Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stheno wrote: »
    Phase 2 will not happen in June 1

I am convinced they timed it for June 8 to get past the June bank holiday and avoid hordes descending on the likes of Howth which is usually insanely busy on that particular bank holiday

Many people are going to do whatever the hell they want come June BH.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

rusty cole wrote: »
    Can I just ask, did anyone NOT get the famous leaflet via POST?
    Neither I nor my neighbours saw one of them, what's the story there? another HSE lie?

we got something in Irish but not English about a month back, Luckily I had lots of time this month to learn the language in case the leaflet is important. Please dont send me anything in Chinese or Hungarian

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

I got a 15 page leaflet, it's really good.

JP100 wrote: »
    I got a 15 page leaflet, it's really good.

ok so that's you sorted, I live in a large Dublin suburb and nobody seems to have got one

this one, https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/News/Covid-19_Public_Information_Booklet_to_be_delivered_to_every_household_nationwide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Penfailed wrote: »
    Golf clubs are opening on Monday ahead of those in the north. Reckless. *tongue firmly in cheek*

Who will be checking that nobody has come from more than 5k away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

What in the gods name is going on. Even with 14 day quarantine imposed by Gardai, Tony is still unhappy for people to live life. July is over 6 weeks away for crying out

"People should not book summer trips abroad this July despite plans by airlines to resume some flight schedules, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan warned.

He put a dampener on any non-essential summer getaways and said the country is not ready to go on holiday.

He replied he would not comment on Ryanair, but said: "We are advising against all non-essential travel.

"We don't want to see people coming here for non-essential reasons and leaving for non-essential reasons," he added.

This is the sort of thing North Korea preach. "we dont want people coming here" - without giving any timelines until when.

Can he destroy Irish tourism all by himself?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/holohan-warns-against-booking-holidays-despite-move-by-airlines-39202539.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Neither I nor my neighbours saw one of them, what's the story there? another HSE lie?

I got multiples of them. Annoying as I don’t have bins,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What in the gods name is going on. Even with 14 day quarantine imposed by Gardai, Tony is still unhappy for people to live life. July is over 6 weeks away for crying out

"People should not book summer trips abroad this July despite plans by airlines to resume some flight schedules, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan warned.

He put a dampener on any non-essential summer getaways and said the country is not ready to go on holiday.

He replied he would not comment on Ryanair, but said: "We are advising against all non-essential travel.

"We don't want to see people coming here for non-essential reasons and leaving for non-essential reasons," he added.

This is the sort of thing North Korea preach. "we dont want people coming here" - without giving any timelines until when.

Can he destroy Irish tourism all by himself?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/holohan-warns-against-booking-holidays-despite-move-by-airlines-39202539.html

He is reveling in his new-found authority.

He won't allow Normal People to be aired next. Them two horny young wans are setting a bad example by not observing good social distancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How can Czech republic allow indoor gatherings of up to 500 people on 25th of May (weddings, churches you name it), while we can't organise final exams for our school pupils by 29th of July?

Who's to say that the Czech Republic are doing the right thing? It may be complete madness.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I wish the media would learn what the word "rate" means.

The word is misused on a daily basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Rodin wrote: »
    I wish the media would learn what the word "rate" means.

The word is misused on a daily basis.

even politicians, there was some UK opposition minister being interviewed on Sky and she kept saying the UK and the US have the highest rates in the world.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who's to say that the Czech Republic are doing the right thing? It may be complete madness.

On what basis might it be madness? They seem on par with the Danes and they are doing just fine.

I got it. Bright yellow leaflet.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EU looking to get travel within the EU moving again as soon as.

The EU is proposing a three-stage approach, starting with the current situation in which most non-essential travel across borders is banned.

In the next phase, the EU wants border restrictions lifted between countries and regions at a similar stage of the pandemic, and where the health situation is improving.

In the final phase, all coronavirus-related border controls would be lifted and travel permitted throughout Europe once again.

Brussels is urging governments to consider economic and social factors as well as health as they weigh up reopening their borders

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ok so that's you sorted, I live in a large Dublin suburb and nobody seems to have got one

this one, https://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/News/Covid-19_Public_Information_Booklet_to_be_delivered_to_every_household_nationwide.html
    Yeah, we got it pretty early on. Large Dublin suburb. Big booklet, Irish on one side, English on the other.

So following other countries who went into lockdown and doing the same is not madness. But following other countries who are opening up could be madness?

I could lose my mind trying to comprehend this :eek:

silverharp wrote: »
    even politicians, there was some UK opposition minister being interviewed on Sky and she kept saying the UK and the US have the highest rates in the world.

Drives me demented.

The EU is proposing a three-stage approach, starting with the current situation in which most non-essential travel across borders is banned.

In the next phase, the EU wants border restrictions lifted between countries and regions at a similar stage of the pandemic, and where the health situation is improving.

In the final phase, all coronavirus-related border controls would be lifted and travel permitted throughout Europe once again.

Brussels is urging governments to consider economic and social factors as well as health as they weigh up reopening their borders

Tony will be fuming. He dont want no Toms Dicks or Harrys landing on our land.

Nope, I got a couple so blame the posty!

More news coming out, makes for a very interesting read given that there is a consensus Ireland spending 1bn a year on single use PPE is unfeasible

"The Danish Health Authority does not recommend that healthy people who move around in public generally wear face masks," the authority explains in a Question and Answer section on its website.

Henning Bundgaard, Professor in Cardiology at Copenhagen University, who is conducting a trial on the efficacy of face masks, told The Local that he believed Denmark was right to exercise caution.

"No one has any documentation that face masks outside hospitals work at all," he said. "And I think it is rational to provide this documentation before we demand that people need to wear masks out in the open."

https://www.thelocal.dk/20200511/why-is-denmark-not-recommending-face-masks-to-the-public

• Advertisement

The leaving cert fiasco, while for another thread discussion really but it is absolute nonsense.

How can Czech republic allow indoor gatherings of up to 500 people on 25th of May (weddings, churches you name it), while we can't organise final exams for our school pupils by 29th of July?

The leadership from our government is just not there, unfortunately, and group that will suffer is the young generation that is suppose to restore our economy from the mess it is/will be in the matter of months.
    The leaving cert should take place in my opinion. I went from 250ish in mocks to 540 points in the real thing. Predicted grades would have screwed me

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Great news - and we badly needed a different authority to NPHET that our paralysed government can look to for direction and for someone to take accountability for decisions in easing restrictions.

Instead of ‘well we are just following medical advice’, they now have an alternative ‘well, we are just following EU advice’ - our government can still comfortably abstain from thinking for themselves, but at least there’s a counter voice.

Advice from EU on getting economy moving in Ireland again is very welcome.

Tony will be fuming. He dont want no Toms Dicks or Harrys landing on our land.

Yeah they could find themselves in a tricky spot based on the EU plan.
    Though the EU plan is non binding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

seamus wrote: »
    My experience is that for the vast majority at this stage, they're already into phase 1; meeting family and friends in parks and gardens within 5km and maintaining social distancing.

I know this is much to the chagrin of those who are sticking rigidly to the rules, but I have to believe that a natural "feathering" of the rules is built into the plan if those who wrote it understand people at all.

After the June Bank Holiday, assuming the numbers are looking OK, people will start pre-empting phase 2; travelling further than 5km, going to eachother's homes for small periods, playing team sports in small groups, non-essential shops opening for a couple of hours a day.

This has been happening for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dunmur

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Meeting people and having more than four in your garden for example

Interesting to see how bouncy castle operators manage to fall into phase one.. All local operators open for business on Monday and happy to deliver to 30k..essential service or pure profiteering

Great news - and we badly needed a different authority to NPHET that our paralysed government can look to for direction and for someone to take accountability for decisions in easing restrictions.

Instead of ‘well we are just following medical advice’, they now have an alternative ‘well, we are just following EU advice’ - our government can still comfortably abstain from thinking for themselves, but at least there’s a counter voice.

Full article here
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-travel-idUSKBN22O38B

Well, that following the science phase will come to an end soon enough. IMO it has been the right call but other factors will now need more attention. One of those factors is a new government and we need to see the shape of one by the end of this month. After that it's the challenge of trying to get it all up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

EU totally ignoring the fact that one of their member states in an Island....again

Rodin wrote: »
    Who will be checking that nobody has come from more than 5k away?

The golf clubs certainly won't. It was on the news this morning. It's not up to them to enforce it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

No, not a sign of one here either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement