Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Stheno wrote: »
    Hotels etc are shut until the end of July where would they stay?

Airbnb’s, caravan parks, their own holiday homes here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Apparently the UK will not require Irish people to quarantine if they travel to the UK

Irish people or those travelling from the Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Loozer wrote: »
    Family work in them supplying to sites

Factories not opening afaik on 18th

they are

But there is 14 day mandatory quarantine in Ireland. The same quarantine protocol as exists in almost every other EU country. It just hasn’t been enforced so far, but Leo said on Friday on Newstalk that he would change that.

The difference between Ireland and most EU countries is not in the quarantine rules (acknowledging, for now, that lack of enforcement), but the fact that entry is not restricted to only citizens, residents and essential workers.

But the NI border issue is harder to resolve

Not mandatory at all.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0507/1137027-government-urged-to-progress-travel-info-regulations/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I’d be very anti-lockdown, open-the-country-up minded, but I really am totally against there being no restrictions on people entering the country from overseas. Now because of our lax restrictions, Ireland is being recommended to the UK people as a place to travel to!
    Not because of our “lax restrictions” but because we share a Common Travel Area with the UK.
    Neither nation can restrict the entry of citizens of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The_Brood wrote: »
    The vast majority of Europe is relaxing restrictions a lot faster and sooner than Ireland. So either the virus cases in Ireland a lot worse than elsewhere in Europe - and if so someone needs to be held accountable - or if this is an overly strict measure someone else must be held accountable for the economic disaster that stems from it.

Surely for the sake of a few weeks getting to watch what unfolds in those countries is invaluable in terms of data and looking at what goes right and wrong when putting our own strategy together. Given our low ICU capacity, using the experience gained from watching other countries is invaluable and I think the smart thing to be doing right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

they are

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Tenger wrote: »
    Not because of our “lax restrictions” but because we share a Common Travel Area with the UK.
    Neither nation can restrict the entry of citizens of the other.

By mandatory quarantine we will not be restricting entry to the country, they will just be required to quarantine once they enter the country. Australia and New Zealand quarantined their own citizens!

they are

I can't see any mention of factories opening on 18th
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

Rodin wrote: »

I know. That’s what I said. It can’t be enforced. The requirement is there....but there are no powers to retain people who don’t give the info. But It is the intent that it be fixed.

• Advertisement

Rodin wrote: »
    Irish people or those travelling from the Republic?

People travelling from the republic. At London airports, arrivals from Ireland go through the domestic channel and so bypass border control and straight into the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Won`t be happening. Simple as that.

What you mean it wont be happening?

Apparently the UK will not require Irish people to quarantine if they travel to the UK

That’s not Ireland’s problem. People would still have to quarantine on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

rob316 wrote: »
    Your a miserable person every post from you is about extending restrictions.

Yeah. Exactly. He isnt happy until there are extensions

By mandatory quarantine we will not be restricting entry to the country, they will just be required to quarantine once they enter the country. Australia and New Zealand quarantined their own citizens!

And they were right too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

In the same way there are business operating at present to serve essential services there will be businesses that will be needed to serve those that open on 18th. Otherwise whats the point in opening if you can't get materials or supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

prunudo wrote: »
    In the same way there are business operating at present to serve essential services there will be businesses that will be needed to serve those that open on 18th. Otherwise whats the point in opening if you can't get materials or supplies.

You would think that government officials who get 150,000, 200,000 + eurs per year would have enough brain power to make that clearly stated and known in their magic plan.

Factories are not specifically mentioned anywhere. They would presumably fall under the 1st phase on May 18

“Remote working
    Remote working is to continue for all workers or businesses that can currently do so.”

Given that factory workers cannot, by definition, work remotely, then they would go back according to the COVID roadmap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

You would think that government officials who get 150,000, 200,000 + eurs per year would have enough brain power to make that clearly stated and known in their magic plan.

You're making the mistake of believing they have an actual thought out plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Doctor acknowledges issues with contact tracing

“I don’t understand why we are having difficulties with contact tracing,” she said.

“We know that there are retired colleagues who have offered their services to be part of contact tracing because they can’t do the face-to-face consultations,” she said.

“And yet they have told me they still have not been contacted.”

https://www.newstalk.com/news/doctor-contact-tracing-lockdown-1012883

• Advertisement

the kelt wrote: »
    Doctor acknowledges issues with contact tracing

“I don’t understand why we are having difficulties with contact tracing,” she said.

“We know that there are retired colleagues who have offered their services to be part of contact tracing because they can’t do the face-to-face consultations,” she said.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/doctor-contact-tracing-lockdown-1012883

Govt has no money or are they offering to work for free? If latter then why the hell havent they been contacted

Factories are not specifically mentioned anywhere. They would presumably fall under the 1st phase on May 18

“Remote working
    Remote working is to continue for all workers or businesses that can currently do so.”

Given that factory workers cannot, by definition, work remotely, then they would go back according to the COVID roadmap

They're in the second phase not the first

They're in the second phase not the first

Oh jesus, are you telling me we are letting builders go to work 18th of May but they cant order new supplies till 8th of June?

This would be so Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Oh jesus, are you telling me we are letting builders go to work 18th of May but they cant order new supplies till 8th of June?

This would be so Ireland...

most suppliers are open in the morning, you ring in what you need and they will have it ready for you to collect. i am getting a new boiler thursday morning.
    i dont think is illegal as roofing and plumbing and electrical are considered essential services and the tradesmen need to get supplies.

soon though stocks will be depleted as alot of stuff comes in via the UK. will take time to get stocks up to required levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Didnt see that coming.

No, I did. We ll be in Guinness world records for slowest lockdown lifting.

Also, I linked earlier. Worrying times. Fintan would be keen to see

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/reality-bites-watchdog-warns-on-tax-hikes-and-pension-age-as-recession-kicks-in-39194085.html

most suppliers are open in the morning, you ring in what you need and they will have it ready for you to collect. i am getting a new boiler thursday morning.
    i dont think is illegal as roofing and plumbing and electrical are considered essential services and the tradesmen need to get supplies.

soon though stocks will be depleted as alot of stuff comes in via the UK. will take time to get stocks up to required levels.

Suppliers yes manufacturers no

They depend on both

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Suppliers yes manufacturers no

They depend on both

I’m building a house. I’ve various things on order, such as a kitchen and a stairs. The suppliers (and manufacturers) have told me they’re fully back on the 18th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

It was never exponential

Thats very clear

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement