Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So you don't think an effective vaccine would be a panacea? What's the solution then, chief?:pac:

We may never discover an effective vaccine. It may not even work effectively across the whole population. My solution is get on with life. People that need to or feel they need to can self isolate forever. The rest of us must return to normal life and commerce to pay for all the good and essential things like a health service which we currently enjoy. If this lockdown foreva lark goes on much longer then the price must be vastly reduced standards of living, reduced life expectancy, reduced everything. Ms oneill is off her trolley but in typical SF fashion is completely detached from normal economic and social realities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Some people just love talking about misery. She is talking nonsense. We will collectively have given up social distancing way before then.

“staying apart even in gatherings”. Jesus. How can she even think that we would do that. She can’t be that smart and her comments are not exact helpful in encouraging our behaviour today

And you might know it was RTE that reported her “ speech”

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Micky 32 wrote: »
    And you might know it was RTE that reported her “ speech”

No doubt lapping it up. Claire Byrne and George lee would be salivating at the mouth at such prospects.
    She makes Arlene foster look like a completely rational politician with this kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

rusty cole wrote: »
    so no night clubs

There won't be any night clubs for a long time.

If anything is certain it's that. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

There won't be any night clubs for a long time.

If anything is certain it's that. :pac:

It’s a long time since i was at a niteclub anyway ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

rusty cole wrote: »
    so no night clubs, no picking up random strangers, no social interactions of any kind...well that worked out well for priests!!! mental!! never happen, barely hanging on as it is. this would really be the stuff of 1984!!

Comparisons to 1984 are usually overblown but the requirements being asked of society now are certainly Orwellian. An entire generation of people are now being asked to become hermits at the most active and adventurous point in their lives; you might as well start using the term "sex crime" to describe any sort of intimacy. Certainly the way people engaging in normal social behaviour are being dehumanised and eviscerated by public health vigilantes (as if none of them could possibly be smart enough to be aware of any risks) will leave a lasting impression in people's heads for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

SusieBlue wrote: »
    The negative impact this has have been having on our children has been seriously underplayed and neglected.

We have one of the highest instances for only children families & these children have been completely isolated from their peers since mid-March.
    Playing with their friends is a core & necessary component of every child’s development, mental health, and learning - not to mention the education they’ve missed out on.
    It’s a role parents cannot fill, no matter how badly they might want to help their child.
    Children need to be around other children, whether that be friends at school, siblings/cousins or after school activities, and depriving them of this is extremely harsh.

These kids have been completely isolated since mid March and it might be another month before they’re allowed to be among other children again.
    Now a number of schools have come out stating they might not be able to reopen in September as their classrooms are too small to incorporate social distancing.

This is absolutely scandalous and unacceptable. These kids are suffering and have sacrificed enough.
    I have heard from relatives and friends that their kids have become withdrawn, lethargic and sad these last few weeks. They aren’t themselves.
    This might be worth it if it was for the greater good to protect our citizens but that isn’t the case.
    With 10 counties reporting 0 new cases one day earlier this week it’s clear that these measures are both overreaching & unnecessary.

Schools have to reopen in September. This can’t go on any longer. I hope your son is feeling better.

+++1.
    One child family here, little 5 year old girl who was getting on so well in Montessori, looking forward to starting school in September. It was so lonely for her. We lasted until the original “deadline” (May 5th) but we decided (as did many neighbours, friends, extended family) that enough was enough at that stage.

She now occasionally mixes with a couple of local friends her own age - outdoors - we’re so lucky the weather has been good. And she’s been to visit her cousins.

Tony and co can say whatever he likes. He lost me weeks ago with the speaking to us like children tactics and generally blaming the general public for his own organisation’s failings. I’ve stopped listening and I think I’m far from alone.

Lock me up and throw away the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Jaysus Michelle O’Neill is painting a gloomy picture.

“People in Northern Ireland will have to abide by social distancing measures for a number of years “

“We will be socially distancing for a number of years, we will be staying apart even in gatherings for a number of years i believe “ “Until a vaccine is available we’ll have to live with some restrictions”

Years...jfc..there comes a point when people will come to accept a massive increase in annual excess death over life completely stopping for a significant part of their lifespan

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

You can totally empathize with Tony holohon and his staunch refusal to lift restrictions. The lower he keeps those numbers, the easier his job is.

They're effectively taking the easy route, not managing, not thinking creatively, just fvcking shutting the country down.

At some point the gombeens in power need to step in though, and actually start seeing the bigger picture.

We all got a glimmer of hope with the roadmap until we quickly realized it was another method of procrastination.

At what stage do they start putting an ounce of trust in the HSE to do what their job is? Instead of not even putting them to the test, at the cost of crippling the country for generations.

Complete incompetent cowards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

I will be queuing up for the virus if much more of this nonsense goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

road_high wrote: »
    We may never discover an effective vaccine. It may not even work effectively across the whole population. My solution is get on with life. People that need to or feel they need to can self isolate forever. The rest of us must return to normal life and commerce to pay for all the good and essential things like a health service which we currently enjoy. If this lockdown foreva lark goes on much longer then the price must be vastly reduced standards of living, reduced life expectancy, reduced everything. Ms oneill is off her trolley but in typical SF fashion is completely detached from normal economic and social realities.

You know the list for this:

Anyone working in a hospital
    Anyone working in a nursing home
    The elderly
    Those with underlying health problems.

I am not saying we have to continue a lockdown but large gathering and stuff like that is in the future by October probably at the earliest. A controlled easing is the only way to go. If we do not do that then the health service you want could get overstretched and then what

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

“People in Northern Ireland will have to abide by social distancing measures for a number of years “

“We will be socially distancing for a number of years, we will be staying apart even in gatherings for a number of years i believe “ “Until a vaccine is available we’ll have to live with some restrictions”

She should be fired for fear mongering like this, no hope from a hopeless politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You can totally empathize with Tony holohon and his staunch refusal to lift restrictions. The lower he keeps those numbers, the easier his job is.

They're effectively taking the easy route, not managing, not thinking creatively, just fvcking shutting the country down.

At some point the gombeens in power need to step in though, and actually start seeing the bigger picture.

We all got a glimmer of hope with the roadmap until we quickly realized it was another method of procrastination.

At what stage do they start putting an ounce of trust in the HSE to do what their job is? Instead of not even putting them to the test, at the cost of crippling the country for generations.

Complete incompetent cowards.

At if it did get 2 overwhelmed then what?

Look we have a roadmap it is starting Monday, a few countries at the moment such as Germany are wondering if they have moved 2 fast with certain restrictions

We all want to get back to our lives again but I rather do it with all of my relatives around me thanks very much. I have gone through losing 1 to a bad illness and seeing what it does I don't want to do that anytime soon or at all if I could

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

So from May 18th is there no longer any 5km limit to travel/non-essential travel?
    if you are going to your friend for an "outdoor meet-up" over other side of the city is that fine?
    You're not going be asked where you're going on transport etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

showpony1 wrote: »
    So from May 18th is there no longer any 5km limit to travel/non-essential travel?
    if you are going to your friend for an "outdoor meet-up" over other side of the city is that fine?
    You're not going be asked where you're going on transport etc?

5km limit is in place until June 8th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

SNNUS wrote: »
    She should be fired for fear mongering like this, no hope from a hopeless politician.

If here and other sites are anything to go by, seems like a good percentage of people want to hear this nonsense. She's just being a poilitican and playing to the audience I suppose. No doubt she'll change her tune when the tide starts to majorly turn, the process has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,637 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Worrying symptoms? Anxiety I imagine at being surrounded by idiots who should know better than to keep them off school for no reason

Extensive Qualifications and several years working in areas of expertise would certainly be no match to an anonymous username and a Boards account. I'll give you that.

I know when I need medical attention which opinion I would trust more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

hmmm wrote: »
    What would you like to hear? Congratulations on putting it up to "the man"?

There's a dangerous virus circulating which we can just about control, and we can choose to either act like adults and take some personal responsibility and act in the national interest, or act like children who've been told "no" by their parents. If our ICUs start to fill up with patients, you need to take responsibility for potentially contributing to this. You don't get to blame anyone else for taking these risks.

And no, I don't particularly care if your feelings are upset by this.

Couldn’t care less what you think buddy. I wasn’t addressing you or asking for your approval.

SNNUS wrote: »
    I will be queuing up for the virus if much more of this nonsense goes on.

Said like a person who hasn't seen how bad this virus can affect a person.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Said like a person who hasn't seen how bad this virus can affect a person.:rolleyes:
    He doesn't care - he thinks it won't affect him. That's a problem for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

For the love of god...that sort of nonsense talk is almost has bad as the stuff Trump comes out with on the opposite side.
    There is a lot of stuff being spoken about in the media that is going completely unquestioned. The idea that children will social distance in school, that sport can't be played, new intimate relationships can't be formed etc. And no one is calling it out for what it is. Commentators are afraid to say it...that social distancing is not the answer we are all looking for. You cannot implement social distancing for everything until a vaccine and you cannot live in a world where children dont play, people don't have sex and there is no physical exchange between people in a sporting scenario.
    Crèches are the main one that comes to mind. I heard an interview last week with a lady that runs a creche and nearly all the questions were about higher insurance costs, standards of hygiene and lower numbers. Barely one word spoken about the blindingly obvious issue that you cannot social distance yourself from a baby/ toddler so all the first questions asked are irrelevant!!!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    +++1.
    One child family here, little 5 year old girl who was getting on so well in Montessori, looking forward to starting school in September. It was so lonely for her. We lasted until the original “deadline” (May 5th) but we decided (as did many neighbours, friends, extended family) that enough was enough at that stage.

She now occasionally mixes with a couple of local friends her own age - outdoors - we’re so lucky the weather has been good. And she’s been to visit her cousins.

Tony and co can say whatever he likes. He lost me weeks ago with the speaking to us like children tactics and generally blaming the general public for his own organisation’s failings. I’ve stopped listening and I think I’m far from alone.

Lock me up and throw away the keys.

You shouldn't be locked up but you are doing a disservice to your child putting her at risk. It's your own choice but I certainly wouldn't put my own child at risk the way you are.

I'm sure you'll blame the HSE if any harm does come their way. A lot of people on this thread seem to have issues with personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You shouldn't be locked up but you are doing a disservice to your child putting her at risk. It's your own choice but I certainly wouldn't put my own child at risk the way you are.

I'm sure you'll blame the HSE if any harm does come their way. A lot of people on this thread seem to have issues with personal responsibility.
    "Tony made me do it, it wasn't my fault". Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile the rest of us will have to endure more restrictions because of the selfish actions of a few, as we try to keep the spread low.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This post is disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Couldn’t care less what you think buddy. I wasn’t addressing you or asking for your approval.

Take no notice, you have done nothing wrong.
    The conditions we have expected the children to live under have been nothing short of a cruelty and with daily numbers at 0 in some counties it’s no longer justified.

The wellbeing of your child is obviously of paramount concern and expecting a little one to go 4/5 months without any contact with other children is appalling and I would assume anyone arguing in favour of it has no experience with children or of their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If he is under 70 with a normal immune system and no severe or chronic underlying conditions including obesity its very very unlikely it will be anything other than a mild or asymptomatic reaction to it. Most deaths, ICU admissions and hospitalisations are in a specific at risk category, usually with chronic underlying conditions.

For every person who dies and who was very likely just months or weeks from death anyways because of other chronic conditions, 199 others survive. Many may well have even been terminally ill already, particurly in nursing homes where end of life interventions are minimal or non existent.

As for his actions infecting others, that's like blaming all car drivers for road accidents they have nothing to do with or shaming people to stay off the roads. We can't live our lives like this.

This post is disturbing

Is it not reasonable to assume his actions are putting his child at risk? I'm just stating facts. I certainly wouldn't do that with my child. Maybe other other parents care less.

Economy>all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I guess that'll be three hail Marys for penance then father?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Doesn't take much to cause domino effect; one guy, 3 nightclubs in fact

https://twitter.com/ChrisRHood/status/1260352973101645824

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement