Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dead right, this is so low now that its virtually gone, open up the country, over 7000 prople die of cancer each year let alone other illnesses etc, yes theres risks from covid but also risks out driving a car, people are blinded by the scaremongering by our government

Cancer and car crashes aren't highly infectious.

remove all restrictions? it's far too premature. You'd think the number of deaths in the UK would make people be more cautious.. but nah.. it'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cancer and car crashes aren't highly infectious.

Well I think it's obvious we're going to see a spike in cancer (and other non-corona medical) deaths in the coming year(s) due to the halt of screenings. I hope it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

wench wrote: »
    South Korea, the poster child for handling this pandemic well, may have to reimpose restrictions as cases increase.

They lifted their restrictions on the 6th of May, and didn't even make it to the end of the month before a fresh wave hit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/28/south-korea-faces-return-to-coronavirus-restrictions-after-spike-in-new-cases

79 new cases in a country of 51 million people, mostly related to clusters in a distribution centre where they were not following guidelines to wear masks, and sick employees were turning up to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Augeo wrote: »
    Once you weren't within 2m of someone for 15 mins you were grand so I don't see much wrong with it tbh.

It's not about passing people, it's about folk overcrowding at destinations. The km restrictions have largely been successful at that.
    The days of km restrictions are now numbered so onwards and upwards.

Not many people go to Glendalough to sit beside people for 15 minutes though. 20km and non essential until 20th July according to the plan. We hope they will change it but as it stands they are still saying they hope we might be allowed go to Phase 2 if we're lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

i wonder what a venn diagram of people who are afraid of lifting restrictions and people who have been able to work from home with very little ill effect on their economic future looks like. my guess is that its almost a circle.

It is almost certain that everyone's outlook on this situation is coloured in some way by their personal circumstances, whatever their opinion on the restrictions. This is human nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

All evidence from South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Who bother opening them for a month?

It's more that there's talk of not opening them in September that irks me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

No, I'm not, so the rest of your post is irrelevant.

Yeah of course you will ignore the rest of my post as it doesn’t fit your narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Dead right, this is so low now that its virtually gone, open up the country, over 7000 prople die of cancer each year let alone other illnesses etc, yes theres risks from covid but also risks out driving a car, people are blinded by the scaremongering by our government

Because you can spread cancer through a sneeze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

So basically, the same as it is right now, only with the pubs open and you have to wear a mask?

How do you drink wearing a mask?

Straw?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If they reported the amount of people diagnosed with various cancers, heart disease etc or the amount of people suffering stokes every day the way they report covid-19 cases, no one would ever get up out of bed again.
    Same goes for those who pass away, if we included the numbers of people who died each day from other causes in our daily news bulletin there would be such a fear that no one would ever want to ever leave the house again.

It’s just pure and utter scaremongering now. Coronavirus isn’t the only thing that you can suffer from or die of.

I totally agree with you.

I think the problem is we have a health minister who was about to lose a vote of no confidence before the general election. Now he is being far too cautious given he is afraid for his own job DESPITE in my opinion having done a really bad job at the start of this whole virus crisis, and is now trying to look in control.
    Our death figures are not good compared to many similar sized nations even if one wanted to argue about how countries report.

The average age for a person to die from this is 80 years of age. Maybe everyone under 60 should have been allowed to get on with their lives and those who live or look after the elderly should have been the ones in a lockdown. What is happening at present is a disaster for jobs, mental health, general health and its no way to live.

I had to stop watching all the coverage on this virus early on as it was not good. I think the media assisted in spreading fear. A fear a high percentage still are in going by polls and the numbers who still want to keep the 2 metre distance.

We have always lived with risk, but now it is like the people in charge have forgotten this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

I'm not so sure you can brush this one of. For the past 10 or 11 weeks, the closest I've been to any human being (aside from my wife) are the staff in my local supermarkets. This must be the same for the majority of people. Surely given the numbers, we should be seeing a spike in staff there? If not, then ok semi-lockdown procedures are good let's apply it to all stores. I don't see how I'm less at risk buying gardening stuff in Lidl versus buying in Woodies, or my local Lidl is selling some clothes too, what's the difference between there and Pennies?

Ok - really quickly because this seems like a genuine question.
    The more people you meet and the more interactions and contacts you have, the more chance of encountering someone with COVID. If you're just going to the supermarket (and the other people there are too) then you and they have fewer contacts and the risk is lower.

As the prevalence of the virus in the community reduces, then more interactions are possible while retaining a similar risk (since risk is at a very basic level prevalence x interactions so if one goes down the other can go up). So as we progress and get the virus under control we can meet engage more with one another (instead of one supermarket visit every few days, going to a workplace, coffee shop and another shop all in a single day, every day) and engage more closely - close enough to have one's hair cut.

But having multiple interactions is going to lead to a rise, so we need to get the prevalence well down first to compensate.

Now I am done, and out to the sunshine. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well I think it's obvious we're going to see a spike in cancer (and other non-corona medical) deaths in the coming year(s) due to the halt of screenings. I hope it's worth it.

That's a different argument though.

I don't understand why they seem to have unilaterally shut down all screening, and hope that they find a way to get that going again very soon.

That's not the same as "open everything up again right now".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,045 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Harpon wrote: »
    Yeah of course you will ignore the rest of my post as it doesn’t fit your narrative

Poster said they imagine the number was small. I merely said I wasn't commenting on imaginary numbers. Not commenting doesn't mean dismissing. I literally said I wasn't commenting, and I didn't.

Whatever your narrative reads into that is entirely your problem. Personally, I'm not one for black and white arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It really is a cowardly and shambolic sh;tshow at the moment.

Holahan can parrot his line about only advising. Varadkar can claim he's acting based on the advice. Both of them can neatly sidestep taking any responsibility for the devastation that's being wrought on the country.

We have 160 of the most well-remunerated politicians in the world 'representing' us and not a single leader among them.

The media are delighted with all the clicks they are getting and have pumped out a constant stream of fear-mongering from day 1.

We will look back on these days in the coming years. The billions of debt added to our children's and grand-kids futures, the hundreds of thousands of lost jobs.

The loss of lives through reduced health spending in the coming years will dwarf anything seen by Covid.

And all over a virus that represented a near-negligible threat for the working population. A virus whose median age of fatalities is higher than the average life-expectancy FFS!

The future inquests and tribunals into this will be galling to watch, no doubt presided over by the same bunch of cowardly fcukwits that currently are hiding away from making any decisions.

Exactly how I feel. And our most well remunerated politicians are about to award themselves yet another pay rise, while they throw us to the wolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Who bother opening them for a month?

A month is a long time in education terms when kids are going to be out of school for 6 months total, even going back for two weeks at the best time of year for decent weather (outdoor classes/activities an option) would enable the kids to reconnect with the education system and finish the year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭showpony1

Myself and my house mate went to Supervalu yesterday about 6pm. There was no queue as we were walking towards the door so we weren't really paying attention (looking at phones etc) but the "doorman" stopped a woman right in front of us who we didn't notice so kept walking as if we were just following behind her into the shop. She was about 30 or so same age was us.

But what was happening was she had been stopped and kept inching forward to stay the full 2m away from us but as we weren't looking we kept also moving - she turned around with a look of utter disgust/contempt and said FFS.

This is a person with zero chance of getting the virus on a nice summer evening from two lads who don't have the virus - it seems difficult to see a flip switching on this mindset now ingrained in a lot of people - sad to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Trust fg with the economy. Lol! These low lives were obliterated during the election, come the next one, I hope it ends varadkars, harris, Donohue political careers ! There needs to be retribution for this if none are prepared to make decisions, can I ask what the fcuk they are doing in government?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The government are being completely gutless and i'm really ashamed to be Irish at the moment. sitting back waiting to see what happens in other countries, not the kind of people I want running the country.

• Advertisement

showpony1 wrote: »
    Myself and my house mate went to Supervalu yesterday about 6pm. There was no queue as we were walking towards the door so we weren't really paying attention (looking at phones etc) ..........

This is a person with zero chance of getting the virus on a nice summer evening from two lads who don't have the virus - it seems difficult to see a flip switching on this mindset now ingrained in a lot of people - sad to see.

How do you know you don't have it, or how does she know you don't have it?
    Would you not just watch where you're going?
    Also, shopping is meant to be a solo thing these days, are either yourself or your housemate unable to shop alone?

Varadkar should put parents mind at ease, schools back in September end of . Let the highly remunerated morons who say it can be done, despite other properly run countries doing it , sort out the logistics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,365 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Varadkar should put parents mind at ease, schools back in September end of . Let the highly remunerated morons who say it can be done, despite other properly run countries doing it , sort out the logistics!

Even if he said the schools were going back in september, why would anyone believe him? He said the leaving cert was definitely going ahead about a month ago.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The government are being completely gutless and i'm really ashamed to be Irish at the moment. sitting back waiting to see what happens in other countries, not the kind of people I want running the country.
    I knew this was going to happen at the start of this, this country is nothing if not predictable. Spineless morons, looking for consensus from everyone. Get ready for loads of reports that will never be acted on...

I wouldn't be surprised if the virus vanished overnight and the scum kept us in lockdown, in case it may reappear at some point in the future

How do you know you don't have it, or how does she know you don't have it?
    Would you not just watch where you're going?
    Also, shopping is meant to be a solo thing these days, are either yourself or your housemate unable to shop alone?

It was an accident as she was stopped right in front of us as we were walking in. I am sure you've 100% watched where you are going every second in your entire life.

The chances of her getting Corona there were zero but she flipped - shows the fear in people now & how difficult it will be to go back to to the way things were. this is something that kills 80 year olds.

so i can't go to shop with my house mate with whom i'm constantly in close proximity nearly all day when he is driving us there? its very sad to see this attitude from people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

showpony1 wrote: »
    Myself and my house mate went to Supervalu yesterday about 6pm. There was no queue as we were walking towards the door so we weren't really paying attention (looking at phones etc) but the "doorman" stopped a woman right in front of us who we didn't notice so kept walking as if we were just following behind her into the shop. She was about 30 or so same age was us.

But what was happening was she had been stopped and kept inching forward to stay the full 2m away from us but as we weren't looking we kept also moving - she turned around with a look of utter disgust/contempt and said FFS.

It's such a small thing to just follow a basic guideline, all you need is a tiny amount of concerntration. I get your pov but from the womans pov we're being told to stay 2m away and you're being oblivious in social situation is on you. They'll hopefully reduce to 1.5 or 1m inline with updated experience around the world and science backing it up, I don't see how half the businesses will survive without it but until then, just follow the guideline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I knew this was going to happen at the start of this, this country is nothing if not predictable. Spineless morons, looking for consensus from everyone. Get ready for loads of reports that will never be acted on...

I wouldn't be surprised if the virus vanished overnight and the scum kept us in lockdown, in case it may reappear at some point in the future

Was a major mistake to shut down. The Garda powers doubly so. We are not a nation renowned for logical rational thought or analysis so it was was always going to be next to impossible to get running again. I think though it’ll never happen again so it’s been such an unmitigated disaster, business won’t agree.
    The only thing that ever forced this countries hand is money. That’s running out fast and Donohoe is so spectacularly useless and clueless on economic affairs I can see us running into quick sand very very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Because it's not possible for him to say that and be honest. If corona is still active - which it more than likley will be in some unpredictable form - he's either going to seen as a reckless idiot putting lives at risk or he's a liar who went back on his word.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Because it's not possible for him to say that and be honest. If corona is still active, he's either going to seen as a reckless idiot putting lives at risk or his a liar who went back on his word.

And no one has any way of knowing how and if corona wil lstill be active in Spetmber or what it'll be doing.

But yet schools are back everywhere else with “active virus”...

• Advertisement

ronano wrote: »
    It's such a small thing to just follow a basic guideline, all you need is a tiny amount of concerntration. I get your pov but from the womans pov we're being told to stay 2m away and you're being oblivious in social situation is on you. They'll hopefully reduce to 1.5 or 1m inline with updated experience around the world and science backing it up, I don't see how half the businesses will survive without it but until then, just follow the guideline?

what i described was one time taking my eye off the ball as it looked like no queue.
    accidents happen - i admire your ability stay 2m at all times for 3 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement