Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ :pac:

Another quality discussion point from yourself

The most restrictive lockdown in Europe this Summer, that has no justification, shows little sign of easing, and will remain unchallenged with attitudes like this.

It's simply not true, we had an incredibly mild lockdown. Spain was only allowed outdoor exercise on the 2nd of May. In Italy, dog walking was a good way to get outside but it couldn't be a long walk. France was fining people for being outside if they didn't have the correct authorisation papers.

We have a lot more freedom than most European nations did during this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Study reckons lockdown took R0 from 2.9 to 0.67.

And you’re at 4.4%. Talk of preventing second waves or creating “herd immunity” (when we’re not sure recovering from this confers immunity and certainly not expecting immunity to be conferred for long) is unsubstantiated bollocks.

Reduce restrictions slowly, test and trace aggressively and extensively, return to lockdown as subsequent waves take hold. Cross fingers for vaccine or effective treatment.

Sadly

Hard decisions are going to have be made soon with regard handling the old and unhealthy

Antibody testing and virus spreading silently in masses from December are starting to look unfounded now

Its looking more and more like we are big trouble

I was a believer but not anymore

Dont know where the government go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well how the fùck is that meant to be answered?

Its an amazing detachment from any kind of reality.
    It's simply not true, we had an incredibly mild lockdown. Spain was only allowed outdoor exercise on the 2nd of May. In Italy, dog walking was a good way to get outside but it couldn't be a long walk. France was fining people for being outside if they didn't have the correct authorisation papers.

Even some of the countries lauded for "opening up" are barely at where we are now ffs :pac:

The most restrictive lockdown in Europe this Summer, that has no justification, shows little sign of easing, and will remain unchallenged with attitudes like this.

Much of the wailing on here has been about us not lifting restrictions we never had

• Advertisement

All in busy cities with populations greater than the island of Ireland.
    Why compare implemented restrictive measures of countries with greater than 10 times our population, But, when those countries relax those restrictions "lets wait and see"?
    Why didn't Ireland wait and see if implementing restrictions made any difference? The stats suggest they made jack all difference

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Rodin wrote: »
    Why are kids minds more fragile these days?
    To me it's a bit like telling a child that a spider is creepy or a snake slimy. Children are not born with fear.
    Stop talking to them about anxiety all the time.

Every 2nd word from the leaving cert students was about their anxiety.

I'm talking about asking a junior infant to stand in a square in the playground and telling them that's their space to play on their own while they watch all the other children do the same.
    That's what was shown to be happening in a school in France and all I'm saying is that's more damaging to their minds than staying at home.

Well how the fùck is that meant to be answered?

In the same manner of all your other posts

All in busy cities with populations greater than the island of Ireland.
    Why compare implemented restrictive measures of countries with greater than 10 times our population, But, when those countries relax those restrictions "lets wait and see"?
    Why didn't Ireland wait and see if implementing restrictions made any difference? The stats suggest they made jack all difference

Great suggestion. Wait 6 weeks during a pandemic to see if restrictions work elsewhere while cases are growing at 30% per day here. That’s while we were when our lockdown lite was implemented

Much of the wailing on here has been about us not lifting restrictions we never had

The restrictions Ireland never had?

• Advertisement

Great suggestion. Wait 6 weeks during a pandemic to see if restrictions work elsewhere while cases are growing at 30% per day here. That’s while we were when our lockdown lite was implemented

It worked for Sweden

The restrictions Ireland never had?

Well the government were being savaged by some earlier because Germany had decided to open their borders

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

In the same manner of all your other posts

Quality contribution fin.

You havent mentioned Sweden yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Shutting down pubs, sports, cinemas, gyms for 5 months is a mild lockdown to you?

It worked for Sweden

I suggest you go to worldometers and look at the charts for Austria, Switzerland and Sweden. Tell me who you think are managing it well and who, although things are not going out of control are on a plateau of cases and deaths that show no sign of easing

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

83% of cases have recovered here so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Colibri wrote: »
    83% of cases have recovered so far!

Is that in Ireland or in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

growleaves wrote: »
    Is that in Ireland or in general?

Sorry, here! Worldometer tells me anyway.

Closed cases worldwide is 85%. 98% infected are in mild condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I'm talking about asking a junior infant to stand in a square in the playground and telling them that's their space to play on their own while they watch all the other children do the same.
    That's what was shown to be happening in a school in France and all I'm saying is that's more damaging to their minds than staying at home.

Give them a ball and tell them to throw to each other.
    Be grand.

I suggest you go to worldometers and look at the charts for Austria, Switzerland and Sweden. Tell me who you think are managing it well and who, although things are not going out of control are on a plateau of cases and deaths that show no sign of easing

The restrictions we implemented in Ireland on the basis of the accuracy of projected models that showed over 100k dead in Ireland.
    Im assuming Sweden have seen those numbers if I check out those links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Death and destruction predictions? Whats Sweden covid19 at 3k? 90k die there per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

i assume tony, leo and simone all attended private schools.
    so leo should expect a real hazing tonight from tony and his team for daring to offer some hope - nobody goes over top boy tony's head.

This is ridiculous if true that the Dept of Health ‘summoned’ the Taoiseach - it should be the other way around. The Taoiseach should be summoning the Dept of Health to government buildings to explain exactly why we are the last country in Europe to reopen - businesses are being let collapse. Billions are being thrown down the drain, for a virus whose death rate if far lower than thought (0.5% approx). Why is Dr Tony continuing to feed the hysteria and fear among the population and pretend the situation is dire when it is by no means. Where is his application of the new data and information coming out every day? Is he using old data which has the same merit as the new data so he can’t just dismiss it. We’re under lockdown based on model projections that never materialised.
    And what about 5km restriction? Why are we under lock and key until June? And then just 20km?
    Varadkar today - I think it reflects badly on our society if we are among the last to reopen schools...let’s extrapolate that statement and say:
    I think it looks terrible to the outside world if Ireland is left closed for the summer while our nearest neighbours reopen and in the Schengen zone push to open borders in mid June.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

It's not the most restrictive lockdown in Europe, it has the same justification as all the other lockdowns, it will begin to ease on the 18th and it is being challenged.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's not the most restrictive lockdown in Europe, it has the same justification as all the other lockdowns, it will begin to ease on the 18th and it is being challenged.

How is it not the most restrictive from June 2nd onwards for a period of almost 3 months?

You havent mentioned Sweden yet?

Too slow...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

The restrictions we implemented in Ireland on the basis of the accuracy of projected models that showed over 100k dead in Ireland.
    Im assuming Sweden have seen those numbers if I check out those links?

I don’t how many times this needs to be repeated. Sweden have not done nothing. They are also consistently at 500 deaths per week+ while the rest of Europe is falling rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

dunmur wrote: »
    Interesting to see how bouncy castle operators manage to fall into phase one.. All local operators open for business on Monday and happy to deliver to 30k..essential service or pure profiteering

I heard next to nothing about the Holy Communions being cancelled.When will the kids get to wear the outfits, if they still fit them.

How is it not the most restrictive from June 2nd onwards for a period of almost 3 months?

Is that the only point out of the four that you made that may hold some water? It's been said before but I'll say it again, other countries started their lockdown before us. The UK have extended the furlough scheme until October. That gives you some idea of the direction they are heading.

This is ridiculous if true that the Dept of Health ‘summoned’ the Taoiseach - it should be the other way around. The Taoiseach should be summoning the Dept of Health to government buildings to explain exactly why we are the last country in Europe to reopen - businesses are being let collapse. Billions are being thrown down the drain, for a virus whose death rate if far lower than thought (0.5% approx). Why is Dr Tony continuing to feed the hysteria and fear among the population and pretend the situation is dire when it is by no means. Where is his application of the new data and information coming out every day? Is he using old data which has the same merit as the new data so he can’t just dismiss it. We’re under lockdown based on model projections that never materialised.
    And what about 5km restriction? Why are we under lock and key until June? And then just 20km?
    Varadkar today - I think it reflects badly on our society if we are among the last to reopen schools...let’s extrapolate that statement and say:
    I think it looks terrible to the outside world if Ireland is left closed for the summer while our nearest neighbours reopen and in the Schengen zone push to open borders in mid June.

Where is the source of this suggestion that the dept summoned Leo other than in the fevered imagination of certain posters who believe the whole thing is some power grab by imagines elites.

Oh, and our borders are not and never have been closed.

• Advertisement

I don’t how many times this needs to be repeated. Sweden have not done nothing. They are also consistently at 500 deaths per week+ while the rest of Europe is falling rapidly

I don’t how many times this needs to be repeated. Sweden has done very little. Kids are in school and business as usual with social distance.

I don’t how many times this needs to be repeated, the restrictions were implemented to prevent 120k deaths in little old Ireland and to prevent battlefield levels of triage in hospitals.
    Why do people ignore this discussing Sweden?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement