Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I just took a look at the gov.ie roadmap. As far as I can see these type of stores or sections of stores are not legally allowed to reopen before 18th May and any that are already open now are flouting the law and could be shut down again. It`s all about enforcement I guess.

It's about that great rarity these days - common sense. If they are open for food what difference does it make if they sell other products? No different to Lidl or Aldi doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

There's a little corner shop near me that sells essentials like bread and milk. It's attached to a massive hardware store. If you need something from the hardware place, even though the front door is locked, you'll get it.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People need clothes.

I doubt many people do. Would be nice if this crisis maybe thought us to skip fast fashion and maybe make do with what we have or buy 2nd hand, the clothing industry is one of the biggest polluters on the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Discodog wrote: »
    It's about that great rarity these days - common sense. If they are open for food what difference does it make if they sell other products? No different to Lidl or Aldi doing it.

Should the likes of Lidl or Aldi be legally allowed to sell non food products under the current restrictions even if they are in reality doing so? It`s a grey area really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I doubt many people do. Would be nice if this crisis maybe thought us to skip fast fashion and maybe make do with what we have or buy 2nd hand, the clothing industry is one of the biggest polluters on the planet.

I don’t buy fast fashion and usually wear out my clothes. I repair shoes etc. At this stage I need some essentials - do I just buy on amazon to be delivered from somewhere else. Are second hand stores open - there are a few things which no longer fit that I would like to donate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The vast majority of Europe is relaxing restrictions a lot faster and sooner than Ireland. So either the virus cases in Ireland a lot worse than elsewhere in Europe - and if so someone needs to be held accountable - or if this is an overly strict measure someone else must be held accountable for the economic disaster that stems from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I have found a flaw in your grand solution. What if people have sewing machines and material in their homes and can make their own clothes? In that case they would not be forced to stay at home.;)

Always thinking negatively :) :pac: !!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The_Brood wrote: »
    The vast majority of Europe is relaxing restrictions a lot faster and sooner than Ireland. So either the virus cases in Ireland a lot worse than elsewhere in Europe - and if so someone needs to be held accountable - or if this is an overly strict measure someone else must be held accountable for the economic disaster that stems from it.

For me it is the lack of transparency and the feeling that things are not under control. When you have Fintan O’Toole and Dan O’Brien raising concerns then there is an issue.

It some ways it is too calm in respect to the impending economic disaster - if something has to be put in place to help ease restrictions then it should happen and the politicians should be screaming for it even if it means resources being re allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

For me it is the lack of transparency and the feeling that things are not under control. When you have Fintan O’Toole and Dan O’Brien raising concerns then there is an issue.

It some ways it is too calm in respect to the impending economic disaster - if something has to be put in place to help ease restrictions then it should happen and the politicians should be screaming for it even if it means resources being re allocated.

Exactly, there are a litany of headlines beeping to my phone today from Irish media sites about the impending economic disaster. I feel like telling the media and government leaking this information to quit it. Stop this lockdown now, it is the wrong approach completely and will leave us an indebted nation crippled for years. The worst is when we re-open the virus will still be here whether it be now or August. We just have to adapt and learn to live with it for the time being. Why would doctors not see the sense in doing this now over the summer when there's little else around, instead of waiting until Autumn when other bugs start to re-appear?
    Unlike the 2008 crash, I will not be accepting tax hikes, pay cuts, general worsening of terms and conditions of employment to bail out the billions of Euro's being needlessly wasted right now by our incompetent government and elected politicians - they have sat on their hands for weeks, bankrupted countless businesses, killing people not getting cancer screening, etc., and it is unforgivable. I hope there's a future enquiry about this - as the parameters for re-opening change by the day and there is currently no justification for these measure in Ireland.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Interesting to see people demanding plans and strategies for a novel coronavirus for which health experts across the entire World health are still researching and publishing new data every couple of days...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Delighted to hear that clothing sections are back open in some places.

My wife is pregnant and we really need to start preparing. Buying some clothes would be great.

Same. And between eating junk on lockdown and being pregnant with a third I’m ballooning pretty fast! I needed bigger T-shirt’s and pants. The Tesco and M&S near me have some clothes sections along with food.

While clothes may not seem essential the longer the shops stay shut the more essential they become. My local kids shoe shop dropped me over shoes after I paid online- my toddler kept complaining her shoes hurt so they were necessary and I’d prefer to buy from my local small shop than online, many of which come from the UK. Also meant I could swap the ones that didn’t fit within a day because the kids feet couldn’t be measured in store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The_Brood wrote: »

This question has been asked numerous times, with no coherent answer, usually you get a response about killing people and did you not see Italy or the stock Crocodile Dundee answer when someone pulls a knife on him in the movie “that’s not a knife, this is a real knife”

“That’s not a lockdown, now this is a real Lockdown”

Our biggest issue is of course what’s happened in the nursing homes and the numbers associated which is apparently no ones fault, ye know just sh1t happens followed by the next stock answer which is of course “well other countries had issues with nursing homes also” cos apparently that makes it alright.

Our testing turnaround is still pretty woeful which is another issue but apparently no it’s the fault of all these parties and parks as shared by a Sharon someone on Facebook which is the issue.

Oh and the numbers aren’t where they need to be, we don’t actually get told what the numbers are that we are looking at or where they actually need to be but they just aren’t!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I've no issue with the continuation of the "lockdown".
    I do however believe that the length of the continuation is a bit cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I'm surprised that some people I have spoken to believe if
    The lockdown continues that the virus may dissapear! The fear media has really unsettled people and there is no real debate on the restrictions. Virus will be here for the foreseeable future so no point kicking the can down the road indefinitely, learn to live with it, protect the vulnerable and protect the economy as much as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

This Dunnes/Tesco clothes thing must vary around the country, the clothes sections of both stores where I am were never closed bar a short time last week I believe when Tesco announced a sale in clothes and too many customers or so I heard, I was not there that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Tenger wrote: »
    I've no issue with the continuation of the "lockdown".
    I do however believe that the length of the continuation is a bit cautious.

Some posters here have been already told that half of their company's workforce will be let go. I'd say they strongly disagree with continuation of the lockdown.

It seems like regardless if you have a job currently or not, we are all going to suffer greatly in a matter of months.

"
    The next government will have to consider tax hikes and spending cuts to deliver an economic recovery, the State's budget watchdog has warned.

With unemployment close to 30pc and the cost of the State's emergency measures now at over €13bn and rising, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and the Greens are this weekend being told to reconsider the "very risky" proposal to keep the pension age at 66, as well as look at increases in property and inheritance taxes in programme for government talks."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/reality-bites-watchdog-warns-on-tax-hikes-and-pension-age-as-recession-kicks-in-39194085.html

PS ironically they ll push pension age probably to 68 or 70, talk about taking care of the elderly.

Talk about disgraceful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Some posters here have been already told that half of their company's workforce will be let go. I'd say they strongly disagree with continuation of the lockdown.

It seems like regardless if you have a job currently or not, we are all going to suffer greatly in a matter of months.

"
    The next government will have to consider tax hikes and spending cuts to deliver an economic recovery, the State's budget watchdog has warned.

With unemployment close to 30pc and the cost of the State's emergency measures now at over €13bn and rising, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael and the Greens are this weekend being told to reconsider the "very risky" proposal to keep the pension age at 66, as well as look at increases in property and inheritance taxes in programme for government talks."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/reality-bites-watchdog-warns-on-tax-hikes-and-pension-age-as-recession-kicks-in-39194085.html

PS ironically they ll push pension age probably to 68 or 70, talk about taking care of the elderly.

Talk about disgraceful.

If construction, other outdoor workers, garden centres, hardware shops and the other shops open on the 18th that will have a significant impact on the unemployment figures

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Stheno wrote: »
    If construction, other outdoor workers, garden centres, hardware shops and the other shops open on the 18th that will have a significant impact on the unemployment figures

Agreed.

It does not seem like it will have any impact on retirement age increasing and or higher income tax/ USC in next budget though as I am sure chair of fiscal advisory knew about 5 phase plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Have to consider that reopening stuff before consumer confidence is back could be the death of many places anyway. I wouldn't be rushing into a restaurant, cinema or bar for example ATM and I'd imagine lots of others are similar.

Without the government support that the 350 is providing, a lot of those people could be out of a job if reopen before enough people are comfortable going back.

And anyone relying on tourism or sport crowds reopening won't be getting back to normal anyway. About as much chance of me sleeping with a supermodel as there is of tourism or sport going back to normal anytime soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Construction will be slow starting

The factories that supply stuff to them not opening on the 18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I’d be very anti-lockdown, open-the-country-up minded, but I really am totally against there being no restrictions on people entering the country from overseas. Now because of our lax restrictions, Ireland is being recommended to the UK people as a place to travel to!

This really cannot continue! It’s a slap in the face to us Irish citizens who have to wait until 20th July to travel more than 20km ffs!!

Tony said as we start easing restrictions, they will look at bringing in restrictions for overseas travel, however us even starting to ease restrictions could be hampered by people coming from hotspots and bringing the virus over here with them, as restrictions will not be eased unless Tony is happy with the numbers. Surely the time to introduce restrictions is now, and the only beneficial one I can see is mandatory 14 day state quarantine (excluding essential workers).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Loozer wrote: »
    Construction will be slow starting

The factories that supply stuff to them not opening on the 18th

Where did you read that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I’d be very anti-lockdown, open-the-country-up minded, but I really am totally against there being no restrictions on people entering the country from overseas. Now because of our lax restrictions, Ireland is being recommended to the UK people as a place to travel to!

This really cannot continue! It’s a slap in the face to us Irish citizens who have to wait until 20th July to travel more than 20km ffs!!

Tony said as we start easing restrictions, they will look at bringing in restrictions for overseas travel, however us even starting to ease restrictions could be hampered by people coming from hotspots and bring the virus over here with them, as restrictions will not be eased unless Tony is happy with the numbers. Surely the time to introduce restrictions is now, and the only beneficial one I can see is mandatory 14 day state quarantine (excluding essential workers).

For how long though? Restrictions on travel into and out of Ireland will only work if other countries follow suit and its for a specified time. We need to have a European wide approach to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Stheno wrote: »
    Where did you read that?

Family work in them supplying to sites

Factories not opening afaik on 18th

For how long though? Restrictions on travel into and out of Ireland will only work if other countries follow suit and its for a specified time. We need to have a European wide approach to this.

At least until after September. We won’t know the full effects of having schools reopen until then, without adding unrestricted international travel into the mix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

At least until after September. We won’t know the full effects of having schools reopen until then, without adding unrestricted international travel into the mix

Even if other countries open up travel?

Tony said as we start easing restrictions, they will look at bringing in restrictions for overseas travel, however us even starting to ease restrictions could be hampered by people coming from hotspots and bringing the virus over here with them, as restrictions will not be eased unless Tony is happy with the numbers. Surely the time to introduce restrictions is now, and the only beneficial one I can see is mandatory 14 day state quarantine (excluding essential workers).

But there is 14 day mandatory quarantine in Ireland. The same quarantine protocol as exists in almost every other EU country. It just hasn’t been enforced so far, but Leo said on Friday on Newstalk that he would change that.

The difference between Ireland and most EU countries is not in the quarantine rules (acknowledging, for now, that lack of enforcement), but the fact that entry is not restricted to only citizens, residents and essential workers.

But the NI border issue is harder to resolve

Even if other countries open up travel?

Other countries have already started to open up and we haven’t. Do you really feel is ok to open up to tourism when people living here are severely restricted in their day to day lives?

However, I’d be totally ok with opening up on the condition that we have a mandatory 14 day quarantine

Hotels etc are shut until the end of July where would they stay?

• Advertisement

But there is 14 day mandatory quarantine in Ireland. The same quarantine protocol as exists in almost every other EU country. It just hasn’t been enforced so far, but Leo said on Friday on Newstalk that he would change that.

The difference between Ireland and most EU countries is not in the quarantine rules (acknowledging, for now, that lack of enforcement), but the fact that entry is not restricted to only citizens, residents and essential workers.

But the NI border issue is harder to resolve

Apparently the UK will not require Irish people to quarantine if they travel to the UK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement