Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1261275179487035398

Misprint in the plan

I wonder how many more 'misprints' they will rely on in future?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

I saw a good point made that Greece, which has had very low numbers will actually suffer more in the long run as it will not have built up the required herd immunity to allow the tourist season to reopen again without a spike in cases.

At the moment it looks like Sweden will be the number one tourist destination in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Had the chance to move to Prague a few years ago. Should’ve taken it!

Oh lucky you, I know I'm planning on relocating to the continent when all is said and done. Either France or Germany.

Lads whatever about justified criticism and tbh I would be somewhat frustrated with the lack of hard criteria myself and I also think there is a good bit of arse covering in our slow approach.

And all that.

But I was in IKEA before myself and not just once. a) Its layout is very tight and it is also often very very full. b) Also it is the only store in the country and most of its customers would be outside its 5km radius.

They could probably deal with (a) but probably not so much with (b).

I may not like it and I may even think our plan is overly cautious. But the government put out a plan and they will have to be consistent with it whether you like the plan or not. Only thing worse than a plan that is too slow is a plan thats falling apart immediately.

Opening IKEA on Monday would not appear to be consistent with phase 1 tbh. Even I can see that.

Every other business has solved this problem by having queues out the door. If this is really the reason the NPHET are clearly way out of touch with what is actually happening. It’s about time the board was stacked with business people to bring some balance.

• Advertisement

It's a joke

What else have they conveniently got wrong on the original plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Lads whatever about justified criticism and tbh I would be somewhat frustrated with the lack of hard criteria myself and I also think there is a good bit of arse covering in our slow approach.

And all that.

But I was in IKEA before myself and not just once. a) Its layout is very tight and it is also often very very full. b) Also it is the only store in the country and most of its customers would be outside its 5km radius.

I may not like it and I may even think our plan is overly cautious. But the government put out a plan and they will have to be consistent with it whether you like the plan or not. Only thing worse than a plan that is too slow is a plan thats falling apart immediately.

Opening IKEA on Monday would not appear to be consistent with phase 1 tbh. Even I can see that.

I am sorry, what changes exactly on the 8th of June?? Less people queue to IKEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mr zulu

The Who organisation are telling us until a vaccine is available we will have to live along with coronavirus, so why not just get on with our lives and try to adjust to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

And all that.

It was included in phase 1 of the plan up until this morning.

Ikea is also not the only homeware store.

mr zulu wrote: »
    The Who organisation are telling us until a vaccine is available we will have to live along with coronavirus, so why not just get on with our lives and try to adjust to it.

I wouldnt listen to those WHO clowns.

"Just last month, the WHO warned that lifting coronavirus lockdowns was the “last thing” countries needed, and insisted shutdowns “are the best way to suppress and stop transmission”."

Then

"The World Health Organisation lavished praise on Sweden as “a future model” in the next phase of fighting the outbreak because it has trusted people to observe social distancing rules."

Clowns thought that Swedish population is the only one who can be trusted? Cringe.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sweden-is-a-model-for-the-new-coronavirus-normal-says-who-dd8fgw7d0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I've a feeling that we won't have reached stage 5 by October.

I think a lot of people seem to want that as well - which is even more frightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Surely by delaying the reopening of homeware stores such as IKEA/Homestore more/Local boutique Homeware stores etc until June 8th on the premise of queues being too long the problem will either be:

a) Worse, with further pent up demand now concentrated further around the latest published date, meaning the spread of the disease would be more pronounced than they think it'll be now.

or

b) Less, smaller queues, as the current recession has now taken a tighter grip and many of these stores will now never be able to reopen as people won't have the money to spend in the economy.

Seeing the current super conservative approach being taken seems fully focusing on health from COVID-19 and health alone, are they legitimately trying to induce a recession to artificially limit people's movement and write off another generation of Irish to be forced to move abroad again, another lost generation only 11 years after the last recession??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

At least when FF bankrupted us in 2008 we had fun along the way and built a few roads. Now we are going to be bankrupted over a period of weeks which will leave a legacy for years to come. Investors are looking at what we are doing and not doing, and thinking they will invest elsewhere where the climate is a bit more sensible (there are businesses and sites which will never open up).

The health risk is under control, the economy (and that is what puts meals on our tables) is spiralling out of control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

By every metric containment has worked.

'Every metric'.

https://twitter.com/danobrien20/status/1261226635765874689

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's quite worrying. I can see it's an easy misprint to make but what's more worrying is that document is the only indication businesses have on whether they're okay to open or not on Monday and so much is open to interpretation. The government should have been proactively liaising with businesses ahead of Monday to let them know whether they were good to go ahead or not.

Do you think that our government has an issue with how successful Sweden have been with their approach (given 100,000 dead Swedes predictions) so they are picking on IKEA?

That is the only possible reason I see for keeping IKEA closed for another 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Do you think that our government has an issue with how successful Sweden have been with their approach (given 100,000 dead Swedes predictions) so they are picking on IKEA?

That is the only possible reason I see for keeping IKEA closed for another 3 weeks.

:pac::pac::pac:

How's life in John of God's?

I can really see things descending into chaos in this country. The 5KM rule has absolutely no public support. Lots and lots will be looking to break this rule from Monday onwards and its going to be impossible to police. Businesses have had enough and are now piling pressure on the government to allow them to reopen.

We can't carry on like this into mid June.

It seems like when you lift lockdown restrictions, people dont die

"GOOD NEWS FROM DENMARK

It's the first day since March 22 that no one died from COVID-19 in Denmark, according to data from the public health authority.

The Scandinavian country has registered 537 coronavirus-related deaths. Some 137 coronavirus patients are still in hospital."

Where is that 2nd wave? Danish experiment with their children seems to be working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I am sorry, what changes exactly on the 8th of June?? Less people queue to IKEA?

I don't know that and I'm not going to defend the plan or that particular change. Like I said I would be rather critical of it myself.

But phase 1 is a very cautious opening (if you can call it that at all) and even phase 2 is not giving much. (again which I personally think is very very conservative)

But the plan is out and they can't abandon it on day 1. I can see how opening IKEA would not seem consistent with phase 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

They're saying 2 weeks ago they included homewares in error and yet they're only rectifying that mistake now? How is that even close to being good enough?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

One word for all of this.....cluster****

Stark wrote: »
    That's quite worrying. I can see it's an easy misprint to make but what's more worrying is that document is the only indication businesses have on whether they're okay to open or not on Monday and so much is open to interpretation. The government should have been proactively liaising with businesses ahead of Monday to let them know whether they were good to go ahead or not.

For the government to proactively liaise with business the government would actually need to be involved in the decision making process. We have a rubber stamp cabinet. We have separated the decision makers from the decision making process. It’s a slow motion calamity unfolding before our eyes. I have never been so pessimistic about Ireland’s future.

The Jman wrote: »
    They're saying 2 weeks ago they included homewares in error and yet they're only rectifying that mistake now? How is that even close to being good enough?

Would you say we have most incompetent government on the planet?

Yes I would, Kent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

At least when FF bankrupted us in 2008 we had fun along the way and built a few roads. Now we are going to be bankrupted over a period of weeks which will leave a legacy for years to come. Investors are looking at what we are doing and not doing, and thinking they will invest elsewhere where the climate is a bit more sensible (there are businesses and sites which will never open up).

The health risk is under control, the economy (and that is what puts meals on our tables) is spiralling out of control.

Said it before, will say it again...

The main difference between FF and FG is FG prove to be even WORSE in the long run. It's why they are only ever elected as a protest vote, and only until they make FF electable again (as they did this time out too!)

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Said it before, will say it again...

The main difference between FF and FG is FG prove to be even WORSE in the long run. It's why they are only ever elected as a protest vote, and only until they make FF electable again (as they did this time out too!)

To be fair to FG, they’re only getting hammered now because they decided to give their youth players a run out.

George Lee is like the minister for propaganda

Pretty much spewing out the government line

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

This is ridiculous. Home wear shops cannot open but shops like Dunnes and Tesco who have home wear sections have been opened weeks. Hardware shops and repair shops have been given the go ahead despite the fact a lot of them have already been open weeks. Ikea can’t open because people will flood the place so let’s move that to phase 2 when the 20k limit is introduced, where even more people can flood the place. As usual the Gov and NPHET are ten steps behind common sense.

This “easing” of restrictions is nothing more than an extended lockdown for 99% of us. And we have to wait another three weeks to see were we behaved enough to allow us move to stage 2, all while there’s tumbleweeds blowing in the hospitals. I have absolutely no faith in anyone in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

How's life in John of God's?

Bit of a ****ty below the belt thing to say but I guess it's par for the course for you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement