Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Stheno wrote: »
    I think in Leo's last speech he said something like 2000 lives had been saved

Good point. Head scratcher!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

A glimmer of hope! From our government.

Businesses could reopen sooner if Covid-19 spread continues to slow, says Humphreys
    ‘If trend continues we can begin to reopen economy in line with roadmap, if not more quickly’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/businesses-could-reopen-sooner-if-covid-19-spread-continues-to-slow-says-humphreys-1.4250281

It does indeed seems like the tide is turning and all of our pro economic posts in this thread have been read by FG

Fintan, Easypazz, Cruelsummer, dalyboy, jacdaniels you all have done well to name a few.

+ The Minister also indicated that the Government may consider lowering the VAT rate on the hospitality sector from 13 per cent to 9 per cent.

Colibri wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me? I'm not being contrarian, I genuinely don't understand it.

Anyone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Prof Sam McConkey on Mary Wilson this evening stating we need to get back to work because without an economy we will become poor. And when we’re poor we become very unhealthy.
    So, finally, we're clever, socially responsible humans if we say this.

And the other lot are the Neanderthals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Anyone? :)

Explain what? Sorry I cant find the post you are referring to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/watch-huge-traveller-funeral-draws-18232062

Bloody joke that this is being allowed happen again and again

Why the fúck do they get treated with kid gloves? If they want people's respect they need earn it and this isn't the way to do it.

Ah sorry. I've not been on a vBulletin board in ages, forgot the original quote won't be available if I quote the newer post.

It was this one;
    Approx 70 people have died in Ireland in ICU. So 70 people were strong enough to recieve ICU treatment and subsequently passed on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It does indeed seems like the tide is turning and all of our pro economic posts in this thread have been read by FG

Fintan, Easypazz, Cruelsummer, dalyboy, jacdaniels you all have done well to name a few.

Hahaha! You don't think there are any economists in government or advising government?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Hahaha! You don't think there are any economists in government or advising government?

No, i thought they have all been missing. Only message from the government since 12th of March is "deaths as low as possible"

But to be honest economists back or not, Tony H makes the call. So fingers crossed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah sorry. I've not been on a vBulletin board in ages, forgot the original quote won't be available if I quote the newer post.

It was this one;

Ah right.

Basically those who perceive that we have caused huge economic damage due to the restrictions, basically argue that of all those who died most were old and already I'll and would likely have died soon enough due to age/illness

Most old/sick people would not have been strong enough for ICU, so the argument essentially is that the real death rate attributable to COVID is those who died in ICU and it doesn't justify the restrictions

Another form of the argument is that less than I think 100 of the dead were less than 70 so again the restrictions cannot be justified on economic grounds

• Advertisement

A glimmer of hope! From our government.

Businesses could reopen sooner if Covid-19 spread continues to slow, says Humphreys
    ‘If trend continues we can begin to reopen economy in line with roadmap, if not more quickly’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/businesses-could-reopen-sooner-if-covid-19-spread-continues-to-slow-says-humphreys-1.4250281

+ The Minister also indicated that the Government may consider lowering the VAT rate on the hospitality sector from 13 per cent to 9 per cent.

Thing is, that was always going to be the case. Provided our trajectory is good. So this is not a change in policy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

Penfailed wrote: »

First priority is for varadkar to come out of this smelling of roses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Thing is, that was always going to be the case. Provided our trajectory is good. So this is not a change in policy

Tony Holohan didn't sound convinced in the briefing

One intersting aspect in England

From Wednesday you can get in your car and go wherever you want for exercise

We can't even travel more than 20km within our county until July 20th

We are prisoners in our own county.

And Tony H is the prison warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's effectively extended lock-down with a bigger jogging zone.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah right.

Basically those who perceive that we have caused huge economic damage due to the restrictions, basically argue that of all those who died most were old and already I'll and would likely have died soon enough due to age/illness

Most old/sick people would not have been strong enough for ICU, so the argument essentially is that the real death rate attributable to COVID is those who died in ICU and it doesn't justify the restrictions

Another form of the argument is that less than I think 100 of the dead were less than 70 so again the restrictions cannot be justified on economic grounds

Aha. Thank you! I got it now :)

We are prisoners in our own county.

And Tony H is the prison warden.

Except we're not going...and he isn't.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

With the numbers now dropping so low, considering they’ve ramped up testing and eased the criteria and considering that most cases/deaths are in nursing homes, I think we have to look at opening back up much sooner than 10th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

And as we all know, England has led the way throughout this crisis in making the right decisions at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is this statement regarded as factual?

"Measures taken to suppress Covid-19 in Ireland have prevented unmitigated transmission and 50,000-75,000 deaths."

Who knows. But he is totally right that the problem is with testing & tracing. He is also right that the HSE are the wrong people to be doing it & are unlikely to ever do it properly.

Arghus wrote: »
    And as we all know, England has led the way throughout this crisis in making the right decisions at the right time.

True

Still the likes of woodies etc opening Wednesday 5 days before us

Travel the best part of 10 weeks before us

It's another example of our plan being Painfully slow and unambitious

So much so that NI, Scotland and Wales are doing their own thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Tony Holohan didn't sound convinced in the briefing
    Sure he never does and he's certainly not going to say anything on a Monday and he had a tweet yesterday with a sporting reference on staying the course. The last thing he or anyone else wants this week is for people to head out all over the place in large numbers. Everything now points to 18 May being the start date buuuut they can use the three weeks to stretch the openings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The fact England is now a poster boy for "correct" decisions really shows how desperate this thread has gotten.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Sure he never does and he's certainly not going to say anything on a Monday and he had a tweet yesterday with a sporting reference on staying the course. The last thing he or anyone else wants this week is for people to head out all over the place in large numbers. Everything now points to 18 May being the start date buuuut they can use the three weeks to stretch the openings out.

Yes unfortunately they will try to keep the openings stretched out

The government are going to have to overrule him I'd say

Even the UK have got to phase 1 before us

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'll happily take that. Ambitious is for economic plans not pandemics.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'll happily take that. Ambitious is for economic plans not pandemics.

Not really

Many countries will be fully open well before us

The majority of Spain can travel within their province today

We can't for another 10 weeks

It's frustrating how far away we seem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Not really

Many countries will be fully open well before us

The majority of Spain can travel within their province today

We can't for another 10 weeks

It's frustrating how far away we seem

I presume there is scope to narrow the period between the different phases of the numbers permit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

True

Still the likes of woodies etc opening Wednesday 5 days before us

Travel the best part of 10 weeks before us

Yeah, I'd rather be cautious - rather than having one of the highest death tolls in the world.

Britain's approach has been shambolic and half-baked throughout this crisis. This is no different - different parts of the UK have said they aren't going to follow many of the guidelines and have even said they're downright confused by portions of what Johnson announced last night. Downing Street has had to provide clarification today, because people were left confused. Boris got filleted in parliament earlier.

There's no thought out systematic approach by the UK government on how to do this - they've a bunch of half-wit arch Brexiteers running the country - open this, close this, do this, don't do this, telling people suddenly on Sunday night that they should go back to work on Monday morning, but not to use public transport: c'mon, it's a farce over there! They don't know what they're doing and this scattershot lifting of restrictions is the latest from them.

Their handling of this is a disaster. Look at the death toll. Britain isn't doing well. And a lot of that has come down to bad and nonexistent leadership and denial.

About two months ago, when all this was kicking off, when you turned on the TV here you had our politicians at least debating and trying to grapple with what was coming, it definitely didn't feel like it was business as usual: things were different, it was obvious.

At the exact same time, I vividly remember watching the coverage of the UK budget in the House of Commons. It was surreal, pure business as usual stuff - Boris cracking jokes in front of a full house, talking about how they were going to spend billions building roads. It was like the coronavirus didn't exist, even though they already had by then a steadily growing number of cases in the UK. It wasn't going to stop Blighty: a few weeks later Boris nearly dies from it in ICU and they've got the highest death toll in Europe. They were in denial and it came back to bite them - nothing has changed there.

Never mind the Brits and their plans: they don't know what they're at

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement