Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

Wear the mask, sanitise the hands, and a no chat rule because there’ll be nothing to chat about with the hairdressers anymore because nobody has any holidays to go on lol

I think my barber is now doing cuts from home - but i highly doubt has masks - probably sanitiser and hopefully cleaning razor each time. so i'm in two minds whether to go for it - finding the head of hair on me depressing at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yep.
    We are all in this together.

Nah. The IT lad from Dublin working from home, with most of his family members living within 5KM is not really in the same boat as the now unemployed construction worker from Mayo living in Dublin with most of his family still in Mayo.

Of all the suffering in the world right now, I think being from Mayo is possibly worst of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

So I need to ask, not that Im going to... but seeing as Ikea opens again Monday and their delivery is at least a month, will a trip from Waterford up to Dublin to get a double bed and mattress be allowed? Seeing as they are allowed open as an essential retailer now on Monday I'd assume so.

Before anyone slates me, I cannot get a double bed and mattress like the Ikea ones locally for that price, hence why I need to go up, am currently sleeping on the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Doesn't look like it I'm afraid.

So I need to ask, not that Im going to... but seeing as Ikea opens again Monday and their delivery is at least a month, will a trip from Waterford up to Dublin to get a double bed and mattress be allowed? Seeing as they are allowed open as an essential retailer now on Monday I'd assume so.

Before anyone slates me, I cannot get a double bed and mattress like the Ikea ones locally for that price, hence why I need to go up, am currently sleeping on the floor...

Its in direct opposition to the government directive.
    You will not be arrested, however, just instructed to turn around if you do happen upon a checkpoint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Its in direct opposition to the government directive.
    You will not be arrested, however, just instructed to turn around if you do happen upon a checkpoint

Fair enough, guess I'll have to wait another while so!

If I was sleeping on the ground and ikea was open . . . . .

In all seriousness, my hairdresser who is one of my dearest friends has been ready to open for weeks now. She has spent the last few weeks locating PPE for her workers and her clients. She’s fully stocked on hand sanitiser and has taken an online course on sanitation and disinfection practices in order to up skill and instill confidence in her clientele. She started this business from nothing and has built it up and is now one of the most popular and well established salons in our area. She’s absolutely devastated that she can’t open until July, and has stated that opening in July could mean she won’t be opening at all. Her line of thinking is she mostly sees the backs of people’s heads, and if people wear masks and gloves she isn’t putting them at risk nor them her. She is genuinely upset because she fits wigs and hair pieces to people who suffer from alopecia and those undergoing chemo.

These pieces cannot be removed by the client and can only be removed by a professional so these people risk even further hair loss or severe damage to any regrowth because they have to remove them themselves as they grow out. It’s all good and well thinking Mary down the road needs her blue rinse and yes it would be lovely to get my colour done; but realistically hairdressers provide a service far beyond what most of us will ever access. It’s a form of therapy for some people and it shouldn’t be scoffed at or seen as non essential. I don’t care what people think of that. People should be let take the risk for themselves. Wear the mask, sanitise the hands, and a no chat rule because there’ll be nothing to chat about with the hairdressers anymore because nobody has any holidays to go on lol

I really appreciate your hair dresser been able to get a facemask when I have to re-use my one from yesterday while reviewing a patient on COVID-19 ward because of the shortage of facemasks available in hospitals.

But somebody getting a hair cut is more important than me having increased risk of getting covid-19 treating patients.

Thanks pro economic brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

I really appreciate your hair dresser been able to get a facemask when I have to re-use my one from yesterday while reviewing a patient on COVID-19 ward because of the shortage of facemasks available in hospitals.

But somebody getting a hair cut is more important than me having increased risk of getting covid-19.

maybe you could go for the hair-cut then use the mask for work after?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

But somebody getting a hair cut is more important than me having increased risk of getting covid-19 treating patients.

Oh ffs get over yourself. She located them over six weeks ago. It’s not her fault you’re low on stock. Take it up with your supplier, not someone trying to make ends meet and spending money to ensure her business stays afloat through all of this. How bitter are you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

robbiezero wrote: »
    Yep.
    We are all in this together.

Nah. The IT lad from Dublin working from home, with most of his family members living within 5KM is not really in the same boat as the now unemployed construction worker from Mayo living in Dublin with most of his family still in Mayo.

We're all in the same storm, but not all in the same boat.

showpony1 wrote: »
    maybe you could go for the hair-cut then use the mask for work after?

Masks are single use when dealing with covid patients. I presume you know this but yeah, make little of it if you like. It's easy for people sitting at home doing nothing to snipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

The 5km rule needs lifting now. In fact, I plan to lift it myself this weekend.

If I go 5km in any direction I’m still in a densely populated area of Dublin. For the sake of my own sanity I’m getting very far from here on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Your problem is with the HSE, the retail market is flooded with masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

She is genuinely upset because she fits wigs and hair pieces to people who suffer from alopecia and those undergoing chemo.

You must be taking the piss. I realise you think this is all about you and your civil liberties etc, but do you honestly believe it's grand for someone having chemotherapy to spend an hour in a small space with potentially asymptomatic cases?

Oh ffs get over yourself. She located them over six weeks ago. It’s not her fault you’re low on stock. Take it up with your supplier, not someone trying to make ends meet and spending money to ensure her business stays afloat through all of this. How bitter are you.

So wait.....

I'm bitter because there is a shortage of PPE and somebody needing a haircut is more worthy of a mask than healthcare professionals caring for covid patients.

Just so I can clarify that this is the rational. Apologies that I worry about my own safety and the safety of the other patients who don't have COVID-19. But hey you, you have your haircut.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd say Ikea will be packed to the tits on Monday with people trying to get in and get desks and chairs.

Maybe you should direct that at your colleagues. They’re the ones stealing them out of the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Masks are single use when dealing with covid patients. I presume you know this but yeah, make little of it if you like. It's easy for people sitting at home doing nothing to snipe.

Lol

So wait.....

I'm bitter because there is a shortage of PPE and somebody needing a haircut is more worthy of a mask than healthcare professionals caring for covid patients.

Just so I can clarify that this is the rational. Apologies that I worry about my own safety and the safety of the other patients who don't have COVID-19. But hey you, you have your haircut.

If a hairdresser can source PPE but the HSE can’t it’s the HSEs fault. It’s extremely doubtful that the hairdresser is getting it from the same kind of supplier as the HSE, but that won’t stop you lashing out from your high horse. Clap clap.

• Advertisement

So wait.....

You do realise that is going to be made a prerequisite for hair salons to have PPE in order to reopen yeah? Don’t be bitter just because they have managed to locate some in light of you not regarding their business as essential. If you have gripes about your lack of equipment then take it up with whoever supplies it. Not those who have to acquire their own in order to stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

This is a rotten, disgusting pig of a post. Stamping your feet all through this thread and you come out with that foul muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

There's a lot of anger on this thread with how things r bring managed in this country. In my personal life people are stressed, anxious but generally approve with the way things are being done. Herd immunity (which is what some here seem to want) is surely leaving the 20% vulnerable of our population behind.The numbers are coming down daily hopefully that means in the coming weeks we ll have such a handle on it that we ll soon be able to live relatively normal lives. The big loss will be casual travel in and out of country but that should resume over coming months as treatments, technology and testing(perhaps instant testing before travelling) improve.
    The coming recession is terrifying but I can't see any alternative. How can we loose control of a deadly disease that poses s very real threat to 20% of our population.
    I know this is obvious but just want to add to the balance of opinions here.

You must be taking the piss. I realise you think this is all about you and your civil liberties etc, but do you honestly believe it's grand for someone having chemotherapy to spend an hour in a small space with potentially asymptomatic cases?

Yes this is all about me blah blah blah..... :rolleyes:

Hairdressers will be operating on limited clientele, possibly on a one in one out basis. It should be up to the customer to weigh up their own individual risk. It’s not up to me to decide what is “grand” and what is not. Most people can decide for themselves and if they feel it’s a service they need then so be it.

This is a rotten, disgusting pig of a post. Stamping your feet all through this thread and you come out with that foul muck.

I don’t really give a **** about what you think of my posts. You won’t get a rise out of me. If you find them so offensive you can always report them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

‘We’re all in this together’ ... Until we’re not.
    Any business worth their salt will have made provisions to access those sorts of supplies at some point over the last 2 months, in order to prepare for reopening their business.

Otherwise we’d have another rush of panic ordering & buying when restrictions are lifted, and there’d be a month long shortage of hand sanitiser like there was when all this kicked off.
    You’d think it’s the logical, sensible thing for someone who is trying to save their livelihood to do but others still try to twist it into something nasty.
    Unbelievable, yet so believable.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    ‘We’re all in this together’ ... Until we’re not.
    Any business worth their salt will have made provisions to access those sort of supplies at some point over the last 2 months, in order to prepare for reopening their business.

Otherwise we’d have another rush of panic ordering & buying when restrictions are lifted, and there’d be a month long shortage of hand sanitiser like there was when all this kicked off.
    You’d think it’s the logical, sensible thing for someone who is trying to save their livelihood to do but others still try to twist it into something nasty.
    Unbelievable, yet so believable.

Like the fact that that post is coming from someone who works in a hospital, giving out about other sectors taking safety provisions and locating masks. You’d swear I said she was going to spit on everyone who sat in front of her.

The mind boggles :pac:

You do realise that is going to be made a prerequisite for hair salons to have PPE in order to reopen yeah? Don’t be bitter just because they have managed to locate some in light of you not regarding their business as essential. If you have gripes about your lack of equipment then take it up with whoever supplies it. Not those who have to acquire their own in order to stay afloat.

Where is this government prerequisite that all hairdressers must hog PPE??? When did I say their business was not essential/ not essential?

Where is this government prerequisite that all hairdressers must hog PPE??? When did I say their business was not essential/ not essential?

Oh go away will ya. Sick of your whinging.

And sorry where did I say the word “hog”. You can get masks literally anywhere now. The retail market is flooded with them. Sorry but you’re just making a fool of yourself whinging about people wanting to be safe at work and prioritising customer safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Come off it, it’s not just hairdressers.
    ALL industries and sectors have been gathering these supplies the last 8 weeks because the government have made in clear that extra safety measures will be needed to protect the public when restrictions are lifted.
    At a very minimum, this would involve gloves, masks and hand sanitiser.

If you have issues with the HSE not providing adequate protective equipment for healthcare staff like yourself, take that up with the HSE.
    It isn’t the fault of a small business who are doing all they can to save their livelihoods during these difficult times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement