Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Looks to me like Tony is trying to pull the same stunt again.. Few days out from the easing of restrictions and here come the "warnings"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/we-have-more-work-to-do-says-dr-holohan-as-covid-19-deaths-rise-by-24-999124.html

He can fook off at this stage. I for one have had enough and will be ignoring any extensions (which is not the same as not still taking sensible precautions) and getting back to some sort of normality.

I doubt I'll be the only one.

I have always doubted anything changing on the 18th.
    When there is no opposition to the restrictions the easy option is to continue extending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The virus thats as dangerous as influenza?

Thatta boy Fintan. Keep peddaling.
    When there is no opposition to the restrictions the easy option is to continue extending them.

Theres Gemma but the boards group dont want to help her save Ireland :(

pjohnson wrote: »

Someone needs to move forward, Pal.
    I'm not sure if starving to death is a better fate than Covid 19

Someone needs to move forward, Pal.
    I'm not sure if starving to death is a better fate than Covid 19

Youre missing restaurants that much? Quite a leap into hyperbole :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Lets retire Tony now and ease off some ot the restrictions before we all go insane at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Looks to me like Tony is trying to pull the same stunt again.. Few days out from the easing of restrictions and here come the "warnings"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/we-have-more-work-to-do-says-dr-holohan-as-covid-19-deaths-rise-by-24-999124.html

He can fook off at this stage. I for one have had enough and will be ignoring any extensions (which is not the same as not still taking sensible precautions) and getting back to some sort of normality.

I’ve been out and about the past few days. Even to neighboring counties. The lockdown is all but over- the amount of trucks and vans on the road is a joy to behold. And no ridiculous Garda checkpoints either.
    Garden centre about 25km away that I always go to is open fully and I was delighted to get into them and spend some money. By the crowds there so was everyone else. Doing a roaring trade and everyone was buying lots. Social distancing etc very well managed. There is no reason in the wide earthly world the rest can’t do the same tmoro. It’s solely belligerence and nanny statism preventing it. Anyone that can please get out and support local businesses now- other people’s livelihoods are depending on it.

Lets retire Tony now and ease off some ot the restrictions before we all go insane at this stage.

Who is still watching this dithering clown let alone listening to him?

road_high wrote: »

I did miss you from this thread. Always good to whip things up when it got quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Varadkar and Co. That's the problem.

He/they might be weak and leading an outdoing Government (in part exactly for these same reasons), but they have still largely abdicated most of the responsibility and decisions to Tony and his group.

Theres Gemma but the boards group dont want to help her save Ireland :(

Not Gemma types at all - some very surprising opposition to this crap now- particularly amongst older generations who fear for their pensions and kids futures.
    There’s a palpable kick back evident- people are essentially voting with their feet/wheels now. And businesses are responding accordingly. And More power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The negative impact this has have been having on our children has been seriously underplayed and neglected.

We have one of the highest instances for only children families & these children have been completely isolated from their peers since mid-March.
    Playing with their friends is a core & necessary component of every child’s development, mental health, and learning - not to mention the education they’ve missed out on.
    It’s a role parents cannot fill, no matter how badly they might want to help their child.
    Children need to be around other children, whether that be friends at school, siblings/cousins or after school activities, and depriving them of this is extremely harsh.

These kids have been completely isolated since mid March and it might be another month before they’re allowed to be among other children again.
    Now a number of schools have come out stating they might not be able to reopen in September as their classrooms are too small to incorporate social distancing.

This is absolutely scandalous and unacceptable. These kids are suffering and have sacrificed enough.
    I have heard from relatives and friends that their kids have become withdrawn, lethargic and sad these last few weeks. They aren’t themselves.
    This might be worth it if it was for the greater good to protect our citizens but that isn’t the case.
    With 10 counties reporting 0 new cases one day earlier this week it’s clear that these measures are both overreaching & unnecessary.

Schools have to reopen in September. This can’t go on any longer. I hope your son is feeling better.

Brilliant post. If only this could be read by Tony and Leo etc. It’s incredible how disproportionate this lock down has become. Our so called leaders seem to be in cloud cuckoo land with regards to the effect on children. After the immense cowardice displayed on cancelling the leaving cert I have great fear they will buckle on a September school restart. Under no circumstances should we as a people accept that. School is not just education it’s a character building foundation and is the Center piece of our children’s future. I can empathise as to how that boy feels. My own kids are completely lost in themselves. No sport with friends, no birthday parties , no general play, no intermingling etc. There’s only so much a mother and father can do to compensate this loss. It’s all very unnatural and way over the top to deal with a virus slightly more lethal than a strong flu.

I did miss you from this thread. Always good to whip things up when it got quiet.

Cheers. Been busy the past few days, out and about with work etc. Great to be back to some real life normality rather than arguing about it on here.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Brilliant post. If only this could be read by Tony and Leo etc. It’s incredible how disproportionate this lock down has become. Our so called leaders seem to be in cloud cuckoo land with regards to the effect on children. After the immense cowardice displayed on cancelling the leaving cert I have great fear they will buckle on a September school restart. Under no circumstances should we as a people accept that. School is not just education it’s a character building foundation and is the Center piece of our children’s future. I can empathise as to how that boy feels. My own kids are completely lost in themselves. No sport with friends, no birthday parties , no general play, no intermingling etc. There’s only so much a mother and father can do to compensate this loss. It’s all very unnatural and way over the top to deal with a virus slightly more lethal than a strong flu.

I blame a lot on paschal Donohoe- the man is a wet blanket- he’s supposed to be finance minister and should be warming about the grave consequences of this. Obviously not able for the others moralising and nanny statism

Cheers. Been busy the past few days, out and about with work etc. Great to be back to some real life normality rather than arguing about it on here.

Cool. Just remember dont come back here crying if things get extended then ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

They'll never get the country to lockdown again

They might bring in a few restrictions but they only get one throw of the dice

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Theres a lovely symmetry between the case numbers dropping down below 200 and the comparisons to flu reappearing in these threads.

When everyone starts flouting regulations and the numbers skyrocket again the comparisons will disappear for a while, sunrise.. sunset.

More Precautions = Less cases, less deaths. Who would have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sinn Fein statement incoming. Yes sure any day now. It will not devolve from Michelle in NI. They are different, But MLMD is the boss. LOL

What a joke. Thanks be to God they just got the publicity for their moron candidates here who could either sing rebel songs or decided not to pay their rent and are anti vaxers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

It is so so wrong how young kids have been treated in all of this. They are still being treated like vectors and superspreaders, when in reality they have had less contact with anyone including the over 70s.

We're doing ok keeping ours in shape but the sadness in my 10 yr old is growing by the day. It's awful to witness and we're now close to arranging playdates for them, but necessarily in secret and with like minded parents. Perhaps there's a risk, but it's now worth it. It's so unnatural what's being done to them, and still with no visibility as to when they may be able to play properly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sinn Fein statement incoming. Yes sure any day now. It will not devolve from Michelle in NI. They are different, But MLMD is the boss. LOL

What a joke. Thanks be to God they just got the publicity for their moron candidates here who could either sing rebel songs or decided not to pay their rent and are anti vaxers.

Wrong thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Not Gemma types at all - some very surprising opposition to this crap now- particularly amongst older generations who fear for their pensions and kids futures.
    There’s a palpable kick back evident- people are essentially voting with their feet/wheels now. And businesses are responding accordingly. And More power to them.

It’s interesting. Many people here are saying ease quicker and with care - but then we are accused of putting lives at risk. We mention Denmark, New Zealand and Germany and the get accused of supporting the U.K., US and Brazil positions, we question why contact tracing is still not there and we are told the HSE is doing its best and we are nearly there; and if we point out the nursing home problem we are told this was the case everywhere.

I have said it before but when comments from the likes of Fintan O’Toole and Dan O’Brien are raising serious questions around governance then there is something wrong. And thankfully Tony has indicated that he is open to an enquiry when this is done - nice to hear that he does not believe that his decisions should not be open to question after we are through this.

• Advertisement

The virus thats as dangerous as influenza?
    Mate. It's about 5 times more mortality than flu. I'm expecting it's true mortality rate to be about 0.5%.

If you can find me one peer reviewed paper that says that it had an expected true fatality rate of 0.1% (seasonal flu). I'll close my account.

But you won"t because you are lying and/or can't understand primary evidence.

Not the prime minister of Sweden anyway

Mate. It's about 5 times more mortality than flu. I'm expecting it's true mortality rate to be about 0.5%.

If you can find me one peer reviewed paper that says that it had an expected true fatality rate of 0.1% (seasonal flu). I'll close my account.

But you won"t because you are lying.

Flu is not a notifiable illness in most countries across the globe.
    Flu deaths can be assumed using excess deaths. Those excess deaths are often in the hundreds of thousands in Europe.

Tbf some still cant understand how we somehow didn't achieve the worst case scenarios!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

But you won"t because you are lying and/or stupid.

Ok, so during the flu (0.1%) our economy is a monster truck, unstoppable.

During covid (0.5%) we lockdown, create 30% unemployment, lose 10,000 + jobs permanently (probably up to 100,000 in the end) and let our children go uneducated for the better part of 6 months?

Something does not add up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And when you think about, these sort of numbers are never publicised during the year, except when we are told of people on trolleys in hospitals. How are we to know that the figures he mentions are exceptionally high and of concern, or actually par for the course?

It'd be like someone saying 27 foxes got run over and killed by a car in the first quarter of this year. Wow, but wait is that normal, above average or exceptionally high?

Cool. Just remember dont come back here crying if things get extended then ok?

I honestly don’t care. If they want to “extend it” let them off. But they won’t because money is talking as it is always does and they can’t afford to extend the welfare payments meaning they can’t keep it going much longer if ditherers like Holohan would like to. It’s coming to an organic end

Tbf some still cant understand how we somehow didn't achieve the worst case scenarios!

Im sure the Swedish PM is one of those

I honestly don’t care. If they want to “extend it” let them off. But they won’t because money is talking as it is always does and they can’t afford to extend the welfare payments meaning they can’t keep it going much longer if ditherers like Holohan would like to. It’s coming to an organic end
    Cool then.

• Advertisement

Flu is not a notifiable illness in most countries across the globe.
    Flu deaths can be assumed using excess deaths. Those excess deaths are often in the hundreds of thousands in Europe.

So you don't have any evidence for your bold statement. Also, it is notifiable here and in the UK.

https://www.hpsc.ie/notifiablediseases/listofnotifiablediseases/

Now, I ask again, where is the evidence for your bold statement?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement