Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

hamburgham wrote: »
    I heard next to nothing about the Holy Communions being cancelled.When will the kids get to wear the outfits, if they still fit them.

I’m more worried about their immortal souls. Not only will they get Covid, they will also burn in hell. Poor mites.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Penfailed wrote: »
    Is that the only point out of the four that you made that may hold some water? It's been said before but I'll say it again, other countries started their lockdown before us. The UK have extended the furlough scheme until October. That gives you some idea of the direction they are heading.

The U.K. have told anyone that can go back to work, to go back. Their Furlough is being reduced to 60% of salary and only will apply to those who don’t have a job to go back to under the new measures announced. They’ve realised it’s a one way ticket to bankruptcy and fast If you keep paying people to sit at home and not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Where is the source of this suggestion that the dept summoned Leo other than in the fevered imagination of certain posters who believe the whole thing is some power grab by imagines elites.

Oh, and our borders are not and never have been closed.

Yes they are closed to the general population. How would I fly or go anywhere in the morning? I’m breaking the 5km limit to do so and it’s counted as an ‘unnecessary journey’. Don’t pretend we can travel when we cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Biscuitus wrote: »
    The silence from the roads was nice while it lasted.

Much as I want the lockdown to end, the daily increase in the traffic is a killer. Was lovely seeing all the families out cycling. I wonder how many kids learnt to ride a bike over the last few weeks thanks to the parents having a bit of time. Would love if we went back to quiet Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The U.K. have told anyone that can go back to work, to go back. Their Furlough is being reduced to 60% of salary and only will apply to those who don’t have a job to go back to under the new measures announced. They’ve realised it’s a one way ticket to bankruptcy and fast If you keep paying people to sit at home and not work?

They all ignore the fact Ireland is now and will be for months the most restrictive nation in Europe.
    Even Leo admitted as much today.

• Advertisement

Oh, and our borders are not and never have been closed.

Thats just criminal neglect, its not made Ireland any less restrictive for resident citizens

Yes they are closed to the general population. How would I fly or go anywhere in the morning? I’m breaking the 5km limit to do so and it’s counted as an ‘unnecessary journey’. Don’t pretend we can travel when we cannot.

No they are not. Anyone can access the flights that are available. Essential journeys only, but available for anyone as with most or Wurope. You can also cross the border at time you want as long as you can convince any guard you meet along the way that your journey is essential. Again not very different to the rest of Europe, except they actually did have border posts opened while we did not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

This is ridiculous if true that the Dept of Health ‘summoned’ the Taoiseach - it should be the other way around. The Taoiseach should be summoning the Dept of Health to government buildings to explain exactly why we are the last country in Europe to reopen - businesses are being let collapse. Billions are being thrown down the drain, for a virus whose death rate if far lower than thought (0.5% approx). Why is Dr Tony continuing to feed the hysteria and fear among the population and pretend the situation is dire when it is by no means. Where is his application of the new data and information coming out every day? Is he using old data which has the same merit as the new data so he can’t just dismiss it. We’re under lockdown based on model projections that never materialised.
    And what about 5km restriction? Why are we under lock and key until June? And then just 20km?
    Varadkar today - I think it reflects badly on our society if we are among the last to reopen schools...let’s extrapolate that statement and say:
    I think it looks terrible to the outside world if Ireland is left closed for the summer while our nearest neighbours reopen and in the Schengen zone push to open borders in mid June.

The Taoiseach will be apologising tomorrow morning for stepping out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Shutting down pubs, sports, cinemas, gyms for 5 months is a mild lockdown to you?

I'm not saying this as pro or anti lockdown but if that's honestly the best you have, then you're struggling.

Yes, closing non-essential entertainment like pubs, sports, cinemas or gyms while still being allowed to exercise outside, cycle, jog etc would be considered a mild lockdown.

A harsher lockdown would be what other EU countries had, where they were not allowed out to exercise at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Where is the source of this suggestion that the dept summoned Leo other than in the fevered imagination of certain posters who believe the whole thing is some power grab by imagines elites

A guy making an ironic joke said Tony had summoned Leo cause he was angry with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Naos wrote: »
    I'm not saying this as pro or anti lockdown but if that's honestly the best you have, then you're struggling.

Yes, closing non-essential entertainment like pubs, sports, cinemas or gyms while still being allowed to exercise outside, cycle, jog etc would be considered a mild lockdown.

A harsher lockdown would be what other EU countries had, where they were not allowed out to exercise at all.

Businesses are struggling. People are getting laid off everyday. Just stop.

Your obsession with exercise is admirable but you are mistaken if you think our lockdown is not most restrictive in Europe. For businesses. For school children. List goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

hamburgham wrote: »
    I heard next to nothing about the Holy Communions being cancelled.When will the kids get to wear the outfits, if they still fit them.

They'll just have to work extra hard to shift the lockdown weight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

growleaves wrote: »
    A guy making an ironic joke said Tony had summoned Leo cause he was angry with him.

And at least one person responded giving out about it. Before you know it it’s a WhatsApp meme being circulated as fact

I noticed one of the reasons for lack of uptakes wasn't "sure we get 350euro for sitting on our arses at home."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Watched RTE news for about 4 minutes today, first time since Leo's speech.

And oh my goodness, they sent some poor man (presumably a reporter) to London to stand outside Victoria Station when its quiet and say "look, absolutely no one on the streets"

And then you have below

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/13/packed-tube-trains-prompt-union-anger-at-johnsons-back-to-work-message-coronavirus-lockdown

Priceless moment came when they were showing the underground where social distancing rules were broken (duh) and the reporter goes "Yes, social distancing rules are not being adhered to, but these passengers are luxuriously spread out in comparison to pre covid 19 levels"

Does it get more pathetic than this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Rodin wrote: »
    I noticed one of the reasons for lack of uptakes wasn't "sure we get 350euro for sitting on our arses at home."

Well if it's for front line healthcare workers why would they be getting paid covid payments while they're employed? Your comment makes no sense at all.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well if it's for front line healthcare workers why would they be getting paid covid payments while they're employed? Your comment makes no sense at all.

The child minders.
    Why would they do the job when they can get the 350 at home ?

I know of two healthcare workers with employees of crèches minding their kids during this. Why would the volunteer to join a government scheme when they can get their 350 and some cash in hand to top it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Did you even read the link?
    Crèches aren’t covered by their insurance to do it, they would possibly have to apply for additional more costly insurance in order to be covered.
    There was also issues surrounding workers getting breaks and adequate rest periods between shifts and workers would be expected to be fully flexible and available to work evenings and weekends as part of their 40 hour week.

The childcare industry was never consulted for feedback before launching the scheme, if they had been they would have made the insurance issue clear but the government just went ahead as usual without asking them first & now they’re surprised that more crèches haven’t signed up.

But no doubt people will use this as a stick to beat them with, implying they’d rather get their free €350 a week to sit on their arses than go back to work, when the scheme was never a realistic possibility in the first place.

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Did you even read the link?
    Crèches aren’t covered by their insurance to do it, there was issues surrounding workers getting breaks and adequate rest periods between shifts and workers would be expected to be fully flexible and available to work evenings and weekends as part of their 40 hour week.

The childcare industry were never consulted for feedback before launching the scheme, if they had been they would have made the insurance issue clear but the government just went ahead as usual without asking them first & now they’re surprised that more crèches haven’t signed up.

But no doubt people will use this as a stick to beat them with, implying they’d rather get their free €350 a week to sit on their arses than go back to work, when the scheme was never a realistic possibility in the first place.

I got the impression the OP was highlighting the ineptitude of those who tried to introduce such a scheme, not those involved in the day to day operation of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got the impression the OP was highlighting the ineptitude of those who tried to introduce such a scheme, not those involved in the day to day operation of it

Point taken, thought the ‘new reality’ was in regards to people refusing to come off the covid-19 payment. Apologies @ OP.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Point taken, thought the ‘new reality’ was in regards to people refusing to come off the covid-19 payment. Apologies @ OP.

In fairnes to Ivan Yates he rubbished it immediately after being announced for the exact reasons it failed.
    Hes been a consistent source of therapy for myself during this disconnection from common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I read also that childcare workers would be expected to travel up to an hour to the family they were paired with and there was talk of 'light housework and cooking' being involved. An absolute joke of an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Businesses are struggling. People are getting laid off everyday. Just stop.

Your obsession with exercise is admirable but you are mistaken if you think our lockdown is not most restrictive in Europe. For businesses. For school children. List goes on

?? I mentioned the four things that you mentioned - why do you even bother to engage if you're just going to change the goal posts the whole time?

Also, I'm not obsessed with exercise, no idea where you got that from.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

A few of us have been saying that we must learn to live with the virus for many weeks, finally the WHO have finally said the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

SNNUS wrote: »
    A few of us have been saying that we must learn to live with the virus for many weeks, finally the WHO have finally said the same.

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Lady from WHO on tonight show, ya might catch it on the player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Correct. The government promising childcare for frontline staff was bizarre from the start. There was talk of certain crèches opening and then it shifted to child minding in their own homes. At any stage did any of the clowns behind this plan raise any of the glaring holes in this plan. A complete joke

This whole charade sums up why the less government do the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭prunudo

SNNUS wrote: »
    Lady from WHO on tonight show, ya might catch it on the player.

Theres a guy on now calling for a tighter lockdown and until covid disappears no matter how long it takes. People spreading this type of fearmongering shouldn't be allowed on the airwaves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement