Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

No. The advice is still to for at risk categories to cocoon. I don't think they could force you to go back to work but they may keep you on 350 euro payment. Depends on your sickness policy, really, I have 6 months full sick pay and 6 months half pay before I would have to go for social welfare assistance. So a bit of a safety net if I was ever to go off.

Just to confirm that those who have jobs and have been advised by their consultants/ medical professionals to cocoon are not entitled to the Covid payment of €350 we are entitled to the regular illness benefit only. It’s a sorry situation that a lot of us cocooning find ourselves in at the moment.

Leo Varadkar will claim now and forever more that he was Advised to do so.

And once he can use that word advised he’s covered as far as he sees it and herein lies the whole problem with where we are and how we got here.

What is so different to what anyone in the EU did with the exception of Sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

For someone who likes to quote stats, you are 100% wrong there.

Could you please name another country that went into lockdown in March and still hasnt lifted any restrictions as of today?

As you ll appreciate extending 2km to 5km can not be deemed "lifting restrictions". Although people seem to love to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Leo Varadkar will claim now and forever more that he was Advised to do so.

And once he can use that word advised he’s covered as far as he sees it and herein lies the whole problem with where we are and how we got here.
    So they tick the overreacted box? That's a good thing and much better than being perceived as not having done enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure what criteria you're using here or what expertise you bring to these observations. Most people tend to wait till a project finishes before a review, not start in the middle of one. It means less of an enthusiasm to finger point and usually more reflection on future strategies. We'll be awash with reviews and reports after the end of this. Even the CMO seems very open to a review of how they approached it.

Leo Varadkar was on prime time not so long ago and when questioned regarding the nursing homes he threw Dr Holohan under the bus.

It’s a pass the responsibility to someone else in the hope that nobody will have to responsible or accountable for anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Could you please name another country that went into lockdown in March and still hasnt lifted any restrictions as of today?

As you ll appreciate extending 2km to 5km can not be deemed "lifting restrictions". Although people seem to love to think so.

I’ll go better than that. I’ll name a country that is not in a ‘lockdown’. Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Leo Varadkar was on prime time not so long ago and when questioned regarding the nursing homes he threw Dr Holohan under the bus.

It’s a pass the responsibility to someone else in the hope that nobody will have to responsible or accountable for anything

And the irony is, Simon Harris was thrown under the bus and regarded as the figurehead for the CervicalCheck scandal by an outraged public, when in reality Dr.Holohan didn't want him to conduct an external review precisely to safe his own arse.

And now, Holohan is close to getting a statue made of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stheno wrote: »
    End to end is still an average of 9 days for test, results and contact tracing, five days for test results (and that's a median and includes hospital lab results which are virtually same day) and four on average for contact tracing.
    Sure, but it improving all the time. If it was taking nine days to complete the process end to end in March, we'd have been amazed. At that point it was taking more than nine days just to get a bloody result back.

My point is that there's no "scandal" here. There will be questions to be asked about why it took so long to ramp up when South Korea were apparently on top of this inside two weeks.
    But we already kind of know the answer - S.K. were coming from a much higher base, with better healthcare facilities, better procedures and more health funding.
    We had to start from a low base where so much of our testing capacity was outsourced and our healthcare provision in disarray. The turnaround has been fairly remarkable, but the time it's taken is a black mark on the mismanagement of health for decades up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Dont be nervous and dont be worried or scared.

It absolutely assuages any fears I might have had that a complete nobody on the internet assures me things will be just fine.

Thank you so much.

Nursing homes are an issue worldwide. Very hard to keep it out of there and just as hard to make sure that they are all doing what they should be doing to support that. There are regular issues in that sector in normal times, with overall standards and staffing levels.

• Advertisement

Madrid and Barcelona are still in lockdown - a far tougher lockdown than we ever faced

What is so different to what anyone in the EU did with the exception of Sweden?

It’s the passing of responsibility for decisions I’m in about not what was or wasn’t done.

Leo is the leader of the country and should be strong enough to make decisions and standby them whatever they may be whether over or under cautious and not hide behind the I was advised excuse.

It’s the passing of responsibility for decisions I’m in about not what was or wasn’t done.

Leo is the leader of the country and should be strong enough to make decisions and standby them whatever they may be whether over or under cautious and not hide behind the I was advised excuse.
    He has a different perspective being a doctor and caution would be the default position. He also understands the advice.

Not wanting to defend, as there are lots of things I both think should have been done better and should still be done better including a quicker and more detailed relaxation, where have anyone in Government said they are not responsible?

Not wanting to defend, as there are lots of things I both think should have been done better and should still be done better including a quicker and more detailed relaxation, where have anyone in Government said they are not responsible?

Not disregarding your opinion but in general and not just during this crisis

Government and politicians in general are only responsible when things happen with a good outcome. It’s never their fault if there’s someone to be held accountable.

[/B]

Not disregarding your opinion but in general and not just during this crisis

Government and politicians in general are only responsible when things happen with a good outcome. It’s never their fault if there’s someone to be held accountable.
    Accountable really gets bandied about a lot, usually as method to show contempt for selected entities. What's your version of it?

Accountable really gets bandied about a lot, usually as method to show contempt for selected entities. What's your version of it?

Decisions don’t make themselves so someone has to take responsibility/owenership /accountability/ blame whatever you want to call it.

Anyway we’re heading off on a different tangent here and best get back on topic.

Madrid and Barcelona are still in lockdown - a far tougher lockdown than we ever faced

Those arent countries I am afraid.

I appreciate the response though, thats what we should do in Ireland and lockdown only certain big cities/affected regions rather than shutting down Kerry etc where there might not even be 1 active case.

It absolutely assuages any fears I might have had that a complete nobody on the internet assures me things will be just fine.

Thank you so much.

You are welcome. Remember to stay positive. All bad things are temporary

"CZECH REPUBLIC RELAXES MASK-WEARING RULES

The Czech government announced that as of May 25 people will no longer be required to wear face masks outdoors as long as they maintain a distance of two meters from others."

I do have to note I heard Tony H doesnt believe we need to make masks mandatory. One of those rare ones where Tony speaks a lot of concrete sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

He has a different perspective being a doctor and caution would be the default position. He also understands the advice.

my take is different

tony holohan CMO of the HSE
    simon harris - current minister for health
    leo vardakar - former minister for health

the government lock down policy is so the health system does not collapse.
    our hospitals and state nursing homes are so poorly run and funded we are told we could not have done the Swedish way.
    i think the 3 names above are covering their own asses

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Our friend Tony wont be making face masks mandatory in public.

On Ryanair flights masks + temperature checks before boarding will be necessary.

Some crazy survey from GAA club member association says players dont want to return to action until a vaccine is found.
    Ryanair are a private company, they can change the T&Cs of carriage easily. No one is being forced to travel with Ryanair.

What's wrong with GAA wanting to wait?
    Are you disparaging peoples opinions?

Tenger wrote: »
    Ryanair are a private company, they can change the T&Cs of carriage easily. No one is being forced to travel with Ryanair.

What's wrong with GAA wanting to wait?
    Are you disparaging peoples opinions?

Not at all.

I just find it odd that GAA players are wiling to wait for 3- 5 years before playing as vaccines need to be tested etc over some period of time. Assuming such vaccine will be developed in the first place (no human coronavirus vaccine has ever been developed in the past)

You are correct about Ryanair, doesnt seem like mask will be "mandatory"

RYANAIR RECOMMENDS WEARING FACE MASKS ON PLANES

Irish budget airline Ryanair is to recommend that all passengers wear face masks on board when it reopens 40 percent of its route network on July 1, the company announced today, according to Reuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Not at all.

I just find it odd that GAA players are wiling to wait for 3- 5 years before playing as vaccines need to be tested etc over some period of time. Assuming such vaccine will be developed in the first place (no human coronavirus vaccine has ever been developed in the past)

Irish budget airline Ryanair is to recommend that all passengers wear face masks on board when it reopens 40 percent of its route network on July 1, the company announced today, according to Reuters.
    Won't all this stuff need to settle down.

When childcare reopens, they won't be able too use PPE or maintain social distance, unless we're not finished messing with the psyche of the current cohort of tweenies. And we won't be able to close a place every time a child has a temperature and a cough, and isolate all the families linked to it.

Public transport can't work with social distance. It just requires people to crowd in. Ditto, planes with empty seats.

And the economy can't be stopped forever. Add up the three, and that's where we have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not at all.

No human coronavirus vaccine has ever been developed and the bovine coronavirus vaccine is a weakened live virus vaccine which is unsuitable for those most likely to get severe coronavirus symptoms such as having weak immune systems.

Gaelic footballers should be fine if they contract covid 19 as they are young and fit, but obviously its friends and family with underlying conditions they need to fear spreading it to.

And what's the point of sport without spectators you'd wonder. At this stage spectator sport is a luxury and will probably reopen last if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You need a disclaimer on your posts that you are an anti-vaxxer.

We haven't needed a coronavirus vaccine before. Several were in development for SARS and MERS, and funding dried up because they were no longer needed. The Oxford vaccine which is probably leading the race in human trials is a repurposed MERS vaccine, they just had to switch the target to Covid.

We'll know if one of the many vaccines work within the next few months, and if it does it should be available within 18 months all going well. I can see why people may make the decision to hold off on resuming optional risky activities (e.g. sports) while we wait to see if a vaccine is on the horizon, or if this is something we need to live with long term.

Won't all this stuff need to settle down.

When childcare reopens, they won't be able too use PPE or maintain social distance, unless we're not finished messing with the psyche of the current cohort of tweenies. And we won't be able to close a place every time a child has a temperature and a cough, and isolate all the families linked to it.

Public transport can't work with social distance. It just requires people to crowd in. Ditto, planes with empty seats.

And the economy can't be stopped forever. Add up the three, and that's where we have to go.

Air travel is likely to be more expensive for next five years. That's expected. Public transport might increase number of runs per day to allow for a limited capacity. While when the times, I'm likely to be working in office fifty fifty. I have preexisting medical conditions so I'll cycle to work over public transport tbh. Our idea of normal is likely to drastically change for next few years and not limited to Ireland.

seamus wrote: »
    Turnaround times are being addressed. They're down to 2-4 days. Still 36 hours too slow, but a lot better than a month ago. And they're improving all the time.

I'm not sure what nursing home scandal you're referring to. If you're talking about the claim that covid-positive people were transferred to uninfected nursing homes, then that has been debunked.

This is just parroting HSE propaganda.

In reality there is wide divergence in turn arounds from 2 days up to 7 days at a minimum.

What has not been debunked is lack of PPE in nursing homes, the little help the HSE gave with staffing and the poaching of staff by the HSE from nursing homes before the supposed surge. Whistleblowers and Nursing home owners have pointed out these issues.

hmmm wrote: »

We haven't needed a coronavirus vaccine before. Several were in development for SARS and MERS, and funding dried up because they were no longer needed. The Oxford vaccine which is probably leading the race in human trials is a repurposed MERS vaccine, they just had to switch the target to Covid.

We'll know if one of the many vaccines work within the next few months, and if it does it should be available within 18 months all going well. I can see why people may make the decision to hold off on resuming optional risky activities (e.g. sports) while we wait to see if a vaccine is on the horizon, or if this is something we need to live with long term.

Where did you get this from?

Do you understand the difference between someone opposed to a rushed and relatively untested vaccine and one that has been tested and shown to work and be safe?

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »

I love these attacks on me once in a while. Anti-vaxxer etc.

Harsh. But I am ok as I know pro economic brigade got my back.

I agree, GAA players are in a predicament, they dont really get paid that much, so they have very little incentive to accept additional covid risk if they live with people who are at risk groups.

I think what will happen is mass testing will be rolled out, the sort of testing that gives you results in a matter of hours and then they ll proceed to play if they test negative. (sometime towards end of this year)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement