Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Rodin wrote: »
    They never enforced the distance restrictions anyway.
    That's why people have been moving around at will

Some idiot on Dermot and Dave one of the mornings suggested that our lockdown was like being in Auschwitz...

People really haven't a clue about genuine hardship.

I really don't know how these people dress themselves in the morning and manage not to be spoon-fed through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

polesheep wrote: »
    In some people's minds we're living through a surge.
    All of this will add to our actual understanding of it, not what we can guess about it. That's a good thing, in my view. As an aside on what we know, I thought it interesting that DeGascun said they still don't know definitively why flu' is seasonal in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rodin wrote: »
    They never enforced the distance restrictions anyway.
    That's why people have been moving around at will

Some idiot on Dermot and Dave one of the mornings suggested that our lockdown was like being in Auschwitz...

People really haven't a clue about genuine hardship.

People were suggesting similar in this very thread!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

From RTE:
    Northern Ireland's First Minister Arlene Foster has said she hopes to be "long past" the final step of the Stormont Executive's five-part plan for easing lockdown by December.

Is there something up there between herself and Michelle o Neill that they just come out with pointless soundbites.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What job do you have?

Sounds like a Pharmacist in the guise of Marie Antoinette. Simply no comparison between a low paid worked in a small service business earning a fraction of that, forced onto welfare for months on end. Smacks of "I'm alright Jack"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

From RTE:
    Northern Ireland's First Minister Arlene Foster has said she hopes to be "long past" the final step of the Stormont Executive's five-part plan for easing lockdown by December.

Is there something up there between herself and Michelle o Neill that they just come out with pointless soundbites.

The problem is that the pandemic has forced them to work together

Not being able to sling endless jibes at each other has them unsettled :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    All of this will add to our actual understanding of it, not what we can guess about it. That's a good thing, in my view. As an aside on what we know, I thought it interesting that DeGascun said they still don't know definitively why flu' is seasonal in these parts.

I read an article once that suggested that it was an atavistic thing around the dark days. That as winter approached there was a natural susceptibility to diseases like flu among the old and weak, so that come spring the population would emerge stronger and fitter.

I really don't know how these people dress themselves in the morning and manage not to be spoon-fed through the day.

Bit like people waiting for Tony Holohan to allow them outside their front doors.

riclad wrote: »
    I think we can write off tourism for 2020, I think few people will want to travel here as tourists. there will be restrictions on travel probably til September. After September 11th attack it took 2 years for American tourists travel no to return to normal
    . Right now many cafes are open in America. The no of
    customers is 20 to 30 per cent of the average before the
    crisis. Imagine getting on a plane now. At least one or 2 passengers will probably have the virus unless they start
    checking people's temperate before they get on the
    Flight

We’ll see. As time goes on and other businesses re open the pressure will grow and grow for tourism activity to follow. Never underestimate the power of money and falling government revenues to instigate a change in policy

road_high wrote: »
    Bit like people waiting for Tony Holohan to allow them outside their front doors.

Never happened. We've always been allowed outside our front doors.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Michael Guineys in Cork is reopening on Monday. As far as I know they don’t sell food, hardware or garden equipment so I don’t know how they’re getting around the restrictions.
    They do have a homeware section so perhaps they are taking inspiration from Dunnes in that regard.

Either way, the more businesses that take the leap, the more likely others will follow. No way will they remain closed when they can see their competitors open for business and making money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What in the gods name is going on. Even with 14 day quarantine imposed by Gardai, Tony is still unhappy for people to live life. July is over 6 weeks away for crying out

"People should not book summer trips abroad this July despite plans by airlines to resume some flight schedules, chief medical officer Dr Tony Holohan warned.

He put a dampener on any non-essential summer getaways and said the country is not ready to go on holiday.

He replied he would not comment on Ryanair, but said: "We are advising against all non-essential travel.

"We don't want to see people coming here for non-essential reasons and leaving for non-essential reasons," he added.

This is the sort of thing North Korea preach. "we dont want people coming here" - without giving any timelines until when.

Can he destroy Irish tourism all by himself?

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/holohan-warns-against-booking-holidays-despite-move-by-airlines-39202539.html

Can someone please put a muzzle on this incompetent merchant of doom?

He has almost single-handedly saddled future generations with billions of euros of national debt and destroyed our economy.

When does someone shout 'stop'?

frillyleaf wrote: »
    What job do you have?

that poster works in HSE - mentioned it a few pages back.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Michael Guineys in Cork is reopening on Monday. As far as I know they don’t sell food, hardware or garden equipment so I don’t know how they’re getting around the restrictions.
    They do have a homeware section so perhaps they are taking inspiration from Dunnes in that regard.

Either way, the more businesses that take the leap, the more likely others will follow. No way will they remain closed when they can see their competitors open for business and making money.

Plenty of Garden centres around are open already - selling vegetable plants, pet supplies and similar I presume to get around it, but cars loaded up with flowers etc as they drive away

Plenty of Garden centres around are open already - selling vegetable plants, pet supplies and similar I presume to get around it, but cars loaded up with flowers etc as they drive away

good for them! :)
    If there were a few around where I live I'd be doing the very same. Cant wait till Monday!

He has almost single-handedly saddled future generations with billions of euros of national debt and destroyed our economy.

People really need to put a face to their frustrations don't they. When in reality he is just the lead representative of a large group who are providing advice to the government who execute the decisions based on the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yeah no I understand that.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN22P1H9?__twitter_impression=true

Anyway Germany aiming for free travel in the EU from mid June, Spain expected to open borders in July also according to Reuters

Germany and others possibly will have international borders open a month before we can travel more than 20km inside our own county or to another county

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

People really need to put a face to their frustrations don't they. When in reality he is just the lead representative of a large group who are providing advice to the government who execute the decisions based on the advice.
    Sure the same logic could then be applied to any criticism of any leader, including the Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

SusieBlue wrote:

Very good point. Lots of businesses planning to open on Monday, seeing lots of personal trainers to on Facebook taking bookings for groups of 3 for fitness sessions etc . I think people will be surprised by the amount of people out and about from next week and traffic etc . I'm sure I read that up to 200k people back to work from Monday. Also interested to see how the rates of jobless numbers contract, the black economy is thriving as it is , plenty getting covid payments and doing cash in hand work as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Germany and others possibly will have international borders open a month before we can travel more than 20km inside our own county or to another county

Quite possibly. Although I could see that changing potentially if things are looking in a good place.

Realistically say in July if EU borders are open and theres flights running out of Irish airports theres nothing to stop any of us actually going abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not sure I'd call him a merchant of doom, but the veneration of him by the Irish media in particular has gone over the top. He has a habit of issuing statements that cause panic, without adding caveats or corrections.

Last week he said he was worried about young people catching the disease.

Today a study by HIQA demonstrates the risk of young people passing it on is minimal.

Maybe some journalist can ask Tony to clarify or update his position on young people becoming infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Quite possibly. Although I could see that changing potentially if things are looking in a good place.

Realistically say in July if EU borders are open and theres flights running out of Irish airports theres nothing to stop any of us actually going abroad

As long as you're within 20km of the airport ;)

ixoy wrote: »
    Sure the same logic could then be applied to any criticism of any leader, including the Taoiseach.

Yes, but Tony Holohan is being talked about by some like he is some sort of dictator with broad executive powers across all areas of society, while the reality is outside his direct role as Chief Executive of the HSE, with administrative executive power for that organisation, all other powers are essentially advisory

Our international border is closed?

Realistically, there's nothing to stop you going abroad tomorrow. There's flights leaving daily from Dublin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Right now countries in the south of Europe are preparing to reopen their tourism industries meanwhile I can’t drive to Ballinhassig (7km away)

Hard to envision major change in this country with that mindset

Our international border is closed?

By the end of play today, I'll have crossed it four times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

What i cant get my head around is the mentality of those who dont dare question or deviate or think for themselves but just listen to whats being fed to them and nothing else.

I mean i was listening to Leo Varadkar today and when he spoke about the HIQA report and admitted that it looks like kids arent super spreaders etc. He admitted it wouldnt reflect well on us if we were the last people able to open our schools and childcare facilities.

I looked at the clip of him speaking and i said "ye know what, fair play" because hes right. He spoke about learning about the virus etc the further we go along the journey and as we learn more, more things change.

Hes right, dead right yet some cant grasp that.

For example at the very start of this the first thing we closed was the schools due to the fact that kids were super spreaders, that turns out not to be the case as Leo admitted today. But at the time it was absoloutely the right thing to do.

The more we have learned about the virus the less deadly it has gotten, it isnt going to kill 100k in Sweden for example and as we are learning from other countries lockdown is not the only game in town.

I mean according to some on here they have a logic that (a) this is a deadly virus that will kill not only the old and is unbelievably contagious, yet the said same people tell you (b) there wasnt really a lockdown and whatever lockdown there was, wasnt really adhered to much at all. I mean they dont even realise the irony of their claims when you look at how we have managed to almost suppress it in the community despite the fact scenario (a) and scenario (b) cant really co exist!

People should be rejoicing when they see other countries easing lockdown restrictions and being successful yet they spend most of their time frantically googling how can they prove its a bad idea!! I dont get that.

The same when Sweden is mentioned, i mean wouldnt it be great if the Swedish approach is successful, why are people hell bent on hoping and praying it wont be?

Fair play to Leo today, he accepted things change which means some of the restrictions may not be necessary for as long etc.

We have had enough fear. Time to start looking forward without fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Yes, but Tony Holohan is being talked about by some like he is some sort of dictator with broad executive powers across all areas of society, while the reality is outside his direct role as Chief Executive of the HSE, with administrative executive power for that organisation, all other powers are essentially advisory

The government has stated on more than one occasion that it simply implements whatever he advises, so de-facto he does have power.

Ministerial-led gerontocratic rebellion regarding over-70s being allowed to exercise being the only exception to this we know of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nermal wrote: »
    The government has stated on more than one occasion that it simply implements whatever he advises, so de-facto he does have power.

Ministerial-led gerontocratic rebellion regarding over-70s being allowed to exercise being the only exception to this we know of.
    You'd expect a level of greater divergence as we move through the phases, especially as individual industries make their cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement