Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Ah come on now, Roche antibody tests give 99.8% accuracy.

Surely thats reliable?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-13/u-k-boosted-in-virus-fight-by-clearance-of-roche-antibody-test

Being taken up by Germany, US and UK now.

This is the way forward

"Roche’s antibody test won emergency use in the U.S. earlier this month and clearance for countries accepting Europe’s CE marking. On May 4, the U.K. government said it was in talks with the company about a mass roll-out of its tests. The Swiss pharmaceutical giant expects production to reach the high double-digit millions by June and pass the 100 million monthly threshold later this year."

Fantastic!

I hear good things about the Abbott test too.

Maybe Tony wants to win over some people who lost faith in him over the CervicalCheck scandal? Puzzling to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The 5k thing is ridiculous and makes no sense. I know in theory it’s to stop congregating at beaches and parks but you should be allowed to exercise anywhere you want provided you don’t loiter about the place and can maintain social distancing. In your case you’d be doing absolutely no one any harm by taking your bike out and exceeding the distance.

And it’s ridiculous that people cannot drive in a car , no stopping etc to see their family who live further than 5 kms . In theory I can see one daughter who lives 4.6 kms away and not see another daughter who lives 25 kms away .

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

The 5k thing is ridiculous and makes no sense. I know in theory it’s to stop congregating at beaches and parks but you should be allowed to exercise anywhere you want provided you don’t loiter about the place and can maintain social distancing. In your case you’d be doing absolutely no one any harm by taking your bike out and exceeding the distance.
    Absolutely, I have being staying inside since last March, but I think enough is enough with this long drawn out affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

mr zulu wrote: »
    Absolutely, I have being staying inside since last March, but I think enough is enough with this long drawn out affair.

I don’t blame you. Strap a Lidl bag around the handle bars to be safe and off ya go :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Simon Harris just tweeted "We have 19,470 recovered people from covid19"

That means there are 4,000 active cases of covid19 in Ireland today.

Thats one in 1250 people.

1/1250.

People who are predicting 2nd wave, boy covid got a lot of spreading to do to make your predictions a reality.

• Advertisement

1-2 ICU admissions per day. The whole country is on lockdown and people can’t see their families, people can’t access the services they need, people can’t access life saving screenings and the economy is on a knife edge, because of 1-2 ICU admissions per day. I’m sorry but when is someone going to address the elephant in the room and call this out once and for all for the farce that it is.

And yes I knowwwww this is because of the restrictions. But the same people who say that these figures are low because of the restrictions are the same people who say we never really entered a lockdown and who lambast people who have been flouting the rules for weeks now. So which is it? This is fcuking mental. Italy had to shut up shop because their country was on its knees. It’s health service was on the brink of collapse and their hospitals couldn’t cope. Here, we have 1-2 ICU admissions per day and won’t see sight nor light of any normality for the next three months. Holy mother of god would someone with a brain make a proper decision and end this farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

1/1250.

People who are predicting 2nd wave, boy covid got a lot of spreading to do to make your predictions a reality.

There was 1/5,000,000 at the end of February.
    Look what happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Was just up at the shops for the first time in about a month. Had to cue around the block granted it moved fast and wasn't that much of an issue. But can't see social distancing working on a cold wet day that's for sure. It just doesn't seem workable longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you know what else is unreliable? Covid testing!

The tests we use only have 70% sensitivity.

We get false negatives all the time. Even people with severe symptoms who have been in close contact with confirmed cases have received negative results.
    Do you have a link to any of these claims?

Allinall wrote: »
    There was 1/5,000,000 at the end of February.
    Look what happened then.

At the end of February we were hugging and kissing at funerals , waltzing around shops and in pubs and restaurants . No one is doing that now we are well aware of distancing etc now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

vid36 wrote: »
    It means using phone data to track your movements if you are infected and also contacting people you have been in close proximity with in the day prior to your diagnosis.
    Unlike the proposed App, it is done automatically whether you consent or not.

And if ye just head off and leave your 'phone at home...

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    At the end of February we were hugging and kissing at funerals , waltzing around shops and in pubs and restaurants . No one is doing that now we are well aware of distancing etc now

Yes, Coppers was opened, Diceys.

People were visiting nursing homes, hugging.

People thought covid was in China only. Etc etc.

Looking forward to the day when I can book a cinema ticket again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Breezin

I've taken the liberty of starting a thread to focus on restoring the right to travel within our own country. (God, I sound like Gemma :eek:).

Debating whether or not we can enter phase one. Did you ever hear such ****e
    People have had it up to here with NPHET and their ways. And yes I’ve had a few vinos this evening lol sick of the lot of them

I do think we're going to head into Phase 1, but these words are horrible.

]People have had it up to here with NPHET and their ways. And yes I’ve had a few vinos this evening lol sick of the lot of them

How bad! Treat yourself :D

I have no doubt we’ll start phase 1 on Monday. It would be impossible to justify not starting.

However, my big concern is that Tony will call for lockdown the minute a few new cases come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

Colibri wrote: »

Yep.

They should just check boards for advice on what to do.

Colibri wrote: »
    I do think we're going to head into Phase 1, but these words are horrible.

Imagine they come out and say "Some UCC professor told us that if we keep the lockdown for another few weeks we could eliminate the virus. We want to go with that strategy as it will enable a quicker lifting of restrictions mid June onwards"

The scenes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

There’s simply no questions this stage- start phase or the public will start phase 3 on their own. No more extensions, no more if this or but that - cut the **** and get the wheels moving again now.

The only things they should be debating at this stage is whether or not to scrap stages one two and three and move straight to stage four. Debating whether or not to move to stage one when most people moved to stage one two weeks ago just shows them up for the farce they are

1/1250.

How many cases were there in February?

Blaze420 wrote: »

Cut the emotion out and look at it realistically - there won't be any tourists or tourism for the remainder of this year. It's done for and no amount of if's r buts will change that fact. Businesses need to be prepared to sink like many others already because these aren't normal times. Air/Ferry traffic will not resume as normal so why pin your hopes on it? There should be mandatory 2 week quarantines for anyone coming in from abroad for the forseeable future - how do you plan to get around that?

What I said might be unsavoury but its the cold hard truth and if I was working in a tourism related job right now I'd be looking for something else ASAP.

Your very next post...
    Blaze420 wrote: »
    Absolutely - the last time I saw them was March 1st :( There is absolutely no reason to keep this restriction in place - it could be managed as easily as if both households have been symptom free for 3 weeks then visits are allowed. I will be breaking it soon enough myself if the government don't do something about it.

So never mind hundreds of thousands of jobs, fúck that inconsequential emotional waffle, you need to see your parents and that's just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

The only things they should be debating at this stage is whether or not to scrap stages one two and three and move straight to stage four. Debating whether or not to move to stage one when most people moved to stage one two weeks ago just shows them up for the farce they are

I wonder are they debating to do extend by one more week to bring the figure right down so later stages can happen sooner. We can’t keep country closed up until July. The fact there is no solution to the healthcare staff and childcare means they may need to open crèches earlier.

Debating whether or not we can enter phase one. Did you ever hear such ****e
    People have had it up to here with NPHET and their ways. And yes I’ve had a few vinos this evening lol sick of the lot of them

Would you prefer if they blindly stumbled ahead without any review? There should be a decision point at every phase. And that could as easily be to accelerate

They are considering if Phase 1 can go ahead ? Phase 1 went ahead two weeks ago in the community and the numbers still fell . Time for Phase 2 actually

Allinall wrote: »
    Yep.

They should just check boards for advice on what to do.

I'm on the fence when it comes to this lockdown issue, but the government isn't immune to criticism around this whole mess.

How many cases were there in February?

In February no one heard of social distancing or hand washing or heaven help us a mask . It was different times and now we are far more prepared in supermarkets and shops etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    They are considering if Phase 1 can go ahead ? Phase 1 went ahead two weeks ago in the community and the numbers still fell . Time for Phase 2 actually

Phase 1 didn’t go ahead two weeks ago. Phase 1 starts on the 18th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement