Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

This is the funniest thing I read on boards.

Anyways, you all need to donate your masks to HSE. You need to clap for HSE staff. While they concentrate their efforts on 1 individual in Cork who is on a ventilator.

They are flat out, so much so that they post here and keep us updated on how busy they "are".

PS I am fairly certain Ireland won't be able to afford 1bn a year for single use PPE, so yes you gotta re use your PPE. That is called life we live in.

I'm actually delighted people are starting to see through HSE staff and their sense of entitlement. We have 2 patients in the Covid ward! Yes 2, and one of them will be discharged probably today or tomorrow. We have 12 empty beds on my unit out of 24, none of them are covid related. I like others have been asked to start taking annual leave!

None of us are "heroes" I cant buy into that crap. I've a job for life in the public sector with a pension, why would I complain? Nurse's have this sense of entitlement and love to blow how great they are. I see it everyday. Yes I'm sure certain Hospitals ICU departments were busy at some stage but not for long. I haven't had to shop for 8 weeks with all the food that has been dropped into us, while most people are struggling, but sure yea I'm a "hero" I just cant sit here and lie to say it's busy when it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do all these idiots not realise that the lockdown is the reason we didn't see scenes like Italy and Spain? Has everyone just forgot what happened there?
    Would this be all the idiots you see around outside giving each other the virus, while you're out yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Countries were following each other with what seemed to be working.

Perhaps but they ought to at least use more scepticism in hindsight, rather than seek retroactive justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

From RTE
    A draft document from the Italian government says free movement within separate regions of the country will be allowed from 18 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Do all these idiots not realise that the lockdown is the reason we didn't see scenes like Italy and Spain? Has everyone just forgot what happened there?

Well seeing how Spain & Italy are opening up bars and restaurants 1st of June, it does seem like everybody forgot what happened there. Or maybe they realised Covid isnt deadly enough to warrant poverty.

Reality is, Sweden did not do what Ireland did. Sweden did not experience Italy or Spain. In fact Ireland number of deaths per 1 million is 300, In Sweden its 340.

Lockdown did seem to have very little effect on deaths. On the economic front though, 28% unemployment versus 7% in Sweden. Yeah. Not good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

growleaves wrote: »
    Perhaps but they ought to at least use more scepticism in hindsight, rather than seek retroactive justifications.
    The luxury of hindsight is that it can make everything just fine. This has been a learning experience all round and one that we hope can make future responses to such situations the very best they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭SNNUS

The Netflix party will be over soon and reality will bite.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0515/1138560-donohoe-on-reopening-of-economy/

but please don't link to a bloody YouTube video

Lol

I prefer text myself. He is a Microbiology and Infectious Diseases expert at the University of Johannes-Gutenberg-University in Mainz.

growleaves, do you think lockdowns saved lives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

SNNUS wrote: »

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0515/1138560-donohoe-on-reopening-of-economy/

My sister is getting these 350 a week. As much as I love her I hope they dont continue this madness. Its absolute nonsense to have 3 month further lockdown for pubs etc while other countries have indoor weddings with 100 - 500 people capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE hosptial report released this morning.

As of 8pm last night there were 59 confirmed covid cases in ICU.

Likewise as of 8pm there were 419 confirmed cases in acute hospitals, that number 24hr previously was 449.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

From RTE
    A draft document from the Italian government says free movement within separate regions of the country will be allowed from 18 May.

Only 2 months before we can even freely move within our own counties

Very frustrating how slow our plan is

Are we really over 2 months behind Italy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Rant : I was listening to Stephen Donnelly on newstalk this am, shadow health minister talking about the 115 m per week being spent (squandered more like) on private hospitals which are only 40% utilised, now that the pubic sector, incompetent HSE monolith have taken over running them....

Worse, the state claims agency have written to any rivate consultants who are working pro bono to inform then that any test results that they request for patients (assumedly cos they're really concerned about them) will not be processed cos they're not part of the new system.

Grrrrrrrrr, if I could find the stupid civil servant who signed off on that really dumb letter, & refusal of action, I would beat 10 shades of sugar out of them.....

Then I'd send them to a private consultant and let the consultant inform them that the tests they ordered for them can't be done for them cos they're private!! Grrr grrr

Worse, the grossly inefficient machine that thr HSE is just want to extend their already unnecessary 3 month private healthcare takeover to 5 months.... just in case.

These people need to get real... we don't have all the resources in the world to n be mis allocating from real medicine to maybe medicine....

Also they should be processing all tests & scans private consultants request, like is that not too flippin obvious!? Grrrrrrr......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

It's like an alternative universe in here at times. Same posters would be moaning about the gubberment if they sat on their hands and did nothing. Bizarre.

risteard7 wrote: »
    I'm actually delighted people are starting to see through HSE staff and their sense of entitlement. We have 2 patients in the Covid ward! Yes 2, and one of them will be discharged probably today or tomorrow. We have 12 empty beds on my unit out of 24, none of them are covid related. I like others have been asked to start taking annual leave!

None of us are "heroes" I cant buy into that crap. I've a job for life in the public sector with a pension, why would I complain? Nurse's have this sense of entitlement and love to blow how great they are. I see it everyday. Yes I'm sure certain Hospitals ICU departments were busy at some stage but not for long. I haven't had to shop for 8 weeks with all the food that has been dropped into us, while most people are struggling, but sure yea I'm a "hero" I just cant sit here and lie to say it's busy when it's not

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. The whole hero thing is a bit cringe. I prob did go the extra mile over the course of the last couple of months but I'm in no way a hero and I'm compensated reasonably for my time including overtime. At the end of the day, I'm just doing my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SNNUS wrote: »

They'll extend to the end of July at least, perhaps the end of August.

The luxury of hindsight is that it can make everything just fine. This has been a learning experience all round and one that we hope can make future responses to such situations the very best they can be.

Yes but that will only be possible using strict standards of honesty - which mightn't be forthcoming from politicians who may now face blame.

I was insta-sceptical because from looking at every pandemic in history there was never anything like 'locking down' a fifth or quarter of the planet. This was a very extreme and heavy-handed response that had no precedent, at least in terms of scale.

seamus wrote: »
    They'll extend to the end of July at least, perhaps the end of August.

But the amount surely will be cut a little. Down to €200 perhaps, or €250. I think that it is a massive contributor to a public lethargy and lack of enthusiasm for moving out of this lockdown,

Aren’t you the class act!

Amazing you presumed i was fat shaming her.

The poster compared her with Tubs who i'd consider slim. The poster then corrected herself by saying she has curves.

For the record i think she's a stunner and in no way was i implying she was overweight.

It's bizarre the way everyone takes offence to everything these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Corona20 wrote: »
    I am truely sorry for that boys death.
    But Jesus that post made me laugh.

Good you had a laugh. The point was it doesn’t matter how big or strong or fit you are the virus can still wipe you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

daithi7 wrote: »
    Rant : I was listening to Stephen Donnelly on newstalk this am, shadow health minister talking about the 115 m per week being spent (squandered more like) on private hospitals which are only 40% utilised, now that the pubic sector, incompetent HSE monolith have taken over running them....

Worse, the state claims agency have written to any rivate consultants who are working pro bono to inform then that any test results that they request for patients (assumedly cos they're really concerned about them) will not be processed cos they're not part of the new system.

Grrrrrrrrr, if I could find the stupid civil servant who signed off on that really dumb letter, & refusal of action, I would beat 10 shades of sugar out of them.....

Then I'd send them to a private consultant and let the consultant inform them that the tests they ordered for them can't be done for them cos they're private!! Grrr grrr

Worse, the grossly inefficient machine that thr HSE is just want to extend their already unnecessary 3 month private healthcare takeover to 5 months.... just in case.

These people need to get real... we don't have all the resources in the world to n be mis allocating from real medicine to maybe medicine....

Also they should be processing all tests & scans private consultants request, like is that not too flippin obvious!? Grrrrrrr......

The same Stephen Donnelly, shadow health minister, who was quite happy to support FG and their health policies for the last 5 years or so?
    Talk is cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. The whole hero thing is a bit cringe. I prob did go the extra mile over the course of the last couple of months but I'm in no way a hero and I'm compensated reasonably for my time including overtime. At the end of the day, I'm just doing my job.

I take it back dazzler, you're not the threads Walter Mitty, you're it's '80's action hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Yes and fair play but people look at Italy or Spain on sky News and think "oh Dublin or Cork must be the same" when it's nowhere near that level nor has it been.

Yes but that will only be possible using strict standards of honesty - which mightn't be forthcoming from politicians who may now face blame.

I was insta-sceptical because from looking at every pandemic in history there was never anything like 'locking down' a fifth or quarter of the planet. This was a very extreme and heavy-handed response that had no precedent, at least in terms of scale.

Which was the exact reason for the payment. If it hadn't of been in place it would have been every man/woman for themselves.

I'd say they'll announce a 4 week extension of the 350 and then reduce it to 203 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Our response to Covid has been full of errors (e.g. testing, ppe, nursing homes, totally unnecessary , expensive takeover of the private healthcare system, etc) , but that was all kind of understandable in the crisis phase.

It's now clear to me that we should be returning towards a new normal a few things need to happen:
    - emphasis should be on social distancing, hygiene and TTI (testing, tracing & isolation) as THESE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE PROVEN TO ACTUALLY WORK.

- the private healthcare system should be returned to it's owners pronto, with perhaps an option kept on 20% of the beds that the HSE says it wants to keep an option on

- the national strategy should be better articulated so that people are better informed & can buy in fully to the national effort. (Luke what is the current strategy? Refer to my earlier post ~10 pages ago)

- opening up the country should be accelerated (deaths, cases, ICUs usage all too low to justify this level of gdp loss, unemployment making, life disrupting mandates imho)

- specific things like schools & unis should be looked at also( evidence kids under 10 are not vectors & these are low low risk groups in a un infected country now)

- Nphet recommendations should be strictly advisory and also should be costed and weighed up on a cost/ benefit basis by an expert committee containing economists, bankers, accountants and other private sector expertise, which the national effort has clearly lacked to date.

- if we're going to have to live with this virus for several years, as a society we need to become better at managing any outbreaks and get back to a new productive normal asap (I.e without spending any more of our grand children's savings paying half the national workforce from the public purse, etc, etc, etc

Apples and Dinosaurs - Lets compare Ethiopia, Burundi and Myanmar to Belgium, Italy and Spain

Which was the exact reason for the payment. If it hadn't of been in place it would have been every man/woman for themselves.

I'd say they'll announce a 4 week extension of the 350 and then reduce it to 203 after that.

Are you sure you have replied to the right poster?

I am not disputing the payment of 350 a week.

Apples and Dinosaurs - Lets compare Ethiopia, Burundi and Myanmar to Belgium, Italy and Spain

Oh my Lord. We can only compare countries that did have a lockdown and those that didn't.

The obsessive Swede-o-mania on this site is because it is reasonable to assume that Sweden is similar to other (Northern) European countries.

Yet posters have tried to dodge this and say that Sweden is different culturally, geographically etc.

If you're saying differences between countries are too great for lockdown to have a significant effect on outcomes, then you are admitting that the effect of lockdown is trivial

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

risteard7 wrote: »

Yeah I live with a healthcare worker who used to work 5 days a week before the crisis and is now oddly on a 3 day week. (much to my annoyance as I have to WFH so that means her under my feet 4 days a week. And don't get me started on her milking her essential travel pass for all its worth for social purposes while chastising everyone else in the house to "not even think about doing anything that might put you at risk as you do a great disrespect to all frontline health workers"). Other people I know in healthcare also report that it's quite quiet. Fair enough, if things had gone differently they could all be in a very bad situation right now.

• Advertisement

If you're saying that there is no way to gauge the efficacy of lockdown, you're basically admitting that its unproven.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement