Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Thank you :) Its a horrible time for us - robbed of telling my parents face to face, I can’t be with her for scans or anything involving maternity and going by the restrictions I may not even be allowed in for the birth. After 7 years of trying it’s just a punch in the ****ing face.

Keep hoping and who knows by then maybe you can . Things change daily

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Are death certs showing up as Covid-19 even if the person doesn't die *from* coronavirus but has it at time of death or is this a Facebook theory?

I asked a few pages back but I can't see responses

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I mentioned it already but I think they are missing the big picture of what needs to be in each stage - I couldn’t give less of a **** about exercising distances being extended or certain shops being opened. I want to visit my parents freely (I had the misfortune of announcing their first grandchild to them over video call because of this bull****), and I want some return to normality work wise. I am not willing any longer to wait until August or further to be able to do those, especially visiting.

I am going to miss my brother and his wife first child been born but mine is a bit different as I would need a plane or boat as he is in Scotland. The restrictions of meeting people need to be looked at again I agree with you there. I can work from home but (I do not believe I am saying this) would love to go into our broken down crappy building again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Colibri wrote: »
    Are death certs showing up as Covid-19 even if the person doesn't die *from* coronavirus but has it at time of death or is this a Facebook theory?

If they had the virus then it would be put on it I am not sure if they would put other causes as well such as heart failure with Covid 19 likely have been a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

It is a fair point about the numbers though.

I genuinely was out with the kids for a walk, scrolled down through twitter and was hit with a barrage of tweets from official media sources etc which were on the minute reporting the fact of the 400+ new cases and I put my phone in my pocket and just said “ah jaysus, here we go now”

I wasn’t even going to bother but curiosity got the better of me so I said hold on there’s must be some mistake or issue here that I found out about the situation where there’s actually only 140 new cases, that should be the headline, 140 new cases.

But it is turning into a bit of a fiasco now at this stage.

I mean the issues we have are care home settings where we intentionally moved people from hospitals into!

Testing and tracing still not up to speed how many weeks later?

Minutes of meetings and information to the public held back until it was raised as an issue and they were forced to release.

It turns out anyway the NPHET was basically writing cheques that the HSE couldn’t cash in regards to testing etc and when this was raised by the HSE to the minister by email it remained unanswered for weeks!

And on the day before cabinet decides on definitely easing some restrictions it’s like, opps, sorry here’s another 300 or so people with the disease we didn’t even know we had, my bad!

And the craziest thing of all is if you dare to question any of this there’s a huge section of the population ready to in a social media sense tear you limb from limb for daring to question shouting at you to stfah!.. I mean honestly Simon Harris was interviewed the other morning on today fm and the first comment was how great it was that he could be interviewed without being questioned!!

Jaysus I don’t know, as a nation we are so easily led it’s unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Whether people are saying it outwardly or not is one thing — but their behaviour is what’s most telling. More cars on the roads, more people out for walks, shops opening up, people out (distantly) exercising together and some people pushing the 5k ridiculous boundary. Some people won’t say it outward but most are fed up and can see this for what it is and their behaviour is what is telling. I was chatting to one of my friends earlier and said how i feel on the whole thing and she said “thank god you said that. We thought we were going mad here”

An increase in people outside is to be expected. A combination of a relaxation of the 2km to 5km, better weather, over 70's allowed outside and a better understanding of the virus (i.e. if you maintain social distancing when out and about, you'll more than likely be fine).

Also, that is anecdotal evidence regarding your friend. For every one person that is saying they think it's ridiculous, how many more are tolerating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yes, if they're confirmed covid they are registered as a coronavirus death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes, it was confirmed in one of the briefings last week that if a person dies who has tested postive for covid 19 it's listed as a death from Covid 19.

It's a hard to judge the actual cause of death in these cases. If someone dies of blunt force trauma it's pretty clear cut, but as far as I am aware you can't just die from Covid 19 alone, but it can be the primary cause of death - if you know what I mean.

For instance,a person can die of a heart attack or organ failure, but it's the strain of Covid attacking their respiratory system that was the primary cause of that organ failure. In the same way people don't die from flu alone, they die because of the strain it puts on the body and organs, which then fail.

Covid causes the respiratory failure, which causes the organ failure, which kills the patient. So technically they die of that - but covid was the reason it happened in the first place.

Yes but without the briefing as a reference or any reference to the age, most people are reading that headline as 400+ today. Historic figures are not needed, we need real time to 1/2 day delay figures only.

We don’t need any figures. Majority of the population are numerically illiterate as demonstrated here daily. Without looking at numbers in context people always read the wrong thing in to then. In both directions

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

RTE seems to have turned into an offical Government news outlet not daring to question anything about the restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Whether people are saying it outwardly or not is one thing — but their behaviour is what’s most telling. More cars on the roads, more people out for walks, shops opening up, people out (distantly) exercising together and some people pushing the 5k ridiculous boundary. Some people won’t say it outward but most are fed up and can see this for what it is and their behaviour is what is telling. I was chatting to one of my friends earlier and said how i feel on the whole thing and she said “thank god you said that. We thought we were going mad here”

See it for what it is? What is that?

People are out and about a lot more, I wouldn't dispute that. But that's not against the restrictions as they currently stand. It's understandable.

But some of the rhetoric here along the lines of Tony Holohan being out to destroy the country, the lockdown being total nonsense and the coronavirus being grand really? No, that's in plentiful supply in this thread, but not much elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EXgt8CtX0AE2SiZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

As far as I know they are recording all those who die with Covid as Covid deaths, even if they didn’t die as a result of the illness. Open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes in some countries

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/08/dr_birx_unlike_some_countries_if_someone_dies_with_covid-19_we_are_counting_that_as_a_covid-19_death.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/have-many-coronavirus-patients-died-italy/amp/

Ireland too apparently but I've no link.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭skelly22

mr zulu wrote: »
    Absolutely, I have being staying inside since last March, but I think enough is enough with this long drawn out affair.

Get on yer bike!

As far as I know they are recording all those who die with Covid as Covid deaths, even if they didn’t die as a result of the illness. Open to correction on this.

You are correct.

It minimises the death toll even further.

Less than 100 perhaps could be still alive today if Covid did not exist if you closely interpret ICU stats, ie those strong enough to recive ICU treatment who subsequently died

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Oh boy. Tony H would be fuming, countries opening borders? what the hell is this. THIS SATURDAY. We arent even in phase 1 yet until Monday...

Why would he be fuming? We were more relaxed. Didn't even close our borders.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭prunudo

RTE seems to have turned into an offical Government news outlet not daring to question anything about the restrictions.

I noticed that the other night that they reported Irish water telling us to conserve water as domestic useage was up 25%, no **** sherlock, everyone is locked up in their homes the last 7 weeks. And not a mention of the lack of usage from all the offices and business that are closed.

Kids out playing on the green here where I am. About 10 of them in total. It’s a sight that would have pissed me off no end in March but I’m so happy to see it this evening. And before anyone asks, we have a green here and each family has ribbons down where the other kids can’t pass but they can race each other and chat and laugh. I’ve missed hearing the laugher and screams. Poor things have been one of the most to suffer out of this and looked on as “vectors” and dirty virus carriers when there’s nothing to suggest they’re anything of the sort. Long may their playing and laughter continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

However I don't want to be told in 4 moths time sorry martingriff back in to your house as that would kill me. Things are started to open up, thing will be moved and we will move forward

You best prepare to be killed so. This thing is here to stay, until next year at the very least.

What most of us seemingly in here want is some sign of our "government" working towards life including the virus, instead of the current shutdown of life until the virus magically goes away.

If we're in full on lockdown for no apparent reason, numbers down to a handful, all the curves flattened into oblivion, R number somewhere up Tony's hole, then prepare yourself for similar crazyness in August, September, October, when our hopeless leaders sh!t themselves when a few hundred new cases crop up. They're instilling little if no hope right now. Stay in the bunkers lads, can't be making the HSE do what they're paid to now can we.

• Advertisement

Kids out playing on the green here where I am. About 10 of them in total. It’s a sight that would have pissed me off no end in March but I’m so happy to see it this evening. And before anyone asks, we have a green here and each family has ribbons down where the other kids can’t pass but they can race each other and chat and laugh. I’ve missed hearing the laugher and screams. Poor things have been one of the most to suffer out of this and looked on as “vectors” and dirty virus carriers when there’s nothing to suggest they’re anything of the sort. Long may their playing and laughter continue.

Absolutely . The kids are struggling with this and need to play out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

VonLuck wrote: »
    Everyone that's saying that "the people have had enough" or something similar, where exactly are these people? I know that my circle of friends, work colleagues and family are generally accepting of the current measures. They may not be happy with them, but are putting up with it. I also don't see much dissent on other social media platforms or from journalists, for the most part.

Is the general public actually that annoyed with the restrictions or is this just some sort of bubble within boards?

How many of them are out of work?

Most of my friends are pretty sanguine about the restrictions at this point, breaking some of them as needs be, both friends and work colleagues visiting parents where they feel it necessary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

St Annes Park this evening was more packed that I have seen it at any time in last 3 months. Plenty groups of kids and teenagers, older people keeping their distance etc.
    I haven't seen a Garda car in it in a week.
    Good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You best prepare to be killed so. This thing is here to stay, until next year at the very least.

What most of us seemingly in here want is some sign of our "government" working towards life including the virus, instead of the current shutdown of life until the virus magically goes away.

If we're in full on lockdown for no apparent reason, numbers down to a handful, all the curves flattened into oblivion, R number somewhere up Tony's hole, then prepare yourself for similar crazyness in August, September, October, when our hopeless leaders sh!t themselves when a few hundred new cases crop up. They're instilling little if no hope right now. Stay in the bunkers lads, can't be making the HSE do what they're paid to now can we.

Yep and not a mention of the fact that many of the places forced to shut will probably never open again the longer this madness goes on.

robbiezero wrote: »
    St Annes Park this evening was more packed that I have seen it at any time in last 3 months. Plenty groups of kids and teenagers, older people keeping their distance etc.
    I haven't seen a Garda car in it in a week.
    Good to see.

Yet some people on this thread still baffled at the thoughts that people are fed up and moving on :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Newspapers leading with deaths above 1500 and 450 new infections. Project fear.

The death stat is fascinating.
    1500 died from Covid, god bless, RIP etc.

But the 7000 that normally die during this period get no remememberance from the media.

How on earth did some large hospital not report 300 cases since March in a pandemic emergency situation . Seriously ??

I notice this every evening when I turn on Virgin Media for the press briefings. Sometimes I’ll be a bit late and tune in in the middle of the briefing but the banner on screen will always read the total dead and total cases instead of those released for that day. I usually have to come on here and read the threads to see how many new cases and how many deaths. I guess it’s just more dramatic and adds to the general feeling of fear they want the public to feel.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    How on earth did some large hospital not report 300 deaths since March in a pandemic emergency situation . Seriously ??

Cases not deaths. Still some manager losing their job if it was the private sector

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement