Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

Like the fact that that post is coming from someone who works in a hospital, giving out about other sectors taking safety provisions and locating masks. You’d swear I said she was going to spit on everyone who sat in front of her.

The mind boggles :pac:

I'm going to make this really simple so you can understand my issues. Barbers and hairdressers aren't open at the moment. There is a supply issue with PPE for hospitals due to demand. Barbers and hairdressers aren't opening anytime soon. It is inherently self centred to be buying them at the moment when hospitals are struggling to obtain.

But the selfishness of people is shining through on this thread. They had to pretend for a while to be altruistic but now that the tide is changing, people are back harping on about civil right to be selfish so and sos.

I don't particularly care if I get COVID but I damn sure would feel guilty if I passed it onto a patient.

I have to be in direct contacts with patients as part of working in a hospital. At the moment, hairdressers can't even cut people's hair. But yet, it's fine for people to hoard PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I'm going to make this really simple so you can understand my issues. Barbers and hairdressers aren't open at the moment. There is a supply issue with PPE for hospitals due to demand. Barbers and hairdressers aren't opening anytime soon. It is inherently self centred to be buying them at the moment when hospitals are struggling to obtain.

But the selfishness of people is shining through on this thread. They had to pretend for a while to be altruistic but now that the tide is changing, people are back harping on about civil right to be selfish so and sos.

I don't particularly care if I get COVID but I damn sure would feel guilty if I passed it onto a patient.

I have to be in direct contacts with patients as part of working in a hospital. At the moment, hairdressers can't even cut people's hair. But yet, it's fine for people to hoard PPE.

As simple as I can make this, your issue is with the HSE not Peter Marks.
    The HSE are responsible and in this case irresponsible for providing masks.

There's a lot of anger on this thread with how things r bring managed in this country. In my personal life people are stressed, anxious but generally approve with the way things are being done. Herd immunity (which is what some here seem to want) is surely leaving the 20% vulnerable of our population behind.The numbers are coming down daily hopefully that means in the coming weeks we ll have such a handle on it that we ll soon be able to live relatively normal lives. The big loss will be casual travel in and out of country but that should resume over coming months as treatments, technology and testing(perhaps instant testing before travelling) improve.
    The coming recession is terrifying but I can't see any alternative. How can we loose control of a deadly disease that poses s very real threat to 20% of our population.
    I know this is obvious but just want to add to the balance of opinions here.

It’s a mild disease and extremely low risk for anyone under 65. The risk is not even that high for 65 - 80 year olds.

Over 1000 of the deaths are over 80. Most of them were already dying of cancer, COPD, diabetes etc. Most were already so sick that they didn’t even bother with ICU.

Average life expectancy in Ireland is 81.

It’s a mild illness that can be dangerous for those over 80.

The media is what is making people so afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can understand clearly, thanks. You don’t exactly make it hard.

You can literally buy face masks in Lidl. So you work in a Covid ward yet are giving out about people taking provisions to ensure their safety and minimise their risk of contracting the disease, which in turn has an effect on your job as you will be seeing less patients presenting with the illness because of the measures these industries put in place. And you’re pissed at that? Pathetic.

Masks are single use when dealing with covid patients. I presume you know this but yeah, make little of it if you like. It's easy for people sitting at home doing nothing to snipe.

I find it baffling that the HSE have failed so badly at protecting their employees and are laying the blame on a single hairdresser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Did you miss the part where she said it was sourced over 6 weeks ago? We only found out they weren’t allowed open till July last week.

Hairdressers absolutely thought they’d be allowed reopen after the 5th of May, I had an appointment and a deposit booked for May 8th that obviously had to be cancelled.
    Same for the nail salon, I had an appointment booked there too that also had to be cancelled until July.

Businesses were obviously under the impression they’d be allowed reopen and prepared accordingly.

It seems like your anger and frustration at your employers failings is being completely misdirected. Safety should be a top priority of any business trying to reopen and yet they still get unfairly criticised for that too.

Your issue is with the HSE and not a hairdresser trying to save her business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I find it baffling that the HSE have failed so badly at protecting their employees and are laying the blame on a single hairdresser.

I think the isolation has gone to poor dazzlers head. The hairdressers are all plotting against him.

There's a lot of anger on this thread with how things r bring managed in this country. In my personal life people are stressed, anxious but generally approve with the way things are being done. Herd immunity (which is what some here seem to want) is surely leaving the 20% vulnerable of our population behind.The numbers are coming down daily hopefully that means in the coming weeks we ll have such a handle on it that we ll soon be able to live relatively normal lives. The big loss will be casual travel in and out of country but that should resume over coming months as treatments, technology and testing(perhaps instant testing before travelling) improve.
    The coming recession is terrifying but I can't see any alternative. How can we loose control of a deadly disease that poses s very real threat to 20% of our population.
    I know this is obvious but just want to add to the balance of opinions here.

Read up on Sweden.

It does help with anxiety

It's not one single hairdresser that it's the issue. It's every other Tom, Dick and Harry trying to obtain PPE at the same time.

It's not one single hairdresser that it's the issue. It's every other Tom, Dick and Harry trying to obtain PPE at the same time.

I hear that if you leave your window open , a hairdresser will fly into your house and steal all the PPE gear. This seriously has to be up there with nonsense posts in the thread with the likes of bottle banks becoming hot spots and joggers and cyclists spreading it across the country. Pure madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭showpony1

It’s a mild disease and extremely low risk for anyone under 65. The risk is not even that high for 65 - 80 year olds.

Over 1000 of the deaths are over 80. Most of them were already dying of cancer, COPD, diabetes etc. Most were already so sick that they didn’t even bother with ICU.

this seems to be too good to be true, people in 20s/30s/40s have an almost zero chance of anything happening to them in other words. I am sure someone else will post saying something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Not every Tom Dick and Harry is locating PPE. Most people are looking into getting face coverings, as is advised by the government. They don’t have to be medical grade.
    Hair salons by the very nature of their work cannot operate with social distancing in place so they actually need the gear in order to protect themselves and their clients. Are you — as someone who has stated they work in a hospital and has worked on a Covid ward — honestly saying that is a bad thing? I’m genuinely shocked. You do realise it’ll actually make your job a whole lot easier if they do this right? Or are you on a wind up?

Ok. So the HSE have had 2 months of relatively empty hospital's to plan for what is ahead.

And now that private companies are taking initiative to plan ahead the HSE has been blindsided.

showpony1 wrote: »
    this seems to be too good to be true, people in 20s/30s/40s have an almost zero chance of anything happening to them in other words. I am sure someone else will post saying something different.

It’s strange the media are not pointing it out more clearly but that’s what the stats show. A tiny number under 45 have actually died.

Ok. So the HSE have had 2 months of relatively empty hospital's to plan for what is ahead.

And now that private companies are taking initiative to plan ahead the HSE has been blindsided.

You still never explained to me how the coronavirus and the seasonal flu have the mortality rate? Your links didn't suggest that at all. Will you actually back up your statements for once? Actually engage in a bit of discussion. I'm happy to be corrected if there actually is evidence that the seasonal flu is as deadly as covid-19. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You best prepare to be killed so. This thing is here to stay, until next year at the very least.

What most of us seemingly in here want is some sign of our "government" working towards life including the virus, instead of the current shutdown of life until the virus magically goes away.

If we're in full on lockdown for no apparent reason, numbers down to a handful, all the curves flattened into oblivion, R number somewhere up Tony's hole, then prepare yourself for similar crazyness in August, September, October, when our hopeless leaders sh!t themselves when a few hundred new cases crop up. They're instilling little if no hope right now. Stay in the bunkers lads, can't be making the HSE do what they're paid to now can we.

I meant 8 weeks of lockdown I thought that be obvious. Yes I know its here for a long time but if we do our bit then we can hopefully not experience the lockdown again

It’s strange the media are not pointing it out more clearly but that’s what the stats show. A tiny number under 45 have actually died.

i suppose "death" is a strong metric, i wouldn't really want to be really ill or close to death either in 30s.

i definitely know of one person i was in school with who died of it in early 30s - so when read that its only over 80s have that in back of my mind.

Having said that i'm only trying to convince my self ill be "grand" to go for a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I bought some surgical masks that were on sale in the supermarket in anticipation of an announcement on face coverings next week. Was I supposed to leave them for the HSE?

Can you explain what you mean?

That Covid 19 does not kill all old people who contract the virus so using 1 example to try and get a sly dig on Tony is immature

Stark wrote: »
    I bought some surgical masks that were on sale in the supermarket in anticipation of an announcement on face coverings next week? Was I supposed to leave them for the HSE?

no for the hairdressers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

A genuine question here:
    What exactly is the Irish public health policy wrt Covid 19?

I mean, I know they started off wanting to 'flatten the curve' to prevent our ICUs getting overwhelmed, but now that we have achieved that crisis objective, what exactly are the strategy objectives now??

E.g. 1. is it gradual herd immunity while protecting those most at risk?

Or 2. trying to suppress the disease?

Or 3. is it to limit deaths until either treatments &/or vaccines are realised that will save us!?!

Genuinely curious.... and confused tbh...

If a hairdresser can source PPE but the HSE can’t it’s the HSEs fault. It’s extremely doubtful that the hairdresser is getting it from the same kind of supplier as the HSE, but that won’t stop you lashing out from your high horse. Clap clap.

If it is the same kinds of masks while they may not be getting them from the same supplier they are more then likely getting them from the same manufacturer

Edit Not in relation to a hairdresser but do they need the same stuff as the hospitals as I agree they should have something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

I really appreciate your hair dresser been able to get a facemask when I have to re-use my one from yesterday while reviewing a patient on COVID-19 ward because of the shortage of facemasks available in hospitals.

But somebody getting a hair cut is more important than me having increased risk of getting covid-19 treating patients.

Thanks pro economic brigade.

Yesterday you were boasting about how great Covid has been economically for you getting paid 70 euro an hour with unlimited overtime.

Today, it's concern re limited facemasks.

Priorities etc.

Well the HSE need a constant supply you do realise that they wear the mask and all that go with it once and then have to discard it every time they see a patient all patients regardless of what they have just incase. So they need thousands and thousands it is just not that easy to get in that great of a quantity all the time

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Yesterday you were boasting about how great Covid has been economically for you getting paid 70 euro an hour with unlimited overtime.

Today, it's concern re limited facemasks.

Priorities etc.

No dazzlers doing it all for us. Only for us.

Stark wrote: »
    I bought some surgical masks that were on sale in the supermarket in anticipation of an announcement on face coverings next week. Was I supposed to leave them for the HSE?

They are more then likely not the same type and I would doubt a hairdresser would need the same type the HSE use

daithi7 wrote: »
    A genuine question here:
    What exactly is the Irish public health policy wrt Covid 19?

I mean, I know they started off wanting to 'flatten the curve' to prevent our ICUs getting overwhelmed, but now that we have achieved that crisis objective, what exactly are the strategy objectives now??

E.g. 1. is it gradual herd immunity while protecting those most at risk?

Or 2. trying to suppress the disease?

Or 3. is it to limit deaths until either treatments &/or vaccines are realised that will save us!?!

Genuinely curious.... and confused tbh...

Limit death and ICU admissions still and do this by being as safe as possible by possibly using masks and distancing rules. Also getting the time for tests and contact tracing is important

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Here’s the problem though, different ways of looking at it. My parents are in 70’s. Both have heart conditions but extremely fit and healthy otherwise. They still could have a chance of another good 10 years. Example both my uncles had heart attacks in their 60’s and now they are nudging 90.

If they got covid it could wipe them out in a week and rob them of another potential 10 years so not all covid deaths could be terminal. But i do agree a lot of deaths may have been terminal but some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

showpony1 wrote: »

Going by last Friday's statistical breakdown.

By last Friday 956 of the 1,429 deaths were of people 80 or over.
    1,264 of the 1,429 were of people 70 or over.
    Nobody 34 or under has died.
    15 people 49 or under have died.

Obviously pre existing conditions play a big part as well.

• Advertisement

Of all the suffering in the world right now, I think being from Mayo is possibly worst of all.

Terrible here in Westport at the moment. Locked down in this weather. Walking empty beaches. Blue skies free of contrails. Strolling with the locals out the Quay. Fishing off the pier. I yearn for the day all the tourists return.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement