Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

jibber5000 wrote: »
    It was beyond cringeworthy. Especially when most of these doctors were earning >100k in Australia & New Zealand and were flown home for free.

What makes it worse is that the vast majority arnt working as the hospitals don't need them.

Hospitals are overstaffed due to the low patient volume.
    Yet there are another 1,000 junior doctors starting work on Monday to further oversaturate the system.

The worst was when they were given apartments rent free. Existing medics who have worked in the system all this time were very put out by that.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    It was beyond cringeworthy. Especially when most of these doctors were earning >100k in Australia & New Zealand and were flown home for free.

What makes it worse is that the vast majority arnt working as the hospitals don't need them.

Hospitals are overstaffed due to the low patient volume.
    Yet there are another 1,000 junior doctors starting work on Monday to further oversaturate the system.

Didn't you do medicine as a postgraduate? It's a bit rich talking about job saturation. Post graduate medicine in places like UL is the reason that the market (for doctors) is over-saturated.

Is it a case of "I'm already on the boat. Pull up the ladder."

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone. It's with O'Leary in the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

growleaves, do you think lockdowns saved lives?

There is no argument that the lockdown did not save countless lives, short term at least. Whether it simply pushed deaths to a later date is a different discussion

firstly there should be no lockdown and no 350 covid payment.
    then no covid payment is needed to be processed weekly.
    your role then is not necessary and you are free to come work in the real world i.e private sector

i dont care about people, charities, schools and those who live permanently off the welfare state. i will be honest here, i detest them.

why should hard working private sector employees pay large taxes to fund the lavish employee wages of public sector, government funded semi states and charities and the generous social welfare programs that exist for the welfare class.

I've worked in the Private Sector all my life, I only joined the Public Sector 6 months ago. I know the difference. These days I am very happy to have a job and a salary no matter how low. I earned FAR more in the Private sector so I expected to pay more taxes (into the Goverment coffers which pay so many social benefits we will all need in time so I do not begrudge it). The security in Public sector outweighs Private sector. The work is menial, repetitive and monotonous, but at this stage of my life its fine, no stress, I know what I'm doing, flexible working time ....enough pros for me. Far more stress in the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did you hear the doctor being interviewed on newstalk this morning? she was talking about how most european countries are sending there kids back to school soon, and they are already back in Denmark and the cases haven't shot up but Holohan doesnt believe the people saying children dont spread the virus like they first thought.

we really are unlucky to have someone like Holohan calling the shots. its depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The rate of infection has gone down. The lockdown saved 1000,s of lives simply by keeping people who had the virus
    From travelling to rural areas and towns. Of course most people who get the virus recover after a few weeks. Look at America it is now spreading all over the country and the
    no of infected people is increasing every day
    We have to compare ourselves with other country's to work out how important lockdowns are and how it stops the virus spreading

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Did you hear the doctor being interviewed on newstalk this morning? she was talking about how most european countries are sending there kids back to school soon, and they are already back in Denmark and the cases haven't shot up but Holohan doesnt believe the people saying children dont spread the virus like they first thought.

we really are unlucky to have someone like Holohan calling the shots. its depressing.

I would say he is right to question whether children cannot spread the virus, it seems bizarre, they can contract it but not spread it, no apparent explainations given as to why that might be.

Few new cases associated with school openings occurring is probably more to do with the hourly handwashing, class sizes reduced to a third of their original size, mandatory 2m distancing, reduced school hours and outdoor classes. BUt Ireland should be doing this, there is of course no risk of widespread infection with this level of restriction

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/coronavirus-how-denmark-fared-on-first-days-of-reopened-schools-1.4231385

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Reality bites.

Poster here who works at HSE, watch out :(

"NHS staff and key workers risking their lives in the coronavirus battle may face a two-year pay freeze as recession hits Britain.

A Treasury paper says axing public sector wage rises could save £6.5billion."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-coronavirus-heroes-face-two-22023781

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Didn't you do medicine as a postgraduate? It's a bit rich talking about job saturation. Post graduate medicine in places like UL is the reason that the market (for doctors) is over-saturated.

Is it a case of "I'm already on the boat. Pull up the ladder."

Romantic Ireland is dead and gone. It's with O'Leary in the grave

I'm specifically talking about the rush to lionise those returning home from Oz as heroes, free flights, free accomdation etc when most of them were going to be coming home anyway to start scheme jobs.

The market is definitely not oversaturated in normal circumstances.

But this year due to guaranteeing all international graduates jobs, starting interns two months early and no junior doctors going to Australia in July, we're going to be oversaturated.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Seriously, this is like chinese whispers, but with medical data.

Holohan didn't say he "doesn't believe" the people who claim children don't spread the virus. Merely that the evidence so far to support the assertion is still small and far from definite.

Denmark has sent kids back to school with strict distancing and other processes in place. The fact that they've seen no jump in cases, could mean that these measures are working, not that the kids can't spread it.

Any road, it's too late in the year now. I've no interest in sending the kids back to primary school for six weeks, especially if it's going to require complicated hygiene measures.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    The rate of infection has gone down. The lockdown saved 1000,s of lives simply by keeping people who had the virus
    From travelling to rural areas and towns. Of course most people who get the virus recover after a few weeks. Look at America it is now spreading all over the country and the
    no of infected people is increasing every day
    We have to compare ourselves with other country's to work out how important lockdowns are and how it stops the virus spreading

I didnt know this until someone put up the article but Irish cases = 23,827, Irish deaths = 1,506

slovinia cases = 1,500 slovinia deaths = 103. they have a population of 2 million by the way.

so it shows you how badly Ireland has done even with this lockdown. we have nothing to be thanking Holohan for in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It was the fact that it was such a small study he questioned. No schools till September at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We can't be making decisions based on "belief", we make decisions based on science and there is still a lot unknown about kids and this virus. The Irish government is taking a conservative approach, and I think most people are happy with that - let other countries experiment on their kids. If it works great, we'll open the schools.

seamus wrote: »
    Seriously, this is like chinese whispers, but with medical data.

Holohan didn't say he "doesn't believe" the people who claim children don't spread the virus. Merely that the evidence so far to support the assertion is still small and far from definite.

Denmark has sent kids back to school with strict distancing and other processes in place. The fact that they've seen no jump in cases, could mean that these measures are working, not that the kids can't spread it.

Any road, it's too late in the year now. I've no interest in sending the kids back to primary school for six weeks, especially if it's going to require complicated hygiene measures.

There are more people in the country than you. im sure there are a lot of people who would gladly send their kids back to school for a few weeks.

hmmm wrote: »
    We can't be making decisions based on "belief", we make decisions based on science and there is still a lot unknown about kids and this virus. The Irish government is taking a conservative approach, and I think most people are happy with that - let other countries experiment on their kids. If it works great, we'll open the schools.

not sure how you come to that conclusion but I don't agree, most people want to get back to work now, this is not living.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There are more people in the country than you. im sure there are a lot of people who would gladly send their kids back to school for a few weeks.

There are also people who need to get back to work and depend on school times to do that .I see now more and more grandparents stepping up to mind the kids .We have no choice .

We can't be making decisions based on "belief", we make decisions based on science. The Irish government is taking a conservative approach, and I think most people are happy with that - let other countries experiment on their kids. If it works great, we'll open the schools.

There is no science behind lockdowns, wearing masks outside of hospitals or making airplanes fly with empty middle seats.

Theres a lot of science behind washing your hands.

We are the country who are experimenting with our kids mental health and social abilities, and educational prospects too. We are damaging our kids. Unfortunately. And as Leo said, it will look pretty bad if we are the last country to get our kids back to school.

We need to change and fix things much faster than 21st of July or 10th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I didnt know this until someone put up the article but Irish cases = 23,827, Irish deaths = 1,506

slovinia cases = 1,500 slovinia deaths = 103. they have a population of 2 million by the way.

so it shows you how badly Ireland has done even with this lockdown. we have nothing to be thanking Holohan for in my opinion.

How much testing was Slovenia doing vs Ireland?

Numbers of confirmed cases or the ratio of deaths to confirmed cases are really not comarable unless you factor that in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Rumour is that we are moving to phase 0.75.

Reality bites.

"NHS staff and key workers risking their lives in the coronavirus battle may face a two-year pay freeze as recession hits Britain.

I am at the top of my payscale. Don't worry, chum. A pay freeze won't effect me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Its Ireland thats experimenting with children.

Long breaks from education have detrimental effects on those children throughout the rest of their eduction and applying themselves in their professional lives including high school dropout rates.

Children need routine to function in society as adults, and we will be the worst in Europe for education very soon

I am at the top of my payscale. Don't worry, chum. A pay freeze won't effect me.

Ohhh it's not the pay freeze you need to worry about. Pay freeze would our best case scenario.

Its a pay cut. Additional taxes to go with our claps for you. Did you forget pension levy already? Ah come on now. Are you protected from additional USC?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,352 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ohhh it's not the pay freeze you need to worry about. Pay freeze would our best case scenario.

Its a pay cut. Additional taxes to go with our claps for you. Did you forget pension levy already? Ah come on now. Are you protected from additional USC?
    Are you actually revelling in all of this?

There's a gloating undertone to all of your posts that's really unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mammychicken

uli84 wrote: »
    Yeah, drama starts, they should be happy they don’t have to go back on Monday the 18th

Hah, if they were on the pandemic payment/reduced wage they'd be long back and the LC would go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Long breaks from education have detrimental effects on those children throughout the rest of their eduction and applying themselves in their professional lives including high school dropout rates.

Children need routine to function in society as adults, and we will be the worst in Europe for education very soon

Wonder how those unfortunate side effects would balance with for example losing two grandparents to covid in the same year

Two months at home doing sweet feck all playing in the sunshine every day, good grief. You'd think that the children of ireland were being made do something difficult the way some are going on about it

Why do we have 3 month summer holidays every year if a long break is as detrimental as this then?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"High school dropouts" :rolleyes:

Evidence please for the claim that a 3-month break in education is detrimental over the lifetime of the student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Reality bites.

The consequences of lockdown. Everyone is going to have to pay whether they’re in the HSE or not and we’ll be paying for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

You should be more than able to outbid those pesky hairdressers on a few masks to save the lives of "your patients" so "doctor" no :rolleyes:

I suppose I am lucky to have my job. A few thousand extra euro off the take home salary...

I can make that up in a a couple of weekend locums over the course of the year (cash in hand of course).

Hope you have a job to go back to, old chum. This depression is going to be brutal.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are you actually revelling in all of this?

There's a gloating undertone to all of your posts that's really unpleasant.

I am very sorry if you think that reality has a gloating undertone.

You can choose not to read my posts btw, a bit like we chose to believe we saved lives and try not to think of all the spikes in cancer deaths we ll experience next year from HSE cancelling cancer screening for 2 months and then rescheduling them at a date 6 months later on because of built up queues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement