Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The_Brood wrote: »
    Govermnent is saying no to people going on summer holidays. Sorry but whats the point of working year round then? Just to boost the profits of corporations? That is the sum total reason for our existence? Maybe we need a complete and total restructuring of society and work that is based on human reason and not on profit. Will that happen before the summer? Hah.

I guess for those of us who dont have a car we will be taking the summer holidays in our bathroom. Before back to work for the corporations!

Stopped listening to them weeks ago . They know fcuk all of what way the virus will be in two months time. We may see it fizzle out. Ridiculous to rule things out like this and Blanket declarations are about as useful as tony Holohan’s daily updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

road_high wrote: »
    Stopped listening to them weeks ago . They know fcuk all of what way the virus will be in two months time. We may see it fizzle out. Ridiculous to rule things out like this and Blanket declarations are about as useful as tony Holohan’s daily updates.
    The CMO has admitted this is very conservative and cautious approach. They don't know anything about 2 months hence but are not taking any chances whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    The vast majority I speak to are law abiding sensible people and are not going to comply if the restrictions are not lifted .

Then they are not law abiding sensible people, they are selfish mé féiners. Let's call a spade a spade and not pretend otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Then they are not law abiding sensible people, they are selfish mé féiners. Let's call a spade a spade and not pretend otherwise.

People must get on with their lives. Lets call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

They’re looking after their own mental health yes . If that makes then mé féiners then so be it . Another 2-3 weeks lockdown will effect mental and physical health and sensible people well know that .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    The CMO has admitted this is very conservative and cautious approach. They don't know anything about 2 months hence but are not taking any chances whatsoever.

And therein lies the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

So am I.

So you can't say that I have a 'stay at home' approach?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

If a spade was called a spade in the first place we wouldn’t be trapped in this bankrupting nonsense to start with!

polesheep wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem.
    It is but I reckon the new government will try to find a way to pull some of the Phase 5 stuff into Phase 4 or earlier. Once cases drop to very low levels it ceases to be a public health emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

It is but I reckon the new government will try to find a way to pull some of the Phase 5 stuff into Phase 4 or earlier. Once cases drop to very low levels it ceases to be a public health emergency.

If you believe that, you would believe everything.

• Advertisement

This government and new government will be open to any proposed plans to advance openings. Beyond this, finding approaches to mitigate the economic cost will be to the forefront.

It's funny that those making the most noise about opening up are also those that are most sceptical about it happening.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I don’t think there will be a new government either. Current dead one will rattle on for another blast- Leo really wants to go again. Not waste time with FF and Greens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

It is in the gift of Govt to do this with the approval of parliament. No one elected Tony and his role like all civil servants is advisory - the executive is the Government.

In my view this is what should happen:

Phase 1 next week as planned.
    Phase 2 and 3 together on 1 June with some modifications
    Phase 4 on 15th June
    Phase 5 on 30th June

There should be an emergency Cabinet sub Committee created similar to after the financial crisis - Taoiseach, finance, Health and Enterprise. The Taoiseach is in charge of all messaging.

A special task force will advise Govt on the arrangements for the education sector reporting by end July.

Local authority staff will assist the HSA in advising business on social distancing procedures - organised at local authority level.

The risk is that now they have made the Leaving Cert decision they will double down on all the other decisions.

growleaves wrote: »
    Incoherent and arbitrary.

Some newspaper wag pointed out that it would be cheaper to replace UK buses with limousines given that they now only take one or two passengers.

Yeah, everyone is saying that their approach is incoherent. Stay alert though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It is in the gift of Govt to do this with the approval of parliament. No one elected Tony and his role like all civil servants is advisory - the executive is the Government.

In my view this is what should happen:

Phase 1 next week as planned.
    Phase 2 and 3 together on 1 June with some modifications
    Phase 4 on 15th June
    Phase 5 on 30th June

There should be an emergency Cabinet sub Committee created similar to after the financial crisis - Taoiseach, finance, Health and Enterprise. The Taoiseach is in charge of all messaging.

A special task force will advise Govt on the arrangements for the education sector reporting by end July.

Local authority staff will assist the HSA in advising business on social distancing procedures - organised at local authority level.

The risk is that now they have made the Leaving Cert decision they will double down on all the other decisions.

Phase 2 will not happen in June 1

I am convinced they timed it for June 8 to get past the June bank holiday and avoid hordes descending on the likes of Howth which is usually insanely busy on that particular bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

road_high wrote: »

Fizzle Out! No chance of that until there is a vaccine. It's back in Wuhan now, where it started.

Golf clubs are opening on Monday ahead of those in the north. Reckless. *tongue firmly in cheek*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yeah, everyone is saying that their approach is incoherent. Stay alert though.

Their approach is a joke, we should be looking to how our EU counterparts are handling this.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/19/coronavirus-which-countries-are-under-lockdown-and-who-s-next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

we arent some hive mind or single organism . People should look after themselves because when the bills have to be paid , nobody else will.
    Taxes will be jacked up and many people will struggle .

This isn't taking into account the knock on effect on other things like hospital appointments...etc or the loss of individual freedoms (something you clearly don't care about)

We can thank the shutdown which was completely unnecessary

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Phase 2 will not happen in June 1

I am convinced they timed it for June 8 to get past the June bank holiday and avoid hordes descending on the likes of Howth which is usually insanely busy on that particular bank holiday

That is where their logic is wrong. If you limit people in a metropolitan area to 5km they will concentrate on where they can go. 20km and it is far less of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That is where their logic is wrong. If you limit people in a metropolitan area to 5km they will concentrate on where they can go. 20km and it is far less of an issue.

I think your logic is wrong. They're trying to keep the virus in concentrated areas and not for it to spread like wildfire throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0513/1138100-hiqa-coronavirus-review/

Well well well Evidence suggests children not contributing significantly to spread of Covid-19 - HIQA

VonLuck wrote: »
    I think your logic is wrong. They're trying to keep the virus in concentrated areas and not for it to spread like wildfire throughout the country.

That is a new theory.

The virus is now in clusters (many of which are State or State regulated). It is not in the community and is far more likely to spread (if it is there) in concentrated dense areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

uli84 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0513/1138100-hiqa-coronavirus-review/

Well well well Evidence suggests children not contributing significantly to spread of Covid-19 - HIQA

To be honest there was never evidence that they were ,.It was a bit like the toilet roll rush , no one knew who said it first and people ran with it . I have yet to read a medical research on the heightened spread among children yet from day one they were labelled super spreaders .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    To be honest there was never evidence that they were ,.It was a bit like the toilet roll rush , no one knew who said it first and people ran with it . I have yet to read a medical research on the heightened spread among children yet from day one they were labelled super spreaders .

I think it was because in general children are super spreaders due to their propensity to not respect personnel space, wash hands and cough and sneeze everywhere. In the absence of evidence, it was assumed it would be similar. As we know more about this, and as kids are less severely impacted it has become clear that the are also less likely to spread the virus. This information should form a clear part of the strategy to get childcare/ schools back in operation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Oh god what are they going to do in SK?

They have a death rate of 0.24% from confirmed cases and they can't have caught every single case, so it's probably closer to 0.10% death rate there than 0.20%

Media is loving that super spreader but with those numbers he probably won't have done any damage in terms of death

5 people have died under 50 years old in South Korea from Covid19, 5!

Out of a population of 50m

More probably died of alcohol that night he wen't clubbing

South Korea - 2.4% death rate from confirmed cases, not 0.24, considering they catch nearly every case it is very high.

Yes the number of deaths are small, but its not a static figure, hence the preemptive reaction from the South korean government. It's not something to take lightly, more than 15% of South Koreans are over 65

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think it was because in general children are super spreaders due to their propensity to not respect personnel space

Report them to HR :pac:

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'm already back at work.

you're not the only one, an awful lot have been working throughout this. I would say 40% maybe higher have been working for at least the last 2 weeks. White vans all over the place, shops, dentists (mine is open!) florists, landscapers (my neighbour got raised beds put in her garden yesterday, landscapers there the entire day), maintenance, industrial drainage like Dyno Rod, the list is endless.

I've been working throughout this, albeit in a redeployed area, but in an actual office. There were a 2/3 weeks where we were sent home (and I also had to self isolate) until they changed work practices but thankfully working most of the time in my workplace as many many people were! I got over any "fear" I had of Covid in early April. I am hand sanitizing and being socially distant. The people who have been locked up all this time going nowhere are the ones with the most fear now!

• Advertisement

you're not the only one, an awful lot have been working throughout this. I would say 40% maybe higher have been working for at least the last 2 weeks. White vans all over the place, shops, dentists (mine is open!) florists, landscapers (my neighbour got raised beds put in her garden yesterday, landscapers there the entire day), maintenance, industrial drainage like Dyno Rod, the list is endless.

To be fair, economically, the COVID-19 has been great for me financially. 70 euro/hr locums and unlimited overtime. So I don't really have an issue with people.going back to work in a safe and controlled manner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement