Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Going by last Friday's statistical breakdown.

By last Friday 956 of the 1,429 deaths were of people 80 or over.
    1,264 of the 1,429 were of people 70 or over.
    Nobody 34 or under has died.
    15 people 49 or under have died.

I know a 32 year old over 6ft fit no illness and it killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭vid36

People under 30 have died in Ireland. I think it is only two. One of them was the teenage girl in Mayo that the controversy was about at last week's press conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

daithi7 wrote: »
    A genuine question here:
    What exactly is the Irish public health policy wrt Covid 19?

I mean, I know they started off wanting to 'flatten the curve' to prevent our ICUs getting overwhelmed, but now that we have achieved that crisis objective, what exactly are the strategy objectives now??

E.g. 1. is it gradual herd immunity while protecting those most at risk?

Or 2. trying to suppress the disease?

Or 3. is it to limit deaths until either treatments &/or vaccines are realised that will save us!?!

Genuinely curious.... and confused tbh...

I think they are confused too by looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Terrible here in Westport at the moment. Locked down in this weather. Walking empty beaches. Blue skies free of contrails. Strolling with the locals out the Quay. Fishing off the pier. I yearn for the day all the tourists return.

For most part the travel restrictions don’t apply to me. I drove 50km from home and it was legal, great having the road to myself lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

SusieBlue wrote: »
    ‘We’re all in this together’ ... Until we’re not.
    Any business worth their salt will have made provisions to access those sorts of supplies at some point over the last 2 months, in order to prepare for reopening their business.

Otherwise we’d have another rush of panic ordering & buying when restrictions are lifted, and there’d be a month long shortage of hand sanitiser like there was when all this kicked off.
    You’d think it’s the logical, sensible thing for someone who is trying to save their livelihood to do but others still try to twist it into something nasty.
    Unbelievable, yet so believable.

Pay no attention to that poster, I don't believe any claims he makes. My wife has been working with Covid-19 patients for weeks and has never had to reuse a face mask. The quality of the new PPE isn't great and it chaffs, but there's no shortage.

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know a 32 year old over 6ft fit no illness and it killed him.

Condolences and RIP.
    Don't think his height has any relevance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

If a hairdresser can source PPE but the HSE can’t it’s the HSEs fault. It’s extremely doubtful that the hairdresser is getting it from the same kind of supplier as the HSE, but that won’t stop you lashing out from your high horse. Clap clap.

It's incredible really that the HSE has had such difficulty locating PPE.

My own workplace purchased 1,000 medical grade face masks at the start of March just in case. We are all working from home now so they are unlikely to be used, but it shows that if you want PPE it was there to be purchased at the start of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

bush wrote: »
    I think they are confused too by looks of it.

I think that's precisely the issue....
    They started with a clear objective of flattening the curve and preventing thr overwhelming of ICUs, etc.

We've achieved that and now they are not at all clear what their objectives are imho.

E.g. if it is to acquire herd immunity there is a string case to be made to try to actively infect younger age cohorts while protecting older ones & risk groups. E.g. in this strategy, schools & unis should definitely resume...

But tbh, it looks like the NPHet are more than a little confused as to what thr best strategy is and as a result are opting for an unfeasible, hugely discomoding, massively expensive disease suppression strategy.... which in an open, connected country like Ireland will almost also certainly fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

hmmm wrote: »
    They're notoriously unreliable. I agree with the HSE not investing in these until they are proven to be better, we don't need to be wasting money on tests. The UK only signed off on one yesterday, it's too soon for Ireland to be spending tens of millions on a test.

[url] https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-dr-scott-gottlieb-says-he-would-take-three-antibody-tests-to-ensure-accuracy.htm[/url]

The finger prick rubbish is unreliable, I have posted many times why this is so.

The UK signed up to the Roche test below which is a serum based ElectroChemiLuminescence immunoassay test on the electsys platform. Very reliable.

Although caution is often welcome, this might lead to a bigger problem. The test can only be run on the platform... that platform is now going be in huge demand especially in the UK and other countries that have committed and are moving forward with the test. They will be buying up all the instrumentation available.

Ireland have already several of these platforms but they are used in hospitals and what I have been told already at capacity. To ramp up additional testing they need to invest in more equipment but so is every other country in the world.

Ireland’s testing woes has mainly been about capacity that’s what they always said, it’s lack of instrumentation from the start which they partly resolved but they still rely on the Germans. You don’t want to be that parent on Xmas eve looking for that sought after toy.

Ah come on now, Roche antibody tests give 99.8% accuracy.

Surely thats reliable?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-05-13/u-k-boosted-in-virus-fight-by-clearance-of-roche-antibody-test

Being taken up by Germany, US and UK now.

This is the way forward

"Roche’s antibody test won emergency use in the U.S. earlier this month and clearance for countries accepting Europe’s CE marking. On May 4, the U.K. government said it was in talks with the company about a mass roll-out of its tests. The Swiss pharmaceutical giant expects production to reach the high double-digit millions by June and pass the 100 million monthly threshold later this year."

Do you know what else is unreliable? Covid testing!

The tests we use only have 70% sensitivity.

We get false negatives all the time. Even people with severe symptoms who have been in close contact with confirmed cases have received negative results.

The test itself is at least 95-98% accurate.

The test is only as good as the sample collected, if the sample was taken correctly in the first place and it swabbed up virus then it will more or less definitely be positive.

There’s two draw backs to taking the test.

a) the swab has to be correctly inserted and scoop up the virus, it maybe touch part of the respiratory system that has a low viral load or just not inserted far enough.

b) you can be infected and be outside the test window, ie test too soon before the virus has had a chance to present it self at the swab site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Corona20

Condolences and RIP.
    Don't think his height has any relevance though.

I am truely sorry for that boys death.
    But Jesus that post made me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

daithi7 wrote: »
    I think that's precisely the issue....
    They started with a clear objective of flattening the curve and preventing thr overwhelming of ICUs, etc.

We've achieved that and now they are not at all clear what their objectives are imho.

E.g. if it is to acquire herd immunity there is a string case to be made to try to actively infect younger age cohorts while protecting older ones & risk groups. E.g. in this strategy, schools & unis should definitely resume...

But tbh, it looks like the NPHet are more than a little confused as to what thr best strategy is and as a result are opting for an unfeasible, hugely discomoding, massively expensive disease suppression strategy.... which in an open, connected country like Ireland will almost also certainly fail.

Has been said before and discredited..herd immunity does not figure in this country. Only mentioned by the odd person who has no clue , like Boris .
    This virus may not confer immunity , or if so , only for a limited time frame. They are talking about a number of people maybe having immunity for 2 to 3 months, others, less , or not at all.

Aim is to get disease rate of transmission down , which it is, and try to keep it down while allowing some easing.
    Schools and unis stage distancing? Half inmornings, half in evenings or every second day .

Heard doc on Tonight show last night , saying might be years before treatment found and may never find a vaccine, as in Malaria.
    If that is so it'll be a cycle of easing and back to lockdown whenever the virus surges.
    Very depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Has been said before and discredited..herd immunity does not figure in this country. Only mentioned by the odd person who has no clue , like Boris .
    This virus may not confer immunity , or if so , only for a limited time frame. They are talking about a number of people maybe having immunity for 2 to 3 months, others, less , or not at all.

Aim is to get disease rate of transmission down , which it is, and try to keep it down while allowing some easing.
    Schools and unis stage distancing? Half inmornings, half in evenings or every second day .

Heard doc on Tonight show last night , saying might be years before treatment found and may never find a vaccine, as in Malaria.
    If that is so it'll be a cycle of easing and back to lockdown whenever the virus surges.
    Very depressing.

If people don’t acquire immunity from the virus then a vaccine can’t be found as that’s how vaccines work. Inject non-viable virus to stimulate antibody production within the body.

If that’s the case then lockdown is pointless too as it is unsustainable. Anyone we’ve protected from getting the virus now will just get it down the line.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    The test itself is at least 95-98% accurate.

The test is only as good as the sample collected, if the sample was taken correctly in the first place and it swabbed up virus then it will more or less definitely be positive.

There’s two draw backs to taking the test.

a) the swab has to be correctly inserted and scoop up the virus, it maybe touch part of the respiratory system that has a low viral load or just not inserted far enough.

b) you can be infected and be outside the test window, ie test too soon before the virus has had a chance to present it self at the swab site.

Have been watching BBC news where at UK testing sites, soldiers wearing flimsy masks and only plastic aprons were handing the swans to the people to swab themselves! Of course this is why they were getting away with minimal PPE.
    And tonight people were being given swabs at their door to do themselves and leave on the doorstep for the"tester"to collect !
    It is not either correct or advisable to let people do their own swabs , unless they are trained healthcare professionals .
    Or if , they want a lot of negative tests ?
    It is uncomfortable to do it properly and people usually gag .
    How many people will continue with the swab themselves , once they gag?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Very depressing.

That would be very depressing that's for sure, it'll be like the weather and our way of life would change.
    It would be like living in a different dimension, people will become self-sufficient and rely less on technology and go back to nature.

Depressing for some, breathing space and I told you so for others...

I feel asleep in an iron age ringfort Burren on a hike today and it was the most natural thing in the world to me, the camera's and binoculars tripod etc were beside me it was a moment of pure bliss...to me that's living a simple life of contentment. All that around me and dozed off for an hour and a half.

I met a fox, a few ravens flying over and cronking...

Sky lark's tweeting and the odd goat eating through the dense hazel wood....

I'll adapt easily enough, but hopefully this thing will be gone and never come back to these shore's...

I'd prefer people to get back to their lives before this took off, because I enjoy solitude and meeting people too.

If people don’t acquire immunity from the virus then a vaccine can’t be found as that’s how vaccines work. Inject non-viable virus to stimulate antibody production within the body.

If that’s the case then lockdown is pointless too as it is unsustainable. Anyone we’ve protected from getting the virus now will just get it down the line.

Vaccines may stimulate antibodies in some but not all , as happens with some vaccines now . But the advantage is that you don't get sick, which with this,would be major.
    And ..Lockdown isn't pointless , if it reduces numbers of sick and infected people , and transmission rates, so things can be eased again for a while.
    Better to have some level of restriction based normality , than no restrictions , but widespread infection and rising deaths, as in Italy.
    But if it is to go and on like that it is going to be very tough.

nthclare wrote: »
    That would be very depressing that's for sure, it'll be like the weather and our way of life would change.
    It would be like living in a different dimension, people will become self-sufficient and rely less on technology and go back to nature.

Depressing for some, breathing space and I told you so for others...

I feel asleep in an iron age ringfort Burren on a hike today and it was the most natural thing in the world to me, the camera's and binoculars tripod etc were beside me it was a moment of pure bliss...to me that's living a simple life of contentment. All that around me and dozed off for an hour and a half.

I met a fox, a few ravens flying over and cronking...

Sky lark's tweeting and the odd goat eating through the dense hazel wood....

I'll adapt easily enough, but hopefully this thing will be gone and never come back to these shore's...

I'd prefer people to get back to their lives before this took off, because I enjoy solitude and meeting people too.

I get you, the peace is lovely if you can get out to enjoy it , but so many couldn't manage or sustain their lives and families like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Vaccines may stimulate antibodies in some but not all , as happens with some vaccines now . But the advantage is that you don't get sick, which with this,would be major.
    And ..Lockdown isn't pointless , if it reduces numbers of sick and infected people , and transmission rates, so things can be eased again for a while.
    Better to have some level of restriction based normality , than no restrictions , but widespread infection and rising deaths, as in Italy.
    But if it is to go and on like that it is going to be very tough.

I’m not arguing but if you get a vaccine for something and that vaccine doesn’t work for you, you can still become sick with that disease if you get infected.

Have been watching BBC news where at UK testing sites, soldiers wearing flimsy masks and only plastic aprons were handing the swans to the people to swab themselves! Of course this is why they were getting away with minimal PPE.
    And tonight people were being given swabs at their door to do themselves and leave on the doorstep for the"tester"to collect !
    It is not either correct or advisable to let people do their own swabs , unless they are trained healthcare professionals .
    Or if , they want a lot of negative tests ?
    It is uncomfortable to do it properly and people usually gag .
    How many people will continue with the swab themselves , once they gag?

I have been tested myself 3 times, done right it will make your eyes water and cough. This is why the collector needs to wear proper PPE.

Anal swab would probably be more reliable as virus is present in stool up to 4 days before symptoms. Even better is crap in a white jar, although the scientists back at the lab would get jack of that after a while.

Ok. So the HSE have had 2 months of relatively empty hospital's to plan for what is ahead.

And now that private companies are taking initiative to plan ahead the HSE has been blindsided.

Where do get that from?

Many hospitals busy with a lot of extra type of work than normal . Maybe less patients but many either in protective isolation or Covid 19 positive .
    Do you know how long it takes to gown up and remove PPE to treat a Covid patient? And how long to check its done correctly ?
    Nurses going home exhausted with sore hands and faces from PPE , having no help with childcare , and not being able to hug their own families.

The only hospitals not that busy are the private ones , withtheir private patients cancelled through no fault of their own , and they are now treating non Covid patients.
    Don't confuse HSE planning , or lack of , with how hard frontline staff are working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Where do get that from?

Most hospitals on full tilt with a lot of extra work than normal . Maybe less patients but many either in protective isolation or Covid 19 positive .
    Do you know how long it takes to gown up and remove PPE to treat a Covid patient? And how long to check its done correctly ?
    Nurses going home exhausted with sore hands and faces from PPE , having no help with childcare , and not being able to hug their own families.

The only hospitals not that busy are the private ones , withtheir private patients cancelled through no fault of their own , and they are now treating non Covid patients.
    Don't confuse HSE planning , or lack of , with how hard frontline staff are working

All elective surgeries and procedures have been cancelled. Screenings and testing for various cancers are suspended and all organ transplants have also been cancelled.
    A&E is like a ghost town, to the point that there is widespread concern that patients experiencing chest pain, heart attacks, strokes etc simply aren’t presenting to hospital for fear of either burdening the system or catching covid-19.

According to an email sent out to all staff in CUH posted earlier in the thread, there is currently a grand total of 4 inpatients with covid-19 in that hospital. Of those 4 patients, one is in ICU.
    Cork has the 3rd highest amount of cases & community transmission and yet there are only 4 cases of coronavirus receiving medical care.
    I know two people working in that hospital, one is medical staff and one is a porter and they both have confirmed that this is among the quietest they’ve ever seen the hospital.

If there are currently only 4 inpatients in Cork, Ireland’s second city, then there is surely at least a few counties with zero daily cases reported and zero hospitalisations.

They, along with the private hospitals, are all lying empty waiting for a surge that isn’t coming because we’re all locked in our homes. Meanwhile the healthcare system is all but paralysed and not working to it’s maximum potential.
    It’s a massive waste of resources.

That said I do know another person working as a clerical officer and she is flat out and working overtime, rearranging appointments etc.
    I would believe that the admin departments are currently up the walls but with the amount of cancelled services & with what we know is happening in CUH, I find it hard to believe that any of our hospitals are running at their full capacity at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Where do get that from?

Most hospitals on full tilt with a lot of extra work than normal .
    No they are not.

In fact many Drs have been told not to come in.

My friend is a pediatrician. He wanted to volunteer. The hse won't let him. They can't get their act together. His words.

Similarly my cousin and her husband are both working in the mater. But they have no child care. So they are working with both of them alternating each day.

Its the same for a lot of Drs Nurses etc. They can't get childcare right now for obv reasons.

I’m not arguing but if you get a vaccine for something and that vaccine doesn’t work for you, you can still become sick with that disease if you get infected.

Yes ,of course.
    But you said if antibodies aren't formed against the virus , no point in a vaccine
    If that was the case it would only be trialled as a temporary measure.
    The flu vaccine is a temporary measure as it doesn't work for all but is still recommended and does provide temporary immunity . It has to be modified every year as the virus mutates.
    This may be the case with this virus.
    They have found differing immunity levels , from none , to some , shortlived but still better if given by vaccine if possible, or by injecting antibody serum .
    Anything is better than allowing the disease to infect people.
    If it stays endemic in the community, it could mutate and be even more dangerous , even to younger people.
    As it is this virus causes an inflammatory disease in some children , weeks after they have recovered from a seemingly mild illness and can cause heart damage in some .

SusieBlue wrote: »
    All elective surgeries and procedures have been cancelled. Screenings and testing for various cancers are suspended and all organ transplants have also been cancelled.
    A&E is like a ghost town, to the point that there is widespread concern that patients experiencing chest pain, heart attacks, strokes etc simply aren’t presenting to hospital for fear of either burdening the system or catching covid-19.

According to an email sent out to all staff in CUH posted earlier in the thread, there is currently a grand total of 4 inpatients with covid-19 in that hospital. Of those 4 patients, one is in ICU.
    Cork has the 3rd highest amount of cases & community transmission and yet there are only 4 cases of coronavirus receiving medical care.
    I know two people working in that hospital, one is medical staff and one is a porter and they both have confirmed that this is among the quietest they’ve ever seen the hospital.

If there are currently only 4 inpatients in Cork, Ireland’s second city, then there is surely at least a few counties with zero daily cases reported and zero hospitalisations.

They, along with the private hospitals, are all lying empty waiting for a surge that isn’t coming because we’re all locked in our homes. Meanwhile the healthcare system is all but paralysed and not working to it’s maximum potential.
    It’s a massive waste of resources.

That said I do know another person working as a clerical officer and she is flat out and working overtime, rearranging appointments etc.
    I would believe that the admin departments are currently up the walls but with the amount of cancelled services & with what we know is happening in CUH, I find it hard to believe that any of our hospitals are running at their full capacity at the moment.[/quote

Well bless you,for your information from Cork, where I know many nursing staff, none of whom would agree with that description of their current situation!
    As I said the different working conditions have increased the work load and a lot of staff redeployed to ICU, highdependency units ,and smaller hospitals treating nonCovid.
    Numbers are not as high,thanks to the same restrictions,you complain about.
    Surprising that , given you say you have received such good care previously with frequent screening that you seem to be complaining that the hospitals are not overflowing .
    I am pleased that conditions in Cork are so good. Maybe you will be able to get that test soon then .

Dublin is not so well thank you.
    I will not give you specifics but noone here is twiddling their thumbs.
    Everything slower in Aand E , and some outpatients because it has to be regulated and distanced and any mistake or lack of mindfulness could mean infecting a patient or themselves.
    All non Covid patients who are categorised urgent are having treatment and surgery either in segregated areas of the hospitals, or more immunocompromised patients are moved to smaller hospitals or private .
    I , and another family member have been treated for non Covid related , but urgent conditions during this crisis, in 2 different Dublin hospitals.

Screening or routine screening as such ,is paused , but is present for any patient if they are concerned ,but yes, it needs to be started again, all agree there.
    So you think admin staff are working harder than clinical staff, hmmm,interesting .
    I wonder who told you that?

No they are not.

In fact many Drs have been told not to come in.

My friend is a pediatrician. He wanted to volunteer. The hse won't let him. They can't get their act together. His words.

Similarly my cousin and her husband are both working in the mater. But they have no child care. So they are working with both of them alternating each day.

Its the same for a lot of Drs Nurses etc. They can't get childcare right now for obv reasons.

You misread my post. Or maybe I need to write it clearer.(edited now)
    I didn't say a lot more patients, I said a lot of work in the different conditions for staff, working all day in PPE ,restrictions in movement between parts of hospital etc.

As regards childcare , I totally agree ,the situation is impossible for people with small children who are continuing to work and give service throughout this lockdown .
    People are being told to take their holidays so they can mind their children, while they still can .
    A lot of volunteers that were called to sign up were not needed after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Well bless you,for your information from Cork, where I know many nursing staff, none of whom would agree with that description of their current situation!
    As I said the different working conditions have increased the work load and a lot of staff redeployed to ICU, highdependency units ,and smaller hospitals treating nonCovid.
    Numbers are not as high,thanks to the same restrictions,you complain about.
    Surprising that , given you say you have received such good care previously with frequent screening that you seem to be complaining that the hospitals are not overflowing .
    I am pleased that conditions in Cork are so good. Maybe you will be able to get that test soon then .

Dublin is not so well thank you.
    I will not give you specifics but noone here is twiddling their thumbs.
    Everything slower in Aand E , and some outpatients because it has to be regulated and distanced and any mistake or lack of mindfulness could mean infecting a patient or themselves.
    All non Covid patients who are categorised urgent are having treatment and surgery either in segregated areas of the hospitals, or more immunocompromised patients are moved to smaller hospitals or private .
    I , and another family member have been treated for non Covid related , but urgent conditions during this crisis, in 2 different Dublin hospitals.

Screening or routine screening as such ,is paused , but is present for any patient if they are concerned ,but yes, it needs to be started again, all agree there.
    So you think admin staff are working harder than clinical staff, hmmm,interesting .
    I wonder who told you that?

Is there a need for the patronising condescending tone? I’m sure your nursing friends will be able to confirm the legitimacy of the email in that case, it’s a daily report sent out to all staff to update them on the current numbers in the hospital.

Logically what you are saying makes no sense.
    If we know there are a minuscule amount of patients with covid-19 in our hospitals and a significant amount of services cancelled indefinitely, how on earth are they rushed off their feet in there?
    We’re talking thousands of staff here from all these various departments, they can’t all be busy with testing because that still isn’t up to standard either.

So where are they? It makes no sense.
    The private hospitals are lying empty while the public ones are running at a significantly reduced capacity, that’s what’s happening across the country.

I don’t complain that the hospitals aren’t overflowing, what an infantile assumption to make.
    I take issue with the fact that they are offering reduced services at the expense of the public for no good reason. They are not overwhelmed with covid patients. The ICU’s are not under pressure.
    There is no longer any justification for these other services & procedures to be postponed or delayed.

Dublin is the Irish epicentre so not surprising their situation is different. Perhaps different restrictions might be necessary there, but again, it doesn’t justify locking down the whole country.
    That said I heard that a midlands hospital is forcing some of its healthcare staff to take annual leave the last week or so, because they are that quiet.

I believe you when you say say you have received treatment for an urgent medical issue during the pandemic. That’s good to hear.
    Unfortunately that isn’t everyone’s experience, as has now been highlighted here numerous times now.

I recall a lady whose partners heart surgery was cancelled who subsequently unfortunately passed away.
    I recall two separate posters posting about how worried they were that their urgent non covid related procedures had been cancelled indefinitely.
    Someone else who you advised to ‘call the clinic if you’re worried’, rang and was basically fobbed off.
    Someone else was concerned about a friend who is waiting on a transplant and getting more worried by the day, as the services have now been suspended for just over 2 months.
    So just because you have been able to access adequate medical care doesn’t mean everyone else has, and that’s what the issue is here.
    They can’t all be lying and they can’t all be wrong.

And as for your last point, quite hilarious that you appear to take offence when I never said anything of the sort about hard workers.
    I said the clerical officer tells me they are extremely busy, while the porter & HCA tells me things have never been so quiet. Big difference between that and you assumed meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

prunudo wrote: »
    I noticed that the other night that they reported Irish water telling us to conserve water as domestic useage was up 25%, no **** sherlock, everyone is locked up in their homes the last 7 weeks. And not a mention of the lack of usage from all the offices and business that are closed.

Did they mention the unseasonably dry weather?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid19-hospital-5099359-May2020/

Unbelievable stuff
    The numbers cannot be trusted because of the ineptitude of the public sector
    All Public sector was inept before this ‘crisis’ came along and will be inept long after its over

We now have teachers raging that school will return in September, in the UK The government is threatening to go nuclear on them and the Irish government must watch and learn

This crisis can be used as an excuse to fillet the public sector, cut the fat.
    What i would not give to be given free reign - I would burn it all down
    From legal aid to powerful public sector unions we would watch it all burn

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IT reckons we're good to ease things on Monday, but..
    The Cabinet is meeting on Friday to discuss the easing of restrictions from Monday, to which NPHET has given the green light.
    Public health officials have recommended to the Government that face-coverings should be worn indoors where social distancing cannot be practised.
    Measures will include allowing four people from different households to meet outside, but the Government may move to clarify that people only meet in groups of four once a day.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-private-hospitals-threaten-to-pull-out-of-state-deal-if-hse-does-not-increase-patients-1.4253879

.. I can see 2 things in that which won't happen anyway. I know someone who's been asked to return to work on Monday in a small business (like under 5 employees). No arrangements for social distancing, cleaning etc have been made, and they haven't been asked to complete any forms certifying their return to work.

Small places like this with that sort of attitude will be widespread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid19-hospital-5099359-May2020/

Unbelievable stuff
    The numbers cannot be trusted because of the ineptitude of the public sector
    All Public sector was inept before this ‘crisis’ came along and will be inept long after its over

We now have teachers raging that school will return in September, in the UK The government is threatening to go nuclear on them and the Irish government must watch and learn

This crisis can be used as an excuse to fillet the public sector, cut the fat.
    What i would not give to be given free reign - I would burn it all down
    From legal aid to powerful public sector unions we would watch it all burn

Welfare and Revenue within a few weeks mobilised the resources to ensure that so many people received their Covid 19 payment. Hospital staff have made an incredible personal sacrifice in terms of managing the health crisis. Perhaps best not to taint the whole public sector because of an administrative effort. Plus burn the public sector now in terms of pay and everyone will be affected. The last thing business needs now is austerity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement