Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

No, I did. We ll be in Guinness world records for slowest lockdown lifting.

We'd actually be opening restaurants before them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Didnt see that coming.

No, I did. We ll be in Guinness world records for slowest lockdown lifting.

Also, I linked earlier. Worrying times. Fintan would be keen to see

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/reality-bites-watchdog-warns-on-tax-hikes-and-pension-age-as-recession-kicks-in-39194085.html

Hopefully they will aim to copy the UK, or any other Europen country now. Its so frustrating seeing this government **** away thousands of jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’m building a house. I’ve various things on order, such as a kitchen and a stairs. The suppliers (and manufacturers) have told me they’re fully back on the 18th.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ad5dd0-easing-the-covid-19-restrictions-on-may-18-phase-1/

Manufacturers not allowed til 8th june

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Loozer wrote: »

It’s not at all clear cut in that link and from what I can gather, suppliers and manufacturers are taking their own more optimistic interpretation of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

As one twitter user said are you going to have a scenario where children within a few kilometres of each other near the border are going to be back at school in June while the others might not even be back in September if Irish independent sources are to be believed?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

German finance minister Scholz said: “Of course the situation is difficult. I don't want to convince any business owner that was closed for weeks and therefore could not make any sales that he would have no problem. He has a problem. I can only guarantee that we will do everything we can to ensure that as many companies as possible get through the crisis, that they are not out of breath and that jobs are preserved. I fight for every job.”

He says businesses closed for weeks creates a problem for the owners.

Now imagine being closed for 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Does anyone know of monumental works will be back open from the 18th, I’m looking to get a headstone and curbing done on a grave. I would assume they are as they are outside work. Any insight would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Am I losing my marbles or are posts being deleted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭prunudo

Am I losing my marbles or are posts being deleted here?

Think there are double or delayed posts appearing.

prunudo wrote: »
    Think there are double or delayed posts appearing.

But how are post's being deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

German finance minister Scholz said: “Of course the situation is difficult. I don't want to convince any business owner that was closed for weeks and therefore could not make any sales that he would have no problem. He has a problem. I can only guarantee that we will do everything we can to ensure that as many companies as possible get through the crisis, that they are not out of breath and that jobs are preserved. I fight for every job.”

He says businesses closed for weeks creates a problem for the owners.

Now imagine being closed for 5 months.

It's almost as if the Germans know how to run a country. I'd advise everyone who's able to to make a trip to Germany when this is all over to see how a modern country actually functions.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    It's almost as if the Germans know how to run a country. I'd advise everyone who's able to to make a trip to Germany when this is all over to see how a modern country actually functions.

Take a trip anywhere in June outside of Ireland and one will get to see a modern functioning country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭blackcard

Oh jesus, are you telling me we are letting builders go to work 18th of May but they cant order new supplies till 8th of June?

This would be so Ireland...

No. I have spoken to a number of suppliers, all starting back on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Am I right in assuming the U.K. can drive to wherever they want to exercise and get outdoors as long as they stay in their family group?
    Are they also reopening in July what we are in August?
    Seems schools will partially reopen in June, and people are told to return to work who cannot work from home.
    If our nearest neighbour is doing this, who incidentally had many more cases and deaths than us, why are we being left behind?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Loozer wrote: »

Where exactly does it say that? There are plenty of manufacturers still open now

I've read what you linked and dont see manufacturers explicitly called out.

Where are all the building sites that were opened early like social housing projects getting supplies from?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

But how are post's being deleted?
    Posters can delete their own posts or mods can delete them if they are not in line with forum or site rules

Either way, it's not for discussion here. PM me if you have any questions - do not respond to this post

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

Am I right in assuming the U.K. can drive to wherever they want to exercise and get outdoors as long as they stay in their family group?
    Seems schools will partially reopen in June, and people are told to return to work who cannot work from home.
    If our nearest neighbour is doing this, who incidentally had many more cases and deaths than us, why are we being left behind?
    It is very tentative and they will be very closely monitoring the numbers going forward. If the RO rises again they will go back. A lot of construction and manufacturing has never stopped. The schools will be just yr1 and 6 if the schools can safely open and again this will be monitored very closely. The only change really is that you can exercise as much and anywhere you want. Only with members of your own family. Social distancing must be maintained and heavy fines will be given to those flouting this. It should be ok to exercise as much as you want as long as you distance. I cant see what difference that would make. Fresh air and sunshine are good for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Behind the pay wall.

If anyone has a way to read this article I'd appreciate it.

We have the longest reopening plan in the world. And based on Tony’s words and the speculation, we might not even start phase 1 on time.

They’ll completely lose public support if they try to extend again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

Oh in the UK they don’t think opening schools for few weeks doesn’t make sense, how comes? ;)

• Advertisement

Im really struggling accepting news of other countries swift return to normality.

And I know my mental health is beginning to suffer when I'm starting to think we would be better with John Waters in charge of this crisis

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Arghus wrote: »
    Behind the pay wall.

Only 1 para plus a link allowed under site copyright guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

because we are waiting to see how it pans out for them.....which is the smart to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It'll get extensions if the death toll rises again or there is another significant increase in hospital admission with Covid19 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭kaymin

Behind the pay wall.

https://unherd.com/thepost/nobel-prize-winning-scientist-the-covid-19-epidemic-was-never-exponential/

Basically Sweden and Germany got it right with a light touch lockdown and almost every other country got it wrong given there's no immunity built up and they've ruined their economies. Also the virus burns itself out after a short exponential growth period regardless of shutdown measures.

oceanman wrote: »
    because we are waiting to see how it pans out for them.....which is the smart to do.

No the smart thing is to reopen Ireland and see how Ireland does

The stupid thing is to wait and see what happens in a densely populated country with 60m people 12m of whom are in the risk category.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Behind the pay wall.

Basically virus will burn itself out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Behind the pay wall.

If you join your local library you can the the independent free every day using the Press Reader app.

Takes about 10 mins to set yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnboy1298

It will be interesting over the next few weeks, but the easing of restrictions so far has proved successful in austria etc. The swedish epidemiologists & Michael Levitt may well be proved right too over that tie period. If this continues there will be a very strong argument to be made that the length of our phases has been hugely over cautious. The pressure will come on the government quickly if this is the case as every day they waste is costing a fortune and more and more businesses will come under pressure to open or shut for good. I would imagine that the press will jump on this as they finally notice that the corona virus death numbers are no longer particularly news worthy and they realise recession is the next big headline problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Wow I read the article with some skepticism as it looks like a typical headline grabber...but it’s actually one of the more interesting articles I’ve read during this time. His analysis of the situation, data and other factors...seem to have a lot of merit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement