Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Because your outlook is a month out of date and doesn’t reflect the reality that the country could open tomorrow without any side effects. Let’s play it safe though and keep the economy paralysed for the next 3 months when there is zero evidence to do so

Ah! Now I understand. You can see into the future and have ALL the evidence at your fingertips. Fair play.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Penfailed wrote: »
    Ah! Now I understand. You can see into the future and have ALL the evidence at your fingertips. Fair play.

No I have a realist view given the facts and figures now - you on the other hand don’t if you are still advocating lockdown.

In the minority you say?

I'd suggest all the posters on the thread are decent law abiding citizens.

Wanting to enjoy life a bit is hardly a criminal offence!

Most of the posters are actively condoning and encouraging the breaking of lockdown. Have you missed that?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

funnydoggy wrote: »
    A café in Cork tried that yesterday but the guards came along and told them to pack up their tables and chairs because of COVID guidelines. They emailed the HSE and they said they were just "guidelines" so the tables and chairs were out again today.
    But I totally agree. Streets are for people and the state of some cities at the moment with cars, vans and HGVs strewn all over the place is very upsetting.

HSE "Guidelines" and "Advice" are rigorously enforced by the Gardai...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

*'some' of the public. Most Irish people are compliant by nature. That will continue.

I just came back from a 20km cycle. The amount of cars I met on the road seem to be a lot more than there was before the lockdown. Surely not all shopping this late? I think that “some “ word maybe subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Multipass wrote: »
    I saw a cafe open today - tables outside filled with happy people. Great to see! The city centre cafes should take over the streets and spread tables out in the sunshine.

There is a small cafe in Smithfield doing this and it's right across the road from the Circuit Family Court.

I passed by it the other day and it was full of Solicitors sitting down for a coffee. I say fair play to the cafe..the tables were well spaced out and it's outdoors so it's literally the same as people sitting in a park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

NotMOL wrote: »
    There is a small cafe in Smithfield doing this and it's right across the road from the Circuit Family Court.

I passed by it the other day and it was full of Solicitors sitting down for a coffee. I say fair play to the cafe..the tables were well spaced out and it's outdoors so it's literally the same as people sitting in a park!

Not sure is it different per council but pretty sure in Cork, businesses need insurance for outdoor seating, otherwise it falls on Council to pick up anything for damages

xtal191 wrote: »

I think this is how ridiculous it’s going to be lol

https://youtu.be/Xj1nFjNaOgw

South Korea has closed their schools again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Micky 32 wrote: »

Jesus I’d rather stay home than go to a pub like that- why would you bother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I can understand the frustration of waiting for lift off. But seriously what is the problem with waiting now?

Do you think all other illnesses, both physical and mental, are also waiting for Covid-19 to be eradicated? People need treatment and diagnosis of all sorts of other issues too, Covid-19 isn't the only show in town. God knows how many people will die due to late diagnosis or delayed treatment due to the prolonged lockdown and the backlogs it is creating on top of the existing backlog.

How about all the businesses going under and the jobs being lost with them, will they wait too? Revenue is dropping off a cliff while the social welfare bill is growing, where will the cuts be to pay for it? We need to save what we can of the summer and give people some confidence to get out and spend.

Many of our neighbours in Europe has been open two weeks now and no sign of the fabled second wave. The virus isn't going to behave differently here, it isn't lying in wait for Ireland but ignoring Denmark/Austria/Switzerland. Waiting for the sake of waiting is idiotic, it is doing more damage for no benefit.

I just came back from a 20km cycle. The amount of cars I met on the road seem to be a lot more than there was before the lockdown. Surely not all shopping this late? I think that “some “ word maybe subjective.

More cars than before the lockdown? Really? I've access to the traffic stats in the north. Traffic volumes are at 60% of the normal volume on A-routes and 70% on the motorway network. You think traffic is more than 100% of normal volumes? Nah. I don't believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

RobitTV wrote: »
    Dr Tony Holohan says he is ‘not surprised’ that Ryanair's Michael O’Leary has a concern about quarantine measures for people arriving in Ireland. The CMO says he believes normal airline travel will not return ‘in the near term’.

See you in court Holohan. O'Leary isn't going to back down.

O'Leary is too pragmatic to take such a case. He's just flying the proverbial kite
    Only those 2 other eejits thatcan't be named , would try to take a case like that in the beginning , middle or end of a worldwide pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭growleaves

More cars than before the lockdown? Really? I've access to the traffic stats in the north. Traffic volumes are at 60% of the normal volume on A-routes and 70% on the motorway network. You think traffic is more than 100% of normal volumes? Nah. I don't believe you.

Well it is a bank holiday weekend.

Though maybe it's just being more conscious of cars on the road.

growleaves wrote: »
    Well it is a bank holiday weekend.

Though maybe it's just being more conscious of cars on the road.

I'd say that's it alright. There's a definite increase in traffic this past couple of weeks. There's a lot of people involved in the construction industry that have gone back to work too to be fair.

na1 wrote: »
    I wonder if it is related to the private hospitals getting free money from the state for not opening to general patient treatments?
    Basically we pay budget money to hospital owners to stay close, and the longer they stay closed the more money they get for doing nothing.

What are you saying ? Conspiracy by medical experts?
    You do realise the NPHET are all PUBLIC health medics and scientists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

A café in Cork tried that yesterday but the guards came along and told them to pack up their tables and chairs because of COVID guidelines. They emailed the HSE and they said they were just "guidelines" so the tables and chairs were out again today.

But I totally agree. Streets are for people and the state of some cities at the moment with cars, vans and HGVs strewn all over the place is very upsetting.

In the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I doubt he/she was cycling on a motorway or A-route or the Irish equivalent. I wouldn't be surprised at an increase in traffic on R and L roads, particularly leading to places where people might like to spend a few hours on a sunny day after sitting at home for two months, only leaving the house to go shopping. You are also less likely to meet Gardai on R and L roads so they probably attract traffic which would otherwise take main routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And museums and restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Goldengirl wrote: »
    O'Leary is too pragmatic to take such a case. He's just flying the proverbial kite
    Only those 2 other eejits thatcan't be named , would try to take a case like that in the beginning , middle or end of a worldwide pandemic

I agree, there’s no chance of O Leary being that stupid.

But the pressure is starting to come on and rightly so, the likes of O Leary and others will be pushing more.

More and more people are looking at other countries and starting to ask questions and with lower cases and deaths daily fear doesn’t have the same effect it once had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Something I definitely miss in Ireland that you get in many European cities is the outdoor seating areas where you can enjoy a coffee/meal/pint al fresco. "Oh but it rains too often in Ireland for that" you'll hear people say. Bull****. It rains less in Dublin than in does in Amsterdam, Brussels, Hamburg, London, Lyon, Napes, Rome etc. It's just that our streets are taken over for cars like you say.

Which reminds me of a funny tweet thread I saw yesterday with the eejit Jamie Heaslip getting absolutely roasted trying to post poll-bait. https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Business owners can't just keep the head down and wait it out. Their businesses are in real danger.

It appears the wait and see crowd don't understand how private businesses generate revenue or where welfare payments originate from

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just on the original video you were replying to, good luck to them with the 2hr thing come August. Like it'll work so long as through July it's only drinks with food but when they open back up as a pub then the whole 2hr time thing is going to be a mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What's people's opinions on South Korea closing things again?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

What's people's opinions on South Korea closing things again?

There were multiple replies to you on this earlier when you posted about a 2nd wave.

Mine was:
    They're not calling it a second wave at all. It's a cluster of cases linked to a distribution centre where an employee was forced to go into work while sick. They're being cautious for the next 2 weeks and most restrictions are only in Seoul with only some places closing. All employees at the distribution centre and their contacts are being traced and tested.

55 new cases today and 177 over 3 days in a population of over 50 million, far from a second wave now is it ?? Read past the headline

I don’t expect you to believe or do I care. I can tell you now whether you like it or not the traffic was awful heavy this eve and I doubt they were all shopping. My work involves a lot of driving and I see it with my own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Stark wrote: »
    Something I definitely miss in Ireland that you get in many European cities is the outdoor seating areas where you can enjoy a coffee/meal/pint al fresco. "Oh but it rains too often in Ireland for that" you'll hear people say. Bull****. It rains less in Dublin than in does in Amsterdam, Brussels, Hamburg, London, Lyon, Napes, Rome etc. It's just that our streets are taken over for cars like you say.

Which reminds me of a funny tweet thread I saw yesterday with the eejit Jamie Heaslip getting absolutely roasted trying to post poll-bait. https://twitter.com/jamieheaslip/status/1266016429008134144

That poll was hilarious, I even gave an answer haha!

Walk down a street and see boring, homogeneous shop fronts and if you just look up you'll see beautiful architecture.

Turn a corner and you'll see traffic, cars parked on paths or bike lanes, with zero enforcement. The guards are even doing it.

Nothing more I'd love than to see a city bursting with business with outdoor seating, greenery all around, pedestrianised streets and proper bike infrastructure. The city would make a small fortune day after day.

This applies for all over Ireland and not just in cities.

Pity we have councils that are stuck in the 20th century with no regard for people, just cars.

It appears the wait and see crowd don't understand how private businesses generate revenue or where welfare payments originate from

I think tax payers are not just business people. And not just on one side of the argument here.
    We all have jobs and business interests to lose as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

All of them?

• Advertisement

I'd say that's it alright. There's a definite increase in traffic this past couple of weeks. There's a lot of people involved in the construction industry that have gone back to work too to be fair.

It has been all week the traffic, I’m on the road a lot and I know what I’m talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement