Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    And yet it was being framed as the bubonic plague 2.0 in a previous page. I understand the situation is scary but people need to develop a bit of perspective.

More than perspective. Some compassion also - attacking that man for allowing his child play with other children is off the wall. I think there are people here hoping that the figures go up so that the lock down can continue and they will be proven right.

Let the people get on with things in a careful manner and protect the vulnerable/high risk. If that means dedicated hours in supermarkets and parks etc then great.

Meanwhile the HSE should concentrate on what it is supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Maybe I need an eyesight test, but I saw no case there of a child dying.

It concluded as follows:
    With regards to her COVID-19 infection, our patient’s clinical course and presentation were mild.
    Throughout her hospitalization, she did not have any notable respiratory symptoms and repeat chest x-ray
    was not obtained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

And yet it was being framed as the bubonic plague 2.0 in a previous page. I understand the situation is scary but people need to develop a bit of perspective.

Majority affected with it between ages of 1-4. So even if every child in Ireland was infected with Covid, which is virtually impossible, we might not see one fatality due to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Maybe I need an eyesight test, but I saw no case there of a child dying.

There was one in the European study to be fair.

Should be noted it has a much higher incidence in children of Asian ethnicity.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    There was one in the European study to be fair.

Should be noted it has a much higher incidence in children of Asian ethnicity.

There's been something like 1 million covid cases in Europe and likely over 100,000 children infected. So this puts it into perspective.

The scaremongering has gone off the scale at this stage.

The common flu is likely just as dangerous to children, ie barely at all.

• Advertisement

It's about cases of Kawasaki in children who've contracted covid. If you're going to attach a link at least bloody read the contents first.

He's attached two links where's its clear he hasn't read the contents, including one claiming evidence of mortality in a child who was actually discharged from hospital with mild covid symptoms!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There's been something like 1 million covid cases in Europe and likely over 100,000 children infected. So this puts it into perspective.

The scaremongering has gone off the scale at this stage.

The common flu is likely just as dangerous to children, ie barely at all.

Kawasaki syndrome can happen after any viral illness. the way people are going on youd think it was unique to covid 19 and also, is certain death as well as there being a large chance of children developing it in the first place. None of those are the case. Honestly, the media scare mongering is off the charts at this stage and people are lapping it up. Critical thinking and common sense seem to be falling by the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Use your own common sense.

What do you think is going to happen? Another surge, another lock down. Inevitable.

As soon as you take your foot off you have to put it back down again as in SK...

https://twitter.com/BBCLBicker/status/1260373502256791552

We need a vaccine.

What do you think is going to happen? Another surge, another lock down. Inevitable.

As soon as you take your foot off you have to put it back down again as in SK...

We need a vaccine.

A city or 10 millions where this happened in nightclubs which are like coopers on steroids open illegally with no social distancing. No one is saying we want to open up Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Is it not reasonable to assume his actions are putting his child at risk? I'm just stating facts. I certainly wouldn't do that with my child. Maybe other other parents care less.

Economy>all

Is it also not reasonable to assume that your approach - to keep your child locked in nearly sterile environment will actually endanger your child imune system development due to not being exposed to viruses and bacteria out there?
    Our obsession with cleanlines caused rise of allergies and many other ailments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Take no notice, you have done nothing wrong.
    The conditions we have expected the children to live under have been nothing short of a cruelty and with daily numbers at 0 in some counties it’s no longer justified.

Daily numbers were zero in Donegal for three days in a row...and then three new cases appeared yesterday.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I feel exactly the same. Enough is enough now. I be personally giving tony and co the two fingers to any other extensions he may introduce in the meantime. I am going to do my own thing in a safe manner and I'm not going be stopped either. I wont do anything that will harm anyone but i will use a bit of cop on as well with these restrictions. Some don't make any sense. If I cycle 10km solo outside the zone, who am I harming if i'm not near anyone while on a bike?

...except if you are stopped. You know those checkpoints that you hear about? They're still happening.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

My my, the general tone from boards of life being more important than the economy, applauding the stellar Irish leadership (integrated with the some sniping towards the heartless UK); to one now which is crying about the economy and the tyrannical Dr H is amusing.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Daily numbers were zero in Donegal for three days in a row...and then three new cases appeared yesterday.

The more you test, the more results you get. Do more tests tomorrow and more cases will pop up. That is because according to many virologists it is a mild disease with majority of people never experiencing any symptoms.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    The more you test, the more results you get. Do more tests tomorrow and more cases will pop up. That is because according to many virologists it is a mild disease with majority of people never experiencing any symptoms.

I know this. I quoted a poster who said that, "...with daily numbers at zero in some counties, it's no longer justified." I was pointing out that some of those counties are no longer at zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

We need a vaccine.

We don't need a vaccine we need to get on with life and learn to live with the virus.

kevcos wrote: »
    My my, the general tone from boards of life being more important than the economy, applauding the stellar Irish leadership (integrated with the some sniping towards the heartless UK); to one now which is crying about the economy and the tyrannical Dr H is amusing.

Natural progression given the initial horror stories about end of the life as we know it, millions of dead people and overwhelmed health system. As if it was not overwhelmed before scaremongering started. How else would you call scores of people waiting on trolleys and waiting lists filled for several years in advance. It seems that we are pretty much used to healthcare crysis and overwhelmed hospitals so some additional virus can not do much more of a damage to our system anyway.
    What is amusing is number of people who are dying from fear of some immaginary end of the world. Which ironically can come from worldwide economical suicide lockdowns created.

I know this. I quoted a poster who said that, "...with daily numbers at zero in some counties, it's no longer justified." I was pointing out that some of those counties are no longer at zero.

Well, he is right. A lot of people think it was never justified. Blanket bans tends not to work as intended. It should have been targeted response to protect vulnerable people instead of this nonsense which not helped anyway. You can not keep people in homes and businesses closed for any meaningful time without risk of everything coming crashing down.
    We are going to pay for all of this for a decade at least.

Well, he is right. A lot of people think it was never justified. Blanket bans tends not to work as intended. It should have been targeted response to protect vulnerable people instead of this nonsense which not helped anyway. You can not keep people in homes and businesses closed for any meaningful time without risk of everything coming crashing down.

I think the poster was a 'she'. I didn't say a thing about the rest of your post. I quoted about numbers, not about justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

hmmm wrote: »
    "Tony made me do it, it wasn't my fault". Let's see what happens in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile the rest of us will have to endure more restrictions because of the selfish actions of a few, as we try to keep the spread low.

Yep because it’s the fault of the actions of a few that we STILL haven’t our testing up to speed, that our testing turnaround time is STILL pathetic and that our situation in the nursing and care homes is STILL bordering on criminal.

Your right it is because of the few, but there not the ordinary person on the street theyre up there in front of a desk lecturing to the masses whilst ignoring their own failures.

One thing that’s come out of this pandemic that’s utterly pathetic is how quickly we turn on our own friends and neighbours rather than dare question anyone in authority, it’s like we have been transported back to old catholic Ireland in the 50’s where those in authority rule like kaisers and don’t dare question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

...except if you are stopped. You know those checkpoints that you hear about? They're still happening.

What are they actually going to do?

I'm a father and I disagree with 90% the Govt are doing but I wouldn't let me child mix with other kids at minute.

90% ? Ah come on they at least have a plan and are doing very similar to most countries so what would you do if 90% of what they are doing is wrong.

What are they actually going to do?

One of two things - send you on your way or send you back the way you came. It will probably depend on your attitude and your excuse for travelling. If you are going to have the attitude you posted earlier about, "giving Tony and Co. the two fingers," it will probably be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We don't need a vaccine we need to get on with life and learn to live with the virus.

Yet a lot in this thread seem to be refusing to learn to live with it and are demanding we go back to how things were pre-covid! :D

I am of the view that it was justified. We needed to get on top of things. Now we are on top of things in terms of patient numbers, ICU capacity, the R rate etc. but we cannot accelerate the easing of our restrictions because the HSE has still not sorted the testing and tracing system. Rather than looking at us with disapproval they should be looking at themselves.

For all the people slagging Ireland's approach - here's the views of an English fella about their approach -

* 4 year olds can go to school, but university students who have paid for the tuition they haven’t had and the accommodation they aren’t living in, can’t go to university.

* A teacher can go to school with many 4 year olds that they are not related to, but can’t see one 4 year old that they are related to.

* You can sit in a park, but not tomorrow or Tuesday but by Wednesday that’ll be fine.

* You can meet one person from another household for a chat or to sunbathe, but not two people so if you know two people from another household you have to pick your favourite. Hopefully, you’re also their favourite person from your household or this could be awkward. But possibly you’re not. But as I can’t go closer than 2m to the one you choose anyway you wouldn’t think having the other one sat next to them would matter - unless two people would restrict your eyeline too much and prevent you from being alert.

* You can work all day with your colleagues, but you can’t sit in their garden for a chat after work.

* You can now do unlimited exercise when quite frankly just doing an hour a day feels like you are some kind of fitness guru. I can think of lots of things that I would like to be unlimited but exercise definitely isn’t one of them.

* You can drive to other destinations, although which destinations is unclear.

* The buses are still running past your house, but you shouldn’t get on one. We should just let empty buses drive around so bus drivers aren’t doing nothing.

* It will soon be time to quarantine people coming into the country by air... but not yet. It’s too soon. And not ever if you’re coming from France because... well, I don’t know why, actually. Because the French version of coronavirus wouldn’t come to the UK maybe.

* Our youngest children go back to school first because... they are notoriously good at not touching things they shouldn’t, maintain personal space at all times and never randomly lick you.

* We are somewhere in between 3.5 and 4.5 on a five point scale where 5 is all of the virus and 1 is none of the virus but 2,3 and 4 can be anything you’d like it to be really. Some of the virus? A bit of the virus? Just enough virus to see off those over 70s who were told to self isolate but now we’ve realised that they’ve done that a bit too well despite us offloading coronavirus patients into care homes and now we are claiming that was never said in the first place, even though it’s in writing in the stay at home guidance.

* The slogan isn’t stay at home any more, so we don’t have to stay at home. Except we do. Unless we can’t. In which case we should go out. But there will be fines if we break the rules. So don’t do that.

Don’t forget...

Stay alert... which Robert Jenrick has explained actually means Stay home as much as possible. Obviously.

Control the virus. Well, I can’t even control my dogs and I can actually see them. Plus I know a bit about dogs and very little about controlling viruses.

Save lives. Always preferable to not saving lives, I’d say, so I’ll try my best with that one, although hopefully I don’t need telling to do that. I know I’m bragging now but not NOT saving lives is something I do every day.

So there you are. If you’re the weirdo wanting unlimited exercise then enjoy. But not until Wednesday. Obviously.

That ^^^ is the clarity that they have regarding the easing of restrictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

One of two things - send you on your way or send you back the way you came. It will probably depend on your attitude and your excuse for travelling. If you are going to have the attitude you posted earlier about, "giving Tony and Co. the two fingers," it will probably be the latter.

I wont have tony telling me what i can or can't do after the 18th may. You are probably upset now that your 'stay at home' approach is coming to a close and that everyone is trying to get back to some sort of normality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

We need a vaccine.

Oh god what are they going to do in SK?

They have a death rate of 0.24% from confirmed cases and they can't have caught every single case, so it's probably closer to 0.10% death rate there than 0.20%

Media is loving that super spreader but with those numbers he probably won't have done any damage in terms of death

5 people have died under 50 years old in South Korea from Covid19, 5!

Out of a population of 50m

More probably died of alcohol that night he wen't clubbing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

the kelt wrote: »
    Yep because it’s the fault of the actions of a few that we STILL haven’t our testing up to speed, that our testing turnaround time is STILL pathetic and that our situation in the nursing and care homes is STILL bordering on criminal.
    We all have to do our bit to try and stop this virus spreading, no-one is finding this easy. If you don't want to take responsibility, the rest of us will have to try harder to make up for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

We need to learn to live with virus but there seems to be two ways of doing that. You can let it run rampant which is condeming vulnerable groups to indefinite restrictions or deadly disease (plus unknown collateral damage to 'non vulnerable" groups ).... This seems to be what England is going for.
    Or you can do what our government seems to be aiming for and can choose to get the cases down to v low numbers, then using behaviour /testing/quarentine keep a close control of it. If numbers are low enough life could continue almost as normal, no social distancing needed in schools for example . The payoff would be no casual travel in and out of country. But if it works its worth it til they find decent treatments. Which will hopefully be soon considering the monumental effort being made around the world. Other countries will be restricting travel too so its not like the options will be there like before

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement