Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

To be fair I would be looking last Britain in regards to how they are doing things and looking more towards our eu counterparts and how their handling things with easing of restrictions.

We are even further behind an awful lot of those!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Quite frankly I don’t care what the UK is doing as they are shambolic but we can look to fellow EU countries.

I watched that press conference today and I am absolutely petrified for the future of this country. The TH led Govt. is massively concerned that 43% of people think the worst is behind us - after 10 weeks isolating and massive sacrifice, one would hope that that many people of not more would think and have the confidence that the worst is behind us. What are they thinking - is this a project fear indefinitely?

Why the hell is it taking 5 days to get a test result back? Why is the real Govt not getting excited about this? Why can’t they give R data excluding health professionals etc - he was asked this and dodged the question.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I presume there is scope to narrow the period between the different phases of the numbers permit?

Yes there is depending on how easing restrictions impacts case numbers and ICU

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    True

Still the likes of woodies etc opening Wednesday 5 days before us

Travel the best part of 10 weeks before us

It's another example of our plan being Painfully slow and unambitious

Hardware stores in the UK appear to have shut down voluntary their restrictions were looser than hours

B and Q and Homebase opened there last week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Should be fun now on Wednesday when people from Northern Ireland can travel all over Ireland and we can't until July 20th!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Arghus wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd rather be cautious - rather than having one of the highest death tolls in the world.

Britain's approach has been shambolic and half-baked throughout this crisis. This is no different - different parts of the UK have said they aren't going to follow many of the guidelines and have even said they're downright confused by portions of what Johnson announced last night. Downing Street has had to provide clarification today, because people were left confused. Boris got filleted in parliament earlier.

There's no thought out systematic approach by the UK government on how to do this - they've a bunch of half-wit arch Brexiteers running the country - open this, close this, do this, don't do this, telling people suddenly on Sunday night that they should go back to work on Monday morning, but not to use public transport: c'mon, it's a farce over there! They don't know what they're doing and this scattershot lifting of restrictions is the latest from them.

Their handling of this is a disaster. Look at the death toll. Britain isn't doing well. And a lot of that has come down to bad and nonexistent leadership and denial.

About two months ago, when all this was kicking off, when you turned on the TV here you had our politicians at least debating and trying to grapple with what was coming, it definitely didn't feel like it was business as usual: things were different, it was obvious.

At the exact same time, I vividly remember watching the coverage of the UK budget in the House of Commons. It was surreal, pure business as usual stuff - Boris cracking jokes in front of a full house, talking about how they were going to spend billions building roads. It was like the coronavirus didn't exist, even though they already had by then a steadily growing number of cases in the UK. It wasn't going to stop Blighty: a few weeks later Boris nearly dies from it in ICU and they've got the highest death toll in Europe. They were in denial and it came back to bite them - nothing has changed there.

Never mind the Brits and their plans: they don't know what they're at

Oh I think the Brits know exactly what they are at. It is even obvious with their poster message of "STAY ALERT > CONTROL THE VIRUS ", the borders of this message are green colour. Previous message of "STAY AT HOME > HELP THE NHS" was in red colour.

They literally want people back working, either because they are heartless bastar*s or they realise that being poor is not helping anyone. In both cases people are encouraged to go out there, accept the risk and work and continue life.

Will their population be wiped out? will there be death and destruction? We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Quite frankly I don’t care what the UK is doing as they are shambolic but we can look to fellow EU countries.

I watched that press conference today and I am absolutely petrified for the future of this country. The TH led Govt. is massively concerned that 43% of people think the worst is behind us - after 10 weeks isolating and massive sacrifice, one would hope that that many people of not more would think and have the confidence that the worst is behind us. What are they thinking - is this a project fear indefinitely?

Why the hell is it taking 5 days to get a test result back? Why is the real Govt not getting excited about this? Why can’t they give data outside of health professionals etc - he was asked this and dodged the question.

That’s because an absolutely frightening amount of people seem to be under the impression that lockdown is a cure for the virus, they are happy to continue making the sacrifice to stay at home because they think if we get the number of new daily cases down to 0, the virus will be gone forever and we’ll get back to full normality.
    They can see the numbers falling and they think it’s ‘working’ and that’s why they think the worst is behind us.

I’m in a few general groups for women on FB and a few lockdown ones and honestly the amount of people that are under the false notion that we’re doing this to get down to zero cases would blow your mind.
    They honestly believe that lockdown will kill it off and we won’t ever have to worry about coronavirus again in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

batman_oh wrote: »
    Should be fun now on Wednesday when people from Northern Ireland can travel all over Ireland and we can't until July 20th!

People from the north have been doing that for the last two months judging by the amount of UK reg cars heading for Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Varadkar is as bad as Holohan, he is just looking at it from a medical point of view and seems happy to kick the can down the road as regards the economic side of things.

I fear we are heading for a major sh1tstorm in the coming months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That’s because an absolutely frightening amount of people seem to be under the impression that lockdown is a cure for the virus, they are happy to continue making the sacrifice to stay at home because they think if we get the number of new daily cases down to 0, the virus will be gone forever and we’ll get back to full normality.
    They can see the numbers falling and they think it’s ‘working’ and that’s why they think the worst is behind us.

I’m in a few general groups for women on FB and a few lockdown ones and honestly the amount of people that are under the false notion that we’re doing this to get down to zero cases would blow your mind.
    They honestly believe that lockdown will kill it off and we won’t ever have to worry about coronavirus again in the future.

Well we do. Lockdown won’t cure it and we need to adjust to the new normal but by a risk based approach.

I think people have been led down the garden path by the TH Govt. - that has been the propaganda. We need a lockdown to ensure we have hospital capacity and ICU beds, we need to get the R rate below 1 etc etc, we need to weaken the virus. Today they were talking about the second wave again.

Weeks ago WHO were saying we need to adjust life to deal with this - they are right. But we will not have an economy left if we take months to ease restrictions to a new normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,385 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were getting an extension I can feel it

The CMO will make sure it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »

I don't share your pessimism.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If he does extend it very few will actually adhere to it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dismaying that people are happy to have the wool pulled over their eyes. Social distancing sufficient for normal life to continue. Health care settings and the medically vulnerable require extra precaution.

Hospitals now lying empty, ICU well under capacity, the rate of reproduction figure excluding health staff and nursing homes not provided, widespread testing and tracing barely off the ground. Other countries which had it way worse than us are now going back to a form of normal quicker, that doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You obviously weren't watching him earlier so. He didn't sound negative about it at all, it's more probable at this stage that what is planned for the 18th will happen.

Oh I think the Brits know exactly what they are at...

I have to stop you there...

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, even by your standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭VonLuck

SusieBlue wrote: »

The biggest world event to happen in their lifetime, which is directly affecting them so have a vested interest, and is endlessly discussed on all forms of media and they can't grasp the basics? That's worrying.

You obviously weren't watching him earlier so. He didn't sound negative about it at all, it's more probable at this stage that what is planned for the 18th will happen.

I agree

Dismaying that people are happy to have the wool pulled over their eyes. Social distancing sufficient for normal life to continue. Health care settings and the medically vulnerable require extra precaution.

Hospitals now lying empty, ICU well under capacity, the rate of reproduction figure excluding health staff and nursing homes not provided, widespread testing and tracing barely off the ground. Other countries which had it way worse than us are now going back to a form of normal quicker, that doesn't make sense.

Do you really think that if the reproduction rate stays low that phase 5 still won't happen until August?

If there's no resurgence in the virus numbers it'll all be accelerated: government ministers have said this, DOH have said this, the CMO has said this. It's not set in stone that everything in that document will play out as slowly as is set out in the document.

It depends how the virus spreads in the interim: if it is clearly not spreading at a dangerous rate then things will open up quicker. It's not a series of decrees carved in rock, it is living document, that will change depending on circumstances. This has been stated time and time again.

And right now some countries are opening up faster than us, but no-one knows how that will work. Literally no one on planet earth knows right now for certain whether that will turn out to be the right or wrong move. Literally no one.

There's a lot of educated guesses - and even more uneducated guesses - but nothing is certain, so I think the government is exactly right to be cautious in these early stages and see how things pan out elsewhere, before commiting to something that is still fragile and precarious.

If it turns out the risk isn't as great as it appeared to be - then have it, bombs away. But we don't know that risk yet, that data isn't there because other countries are still only just taking baby steps in reopening. Will a second lockdown by avoided in these countries? We don't know for certain, either way. So being in a position to look, learn and assess for a couple of more weeks at the beginning is very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I have to stop you there...

That's a pretty ridiculous statement, even by your standards.

Harsh. My antics got FG to open up ahead of schedule.

Ofcourse with plenty of help from the pro economic brigade in this thread.

As Al Pacino said, first we get the money, then we get the healthcare then we get the

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It's called the HSE and it's been around for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you really think that if the reproduction rate stays low that phase 5 still won't happen until August?

If there's no resurgence in the virus numbers it'll all be accelerated: government ministers have said this, DOH have said this, the CMO has said this. It's not set in stone that everything in that document will play out as slowly as is set out in the document.

The CMO has already been proved a liar about the reason for the original restrictions and the point at which they would be eased, why is his word credible now?

The events cancelled in the last few days strikes me as a country devoid of any adaptability to live with Covid, so I'm not confident of any single plan on the roadmap going ahead on schedule, never mind someone showing the initiative to move dates further ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

The CMO has already been proved a liar about the reason for the original restrictions and the point at which they would be eased, why is his word credible now?

When was this? Again not disagreeing / arguing

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Huza91

Hey All,

Hope someone can help/advise me on this.

The girlfriend lives in Wales and I'm planning on staying with her for a month or more as I'm eligible to work remotely and we've been advised that we won't be returning to site until October at the earliest.

I'm going to be going by ferry but will the North Wales police stop me? Would I need to provide evidence of essential travel? Would the gardai in Dublin Port stop and ask for the same?

Appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why the hell is it taking 5 days to get a test result back? Why is the real Govt not getting excited about this? Why can’t they give R data excluding health professionals etc - he was asked this and dodged the question.
    We'll be fine. Having a bit of hope doesn't mean we're going to go mad! We've been very responsible up till now.
    R data is Philip Nolan, he's in on Thursday. Cillian will be there tomorrow on testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Colibri wrote: »
    When was this? Again not disagreeing / arguing

Initial restrictions were implemented to reduce RO below 1 and prevent ICU being overwhelmed, was what was said.

Turned out be lies, and a coverup for an inability to get testing up to required level's.etc all the while remaining untransparent and refused to publish minutes from NPHET meeting's.

Initial restrictions were implemented to reduce RO below 1 and prevent ICU being overwhelmed, was what was said.

Turned out be lies, and a coverup for an inability to get testing up to required level's.etc all the while remaining untransparent and refused to publish minutes from NPHET meeting's.

When was it said that as soon as the R0 went below 1, restrictions would be immediately lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

When was it said that as soon as the R0 went below 1, restrictions would be immediately lifted?

Before the last extension, it was everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

So restrictions will be released after seeing today's figures. Thank god.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Before the last extension, it was everywhere.

Can you point me to a link where that was stated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement