Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

hmmm wrote: »
    "Tony made me do it, it wasn't my fault". Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile the rest of us will have to endure more restrictions because of the selfish actions of a few, as we try to keep the spread low.

Yep the old east Berlin attitude is starting to rear it's head. The good, loyal citizens vs the evil dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You shouldn't be locked up but you are doing a disservice to your child putting her at risk. It's your own choice but I certainly wouldn't put my own child at risk the way you are.

I'm sure you'll blame the HSE if any harm does come their way. A lot of people on this thread seem to have issues with personal responsibility.

I don’t believe I am. In fact I think I am doing exactly the opposite to what you suggest. I AM taking some personal responsibility, I am not waiting for Leo to hold my hand.

I can’t understand why some people are incapable of assessing relative risk on their own turf without relying on the Nanny state. How is it going to be any less risky in 1, 2, 6 weeks time (the completely arbitrary dates that Leo / Tony / NPHET have dictated) than it is now? There’s a 250k+ total population in my county. And from that total, approx 350 confirmed cases since this started, the vast majority of whom have probably long recovered. To my mind I’m in greater danger of getting bitten by a Rattle snake than contracting this virus in my locality.

So for the sake of my sanity and more importantly my child’s wellbeing, we are getting our lives back to some normality while of course exercising a degree of common sense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Is it not reasonable to assume his actions are putting his child at risk? I'm just stating facts. I certainly wouldn't do that with my child. Maybe other other parents care less.

Economy>all

I'm a father and I disagree with 90% the Govt are doing but I wouldn't let me child mix with other kids at minute.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I don’t believe I am. In fact I think I am doing exactly the opposite to what you suggest. I AM taking some personal responsibility, I am not waiting for Leo to hold my hand.

I can’t understand why some people are incapable of assessing relative risk on their own turf without relying on the Nanny state. How is it going to be any less risky in 1, 2, 6 weeks time (the completely arbitrary dates that Leo / Tony / NPHET have dictated) than it is now? There’s a 250k+ total population in my county. And from that total, approx 350 confirmed cases since this started, the vast majority of whom have probably long recovered. To my mind I’m in greater danger of getting bitten by a Rattle snake than contracting this virus in my locality.

So for the sake of my sanity and more importantly my child’s wellbeing, we are getting our lives back to some normality while of course exercising a degree of common sense.

Ignore those eejits, they're miserable sods and misery loves company. There's nothing wrong with a child socializing if they're in misery over this, which I'm sure many are. Look after yourselves and ignore the usual shower who love to judge and berate people, it's all they have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

I think it's a bit sad that you are trivialising children's deaths for your.... reasons.

Where in any literature has it said that multiple children are dying due to Covid induced Kawasaki disease?

• Advertisement

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Where in any literature has it said that multiple children are dying due to Covid induced Kawasaki disease?

There's been about 400 cases in the ages 0-14 in Ireland without a single fatality. Surely it's enough of a sample to decide that it's less harmful to children, thank God.

JoeA3 wrote: »

The fact that you think that you think you are more likely to get bitten by a rattlesnake in Ireland than catch covid-19 says it all.

The fact that you think that you think you are more likely to get bitten by a rattlesnake in Ireland than catch covid-19 says it all.

Somehow I don't think it was meant literally but don't let that get in the way of your fit of fanaticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

road_high wrote: »
    I honestly don’t care. If they want to “extend it” let them off. But they won’t because money is talking as it is always does and they can’t afford to extend the welfare payments meaning they can’t keep it going much longer if ditherers like Holohan would like to. It’s coming to an organic end

I feel exactly the same. Enough is enough now. I be personally giving tony and co the two fingers to any other extensions he may introduce in the meantime. I am going to do my own thing in a safe manner and I'm not going be stopped either. I wont do anything that will harm anyone but i will use a bit of cop on as well with these restrictions. Some don't make any sense. If I cycle 10km solo outside the zone, who am I harming if i'm not near anyone while on a bike?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Kawasaki+covid-19&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DuO1RBmSE8sMJ

• Advertisement

Not. Enough. Facepalms.

I feel exactly the same. Enough is enough now. I be personally giving tony and co the two fingers to any other extensions he may introduce in the meantime. I am goin to do my own thing in a safe manner and I'm not going be stopped either. I wont do anything that will harm anyone but i will use a bit of cop on as well with these restrictions. Some don't make any sense. If i cycle 10km solo outside the zone, who am i harming if im not near anyone while on a bike?

No one. As far as I can see loads of people have been doing likewise for weeks.

Not a single one of the documents on Google scholar mentioned a fatality other than one in 1967 caused by Kawasaki but I did find this:

A very rough estimation of incidence based on data from Bergamo, Italy, and New York State and a lot assumption is between 0.011%(95% CI: 0.009-0.014%)-0.31%(95% CI: 0.2-0.47%) of infected children.

I feel exactly the same. Enough is enough now. I be personally giving tony and co the two fingers to any other extensions he may introduce in the meantime. I am going to do my own thing in a safe manner and I'm not going be stopped either. I wont do anything that will harm anyone but i will use a bit of cop on as well with these restrictions. Some don't make any sense. If I cycle 10km solo outside the zone, who am I harming if i'm not near anyone while on a bike?

I think some people are convinced there's like a 5km bubble that if they cross, a kitten somewhere dies of covid.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Not a single one of the documents on Google scholar mentioned a fatality other than one in 1967 caused by Kawasaki but I did find this:

A very rough estimation of incidence based on data from Bergamo, Italy, and New York State and a lot assumption is between 0.011%(95% CI: 0.009-0.014%)-0.31%(95% CI: 0.2-0.47%) of infected children.

Kawasaki's disease has a mortality rate of roughly 0.5%. I'm pretty sure there has been more than 200 cases in history.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/kawasaki-disease-clinical-features-and-diagnosis

Kawasaki's disease has a mortality rate of roughly 0.5%. I'm pretty sure there has been more than 200 cases in history.

It's about cases of Kawasaki in children who've contracted covid. If you're going to attach a link at least bloody read the contents first.

It's about cases of Kawasaki in children who've contracted covid. If you're going to attach a link at least bloody read the contents first.

Pretty sure covid-19 wasn't around in 1967.

Pretty sure covid-19 wasn't around in 1967.

No the death in 1967 was from Kawasaki, not covid. That was the only fatality mentioned on the Google scholar link. The quote I attached was in relation to instances of Kawasaki as a result of covid. This really isn't that hard. Go back and read what you yourself attached.

What is the likelihood of multiple children contracting Kawasaki's disease whilst also suffering from covid-19?

From the European report it states only one death in Europe from Kawasaki linked Covid up to end of April out of 100 cases notified.

• Advertisement

What is the likelihood of multiple children contracting Kawasaki's disease whilst also suffering from covid-19?

It was there in the quote I attached in the first place, here it is again, now take your time and read it slowly.

No the death in 1967 was from Kawasaki, not covid. That was the only fatality mentioned on the Google scholar link. The quote I attached was in relation to instances of Kawasaki as a result of covid. This really isn't that hard. Go back and read what you yourself attached.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31094-1/fulltext

From the European report it states only one death in Europe from Kawasaki linked Covid up to end of April out of 100 cases notified.

Kids die from more than Kawasaki's. Spare a thought for the kids with CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

The UK’s Kawasaki Disease Foundation issued a statement on April 28 which included the following:

"Fewer cases of Kawasaki Disease than would be normally expected at this time of year are currently being seen – not more."

https://www.societi.org.uk/kawasaki-disease-and-covid-19/

"For the 9 detailed patients most had incomplete presentation for Kawasaki disease (with a mean 1.7 (+/-1.2) criteria per patient for the 5 non fever criterion) and only one had a classical form"

Out of the 9 studied only one had classical Kawasaki. Out of the 9 if the mean is 1.7 out of the 5 non fever criterion, surely the actual diagnosis could be questioned in many of these cases?

moonage wrote: »
    The UK’s Kawasaki Disease Foundation issued a statement on April 28 which included the following:

"Fewer cases of Kawasaki Disease than would be normally expected at this time of year are currently being seen – not more."

https://www.societi.org.uk/kawasaki-disease-and-covid-19/

That'll soften the cough of the panic merchant above.

Kids die from more than Kawasaki's. Spare a thought for the kids with CF.

Any child with CF should be kept indoors away from other children, nobody is arguing that.

Kawasaki was brought up by you earlier, hence the discussion.

Any child with CF should be kept indoors away from other children, nobody is arguing that.

Kawasaki was brought up by you earlier, hence the discussion.

Hence he made it blindingly obvious he hadn't a clue what to do after linking Google scholar.

It was there in the quote I attached in the first place, here it is again, now take your time and read it slowly.

IF we extrapolate from those figures that say 1 in every 1000 infected child gets kawasaki and the mortality of Kawasaki is less than .5%, the mortality from covid induced kawasaki would be roughly 1/200,000.

• Advertisement

IF we extrapolate from those figures that say 1 in every 1000 infected child gets kawasaki and the mortality of Kawasaki is less than .5%, the mortality from covid induced kawasaki would be roughly 1/200,000.

And yet it was being framed as the bubonic plague 2.0 in a previous page. I understand the situation is scary but people need to develop a bit of perspective.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement