Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Allinall wrote: »
    Take a chill pill.

I never said you were wrong. Just making stuff up.

It’s in your post.

I’m sorry for having a go at you. I don’t think I’m making stuff up, but I am highly suspicious of news stories today saying Leo is super confident about starting roadmap on
    Monday and then we get these artificially inflated figures this evening. It just seems like a smoke screen to buy another 2 weeks and I don’t buy it, too easy for him to turn around tomorrow and do the “we’re not where we need to be” spiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,924 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don’t think anyone is saying they should have been kept quiet. It just seems a little strategic to land them on us today when we’ve had a clear run of good figures. Especially when they place so much emphasis on this week and how we are doing in terms of lifting any restrictions come Monday. All he had to do was specify the majority were historical

They got them today when should he have let us know. He explained them. If paper are going to put up a headline that on them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

VonLuck wrote: »
    Everyone that's saying that "the people have had enough" or something similar, where exactly are these people? I know that my circle of friends, work colleagues and family are generally accepting of the current measures. They may not be happy with them, but are putting up with it. I also don't see much dissent on other social media platforms or from journalists, for the most part.

Is the general public actually that annoyed with the restrictions or is this just some sort of bubble within boards?
    Had a discussion with a work collegue recently. He admitted he thinks the Covid restrictions are a load of muck and pointless.
    He said he was AFRAID to speak his mind for fear of what someone might say to him.
    Can you imagine, its PC on steroids. People are afraid to speak about it

Just back from a walk in the local woods which has playing pitches and a playground beside it. Plenty of people out with thier kids enjoying the dry sunny evening.

Then along comes the cops to pontificate and move people on. Pathetic stuff.

This lockdown is a disgrace and the guards are a disgrace for enforcing the rule of an unelected totalitarian regime lead by chairman Holohan.

Evening Gemma

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Evening Gemma

That’s quite pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

So where should he have said them. You can't blame Tony for headlines and if you are that is just reaching to try and beat him with another stick and its embarrassing low

Do you not understand that people are suffering from anxiety and frustration . We are missing family and grandchildren and this increase in cases is so frustrating
    He could have stressed that the cases today were 140 .
    People are on edge and dont need this anxiety or lack of understanding of what frustrates people

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I’m sorry for having a go at you. I don’t think I’m making stuff up, but I am highly suspicious of news stories today saying Leo is super confident about starting roadmap on
    Monday and then we get these artificially inflated figures this evening. It just seems like a smoke screen to buy another 2 weeks and I don’t buy it, too easy for him to turn around tomorrow and do the “we’re not where we need to be” spiel.

2 weeks ago we were getting none of the positive talk we are getting this week even Tony Houlihan is more upbeat most of the time. They were figures they got that had to be included in the totals and were said these are from way earlier.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    That’s quite pathetic.

It was a joke Jesus

2 weeks ago we were getting none of the positive talk we are getting this week even Tony Houlihan is more upbeat most of the time. They were figures they got that had to be included in the totals and were said these are from way earlier.

Yes but without the briefing as a reference or any reference to the age, most people are reading that headline as 400+ today. Historic figures are not needed, we need real time to 1/2 day delay figures only.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you not understand that people are suffering from anxiety and frustration . We are missing family and grandchildren and this increase in cases is so frustrating
    He could have stressed that the cases today were 140 .
    People are on edge and dont need this anxiety or lack of understanding of what frustrates people

YES I KNOW I AM F%^*&g ONE OF THEM. I am missing out on all except the grand kids. He stressed the figure we all know the figure its been everywhere. He can stress it all he likes but people will write what they want regardless

I am looking forward to the end of this just like everybody else. However I don't want to be told in 4 moths time sorry martingriff back in to your house as that would kill me. Things are started to open up, thing will be moved and we will move forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It’s always better to undercommit and over deliver. It would be worse to lay out a more aggressive plan and then have to row back because it was too aggressive

You can rest easy knowing Leo and Tony have no intention of laying out a more agressive plan.

They are going at a snails pace and people are sick of hearing how "we are all in this together " and "stay the course".

I'm noticing more cars on the road this week and parents and kids enjoying the sunshine, people are moving on with their lives and won't put up with being told to lock themselves away anymore.

Jesus, our 2nd biggest city has 1 covid case on ventilator and pubs gotta wait till 10th of August to reopen. that is 3 months away from today. 3 months.....

This shambles gets more shambolic by the minute.

Well if pubs can get there act together and get the plans for social distancing going and not like a typical Friday night they will be open much sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

VonLuck wrote: »
    Everyone that's saying that "the people have had enough" or something similar, where exactly are these people? I know that my circle of friends, work colleagues and family are generally accepting of the current measures. They may not be happy with them, but are putting up with it. I also don't see much dissent on other social media platforms or from journalists, for the most part.

Is the general public actually that annoyed with the restrictions or is this just some sort of bubble within boards?

It's boards buddy. It's not the same as reality lived by most people. This thread is crazy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I thought they were going to provide a list of what can reopen in advance of 18th May? How can a business prepare in advance if they don't know whether they can reopen. I guess queues will be mad everywhere for some time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

You obviously aren't affected by covid 19 restrictions because it you were your tune would be different i can assure you.

Of course I'm affected. Everyone is. Some more than others admittedly. I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home, but I'm impacted in every other aspect of my life.

You can rest easy knowing Leo and Tony have no intention of laying out a more agressive plan.

They are going at a snails pace and people are sick of hearing how "we are all in this together " and "stay the course".

I'm noticing more cars on the road this week and parents and kids enjoying the sunshine, people are moving on with their lives and won't put up with being told to lock themselves away anymore.

The government is fixated on stage 1 while the public appetite is already stage 3 or higher. The official plan is too dragged out and needs to be shortened - once restrictions lift on Monday the genie is out of the bottle and people won’t be so patient to get back to normality.

Yes but without the briefing as a reference or any reference to the age, most people are reading that headline as 400+ today. Historic figures are not needed, we need real time to 1/2 day delay figures only.

Blame the papers. We do need to know the total figures

Blame the papers. We do need to know the total figures

I understand that but what value does adding 200+ historical cases do for anyone? I don’t care about those 200, unless there were deaths involved then telling me 200 people had it at one stage but are grand now means absolutely **** all

road_high wrote: »
    Karl Dieter, I heard on it too. Everything he said was a rock of sense. Pat is usefully very balanced and factual in fairness to him.

Didn't Pat Kenny allude to cyclists emitting plumes of Covid germs as they trundled along?
    And the guy has a radio show.

The government is fixated on stage 1 while the public appetite is already stage 3 or higher. The official plan is too dragged out and needs to be shortened - once restrictions lift on Monday the genie is out of the bottle and people won’t be so patient to get back to normality.

I think your right they are fixated with stage 1 but I have a feeling that there will be a change to the stages from stage 2 and we will have only the main social distancing rules and crowds left by July

• Advertisement

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I thought they were going to provide a list of what can reopen in advance of 18th May? How can a business prepare in advance if they don't know whether they can reopen. I guess queues will be mad everywhere for some time anyway.

Leo will be on the LLS on Friday night reading the reopening plan off the back of a box of cigarettes, so the businesses will be loud and clear what happening the next working day

They need to change the 5kms to 20kms very soon its really bugging people

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Arghus wrote: »
    It's boards buddy. It's not the same as reality lived by most people. This thread is crazy town.

Whether people are saying it outwardly or not is one thing — but their behaviour is what’s most telling. More cars on the roads, more people out for walks, shops opening up, people out (distantly) exercising together and some people pushing the 5k ridiculous boundary. Some people won’t say it outward but most are fed up and can see this for what it is and their behaviour is what is telling. I was chatting to one of my friends earlier and said how i feel on the whole thing and she said “thank god you said that. We thought we were going mad here”

I think your right they are fixated with stage 1 but I have a feeling that there will be a change to the stages from stage 2 and we will have only the main social distancing rules and crowds left by July

I mentioned it already but I think they are missing the big picture of what needs to be in each stage - I couldn’t give less of a **** about exercising distances being extended or certain shops being opened. I want to visit my parents freely (I had the misfortune of announcing their first grandchild to them over video call because of this bull****), and I want some return to normality work wise. I am not willing any longer to wait until August or further to be able to do those, especially visiting.

I understand that but what value does adding 200+ historical cases do for anyone? I don’t care about those 200, unless there were deaths involved then telling me 200 people had it at one stage but are grand now means absolutely **** all

For the general public nothing probably but for the stats and transparency everything. Imagine in a few months when there will be a committee on this and the papers release a story of x amount of cases not revealed there be a thread on here blasting the government and Houlihan (quiet right 2) and I bet some would be people who are lambasting the release of these number on all threads today in relation to Covid 19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

I mentioned it already but I think they are missing the big picture of what needs to be in each stage - I couldn’t give less of a **** about exercising distances being extended or certain shops being opened. I want to visit my parents freely (I had the misfortune of announcing their first grandchild to them over video call because of this bull****), and I want some return to normality work wise. I am not willing any longer to wait until August or further to be able to do those, especially visiting.

October it is now. Although in a positive they have moved the discussion on Christmas until next week.

Exactly . I know two people who haven’t seen a new grandchild yet and ache to see them

Congratulations !!!

They need to change the 5kms to 20kms very soon its really bugging people

Given they are allowing some exercise and sports to reopen I am surprised they had not. It would be possible they might change it

Exactly . I know two people who haven’t seen a new grandchild yet and ache to see them

Congratulations !!!

Thank you :) Its a horrible time for us - robbed of telling my parents face to face, I can’t be with her for scans or anything involving maternity and going by the restrictions I may not even be allowed in for the birth. After 7 years of trying it’s just a punch in the ****ing face.

• Advertisement

Leo will be on the LLS on Friday night reading the reopening plan off the back of a box of cigarettes, so the businesses will be loud and clear what happening the next working day

Also how to use a mask properly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement