Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Streets in Paris still deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

the kelt wrote: »

Notice how every single phase date mentioned in that list is April, May, June.
    We're the only ones in the EU being made wait until July and August for many things.
    Still haven't seen any justification for us being the only ones.

It's the timeframe that is so demoralising here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nermal wrote: »

He's an attention seeking clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

He's an attention seeking clown.

He is no clown, eccentric, liable to say anything and prone to trolling, but no clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Is everything ok to go ahead Monday for phase 1 of the ease of restrictions or can it be changed before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Is everything ok to go ahead Monday for phase 1 of the ease of restrictions or can it be changed before then?

yes everything is grand - Monday we're good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

All except the testing turnaround and the contact tracing .Again .,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I would not rule out a 3 week extension and 6 weeks between phases. Not that I would agree with it.

Aside from my scepticism - I understand advice will be given to Govt on Friday in relation to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

No new ICU admissions last night and something like 12 hospital admissions yesterday?

Surely the lockdown will become very difficult to justify if them numbers continue.

I thought the purpose of it was to make sure the hospitals weren't overrun during the inevitable surge, and they weren't. Now some people think this is the way it'll be until there's a vaccine. Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Newstalk

Our friend Tony wont be making face masks mandatory in public.

On Ryanair flights masks + temperature checks before boarding will be necessary.

Some crazy survey from GAA club member association says players dont want to return to action until a vaccine is found.

Oh boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NufcNavan wrote: »
    No new ICU admissions last night and something like 12 hospital admissions yesterday?

Surely the lockdown will become very difficult to justify if them numbers continue.

I thought the purpose of it was to make sure the hospitals weren't overrun during the inevitable surge, and they weren't. Now some people think this is the way it'll be until there's a vaccine. Which is it?

It's increasingly evident that it's whatever the powers that be wish it to be in order to deflect from the systemic failures (again) within the HSE.

If they try to extend this out another few weeks at the weekend (wouldn't surprise me if they try to go to beyond the June bank holiday), I'd expect the majority of people and businesses will ignore it. Many (but unfortunately not enough) of the latter are preparing to reopen as we speak and for some it'll be their last chance to reopen.

Unless the Gardai actually enforce the restrictions ("your papers please"), life will start getting back to normal - with sensible precautions such as social distancing - for the majority... which is exactly as it should and indeed NEEDS to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Hi Quick question , I am cocooning since March and my doctor has signed me off work until 15 on June, can my job force me to come back to work if my doctors signs me off.

mcko wrote: »
    Hi Quick question , I am cocooning since March and my doctor has signed me off work until 15 on June, can my job force me to come back to work if my doctors signs me off.

No. The advice is still to for at risk categories to cocoon. I don't think they could force you to go back to work but they may keep you on 350 euro payment. Depends on your sickness policy, really, I have 6 months full sick pay and 6 months half pay before I would have to go for social welfare assistance. So a bit of a safety net if I was ever to go off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

They can motor on this an extension if they want. Myself and the vast majority of the country have complied fully since early March. I will not be continuing as is for another 3 weeks if these numbers continue to fall as they have been for the last number of days/weeks.

Yep, this seems to be the more widespread, common sense attitude anecdotally I am seeing too. The people are the ones that chose to follow the guidance to lockdown which has in effect given a holiday to the health system the past two months. People and businesses are clued in enough to see that good social distancing and hygiene practices are needed so will get out and about more using their own brains over the coming weeks. We will hopefully see a snowball effect with people seeing others out and about and then getting out themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

No. The advice is still to for at risk categories to cocoon. I don't think they could force you to go back to work but they may keep you on 350 euro payment. Depends on your sickness policy, really, I have 6 months full sick pay and 6 months half pay before I would have to go for social welfare assistance. So a bit of a safety net if I was ever to go off.

That's some policy. Do you mind me asking where you work ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've got the same, but I'm the only one in the company (of 10s of thousands) with that sick pay "deal" as my contract goes back 30+ years!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,405 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I would not rule out a 3 week extension and 6 weeks between phases. Not that I would agree with it.

Aside from my scepticism - I understand advice will be given to Govt on Friday in relation to this.

Pulling numbers out of your arse, there!!

Unless there is a sudden rise in cases or unforeseen event, the restrictions will be eased as planned. If said event were to happen, there would be no "three weeks" - if would be indefinite. And as for the six-weeks between phases...? - that's just stupid: the virus has a two-week incubation period. Waiting an extra four weeks is pointless.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Unless there is a sudden rise in cases or unforeseen event, the restrictions will be eased as planned. If said event were to happen, there would be no "three weeks" - if would be indefinite. And as for the six-weeks between phases...? - that's just stupid: the virus has a two-week incubation period. Waiting an extra four weeks is pointless.

I think you should read what I said as very cynical. I think we need to move much quicker to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

They really can't hold back any longer. If so i expect people to start rioting and protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Latest HSE hospital report

As of 8pm last night there were 69 confirmed covid cases in ICU.

Likewise as of 8pm there were 529 confirmed covid patients in acute hospitals.

• Advertisement

I think you should read what I said as very cynical. I think we need to move much quicker to relax.

Fair enough, but when you spout random numbers, you also obscure the cynicism.

HSE but matched my previous NHS benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

NufcNavan wrote: »

Well this is exactly what we were hoping for at this stage - but the next stage as we start relaxing restrictions, we'll need to monitor whether those numbers start accelerating again. Unfortunately there's a 2/3 week lag between when a person gets infected, and when they might need hospitalisation.

So, good morning.

I see that over the last 2 days, with more articles coming out saying "retirement age will be increased for the elderly, tax hikes will be required to pay back for covid payments" people in this thread are starting to lean towards lets get our country back to work rather than lets hide at home and get those new cases down to 10 per day.

Here is something interesting and controversial

Brazil president came out and said "Virus will not kill as many people as unemployment, this is why I do not want to lockdown the country"

It does seem like Bojo supports this

"Boris Johnson's call for Britain's workforce to return to their jobs has been widely criticised as "wrong" this morning, while London's road traffic has soared by 16 per cent compared to last week. "

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-end-lockdown-boris-johnson-new-rules-school/

I think countries are starting to realise (some of them quickly) that lockdowns will bankrupt and create poverty for ALL. All countries now seem to be desperate to get their economy back working, apart from us :(

Not sure I'd quote those two as pillars of economic-political theory rather lying greedy power-hungry parasites to be fair, but I suppose that's judging the source.

It depends on how many deaths you want to pay as the price for said activity, and how unwilling you are to help fund a nation going through a depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good luck to them trying to justify any extension before phase one and dragging phases out any more when our plan is painfully slow as it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The incompetence of the HSE and it's employees are holding the country back from reopening, with every delay more businesses will go bust and it'll be another nail in the coffin of the economy and our future.

As a country we pour money into the HSE, more than most countries, and get nothing but a shambles in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Not sure I'd quote those two as pillars of economic-political theory rather lying greedy power-hungry parasites to be fair, but I suppose that's judging the source.

It depends on how many deaths you want to pay as the price for said activity, and how unwilling you are to help fund a nation going through a depression.

You can quote them or you can quote New Zealand PM, at the end of the day UK people elected Bojo, Brazil people elected Bolsonaro with huge margins. (UK election was a monopoly sort of thing lol)

They make decisions that affect their nations, economically and health wise.

We have non elected officials shutting down our businesses for 5 months. :(

Real question is, if UK deaths in 2020 will be less than 2019, will they be branded as "success story" dealing with the "virus"?

The incompetence of the HSE and it's employees are holding the country back from reopening, with every delay more businesses will go bust and it'll be another nail in the coffin of the economy and our future.

As a country we pour money into the HSE, more than most countries, and get nothing but a shambles in return.

It's a mighty change from #frontlineheroes. Can't wait until people start telling me I'm "lucky" to have a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why would you expect change? It is the same Simon Harris led operation which had votes of confidence calls on him prior to this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a mighty change from #frontlineheroes. Can't wait until people start telling me I'm "lucky" to have a job.

There's a difference between the actual front-line staff, and the bloated, inefficient admin and management behind them.

It's the latter people have problems with, not the former.

Also.. Twitter hashtags are meaningless, as is most of what's spewed on that or Facebook. I wouldn't take that as any indication of support (or lack thereof) anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement