Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The median age of confirmed cases is 48. That's what the actual stats say. But downplay that all you would like.

Median age of people catching it, not having serious adverse effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

We are getting about 200 new cases every day. Up and down. Despite many people in lockdown

Many of these are coming from nursing homes, health care workers etc.

However a large percentage are community transmissions.

Do we know where and how people are picking up the virus...….supermarkets, out and about, take out foods/Coffees, public transport, newspapers, post/parcels?

I am sure that those doing the "tracing" are asking relevant questions in order to start the tracing contacts...surely there must be some sort of idea now as to where people are picking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

The median age of confirmed cases is 48. That's what the actual stats say. But downplay that all you would like.

He's not disputing confirmed cases he's disputing the number of people below 50 who suffer from severe cases of covid. Considering the amount of egg you got on your face with Kawasaki disease a couple of days ago I'd suggest maybe taking the time to read posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The median age of confirmed cases is 48. That's what the actual stats say. But downplay that all you would like. 13% of all admissions to ICU were under the age of 44.

The real hospitalisation rate is less than 2%, I think the majority of people could live with that. Flu is circa 1% hospitalisation

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    He's not disputing confirmed cases he's disputing the number of people below 50 who suffer from severe cases of covid. Considering the amount of egg you got on your face with Kawasaki disease a couple of days ago I'd suggest maybe taking the time to read posts.

I wasn't wrong with Kawasaki's. It is certainly under-reported as it mainly effects the cardiovascular system (which it can do asymptomatically) and children coming in with COVID-19 symptoms are usually under respiratory.

• Advertisement

I wasn't wrong with Kawasaki's. It is certainly under-reported as it mainly effects the cardiovascular system (which it can do asymptomatically) and children coming in with COVID-19 symptoms are usually under respiratory.

You were wrong. One of the Google scholar links you sent said that it had a rate of 0.011-0.33% chance of occuring in infected children. Also the British Kawasaki foundation have said they've noticed a decrease in cases so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Birdy

Tony Holohan has become very arrogant. He's on a right old power trip at the moment and pushing continually to maintain as much control as possible.

Did you see them sneering at the journalist who suggested he was being downbeat?

The real hospitalisation rate is less than 2%, I think the majority of people could live with that. Flu is circa 1% hospitalisation

And the full recovery rate for Covid is 84%.

The people not doing well have diabetes, blood pressure, cardio and respiratory issues and are obese (not everybody has ALL of these obviously)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

seamus wrote: »

There is what is on paper and then there is the reality.

There is also the constitution not to mention the Public Service Management Act.

You were wrong. One of the Google scholar links you sent said that it had a rate of 0.011-0.33% chance of occuring in infected children. Also the British Kawasaki foundation have said they've noticed a decrease in cases so far this year.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31103-X/fulltext

There you go. I'm sure you will find some way to ignore the evidence now. It is a concerning trend and I pointed out the flaws in the Kobe paper where you got the 0.11-0.33% from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Italian journalist who's had some excellent updates from the Milan region over the last few months. Update including opening of shops etc to be decided today and could go ahead from Monday. Bars, restaurants etc start of June
    https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1260637394501537792?s=19

I think we'll work through the measures a lot more quickly than indicated as long as the shít doesn't completely hit the fan in other countries where restrictions are being eased.

I’d really like to think this , but I’m worried arrogance is leading this now and Tony Holohan doesn’t seem to like any challenges to his way of thinking and his plans. It might be a like a personal failure if he had to ease these restrictions sooner.

Nobody is seriously challenging him. The 20km rule only coming in on 20th July is crazy!!! My sister and daughter in the UK have no mileage restrictions right now! They can go anywhere while observing social distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Italian journalist who's had some excellent updates from the Milan region over the last few months. Update including opening of shops etc to be decided today and could go ahead from Monday. Bars, restaurants etc start of June
    https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1260637394501537792?s=19
    Christ Tancredi is branching out with no transfer window. First breaking F1 news and now breaking general news :pac:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31103-X/fulltext

There you go. I'm sure you will find some way to ignore the evidence now.

I literally quoted an article you yourself quoted on Google scholar. Just a minute ago you mixed up average age of infection with amount of people hospitalized. You haven't a clue what you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Birdy wrote: »
    Tony Holohan has become very arrogant. He's on a right old power trip at the moment and pushing continually to maintain as much control as possible.

Did you see them sneering at the journalist who suggested he was being downbeat?
    He's done well not to sneer at their collective dumb questioning over these last 10 weeks or so. It's his way of not giving any information up nor pre-empting decisions and he's really good at it. Sadly our journalists could barely be relied not to turn "hopeful" into Freedom Monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

There has been some mention that if we play our cards right, and stay super paranoid, that in two weeks we may see the virus fizzle out here altogether

04e52855374e8fd77f55241cc0ae3ffc4bb07034.png

That's possibly a bit overoptimistic, but if that is the case we will have to ensure that we don't have another large outbreak.

Thankfully NI seems to be taking a slightly different approach to England. Either way we will have to be vigilant in relation to people coming into the country (unlike the first time). We will also need to have a robust system of contact tracing and faster testing in place, neither of which is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

is_that_so wrote: »
    He's done well not to sneer at their collective dumb questioning over these last 10 weeks or so. It's his way of not giving any information up nor pre-empting decisions and he's really good at it. Sadly our journalists could barely be relied not to turn "hopeful" into Freedom Monday!

Do you know what a democracy is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭uli84

So it starts, people are being asked to return to work but don’t have anywhere/anyone to take care of the kids. i’m on a single mums fb group and same question every day... what a mess up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

It is a dictatorship of the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

pjohnson wrote: »
    Christ Tancredi is branching out with no transfer window. First breaking F1 news and now breaking general news :pac:

Dont know whether to take his reporting seriously after some of his shocking transfer rumours :pac:

• Advertisement

I literally quoted an article you yourself quoted on Google scholar. Just a minute ago you mixed up average age of infection with amount of people hospitalized. You haven't a clue what you're doing.

Care to actually comment on the evidence provided rather than attacking me. Show some critical analysis! Also, this was the paper I linked to which was a case study.

https://www.cesm-cv.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/kwasaki-y-covid19.pdf No mention of "rates". It was another poster who posted the study that you are referring to. But yeah, have a pop at me.

I’d really like to think this , but I’m worried arrogance is leading this now and Tony Holohan doesn’t seem to like any challenges to his way of thinking and his plans. It might be a like a personal failure if he had to ease these restrictions sooner.

Nobody is seriously challenging him. The 20km rule only coming in on 20th July is crazy!!! My sister and daughter in the UK have no mileage restrictions right now! They can go anywhere while observing social distancing
    Look what they are doing in other places is not an argument, this is how we are doing it. Let's not hold the UK up as an example of anything good. Oh, he's been challenged, very weakly in most cases, and they have acknowledged issues. They have moved to address them as a crisis management response, as it should be. Who knows what will happen over the next 12-15 weeks. On thing is sure, we will be switching to political over public health decisions quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

There's no way we'll keep going this slowly if the rest of europe is moving more quickly. Tony Holohan, despite what some on here like to claim, is not in charge.

I think we were given dates because of a public demand for dates. Leo has been clear from the start that those dates are flexible depending on how things develop.

This post has all the hallmarks of the start of a rant. Go on then, let it loose! Remember though, all of this "anti-democratic" activity comes courtesy of the 1947 Health Act and its amendments.

Care to actually comment on the evidence provided rather than attacking me. Show some critical analysis! Also, this was the paper I linked to which was a case study.

https://www.cesm-cv.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/kwasaki-y-covid19.pdf No mention of "rates". It was another poster who posted the study that you are referring to. But yeah, have a pop at me.

For the third time I quoted an article you attached a couple of days ago that said there was a rate of Kawasaki occurrence of 0.011-0.33% of cases. I fail to see how I'm attacking you unless you're the most sensitive soul who ever lived.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

This is actually reasonable.

For the record, I actually do think the lockdown is too slow in relaxing. It's just some posters have absolutely lost the run of themselves calling themselves the "pro-economic brigade" or whatnot. Many of them have little or no understanding of the virus or how things could have gone a lot worse for Ireland. They seem to think that just because the hospitals weren't overrun, the lockdown was an over-reaction and dictatorial. When it was those steps we took in lockdown preventing it.

100% agree here. I have family in HK and Covid-19 was on my radar back in early/mid January. ABout 2 months ago I was explaiing the theory of the restirctions and tried to get the point across that if it is successful then the nation will not see any effects (from a health perspective) So far this seems to be the truth.
    But I do feel that the 5 phases of 3 weeks each is too slow and cautious. 3 phases of 3 week or maybe 5 phases of 2 weeks each would be better. I dont think we can go back to 'normal' but at least have it before mid August!!

As an aside my nieces and nephews in HK go back to school next Monday. Their lockdown started end on January. But they have a population that already practised correct handwashing and mask wearing after 2 previous epidemics.

Another aside, 2 siblings (seperately) got infected and tested positive. Both were essentially bed ridden for 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

is_that_so wrote: »

He was asked a question on Monday about people with Covid symptoms who tested negative. There has been a lot of discussion and evidence of false negatives yet he said that if the test was negative then it is negative. That is irresponsible. What he should have said is that those with symptoms should be isolating (as they should with any virus).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Literally, the person I quoted suggested it. It may not kill many young people but there have been many young people (IE <55 tears old) hospitalised due to COVID-19. If you are admitted to hospital, there is likely a lay off of 1-3 months before fully recovering.

People here are actually really underestimating the effect that COVID-19 can have on a normal young person. But it suits some agendas to pretend that only a tiny minority of people under 55 have any ill effects due to COVID-19.

Boris Johnson was off work for about 3 weeks in total, although he did work in isolation for a week. For those who don't go to ICU, its about a month off. Not the end of the world. For those who end up in ICU its longer. This latter group represents a miniscule number of the workforce and many were probably not in work already due to underlying conditions.

He was asked a question on Monday about people with Covid symptoms who tested negative. There has been a lot of discussion and evidence of false negatives yet he said that if the test was negative then it is negative. That is irresponsible. What he should have said is that those with symptoms should be isolating (as they should with any virus).
    Way back during the hypochondriac phase when it was 3% positive De Gascun pointed out that people had other things. Having symptoms or thinking you have symptoms and getting a negative result suggests you have something else.

Please define lots of evidence.

• Advertisement

In Ireland, we don't like to give an age breakdown of the deaths. Its not really clear why we are not doing this.
    Tony was pushed on this last week and when he did provide a breakdown, almost 1000 deaths were in the over 80's category.
    And most already had very serious underlying issues - terminal cancer, late stages of COPD etc.

Only 389 cases have been admitted to ICU. How is that possible when we have more deaths?

The only explanation is that most of these people are so sick that ICU is a waste of time. For example, they're already on their deathbed.

Somebody above said that over 10% of ICU admissions were younger people. Well, possibly... but that figure would only amount to 30 or 40 people.

Project fear needs to end. There is very little risk of anybody below 65 dying of Covid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement