Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Phase 1 didn’t go ahead two weeks ago. Phase 1 starts on the 18th

I said in the community . Not officially , No

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Would you prefer if they blindly stumbled ahead without any review? There should be a decision point at every phase. And that could as easily be to accelerate

There should be no debating whether or not we move to stage one on Monday. This kind of dithering just winds people up and it’s patronising ****e. The truth is we are already in stage one, possibly two. And we are doing exceptionally well all things considered. No one cares about the internal dramas between government and NPHET, that’s theirs to sort. We have done what has been asked and the longer they hum and haw the more people are going to make up their own minds. There can be a middle ground between delaying until august and ploughing into the deep end. Caution is needed of course but the state of them all making the decisions. Such a lack of leadership from the government and is shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

426 cases today...what a coincidence that it's coming up towards phase 1. I'm sorry I don't buy what NPHET are selling anymore. I see empty hospitals, quiet ICU's and healthy people in 'high risk jobs' thank goodness. If they attempt to hype this up I'm going to have to ask serious questions regarding what is going on here and why our civil liberties continue to be taken away from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

426 new cases, but... he said around half of these are previous cases that are *now* being reported, but actually accrued over a period of time going back from mid-March..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

426 cases today...what a coincidence that it's coming up towards phase 1. I'm sorry I don't buy what NPHET are selling anymore. I see empty hospitals, quiet ICU's and healthy people in 'high risk jobs' thank goodness. If they attempt to hype this up I'm going to have to ask serious questions regarding what is going on here and why our civil liberties continue to be taken away from us.

223 are historical cases. Convenient timing to add them to the daily numbers when beginning phase 1 is under question. There will be ructions if restrictions aren’t lifted on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

SusieBlue wrote: »
    223 are historical cases. Convenient timing to add them to the daily numbers when beginning phase 1 is under question. There will be ructions if restrictions aren’t lifted on Monday.

Absolutely - I’ve had faith in them until now but the timing is too convienient for these figures.

This is so frustrating. The headlines now are 426 new cases. When it’s actually 140

This is so frustrating. The headlines now are 426 new cases. When it’s actually 140

They are fooling nobody - let Leo come out tomorrow and ask for another 2-3 weeks and see what happens. Enough is enough

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

Allinall wrote: »
    There was 1/5,000,000 at the end of February.
    Look what happened then.

That was before anyone knew it was spreading. Now that the public is aware they can take precautions to reduce the spread. In fact there’s no reason to believe that the reduction in spread is caused by anything other than the voluntary actions of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Allinall

I think all the posters here clamouring for restrictions to be lifted will be so disappointed when they actually are on Monday.

The cause will be gone.

• Advertisement

I think all the posters here clamouring for restrictions to be lifted will be so disappointed when they actually are on Monday.

The cause will be gone.

Are you one of those people who wish we’d stay locked down till 2022?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

The cause will be gone.

There are 5 phases. The cause to save the economy and employment (from Tony & co) will not be over.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    They are fooling nobody - let Leo come out tomorrow and ask for another 2-3 weeks and see what happens. Enough is enough

Why do people believe “they” want restrictions to continue and have a vested interest in manipulating data to maintain it?

So many of those people here. They are everywhere

Why do people believe “they” want restrictions to continue and have a vested interest in manipulating data to maintain it?

Because that’s all we’ve seen to date - we approach a government “announcement” which we all hope will signal some return to normality, only for Leo to go to Independence Day mode and tell us all how important it is we extend another 2-3 weeks. Do you not smell something off with this? We are low 100’s all week and the day before Leo’s big speech we spike to 400 - “sorry lads but we are not where we need to be yet so we need you to lockdown for another 2 weeks”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The cause will be gone.

Before the roadmap was announced people were saying they just wanted a clear plan. Once it was announced, it moved on to the plan isn't fast enough.

I'm sure if things proceed as planned, or faster, it will move on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Pretty convenient to discover the mess up and add to the total cases the day before Cabinet meets to discuss phase one

All many will see if the headline 426 figure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Are you one of those people who want everything open tomorrow so you can go to the pub?

Generalisations with no basis in reality don't help.

Because that’s all we’ve seen to date - we approach a government “announcement” which we all hope will signal some return to normality, only for Leo to go to Independence Day mode and tell us all how important it is we extend another 2-3 weeks. Do you not smell something off with this? We are low 100’s all week and the day before Leo’s big speech we spike to 400 - “sorry lads but we are not where we need to be yet so we need you to lockdown for another 2 weeks”

Daily cases do not form the decision. All the modelling would be by date of test. They even said it that the cases seem high but they are not now. I fully believed when lockdown until May 5th was announced it would be extended for two weeks so wasn’t surprised at all that it was. I would now be shocked if phase 1 was delayed however and expect an acceleration between phase 2 and 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I can see American style public protests if they try to delay for another 3 weeks.

It’s not something I would condone or support but I can see it happening. People are beyond fed up now and patience is wearing thin.

The tension has been simmering away all week and it will be at boiling point tomorrow if Leo chickens out.

• Advertisement

Are you one of those people who want everything open tomorrow so you can go to the pub?

Generalisations with no basis in reality don't help.

No I couldn’t care less about the pubs or shops or anything else - I want to visit my family and at some stage, I’d actually like to get back to the office for a couple of days a week. Neither will happen at this rate, and boosting the figures to 4x what they were yesterday in advance of the announcement reeks of **** and nothing else. THEY have ****ed up again, THEY are still not at the level they promised for testing but the figures convieniently spike the day before it???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Sorry if it's been asked, it's moving at a fast space.

But with the likes of garden centres and that opening from Monday - is there a limit to how far you can travel to one?

No I couldn’t care less about the pubs or shops or anything else - I want to visit my family and at some stage, I’d actually like to get back to the office for a couple of days a week. Neither will happen at this rate, and boosting the figures to 4x what they were yesterday in advance of the announcement reeks of **** and nothing else. THEY have ****ed up again, THEY are still not at the level they promised for testing but the figures convieniently spike the day before it???

I expect you to be proved wrong tomorrow. I do not however expect you to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong.

On visiting your family - do what I do and put your work clothes in the boot and go and “help an elderly relative with their garden”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The cause will be gone.

There are no restrictions being lifted on Monday. As in, for the most part they were already lifted weeks ago. It’s just another way for the government, or should I say NPHET, to keep us in a chokehold for the next three weeks while trying to fool us into thinking measures are being lifted. Keeping us compliant with the illusion we are being “given” something while being given nothing at all. Laughable.

I expect you to be proved wrong tomorrow. I do not however expect you to hold your hands up and admit you were wrong.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong and I sincerely hope Leo has them balls to push on with the plan despite this - all I’m saying is I smell a rat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Do you not see the frustration and anxiety this is causing . Let people let off steam at this stage . People are fearful of a repeat performance of stretching the restrictions and if they get good news its a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The cause will be gone.

We still have amongst the slowest plans in Europe

That's not going to change with a miniscule lifting of restrictions on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

I can't help but think this is just a political game for them now.

On a related note - are they reporting non-covid deaths as covid certified? As in, if someone is in the hospital and has lets say, meningitis but picks up covid and dies is it reported as a covid death? Or is that just a facebook conspiracy theory.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you not see the frustration and anxiety this is causing . Let people let off steam at this stage . People are fearful of a repeat performance of stretching the restrictions and if they get good news its a bonus

It’s always better to undercommit and over deliver. It would be worse to lay out a more aggressive plan and then have to row back because it was too aggressive

• Advertisement

Debating whether or not we can enter phase one. Did you ever hear such ****e
    People have had it up to here with NPHET and their ways. And yes I’ve had a few vinos this evening lol sick of the lot of them

I agree. They have done a decent job up to now, a few hiccups, (allowing some nursing homes to be decimated, etc), but overall they kept the wider population safe which was their aim. Now they need to stop clutching their pearls and speed the process up. Unfortunately, I don't think any politician has the mandate to make that call against NPHET advice. So, not going to happen. Enjoy your wine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement