Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Dentists open for routine procedures next monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Looney1 wrote: »

Kids need to get back to school asap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

VonLuck wrote: »
    The biggest world event to happen in their lifetime, which is directly affecting them so have a vested interest, and is endlessly discussed on all forms of media and they can't grasp the basics? That's worrying.

I have seen posts on these groups from concerned Irish parents who are saying if there are still cases in September (which there will be) that they won’t be sending their children back to school because the risk is too big & it’ll still be too dangerous.

I have also seen posts already calling for Christmas to be cancelled (!!!!!) & for the lockdown to be reinstated for the month of December as it’ll be too dangerous to go into the shops to buy presents, and not having Christmas at all would eliminate the need to shop.

I saw a frontline worker (a nurse) query the other day whether it would be ok to travel 17km from her home to purchase a new car as hers is written off the road & this is the nearest one she can find that is within her budget, and she needs it to get to work.
    She got absolutely lambasted in the replies, people were calling her a selfish assh*le, saying travelling 17km is way too risky & dangerous when people are dying of coronavirus & she should either walk or get the bus to work until the virus is gone.
    Someone even said they’d be reporting her to the Gardaí and the HSE for reckless endangerment.

People have completely lost their heads over this, Leo has certainly alluded to the fact that lockdown is a delaying tactic and not a cure but until he comes out and says in plain English that lockdown won’t kill off the virus there are going to be curtain twitchers monitoring their neighbours every move & making everyone else’s lives miserable due to their own sheer ignorance on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

There mightn't be many shops left open for Christmas!

Online shopping will be strong next Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I have seen posts on these groups from concerned Irish parents who are saying if there are still cases in September (which there will be) that they won’t be sending their children back to school because the risk is too big & it’ll still be too dangerous.

I have also seen posts already calling for Christmas to be cancelled (!!!!!) & for the lockdown to be reinstated for the month of December as it’ll be too dangerous to go into the shops to buy presents, and not having Christmas at all would eliminate the need to shop.

I saw a frontline worker (a nurse) query the other day whether it would be ok to travel 17km from her home to purchase a new car as hers is written off the road & this is the nearest one she can find that is within her budget, and she needs it to get to work.
    She got absolutely lambasted in the replies, people were calling her a selfish assh*le, saying travelling 17km is way too risky & dangerous when people are dying of coronavirus & she should either walk or get the bus to work until the virus is gone.
    Someone even said they’d be reporting her to the Gardaí and the HSE for reckless endangerment.

People have completely lost their heads over this, Leo has certainly alluded to the fact that lockdown is a delaying tactic and not a cure but until he comes out and says in plain English that lockdown won’t kill off the virus there are going to be curtain twitchers monitoring their neighbours every move & making everyone else’s lives miserable due to their own sheer ignorance on the matter.

He's been saying that all along.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-cannot-be-stopped-but-can-be-slowed-says-varadkar-1.4197969

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Her mistake was asking the question on Facebook (presumably Facebook?).

Tbh I don’t think here and other social media outlets are particularly reflective of the real world. In reality, I’ve generally found people very relaxed and tolerant, getting on with life while using large slices of their own common sense. Thankfully there’s a large proportion of people out there that haven’t lost their collective minds.

I really don’t see the ridiculous hysteria and “lockdown merchants” in the real world. I guess they’re all in their bedrooms, where they always were anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Initial restrictions were implemented to reduce RO below 1 and prevent ICU being overwhelmed, was what was said.

Turned out be lies, and a coverup for an inability to get testing up to required level's.etc all the while remaining untransparent and refused to publish minutes from NPHET meeting's.

I think you are just making it up at this stage Tbh.

There was no statement detailing that all restrictions were going to be lifted when the R0 went under 1

The issue of not overwhelming medical ervices (not just ICU btw) is an ongoing function of keeping the rate of infection low.

Yeah there have been big issues with testing etc but the restictions have helped to reduce the Rate of infection. The number of active cases also seems to be reducing and we now have a timeline for removing the restrictions which will be moved forward if that rate of infection stays low.

Sounds like you bizarrly think the whole thing was one big conspiracy or something.

If otherwise I really cant see what your issue is there unless you'd prefer someone else pushing the buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Arghus wrote: »

That article is dated the 10th of March, he may have said it then but he certainly he hasn’t said anything like that in any of his speeches since.
    In his last one he even said that two additional weeks of restrictions were needed to ‘weaken the virus further’, which is BS. The virus hasn’t been weakened, it’s simply being suppressed because everyone is locked in their houses and nothing is open.
    People hear that, and think that the lockdown is killing it off. And thus think a lengthier lockdown will get rid of it completely.

It isn’t really their fault because Leo is being misleading and ambiguous in his choice of words but this is the reason there are people out there who don’t want any restrictions lifted till we’re down to 0 daily cases and 0 deaths.

Huza91 wrote: »
    Hey All,

Hope someone can help/advise me on this.

The girlfriend lives in Wales and I'm planning on staying with her for a month or more as I'm eligible to work remotely and we've been advised that we won't be returning to site until October at the earliest.

I'm going to be going by ferry but will the North Wales police stop me? Would I need to provide evidence of essential travel? Would the gardai in Dublin Port stop and ask for the same?

Appreciate the help

You are allowed to travel to the UK. And you don't have to quarantine. And if challenged by police in either country, your response is that you are going home. It might be a new home, but it is home. I see nothing wrong at all in what you are proposing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Looney1 wrote: »

Source ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Damian F

The inevitable increase in cases once places start to reopen has been rebranded a "second wave"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

gozunda wrote: »
    I think you are just making it up at this stage Tbh.

There was no statement detailing that all restrictions were going to be lifted when the R0 went under 1

Im making it up? Where did I say it say all restrictions were to be lifted if the RO went under 1? You will have to quote where I explicitly said all restrictions would be lifted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Christ almighty. Just shows what total cretins they are if they think becoming a regular public transport user is more responsible than travelling further than some arbitrary limit to buy a replacement car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Dr Holohan said the findings emphasised the challenge facing the Department of Health in conveying the message about the potential impact of a second wave of cases.

"43p is quite a high percentage of people who believe that this is over and the work is done here," he said.

"That's just a little cause for concern that we have."

Fintan, did you respond to the survey saying you think its over? it aint over until Tony H sings

Seriously why is he concerned with what the public thinks? he needs to worry about hospital beds and ICU.

I really don't get the mob who get upset at people being out and about at the beach etc, as if the August date on the government roadmap is an expiry date for the virus. It's not like if we just wait until August covid will no longer be contagious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That article is dated the 10th of March, he may have said it then but he certainly he hasn’t said anything like that in any of his speeches since.
    In his last one he even said that two additional weeks of restrictions were needed to ‘weaken the virus further’, which is BS. The virus hasn’t been weakened, it’s simply being suppressed.
    People hear that, and think that the lockdown is killing it off. And thus think a lengthier lockdown will get rid of it completely.

It isn’t really their fault because Leo is being misleading and ambiguous in his choice of words but this is the reason there are people out there who don’t want any restrictions lifted till we’re down to 0 daily cases and 0 deaths.

It's dated from the 10th of March - which goes to show that he's been saying all along that the virus can't be eliminated entirely. He's been very clear from the outset of the crisis. It's right there in black and white.

I don't understand your point about him simply saying "to weaken the virus" is BS. He's not saying that the virus is dissapearring or somehow being altered on a biological level to become literally weaker. He's talking - clearly - about the spread of the virus and the foothold it has in the country in terms of R0 numbers etc,etc. To suppress it is to weaken it.

To me it's clear what he means and you could swap out "weaken" for "suppress" in that sentence and it wouldn't change the essential meaning of the message. I don't regard it as ambiguous.

Nowhere has he said that they are hoping to achieve total eradication of the virus, but he has said many times that they are aiming for suppression. Weaken. Suppress. Not kill. Not eradicate.

Mind you, I don't think Leo has been perfect during all this. I think he could have made himself a lot more visible, instead of popping up every now and again.

The media and politicians have mislead the masses into thinking that the virus has an expiration date. Ray Darcy was talking about people going on staycation in August the other day, whether it's tommorow or August cases will go up when things go back to normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Dr Holohan said the findings emphasised the challenge facing the Department of Health in conveying the message about the potential impact of a second wave of cases.

"43p is quite a high percentage of people who believe that this is over and the work is done here," he said.

"That's just a little cause for concern that we have."

Fintan, did you respond to the survey saying you think its over? it aint over until Tony H sings

Seriously why is he concerned with what the public thinks? he needs to worry about hospital beds and ICU.

I think this statement was extraordinary and the clip is being showed on the RTÉ website. 43% believe that we are through the worst of this. What the hell is wrong with that? What kind of behavioural scientists are advising them?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

..........Leo has certainly alluded to the fact that lockdown is a delaying tactic and not a cure but until he comes out and says in plain English that lockdown won’t kill off the virus there are going to be curtain twitchers monitoring their neighbours every move & making everyone else’s lives miserable due to their own sheer ignorance on the matter.

This has been the message from health experts for almost 4 month now.
    (my family in HK entered their lockdown last week of January)

The lack of self education by people is shocking. Ive been watching a series of immunology videos since mid January as I was planing to travel to HK in February. I learn about R0 4 months ago. Read several article in The Lancet and the NEJM regarding unfolding reseach on this virus.

Harsh. My antics got FG to open up ahead of schedule.

Ofcourse with plenty of help from the pro economic brigade in this thread.

As Al Pacino said, first we get the money, then we get the healthcare then we get the

How do you figure that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Her mistake was asking the question on Facebook (presumably Facebook?).

Tbh I don’t think here and other social media outlets are particularly reflective of the real world. In reality, I’ve generally found people very relaxed and tolerant, getting on with life while using large slices of their own common sense. Thankfully there’s a large proportion of people out there that haven’t lost their collective minds.

I really don’t see the ridiculous hysteria and “lockdown merchants” in the real world. I guess they’re all in their bedrooms, where they always were anyway.

On the money. Perhaps some posters are right. The sooner the schools and crèches are back open the better.

I'm making it up? Where did I say it say all restrictions were to be lifted if the RO went under 1? You will have to quote where I explicitly said all restrictions would be lifted?

I didn't say you did btw. This is what I said.

You seem to believe that implementation of restrictions was all a big lie

From this ...
    Initial restrictions were implemented to reduce RO below 1 and prevent ICU being overwhelmed, was what was said.

Turned out be lies ...

Yes restrictions were implemented to help reduce RO below zero and to keep health services being overwhelmed. None of that is lies.

Hence you seem to making that up.

In addition to that many of your other comments are hugely critical of the restrictions having been implemented in the first place - including the one above imo
    Can one assume those who are in favour of the restrictions here, are in fact, hypocritical liars ....
    the restrictions have crippled Ireland into a depression...

I have seen deaths per 100k stats referring to Covid death's for the last while and they seem to use the complete population in the calculations.
    Knowing what we now do, that it is primarily lethal to the over 65's(over 90% of deaths), should the calculation's should be adjusted accordingly for the populations over 65 in each country?
    So calculating (death rate/population over 65) x 100k

Belgium (8707/2,200,000) = 395 deaths per 100k
    Spain (26744/8,930,000) = 299 deaths per 100k
    UK (32065/12,000,000) = 267 deaths per 100k
    Italy (30739/13,800,000) = 222 deaths per 100k
    Ireland (1467/674,000) = 217 deaths per 100k
    France (26643/13,400,000) = 198 deaths per 100k
    USA (80653/49,200,200) = 163 deaths per 100k
    Sweden (3256/2,000,000) = 163 deaths per 100k
    Netherlands (2515/3,313,000) = 75 deaths per 100k
    Germany (7850/17,500,000) = 43 deaths per 100k

There may well be glaring miscalculations, but from those figures it shows Ireland has not preformed as much better than the UK as some think using those metrics, which IMO are the most accurate.
    P.S Im sure there is miscalculations in those

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Hopefully we can retire Tony now after this week and lets all get back to normal. This delayed approach cannot continue. We are virtually only few cases now so be should be getting back to normal quicker than what the government guidelines are suggesting. What will the media cling onto next now that covid isnt a hot point as it was. The recession to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Hopefully we can retire Tony now after this week and lets all get back to normal. This delayed approach cannot continue. We are virtually only few cases now so be should be getting back to normal quicker than what the government guidelines are suggesting. What will the media cling onto next now that covid isnt a hot point as it was. The recession to come?

When the penny finally drops people are going to shìt themselves. Normal as you know it is over.

Lots of pics n instagram of hooleys in bars in Spain today. That’s only going one way, back to lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

There may well be glaring miscalculations, but from those figures it shows Ireland has not preformed as much better than the UK as some think using those metrics, which IMO are the most accurate.
    P.S Im sure there is miscalculations in those

I guess if you include all age deaths in your calculations, you can't get the right results. Wouldn't you have to compare the percentage of over 65 deaths to the percentage of the over 65 population of the whole country?

Not too sure what we do with the results, though?

Polar101 wrote: »
    Not too sure what we do with the results, though?

Nothing whatsoever. I had seen Brit bashing ramping up on this thread though, why we would be in a position to do so I'm unaware

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Nothing whatsoever. I had seen Brit bashing ramping up on this thread though, why we would be in a position to do so I'm unaware

Because we havent been as stupid at handling this as Britain. Despite some thinking Britain have done well.

Also it's been repeatedly pointed out by the British press that the numbers are likely far off the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Grand day for the beach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement