say we aren’t ready to move to stage 2. We’re pretty much already in stage 2 and have been for weeks

We "hope too" move to phase 2 as scheduled according to Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Where can we see stats of yearly deaths ? per country, I would love to see Italy , Spain compared to last year ... now Im not saying there would be no change, but I wonder when this passes will death rate driop slightly ....

Have you set this memo to all the countries in the world who went into lockdown over this mickey mouse virus?

For a huge number of the population it is a Mickey mouse virus. People voluntarily go on nights on the leash every weekend and feel like death for days after. You thi k in going to worry about catching a virus so horrendous, that many dont even know they have had it ? Spare me dont get me wrong, I wouldn't want fo pass it onto anyone. But I realise the idiotic implications of disregarding everything else for this SINGLE issue ...

Norway is reopening schools with one meter social distancing. Why dont the morons herevm just see how far better run and far more intelligent people solve problems in other countries? They can still claim their criminal pay and pensions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Where can we see stats of yearly deaths ? per country, I would love to see Italy , Spain compared to last year ... now Im not saying there would be no change, but I wonder when this passes will death rate driop slightly ....

https://www.euromomo.eu/

And yes you will see the rates drop, as all the fatalities for the year have been front loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If they reported the amount of people diagnosed with various cancers, heart disease etc or the amount of people suffering stokes every day the way they report covid-19 cases, no one would ever get up out of bed again.
    Same goes for those who pass away, if we included the numbers of people who died each day from other causes in our daily news bulletin there would be such a fear that no one would ever want to ever leave the house again.

It’s just pure and utter scaremongering now. Coronavirus isn’t the only thing that you can suffer from or die of.

• Advertisement

I wish the masses of businesses closed, would just open their doors and implement whatever measures they deem necessary. .

Yeah I wonder what would happen if pubs, coffee shops and restaurants all opened with their new restrictions and spaced out tables etc. same with hairdressers . Just those who felt safe to do so or wanted to. Likewise home stores and clothes stores. What exactly would happen ? Would the Govt order Gardai to come in and physically shut them down ? Would there be enough Gardai to do that .

I’d certainly support any business that took the bull by the horns and restarted anyway . If opticians are open why aren’t hairdressers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report just released and it's all good news.

As of 18:30 there were 45 confirmed covid cases in ICU, down from 48 yesterday and no ICU deaths recorded between 10am yesteday and 10am today. 30 on ventilators down from 32.

As of 8pm there were 193 confirmed cases in acute hospitals down from 233, a drop of 40 in 24hrs.

8 cases diagnosed in hosptial settings in the last 24hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Yeah I wonder what would happen if pubs, coffee shops and restaurants all opened with their new restrictions and spaced out tables etc. same with hairdressers . Just those who felt safe to do so or wanted to. Likewise home stores and clothes stores. What exactly would happen ? Would the Govt order Gardai to come in and physically shut them down ? Would there be enough Gardai to do that .

I’d certainly support any business that took the bull by the horns and restarted anyway . If opticians are open why aren’t hairdressers ?

A café in Cork put chairs outside their premises 2m apart, no tables or anything just single socially distanced chairs so that their patrons could sit outside to eat their sandwiches and drink their coffee and the Gardaí showed up today to tell them to remove them or they’d shut them down.

I’m going to try to go in for a coffee tomorrow if I’m passing to support them, at least they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Penfailed

JL555 wrote: »
    Ah Karen, you're just so fantastic.

Eh? Care to explain this ^^^?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

SusieBlue wrote: »
    A café in Cork put chairs outside their premises 2m apart, no tables or anything just single socially distanced chairs so that their patrons could sit outside to eat their sandwiches and drink their coffee and the Gardaí showed up today to tell them to remove them or they’d shut them down.

I’m going to try to go in for a coffee tomorrow if I’m passing to support them, at least they tried.

Isn't it just as well we have no real crime to be keeping the Garda busy with. That's another real success story. What sort of absolute jobsworth goes in to a cafe and does that?

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

You say we are not there yet....Where is there?

You can be guaranteed we are moving to the next phase....europe eating out and going back to school while we languish within 5km? Not happening.

Simon Harris says that. I'd say that he can shove it up his stupid ass :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

As of 18:30 there were 45 confirmed covid cases in ICU, down from 48 yesterday and no ICU deaths recorded between 10am yesteday and 10am today. 30 on ventilators down from 32.

As of 8pm there were 193 confirmed cases in acute hospitals down from 233, a drop of 40 in 24hrs.

I wonder how many likes that post will get, it won’t be from the lockdown merchants anyway ;)

I do think more and more politicians, economists and business owners and industry leaders are shouting for quicker easing of restrictions.

Jim O Callaghan FF on Ivan Yates Tonight Show in a few minutes calling on Govt to ease restrictions sooner . Keep up the pressure !

Ivan Yates is the biggest sh!t stirrer on this Island.
    Wouldn't value anything coming out of his mouth.

Every TD is currently lobbying at the moment for their causes and have now automagically become health experts.

The fact that we are having these discussions on reducing the restrictions, is a direct result of them being in place in the first hand, I dread to think of the alternative.
    We need to be slow in resuming what we know as normal, to give our resources the ability to react to any increase of infection.

Yes, some of us are bored, some of us want to be beamed up from our family, etc, etc, but we are still here.

My father is currently in the Limerick Regional for just over 7 weeks now, the last time I saw him was pushing him on the trolley up onto the ambulance and I didn't think he would make it over.
    Thankfully he is a lot better now, and we are expecting home soon.

We should not forget that this is a pandemic and it will always be difficult to balance everyone's viewpoint in such a challenging time.

Have a great weekend all.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If they reported the amount of people diagnosed with various cancers, heart disease etc or the amount of people suffering stokes every day the way they report covid-19 cases, no one would ever get up out of bed again.
    Same goes for those who pass away, if we included the numbers of people who died each day from other causes in our daily news bulletin there would be such a fear that no one would ever want to ever leave the house again.

It’s just pure and utter scaremongering now. Coronavirus isn’t the only thing that you can suffer from or die of.

But that's just the thing, they do report them, not everyday but take smoking for example 1000s die every year in Ireland due to smoking related issues. Heart disease, anyone who's not looking after their health, not exercising, eating crap food and of a certain age know that they're playing with fire, but still people do it. It's because it's not happening today, it's something that might happen in the future, but one day will be today and that's it: Death.

Besides the few lockdown crazies still around, many people have become weary of the restrictions, we know it, because we see it all around us, it's fact, seeing really is believing, not merely anecdotal as one poster said earlier.

The 'leaders' are running out of excuses, a different phased approach is needed to get back to reality. We have lives to live and we need to live them, our kids need to play with each other and they need to get educated.
    You know what my two young boys think? The reason why the schools are closed and that children are not allowed into half the places especially playgrounds, is that adults think that kids are the one who spread the virus at the beginning and now they're being punished by not being allowed go anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We must getting close to a #FifthWave now! :pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement