Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

3) Lots of young people end up in hospital and ICU. The hospitals will be overwhelmed.

Not really, we've never been close to capacity in the hospitals. In fact, all of our ICU cases added together since the start of this is less than our capacity. The hospitals are emptier than they've ever been right now. And the people in hospital is mainly elderly people that they are keeping as a precaution before returning to nursing homes.

Just as a point to this, the number of people suffering from COVID-19 in ICUs never went over the capacity of ICUs. The number of overall people in ICU's did numerous times. We also doubled our capacity.

Also, in mid- late march, we were averaging 15-20 admissions to ICU/day. That would have overwhelmed the health service. A lockdown was essential to prevent COVID-19 overwhelming the country.

As of April 1st, there was more people under 65 been hospitalised than over 65.

I get that you are speaking from an emotive place but it would be better to deal with the relaxation of the lockdown in a more rational way.

The only reason that the hospitals haven't been overwhelmed now is because of the interventions we took in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I saw a guy driving a car with a mask on the other day.

The fcukin' loons we have living in the country.

Once again I will write this out . I put my mask on at home before going shopping . I like to adjust it , fix it , get my glasses on without them fogging . I then drive 10 minutes to the supermarket and get in the queue with my mask sitting comfortably .
    So I am one of the loons you see driving with a mask one . I also couldn’t care less what people think of me. People are so quick to judge other people decisions .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

I saw a guy driving a car with a mask on the other day.

The fcukin' loons we have living in the country.

Had one of these - mask and gloves. Overtakes me on a blind bend on the wrong side of a very narrow busy road with a solid white line, just 30m from a set of traffic lights (which were red). Outside a garda station.

No amount of mask and gloves are going to save you from your own stupidity.:confused: Summed it up really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wakka12 wrote: »
    Could you link to where anyone claimed 300,000 could die. As far as I am aware 85,000 was the worst case scemario figure discussed. In addition to that, I've personally never heard anyone claim young people are as affectedby this as older people.

And the reason less than 3% of the population have contracted the virus so far is absolutely and wihtout a doubt because of lockdown, hospitals were not overhwelmed as lockdown slowed the rate of infection down to zero. Whether they would have managed without lockdown is up for debate, but it certainly wasnt looking good in early March, and based on foreign precedent also seemed like the best decision at the time

Dont see how the point about young people being super spreaders is relevant, what does it matter? The virus clearly spreads quickly regardless of who is doing the most spreading.

A second wave(or rather first wave which was abruptly ended) will come, but as you say, it is something we will simply have to deal with, the economic cost is no longer feasible.

85,000 was never going to happen. Even a bare minimum of social distancing without a full lockdown as well as a couple of steps such as regular hand washing, hand sanitizing, optional mask wearing or mandatory on public transport, etc etc and we'd be nowhere near 85,000. Sweden without a lockdown and twice our population will also come nowhere near to 85,000.

Even if most people over 70 or in vulnerable categories followed a couple of minor steps such as mask and glove wearing, etc, they'd avoid the worst.

Many things are here to stay such as better hygiene, no handshakes, etc and most importantly contact tracing. That said the vast majority who get this will have a mild version.

But full lockdowns have had their day. We will just have to live with this virus, and mitigate and contain as much as possible clusters and outbreaks.

We pay our government and healthcare administrators some of the best salaries in the world. If they cannot solve this, then the problem is with them, not the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Once again I will write this out . I put my mask on at home before going shopping . I like to adjust it , fix it , get my glasses on without them fogging . I then drive 10 minutes to the supermarket and get in the queue with my mask sitting comfortably .
    So I am one of the loons you see driving with a mask one . I also couldn’t care less what people think of me

I would be suspicious of that facehugger poster, clearly they are just annoyed they can't latch onto your face to implant the alien eggs :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

But full lockdowns have had their day. We will just have to live with this virus, and mitigate and contain as much as possible clusters and outbreaks.

We pay our government and healthcare administrators some of the best salaries in the world - if they cannot solve this problem, then the problem is with them, not the general public.

Even the WHO says that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

dockysher wrote: »
    Quick question guys, my partner is a nurse on coronavirus warde in hospital.
    We needed a valve changed to water pump badly as it making water run really slow. We were waiting a few weeks since we asked landlord and no sign of plumber.
    So we rang yesterday and said job was critical so plumber came out to do job and in general conservation he asked where me and my partner worked.
    I told him and mentioned she worked in hospital, she is at work today. He then flat out refused to do work and said any healthcare worker needs to isolate for 2 weeks before he comes into there house and was very mad he wasnt informed of where she worked beforehand.
    Is this not discrimination against healthcare workers and nurses or had he the right to be informed where we worked before he called out for job?

Brings a new meaning to the term work shy. If he had any idea where the economy is heading he wouldn’t be refusing work. He’ll be begging for work come September. Tell him to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Unless Ireland plans to isolate itself from America (arguably our most important trading partner) we need to forget about any dreams of eliminating this disease.

The onus has to now shift from the government on to the public. It’s up to individuals to use what they’ve learned over the last few months to take their own precautions and manage their own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Unless Ireland plans to isolate itself from America (arguably our most important trading partner) we need to forget about any dreams of eliminating this disease.

The onus has to now shift from the government on to the public. It’s up to individuals to use what they’ve learned over the last few months to take their own precautions and manage their own risk.

I think there needs to be a complete travel ban on the US until someone intelligent is at the helm. Cargo can continue as normal but no passenger travel until someone who isn't a complete ****ing imbecile takes charge of the situation over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

So Paul Reid (Head of HSE) has essentially accused Tony H of going on a one man crusade earlier today.

The inquest into his actions will be brutal and he will be accountable this time

• Advertisement

So Paul Reid (Head of HSE) has essentially accused Tony H of going on a one man crusade earlier today.

The inquest into his actions will be brutal and he will be accountable this time

I'm not one for defending Tony but I get the feeling the HSE are only bitter because something exceptional was expected of them in exceptional times, however they are still the same bloated old broken heap of **** they have always been. How dare you expect anything above the current standard from us is the general vibe of those letters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What did he say?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

For the average Joe soap, the “relaxing” of restrictions on Monday is really another three week extension of the current lockdown. Unless you live within 5k of a garden centre or electrical shop then your life isn’t going to change in any shape.

For the average Joe soap, the “relaxing” of restrictions on Monday is really another three week extension of the current lockdown. Unless you live within 5k of a garden centre or electrical shop then your life isn’t going to change in any shape.

The outdoor gathering of up to 4 in a different household with distance is introduced, but to be fair people have been doing this since the 17th of March:pac:

Visitations really need to be sooner than July or August - I couldn't give a **** about hardware shops or pubs but I kind of want to see my parents again some time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Just as a point to this, the number of people suffering from COVID-19 in ICUs never went over the capacity of ICUs. The number of overall people in ICU's did numerous times. We also doubled our capacity.

Also, in mid- late march, we were averaging 15-20 admissions to ICU/day. That would have overwhelmed the health service. A lockdown was essential to prevent COVID-19 overwhelming the country.

As of April 1st, there was more people under 65 been hospitalised than over 65.

I get that you are speaking from an emotive place but it would be better to deal with the relaxation of the lockdown in a more rational way.

The only reason that the hospitals haven't been overwhelmed now is because of the interventions we took in March.

Just on that, isnt it possible that the only reason hospitals havent been overwhelmed is because of social distancing only being adhered to mid March onward?

The point I am making, is that a lot of countries are now out of lockdown/ are about to fully lift their lockdown by 25th of May, only 2 things they ask of their citizens is social distancing and masks on public transports recommended. Has covid become less deadly in the last 2 months?

Just thinking, why did we shut down our businesses for 5 months and create huge unemployment? Is that a by product of asking citizens to do social distancing? Or was it more of a "I got no idea whats going on, to be safe we should all stay at home even though in mid March we had a lot of indicators that elderly are the only group at risk, while we are at it lets shut down every non office business for 4 - 5 months"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What did he say?

I was being a tad dramatic.
    Essentially documents between Reid and some other official were released where Reid said it was regrettable that Tony promised testing to the nation without consulting the HSE beforehand and he had no prior knowledge of this gaurantee before the press conference's

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I think there needs to be a complete travel ban on the US until someone intelligent is at the helm. Cargo can continue as normal but no passenger travel until someone who isn't a complete ****ing imbecile takes charge of the situation over there.

Wait a second, you think imbeciles are in charge in US and not in here?

Also, what do we do with the 265,000 people working in tourism? Do we just tell them to wait until US elect a more appealing president? Should we hand them 350 euro a week while they wait?

Wait a second, you think imbeciles are in charge in US and not in here?

Also, what do we do with the 265,000 people working in tourism? Do we just tell them to wait until US elect a more appealing president? Should we hand them 350 euro a week while they wait?

Our government handled this as well they could, I don't even have words to describe the absolute state of the muppet guiding the US on this.

As for those in tourism, I don't want to sound cold but I'd suggest they find something else to work in for now - tourism is dead and won't be back for a long time to come.

Our government handled this as well they could, I don't even have words to describe the absolute state of the muppet guiding the US on this.

As for those in tourism, I don't want to sound cold but I'd suggest they find something else to work in for now - tourism is dead and won't be back for a long time to come.

Tony, is it you?

• Advertisement

Just on that, isnt it possible that the only reason hospitals havent been overwhelmed is because of social distancing only being adhered to mid March onward?

The point I am making, is that a lot of countries are now out of lockdown/ are about to fully lift their lockdown by 25th of May, only 2 things they ask of their citizens is social distancing and masks on public transports recommended. Has covid become less deadly in the last 2 months?

Just thinking, why did we shut down our businesses for 5 months and create huge unemployment? Is that a by product of asking citizens to do social distancing? Or was it more of a "I got no idea whats going on, to be safe we should all stay at home even though in mid March we had a lot of indicators that elderly are the only group at risk, while we are at it lets shut down every non office business for 4 - 5 months"?

Which countries are only asking for facemasks on public transport and social distancing? Not that I don't believe you but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Colibri wrote: »
    The outdoor gathering of up to 4 in a different household with distance is introduced, but to be fair people have been doing this since the 17th of March:pac:

Yep people who live within 5k of each other have already been doing this for weeks now. Similarly the garden centre in my locality has been opened for weeks and so has the hardware shops. There’s a pitch near me where I walk my dog and for the last week and a half I’ve seen gatherings of lads out training together and getting exercise, all while maintaining social distance. It’s great to see.
    Realistically the public have been operating in and around stage 3 themselves for the past few weeks, and the figures are still positive. We should just push on ahead to stages 4 and 5 now and be done with it. This 3 weeks between each stage is ridiculous nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

My worry is that there’s actually real people out there who believe this.

My worry is that there’s actually real people out there who believe this.

Believe what?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So I am one of the loons you see driving with a mask one . I also couldn’t care less what people think of me. People are so quick to judge other people decisions .

Cool story.

You've more chance of crashing your car than you do of catching the Covid though.

Yep people who live within 5k of each other have already been doing this for weeks now. Similarly the garden centre in my locality has been opened for weeks and so has the hardware shops. There’s a pitch near me where I walk my dog and for the last week and a half I’ve seen gatherings of lads out training together and getting exercise, all while maintaining social distance. It’s great to see.
    Realistically the public have been operating in and around stage 3 themselves for the past few weeks, and the figures are still positive. We should just push on ahead to stages 4 and 5 now and be done with it. This 3 weeks between each stage is ridiculous nonsense.

That's a really good point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Believe what?

That we should abandon our tourist industry and tell them to change career and also in some way distance our selves entirely from the United States.

Which countries are only asking for facemasks on public transport and social distancing? Not that I don't believe you but just curious.

You dazzle me with your questions.

But I will give you another chance to join pro economic brigade. Just joking, you are banned.

Austria, Germany, Czech republic (although they will remove the need for masks soon enough) and the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Visitations really need to be sooner than July or August - I couldn't give a **** about hardware shops or pubs but I kind of want to see my parents again some time soon.

Yeah, I'd like to see my parents some time soon also. According to you though, I shouldn't be allowed into my own country to do so for potentially another 4 years, despite the fact that where I live in the US has way less cases and deaths than Ireland.

• Advertisement

Believe what?

believe tourism is dead.. That's your new board failte slogan eh.

you sound like an index linked civic servant, a trust fund baby or a banker!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement